Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chains submerged in Diesel fuel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chains submerged in Diesel fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 05:21 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 189 Posts
Just a few weeks ago i gave away my 1972 Mercedes 220D. This thread has me missing her.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 08-28-23, 06:42 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I don’t think so.
He said he’s in Europe. He didn’t say where in Europe.
Frankfurt? He can probably get anything we can.
Rural Bulgaria? Maybe not. But you can get diesel pretty much anywhere on earth.
And it will work good enough to cut the old lube and flush enough grit out.

The poster from India who said he was a broke college student? Yep. I recommended flushing his freewheel with diesel.

The things many on BF seem to not understand. Not everyone lives in the USA or has access to the products the US has. Not everything is a drop bar road bike.

I saw some ****ed up houses and villages in the Balkans. That was 20+ years ago, so maybe things are better now, but they might not have access to Phil’s, or their wife might get pissed if they steal the crockpot to wax a chain.

But even in a war zone, you can find diesel. And some equivalent of ATF (5606 or 83282).
I would highly recommend to my Balkan comrades that they not waste their precious resources on something as pointless as degreasing a chain.
Old 08-28-23, 07:04 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
According to some of the above posts, it looks that Diesel is not corrosive. Point taken, thanks!

Just to avoid misunderstandings: it is not about using large tanks and quantities of Diesel. It is only about shaking and manipulating small quantities of 200-300 grams from one PET to another, once at 1-3 months (Winter included). Around 20-30 grams are lost every time, together with grit extracted from the chain. It is nothing special and it is not dirty at all, given the simplicity of the process and the small quantities involved. I started to use Diesel because it was easily available and the cost of a few hundred grams wasted per year is not material.

Since “mineral spirit” is suggested here as a better alternative than Diesel, then: How do I identify “Mineral spirit” on the EU market (I assume it is marketed under another name) and what would be its cost?
I asked the same question a while ago, this is the topic:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...an-amazon.html

Went with this one (German Amazon link):
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07416...roduct_details

It works OK.
But diesel isn't much worse in terms of cleaning and degreasing.
And is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper.

Relja BalkansGuy Novović
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 08-28-23, 08:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,246 Times in 2,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The point you missed was that I was making a joke about using something as nasty as diesel to clean bike parts. If I had said mineral spirits there would be no joke about toxicity, would there?
Your “joke” fell flat. Just accept it. And I said no one thing about toxicity. I was addressing its efficacy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-28-23, 09:04 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Kerosene

I use a plastic jug with kerosene to clean chains at end of season, because it's handy and works. I thread an old guitar string (thinnest ones) through the end of each chain, drop chain in jug of kerosene, and let strings hang out over lip before screwing on the top. As the OP stated, it's easy to give the jug an occasional shake and after a few days or weeks all the grit is in the bottom of container.

I pull them out, wipe down with old rag, and hang in greenhouse to dry.

in spring, I melt a pot of paraffin wax, dip chains with guitar strings hanging over edge, and after 5-10 minutes pull them out and hang to dry/harden.

I do about six chains for three bikes, and that's enough since I took up golf and only ride a thousand miles or so annually now. Wax is great lube, lasts about 300 miles, and the bonus is the rear end of the bike, including cassette and derailleur, is non-oily and stays remarkably clean. One ten pound block of wax will last my lifetime.

Best system I've come up with. If a chain starts squeaking and I'm not ready for mid-season swap, I just paint some wax dissolved in clean kerosene onto chain on bike, and it's good for another 100 miles or so.

Thank goodness for master links! They make my system easy.
Old 08-28-23, 01:00 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Isn't diesel fuel highly flammable? Why use something like that around the house when other things are better?
Old 08-28-23, 01:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Isn't diesel fuel highly flammable? Why use something like that around the house when other things are better?
It’s flammable, but not like gasoline.

I use it to start our steam locomotive.
Old 08-28-23, 01:57 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

It’s combustible. Flash point of 120 to 180°F (52 to 82°C). Mineral spirits and kerosene have slightly lower flash points. None of them are what I would classify as “highly flammable”. They will burn but it’s a bit tougher to get them ignited. Kerosene (think of it as #1 diesel) is what is used for all those flames that Hollywood loves so much. It’s also used for fire eating demonstrations.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-28-23, 07:54 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 83 Posts
I completely understand bicycle chains, in all of their simple complexity. I understand the variations and levels of bicycles and their uses. And through a lifetime in abuse of the subject, I can even understand OCD in its myriad of complexities. But what I find hard to understand is why someone with a $1k+ bike and the means to afford better things associated with bicycles, fixate on chains.
if a person is worried about chains, buy them a gross at a time and change out the chain every 20 miles or whatever the number is. Even the most expensive chain is relatively cheap in the grand scheme.
diesel fuel?
Sorry to be glib.

Thinking on it a bit more....
Although in 50 years I have never had a chain issue, I'm sure there are reasons for chain worry I don't realize. Sorry if anybody's ears got warm.

Last edited by macstuff; 08-29-23 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-28-23, 09:07 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your “joke” fell flat. Just accept it. And I said no one thing about toxicity. I was addressing its efficacy.
What do you think the words "worse for your health" mean?

Perhaps it is hard to see the humor if you are not reading the sentences?
Old 08-28-23, 09:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Not highly flammable. Gasoline is highly flammable, diesel frequently needs a wick or something to kick it off.

Or the adiabatic feedback loop.
Old 08-28-23, 10:28 PM
cyccommute 

What do you think the words "worse for your health" mean?

Perhaps it is hard to see the humor if you are not reading the sentences?
“Worse for your health” was the punch line? You need better writers…

​​​​​…or a better day job.

Old 08-28-23, 10:53 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Worse for your health” was the punch line? You need better writers…

​​​​​…or a better day job.
No. Let me explain it to you clearly and explicitly:

You said no one mentioned toxicity. I mentioned toxicity by saying "worse for your health", which people generally understand to mean that the substance being referenced has some quality that is deleterious to your health. "Toxic" is a word that means "poisonous" or "harmful", and is synonymous with something being "bad for your health".

And then I pointed out that someone that missed that obvious reference to toxic substances may have missed other things in what they were reading, including a facetious suggestion to use a known toxin. This use of facetious or sarcastic language is commonly referred to as a "joke", even if the intended effect wasn't levity and laughter but to make an impression in a way that is more effective than than being entirely direct.

At least, that's the way it works with normal people.
Old 08-29-23, 05:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,702 Posts
cyccommute's offhand remark that kerosene is used by fire-eaters wins this thread.
Old 08-29-23, 06:06 AM
cyccommute 

No. Let me explain it to you clearly and explicitly:

You said no one mentioned toxicity. I mentioned toxicity by saying "worse for your health", which people generally understand to mean that the substance being referenced has some quality that is deleterious to your health. "Toxic" is a word that means "poisonous" or "harmful", and is synonymous with something being "bad for your health".
Although poorly worded…thanks spell checkI said “And I said no one thing about toxicity. I was addressing its efficacy.” It should have be “not” instead of “no” but the meaning is clear.

And then I pointed out that someone that missed that obvious reference to toxic substances may have missed other things in what they were reading, including a facetious suggestion to use a known toxin. This use of facetious or sarcastic language is commonly referred to as a "joke", even if the intended effect wasn't levity and laughter but to make an impression in a way that is more effective than than being entirely direct.
Your language didn’t come across as either facetious or sarcastic. I thought you were serious about using methyl ethyl ketone which is a lousy solvent for grease. It’s not particularly toxic either. Certainly not more toxic than diesel. I wouldn’t drink a gallon of either one but neither would cause much in the way of health problems.

​​​​​​​At least, that's the way it works with normal people.
Your joke fell flat because there are lots of goofy people on the Bike Forums who suggest lots of goofy things…and are serious about it! Diesel fuel is a little goofy as a cleaning fluid but it’s not nearly as monumentally stupid as using gasoline which, if I recall correctly, has been suggested above.

Old 08-29-23, 09:43 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 443 Posts
...We might as well be talking about cleaning chains with pee. ..
That's only if your bicycle gets stung by a jellyfish.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-29-23, 09:46 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
cyccommute's offhand remark that kerosene is used by fire-eaters wins this thread.
I guessed they used something like Bacardi 151, but I’ve never tried it so I don’t really know.
Old 08-29-23, 11:04 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Geez. You guys are gonna wet your panties when you find out I keep a peanut butter jar full of carb cleaner in garage to degrease my chains. I typically smoke a cigar while cleaning them as well.
Old 08-29-23, 02:20 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Geez. You guys are gonna wet your panties when you find out I keep a peanut butter jar full of carb cleaner in garage to degrease my chains. I typically smoke a cigar while cleaning them as well.
An appropriate Cuban I hope

And I use pickle jars. PB around here is in plastic
Old 08-29-23, 03:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I use it to start our steam locomotive.
Most interesting post yet! What kind of locomotive? Is this coal or oil fired?

And re: bikes, do you cycle to the roundhouse?
Old 08-29-23, 03:48 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Most interesting post yet! What kind of locomotive? Is this coal or oil fired?

And re: bikes, do you cycle to the roundhouse?
The railroad is too far to bike to, along narrow country roads that I wouldn't feel safe riding on.

The locomotive is a 1941 Vulcan 0-4-0T switch engine. It burns liquid fuel--so anything from diesel to vegetable oil, but usually used crankcase oil. The burner uses a jet of air (and eventually steam, when we have it) to atomize the oil into a fine mist (think lighting hairspray on fire). This mist is ignited by me soaking an old rag or cardboard in diesel (hence my comment), opening the fuel and atomizer valves, igniting the cardboard and throwing it in front of the burner, till the fuel spray ignites.
Old 08-29-23, 09:09 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 252 Posts
It works perfectly fine as a degreaser. I would have been horrified if the OP said gasoline as that stuff is carcinogenic.

I would question the need to leaving it soaking in there for that long but if that's where he wants to stash his spare chain have at it
Old 08-30-23, 06:33 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
An appropriate Cuban I hope

And I use pickle jars. PB around here is in plastic
I do have a couple of real Monte Cristos left, but those are more special occasions.

I purposely use the plastic jars because I don't like having glass in the workshop. Safety First...
Old 08-30-23, 02:38 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
I would question the need to leaving it soaking in there for that long but if that's where he wants to stash his spare chain have at it
It simplifies the process by avoiding one manipulation for storing the chain elsewhere than the PET bottle, it avoids Diesel smell over the whole storing period (the PET is closed with its cap) and the time submerged helps in deeper cleaning without other mechanical actions. Indeed, using paint thinner would do the same, with just a little bit more costs and effort to procure.

Really, I can't understand why so many people crucify so bad the method with Diesel: it is quite simple, easiest to procure, cheapest and, as I said earlier, a few minutes of smell and a few drops of Diesel on the floor tiles per year are absolutely negligible.

Last edited by Redbullet; 08-30-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 03:56 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Redbullet
It simplifies the process by avoiding one manipulation for storing the chain elsewhere than the PET bottle, it avoids Diesel smell over the whole storing period (the PET is closed with its cap) and the time submerged helps in deeper cleaning without other mechanical actions. Indeed, using paint thinner would do the same, with just a little bit more costs and effort to procure.

Really, I can't understand why so many people crucify so bad the method with Diesel: it is quite simple, easiest to procure, cheapest and, as I said earlier, a few minutes of smell and a few drops of Diesel on the floor tiles per year are absolutely negligible.
There’s nothing wrong with diesel but there’s nothing right with it either. If the whole idea is to get rid of the grease and oil, why use something a film of oil behind? Nothing is going to be damaged with diesel. It won’t corrode the metal. It’s relatively nontoxic. It’s not very flammable. Mineral spirits (another name to look for is naphtha) does the same work but it evaporates cleanly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.