Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

56” vs 58” fit question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

56” vs 58” fit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 08:12 AM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
56” vs 58” fit question

I’m 6’0” and 48 yo. Got fitted for a 58 cm 10 years ago but fitter replaced stock stem with a shorter one. Note that in the last two years, I’ve also started having neck issues after riding which I never had before. I have an great opportunity to get a used 56 cm (both compact frames but one is Felt and other is Trek). I will test ride but if I put a longer stem on the 56, do you think I’ll have any issues? I’m much more into comfort vs speed these days so I’m thinking the 56 might actually be a better fit given my older age and neck issues. Am I completely off base here?
Old 11-12-18, 08:42 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am in the same "shape" you are. My ideal is 57" in specialized numbers anyways. I got the 58 and shortened the steering set up. I could have gone the other way but it really felt cramped to me on the 56. I wonder though if I would have been more happy with a 56 for its nimbleness.

I have had a 58 for sometime and no issues but I had a fancy schmancy bike fit and its feels really good after all that little adjustments it provided.

Have you tried riding a 56 at the bike shop for a "test ride"? maybe that will give you some final insight. Nothing when it comes fit and comfort is an easy answer unfortunately.
Old 11-12-18, 08:48 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I always go the next size bigger. In fact, after riding 58cm for 40 years, I've recently switch to 60, and am much more comfortable. I'm 6' and 66 years old. I limit top tube length to 58cm.
Old 11-12-18, 09:09 AM
wolfpack95

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for quick replies. Bike is not at a shop and will need to pull trigger fast. Current weather is horrible for any test rides but guess I could visit a store and try fitting on similar bike.

I was thinking being more upright (smaller frame) with shorter reach would reduce neck angle and pain. Is this correct?
Old 11-12-18, 10:09 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack95
Thanks for quick replies. Bike is not at a shop and will need to pull trigger fast. Current weather is horrible for any test rides but guess I could visit a store and try fitting on similar bike.

I was thinking being more upright (smaller frame) with shorter reach would reduce neck angle and pain. Is this correct?
Honestly....being older, with neck issues, I would go get another proper bike fit, and then use his information to compare against geometry charts of bikes you're considering to make sure you can make it work. Will probably be the best $200 you ever spent, even if it comes out of the budget for a new bike.
Old 11-12-18, 10:14 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
What about trying a taller stem that puts you up higher on your current frame? That should decrease some of the neck issues. It seems like a smaller frame would likely have a shorter head tube (unless it's got different geometry and it may), and that's not the direction you want to be going.
Old 11-12-18, 10:39 AM
hanknstein
Cranky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Abe is right. If you have issues, best to lead with your best foot.
FYI, I too am around 6' and rode a 2006 Specialized Roubaix size 58 with a shorter stem (I picked the roubaix to be a bit more upright) and switched to my new bike: Specialized Roubaix 2018 size 56. My new bike handles noticeably better. After about 2000 miles, it is still very comfortable.
Old 11-12-18, 10:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

Doesn't a smaller frame usually mean a shorter head tube, meaning in turn greater saddle to bar drop?
Old 11-12-18, 11:40 AM
wolfpack95

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How does a fitting help when my size hasn’t changed and my pain doesn’t start until after an hour long ride? I had a fit from a reputable shop and I was fine for 8 years. I’d think they’d size me in the ballpark and say tweak seat and stem until pain isn’t as bad. Which I’ll basically have to do myself anyway.

I will try to find and compare geometry, thanks for suggestions.
Old 11-12-18, 11:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not off the shelf..

Stem raisers , or getting another fork with an uncut steering tube, and adding spacers,
a shorter / more up-angled stem , longer seatpost,
are some of the many ways you can alter the fit to be more upright..

Work with your Dealer to make it so.

Old 11-12-18, 11:47 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
How does a fitting help when my size hasn’t changed and my pain doesn’t start until after an hour long ride? I had a fit from a reputable shop and I was fine for 8 years. I’d think they’d size me in the ballpark and say tweak seat and stem until pain isn’t as bad. Which I’ll basically have to do myself anyway.

I will try to find and compare geometry, thanks for suggestions.
8 Years ago, was it a FITTING, or somebody at a shop measured you and said, yea you should do a 58cm? There's a difference. The fitting I got, the guy spent an hour with me with motion capture cameras, lasers, power meters, probably lasers mounted on sharks heads. He dialed in seat position, cleat position, handlebar position for/aft, up/down to the millimeter. It was worth it. Made a lot of knee pain go away over night.

More importantly...I would imagine a good fitter would have specific ways to alleviate some of your pain spots through adjustments in the bike fit. Sure, you could try it yourself. But what I found was after years of messing around with it myself...I ended up fairly far off. A lot of fit stuff is counterintuitive.
Old 11-12-18, 12:25 PM
wolfpack95

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gotcha, thanks for additional detail. First 58 bike, guy asked about my height and put me on a 58. No issues. Second 58 bike was an hour long fitting but not quite as extensive as yours. That was also a 58 but shorter stem..rode for 8 years, no issues. When I was younger, I could have ridden anything without pain . I do need to compare makes and geometries as these are all different manufacturers.

This has given me some ideas on my current setup so I will try some things.

Last edited by wolfpack95; 11-12-18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
After 8 years and being comfortable on a 58, I’d just get a higher and longer stem and try that. You want similar reach, just less steep back angle ?

Pic of your current bike would be useful
Old 11-12-18, 01:18 PM
wolfpack95

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seat has some down tilt due to recent tri but I’m about to remove that.

Old 11-12-18, 01:38 PM
wolfpack95

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

after removing tilt and lowering seat 1”
Old 11-12-18, 03:50 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
After 8 years and being comfortable on a 58, I’d just get a higher and longer stem and try that. You want similar reach, just less steep back angle ?

Pic of your current bike would be useful
I would try this as it is the least costly alternative.
I'm 50 yrs old and 6'02. I rode a 61 Felt and currently ride a 59 Colnago and a 58 Kona.The Felt and Colnago were comparably sized but the Kona is smaller. Pay attention to the geometry charts not the size the companies attribute to the bikes.
Also, with injuries all bets are off. I originally bought a relaxed geometry Felt because I tore my hip running. Logic dictated it was the way to go. Not so. My current set up is more race oriented and it is far more comfortable. With age we lose flexibility. Factor that in as well. I used to like my mtbs smaller, but I can no longer ride that setup. I'm just not as flexible.
Old 11-12-18, 04:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Ask a fitter or physical therapist. It's too individual. What someone else find blissful could be pain for you.

To an extent, you can make a smaller frame bigger, but not the other way around.
Old 11-13-18, 09:48 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I'm 6'0", rode a 57 for 20k miles, just replaced it with a 56, and it seems great. Every individual is uniquely shaped, and bikes are unique as well. One manufacturer's 58 will fit very differently from someone else's.

Like others have said, getting a fit is a good route to go - certainly better than taking advice from someone like me 2,000 miles away and having never seen you ride.
Old 11-13-18, 10:40 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
In my experience, frame size can depend on your riding style.
Larger frame size tend to be more stable handling in general, more compliant with longer tubes to soak up bumps.
Smaller frame size tend to be more responsive in handling, stiffer, more efficient power transfer, better at sprinting, but may or may not be less comfortable on longer rides.

I'm about 5'9", 165 lb., I started riding a 54 or 56cm back in the early 90's, over 20k miles.
By 2004 I switched to a 58cm for another 22k miles until today.
Here\s my 2001 58cm Litespeed Ultimate:

When I was younger, I don't mind a stiffer frame, doing more sprints and intervals.
Now middle-aged, I spin more, sit on the climbs, less aggressive riding.
I use 46cm handlebar to allow more room to open up my chest, move around during the climbs while breathing hard.
BTW, smaller frame also easier to fit into your car trunk, if that's a consideration...

Last edited by cat0020; 11-16-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-13-18, 02:06 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
yeah, I'd start with this. Also consider short reach bars.

But, if you really want to snap up that 56cm bike, it seams like you could get it and tinker with stem/bars/seat height to make it work. If anything you're headed towards a more upright position, so a shorter reach that a 56 vs 58 frame potentially has means you have a bit more flexibility regarding reach and drop (i.e., you can put a longer higher rise stem on a 56; you can only shorten the stem on a 58 so much).
Old 11-13-18, 04:24 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I’m 6’0” and 48 yo. Got fitted for a 58 cm 10 years ago but fitter replaced stock stem with a shorter one. Note that in the last two years, I’ve also started having neck issues after riding which I never had before. I have an great opportunity to get a used 56 cm (both compact frames but one is Felt and other is Trek). I will test ride but if I put a longer stem on the 56, do you think I’ll have any issues? I’m much more into comfort vs speed these days so I’m thinking the 56 might actually be a better fit given my older age and neck issues. Am I completely off base here?

OP, you have been given some good advise. As has been eluded to, seat tube length (and nominal frame sizing, ie. 56, 58, etc.) is all over the place between frame models and manufacturers. That is why stack and reach have become preferred reference dimensions. A better number to look at rather than nominal frame size for comparison is the Effective top tube (also called virtual or horizontal TT) length while also considering the seat tube and head tube angles.

Measure the Effective top tube length on your existing bike and see if the new bike is anywhere close to that. It doesn't have to be exact, but it should probably be within about 1cm. The question would be, can you make this new 56 frame fit by using a longer stem and setback seatpost. What matters first is your relationship to the bottom bracket (vertically and then horizontally), and then secondly your relationship to the handlebars.

Just for reference, I am 55 years old, 6'-3" tall, and I like a 57.5cm horizontal top tube (considered by some to be rather small for me). I have just over 4" of saddle to bar drop for a somewhat aggressive position. Both my current bikes are listed as 58 frame size. I prefer a smaller frame because with the longer stem it makes steering smoother and the smaller frame also lowers my center of gravity for better cornering. A larger frame is more stable and tracks better.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 11-15-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 10:30 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm gonna go with Abe's recommendation. I thought I had a pretty good idea of my fit all these years, but then had a fairly intensive fit session last year with a reputable local guy who made some adjustments that were more radical than I would've thought. My frame size didn't change much but drop and stem length and my center of gravity over the bike differed significantly which has helped improve my form and comfort.

FWIW I'm 49 , 5'11.5" my bikes are 56 and have moderately aggressive ~3-3.5" of handlebar drop with 110 and 120mm stems. At 6' you could probably safely go 56 or 58 depending, with the 56 giving you a racier fit. Also like others said learn about and compare stack and reach; 2 size 56 from different manufacturers may fit completely different.

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Honestly....being older, with neck issues, I would go get another proper bike fit, and then use his information to compare against geometry charts of bikes you're considering to make sure you can make it work. Will probably be the best $200 you ever spent, even if it comes out of the budget for a new bike.
Old 11-15-18, 08:50 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I’m much more into comfort vs speed these days so I’m thinking the 56 might actually be a better fit given my older age and neck issues. Am I completely off base here?
Six ft., short torso, long legs. My first Domane was professionally fit at Trek in 2013, at a 58 with what became 6cm of drop. Reach was perfect with a 110 stem. The Emonda I picked up four years later is a 56, and now has 9cm drop (again pro fit by a PT), but I needed an 80 stem to get the reach right. This year's Domane is a 56 with a 100 stem (headtube angle different from the Emonda), again fit at Trek. In keeping with the endurance nature of the frame, I'm only running 5cm of drop on the Domane. In every respect, I like the smaller frame on both the new bikes. And even though my flexibility has stayed pretty good at 62, my reach seems to be shrinking, and stretching out for the hood/drops does not feel as stable. OP: with neck issues to boot, it would not surprise me if the 56 didn't feel just fine for you, even with the shorter stem.
Old 11-16-18, 09:36 AM
sultanofsuede

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
OP, you have been given some good advise. As has been eluded to, seat tube length (and nominal frame sizing, ie. 56, 58, etc.) is all over the place between frame models and manufacturers. That is why stack and reach have become preferred reference dimensions. A better number to look at rather than nominal frame size for comparison is the Effective top tube (also called virtual or horizontal TT) length while also considering the seat tube and head tube angles.

Measure the Effective top tube length on your existing bike and see if the new bike is anywhere close to that. It doesn't have to be exact, but it should probably be within about 1cm. The question would be, can you make this new 56 frame fit by using a longer stem and setback seatpost. What matters first is your relationship to the bottom bracket (vertically and then horizontally), and then secondly your relationship to the handlebars.

Just for reference, I am 55 years old, 6'-3" tall, and I like a 57.5cm horizontal top tube (considered by some to be rather small for me). I have just over 4" of saddle to bar drop for a somewhat aggressive position. Both my current bikes are listed as 58 frame size. I prefer a smaller frame because with the longer stem it makes steering smoother and the smaller frame also lowers my center of gravity for better cornering. A larger frame is more stable and tracks better.
great conversation to track along. i'm about 6' .5", maybe closer to 6'1" with shoes, and have kind of run into these sizing questions for years. used to ride a 59cm steel frame that i fell in love with, but it was probably a bit large for me. moved on to a 56cm alu/carb frame that i fell in love with, but it was probably a bit small for me. starting to bike shop now, and hoping to find a 57cm frame, but might just go custom. nice to read how people address this fit.
Old 11-16-18, 08:45 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
If you're interested in a more upright position a smaller frame would not be what you want... 2" taller and you'd be into a 61 for a Felt "Z" frame and even then you might need a stem extender..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.