Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So, when did Japan frames become sweet, and what brand ushered them in?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So, when did Japan frames become sweet, and what brand ushered them in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 04:03 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Toei. Alps. Cherubim. Hiroshi-san who still somewhat has the door open at Jitensha Studio in Berkeley has been part of the leading edge of Japanese bikes for 60 years. Amazed that so few consult with him. Order an Ebisu while you still can.

Shimano Dura Ace introduced 1973. I have a few pieces. Rear derailleur still labeled Crane, other parts say Dura Ace. Quite certain of age as I put them in the hand of the first owner and now have them back.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 03-26-19, 08:50 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Original poster here/hear, still lurking and learning. I was going to guess Fuji, especially the S-10-S, but wanted to hear other knowledgeable opinions, since I came into big boy bicycling in the early 80's. Maybe a secondary play by Nishiki, especially on the West Coast? I love the early Schwinn Japan made models, but don't necessarily give them the winners sash, because I feel like Schwinn was doing everything it could to minimize the Japan connection of their models at the time. First, putting them out as World branded, then, splashing their Schwinn name on most of the Japan made components, as if to say that the Schwinn approval was more important than the original manufacturer. But, that's me, and others might have a differing opinion and valid arguments.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 04-26-24 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 07:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
....Shimano Dura Ace introduced 1973. I have a few pieces. Rear derailleur still labeled Crane, other parts say Dura Ace. Quite certain of age as I put them in the hand of the first owner and now have them back.
While the Dura-Ace group was available in 1973, it was a late enough introduction to be considered 1974 model year, as per my previous post.

The original combination of components in the Dura-Ace were actually released over a course of about 11 months. The first to arrive was the crankset, in June 1972. The shift levers were first marketed in November 1972. The 5 and 6 speed freewheels were released in April 1973. The hubs, brakeset, front derailleur and headset followed in July 1973. The Crane derailleur, packaged with Dura-Ace though 1976, had been introduced in March 1973.

So, the original Dura-Ace group wasn't complete until July 1973. This is early enough to be included on the bicycles for the 1974 model year, which typically start to be manufactured around September, but too late for the 1973 models. Consequently, I consider the original Dura-Ace group to be 1974 model year.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-27-19 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-27-19, 07:12 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I appreciate that there were quite a few very nice Japanese made bikes in the 80's but the OP asked what brand ushered them in. That certainly happened well before the 80's.

Here's a comparison opportunity between my 1972 Fuji Finest (with several non-original components), and someone's 1971 PX-10. I don't think the similarities are accidental - especially as the PX-10 had been around for a few years by 1971, when I seem to recall reading, Fuji launched their upper-tier models.

I'm sure Fuji would claim it was just mere Cryptomnesia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 03-27-19, 03:54 PM
ed4406

Bikes: Fuji Finest, Trek 460, 970, Miyata One Ten, Maruishi 606, Univega Alpina Uno LX, Browning Grade V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the introduction of higher performance components on Japanese bikes in the early 70's was the turning point. The Suntour V + Sugino Mighty Competition drivetrain outperformed anything but Campy in '72 and cost just a bit more than a Simplex derailleur and cottered cranks. Even cheap bikes with a slant parallelogram design shifted well and for a long time. This gave Japanese bikes increased credibility in short order.
Old 03-27-19, 04:32 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I talked my parents into paying for 1/2 of an American Eagle Semi-Pro as my Christmas present in 1971 when I was 13. I paid the other half, I think the total price was about $220. Suntour derailleurs and ratchet bar end shifters, Dia Compe center pull brakes, Araya rims, don't remember the hubs, Sugino crank. This was before they rebranded as Nishiki. Reading about this bike in later years it had a reputation for a "dead" feeling frame. I was thrilled with it though, it was quite an improvement over my Schwinn Varsity. I remember giving it away sometime in the late 80s.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 03-27-19, 05:06 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by jimincalif
I talked my parents into paying for 1/2 of an American Eagle Semi-Pro as my Christmas present in 1971 when I was 13....This was before they rebranded as Nishiki. Reading about this bike in later years it had a reputation for a "dead" feeling frame. I was thrilled with it though,...
So, bike lore, combined with a memory that just wants to hear what it wants to hear, seems to combine together to say that the company who produced the "American Eagle" brand were told to quit using a misleading name, as the USA had some exclusive rights to producing things branded with the image of an eagle, including, but not limited to gun racks, snow sleds, and beer. I'm missremembering on this right? I've heard the "dead" frame thing associated with early Japan bikes... but yeah, compared to the "cinder block dragging" feel associated with the bullet proof family of the Schwinn lineup meeting anything with even the mere suggestion of an incline, I think the Japan stuff was magnitudes better. I just think the early Japan stuff was designed for the rough-and-tumble world of Japan biking, and it took the Japan factories awhile to figure out the USA market. Better minds can correct my ignorance.
Old 03-27-19, 05:23 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by uncle uncle
So, bike lore, combined with a memory that just wants to hear what it wants to hear, seems to combine together to say that the company who produced the "American Eagle" brand were told to quit using a misleading name, as the USA had some exclusive rights to producing things branded with the image of an eagle, including, but not limited to gun racks, snow sleds, and beer. I'm missremembering on this right? I've heard the "dead" frame thing associated with early Japan bikes.
It's amazing what you can find on the internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle_company)

Nishiki is a brand of bicycles designed, specified, marketed and distributed by West Coast Cycle in the United States, initially manufactured by Kawamura Cycle Co. in Kobe, Japan, and subsequently by Giant of Taiwan. The bicycles were first marketed under the American Eagle brand beginning in 1965[1] and later under the Nishiki brand until 2001.

After visiting over 60 bicycles factories over a period of six weeks, Cohen turned to Kawamura Cycles. Kawamura had produced quality bicycles for the Japan domestic market, but at the directive of their overseas buyers, had produced lower-quality, lower-priced bicycles for the U.S. market, for example, under the brand name 'Royce Union.'
Cohen placed his initial order for 570 bikes with Kawamura, selling them under the American Eagle brand.[1]WCC sold tens of thousands of American Eagle bikes[1] before changing the name — when a customer suggested it was disingenuous to put such an American-sounding name on a Japanese product.[1]
Can't say it's all accurate, but sounds reasonable. Royce Union? Egad, good thing I didn't know that it was the same company when I bought my semi-pro!
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 03-27-19, 06:21 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I wish SunTour would get back into making running gear, we need more options than Shimano/Sram and almost Microshift.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 03-27-19, 07:09 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
I worked (ran) a combination motorcycle/snowmobile/bicycle shop out of a converted cigar store in Indiana back in the 70s. About the only thing we ever saw in central Indiana were (as in both most and considered most sought after in order) Fuji and Nishiki, with a scattering of Panasonic, followed by a few Bridgestone/Kabuki and Azuki. We carried Nishiki and Azuki. Those were the early birds but the really good stuff arrived in the eighties. (read: Centurion). Owned and ridden all of them at one time or another and they were really good machines. Gave my last two reworked Nishiki and Kabuki to younger brothers after getting hooked on Centurions.
Likes For grayEZrider:
Old 03-27-19, 07:30 PM
uncle uncle

It's amazing what you can find on the internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle_company)

Once again, my ignorance and/or laziness, banished by the magical interwebs!
Old 03-27-19, 07:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by HM70
I say Fuji because they were sponsoring our Western Mass UCSF club in mid 70' s. Dealer was out of Boston. Top riders got Fuji club frames to ride. Rest of us rode what we could afford. Still wear my wool jersey with FUJI emblazoned on my back.
Wow! Memories! Did you ride for the club out of Amherst/North Hampton? North or Valley something? Black jerseys and black Fuji Pros in 1977? I raced for NEBC and worked for LifeCycle in Cambridge assembling Fujis and Centurians. Saw Gene Ritvo, distributor for Fuji and LifeCycle owner frequently. I too used to have Fuji jerseys, (Still have one, but in 1977 Fuji stopped sponsoring us, I had pockets sewn over the lettering.) Did Jones Cycle Wear make your jerseys?

I had friends in that Amherst club whose name I will remember after I post this. One rider I rode back from Bethel Maine with. Another I lost to at Putney on the final climb.

Thanks!

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-27-19, 09:01 PM
pstolz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First ten speed was a Royce Union in '73. Upgraded to a Centurion Super LeMans in '77 and put a lot of miles on that bike. I thought that was a pretty damn good bike and better than pretty much anything we had in my little home town in WI at the time. Bought my wife a Bianchi Classica in about '86 and still have it. She hardly rode that bike at all and so it's in like-new, pristine, bone-stock condition.
Likes For pstolz:
Old 03-28-19, 01:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I wish SunTour would get back into making running gear, we need more options than Shimano/Sram and almost Microshift.
They have, almost miraculously, but they have only a few products. It's impossible to compete with the R&D power of Shimano nowadays.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-28-19, 03:11 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
For me, the mid 80's is when I feel Japanese bicycles fully equaled the very best of the traditional European makers - and at half the price.

I distinctly remember assembling and riding our shops first Miyata (a 1000 tourer). It assembled and rode like a dream, in fact it rode better (in terms of climbing, comfort and especially stiffness) than my Roberts - I was pretty amazed - that was a turning point in my head. The Nishiki Continental's and Pro's of this era were also beautiful machines, and while I didn't often see Fuji's in my town, everyone I did see was a head-turner.

Also, around this time, I remember Vancouver had a shop that only sold Zunow's. Absolutely beautiful frame work, and every one was unique in some way - no two alike (These ones weren't half the price of the elite Euro bikes though!), a Zunow remains one of my holy-grail bikes to this day.
Likes For d_dutchison:
Old 03-28-19, 06:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
They have, almost miraculously, but they have only a few products. It's impossible to compete with the R&D power of Shimano nowadays.

Let me ask a silly question, how come Microshift are currently ahead of SunTour on shifters?
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 03-28-19, 06:24 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
My Sept '74-built '75 model S-10S hit all of the right buttons. Cotterless crank, alloy wheels, alloy handlebar, SunTour drivetrain, chrome 'socks' front and rear, quality paint, was just a tad over $200 MSRP. Earlier S-10s had steel wheels, so alloy was a serious step up. My 23"-framed S-10S supposedly weighed 26.1 pounds, which was quite light for a bike at that price point in the mid-'70s. To get any lighter almost necessitated tubular tires! Two years later, the Schwinn-'approved' Super LeTour 12.2 came out that was ~27 pounds (the 12.2 was a reference to the bike weight in Kgms). Heck, look at a '74 road-racing Paramount (P13-9) (tubular tires, full Campy, butted 531 CrMo, etc was (according to the Schwinn catalog) 23-25 pounds, and the touring Paramounts (P10-9 and P15-9) were heavier at 26-27!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 03-28-19, 09:32 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
In the early 80s My father bought himself and my stepmother ZebraKenko road bikes -- I remember being pretty impressed. I remember they were lighter than any bike I had handled, I was probably 11 years old. They may have been made with Ishiwata tubes. His was black, hers was maroon. I think hers had nice ratcheting Suntour downtube shifters (with horizontal lines across), and his had Suntour bar ends. I seem to remember one had a Campagnolo derailleur. I think they were purchased at Big Wheel Bikes in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Likes For specialmonkey:
Old 03-29-19, 09:08 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
My initial foray into MTB (looks like I'm in the minority here) was a 1983 Univega, a product of Lawee AIR, and a really fine bike albeit with a double chainring which limited climbine (for me). Just sold a Cunningham-designed Nishiki Alien of unknown vintage, but not "vintage".
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-29-19, 10:00 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 2old
...Just sold a Cunningham-designed Nishiki Alien of unknown vintage, but not "vintage".
While the definiiton of vintage varies, most forums members would probably consider an Alien to be vintage. They were introduced for the 1989 model year and manufactured for about 5 years, so they'd be 25-30 years old.
Old 03-29-19, 10:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Not an expert and not to argue, but "vintage" to me implies extra value because of desirability. Think there were too many Aliens made to connote that yet.
Old 03-29-19, 10:50 AM
T-Mar

I talked my parents into paying for 1/2 of an American Eagle Semi-Pro as my Christmas present in 1971 when I was 13. I paid the other half, I think the total price was about $220. Suntour derailleurs and ratchet bar end shifters, Dia Compe center pull brakes, Araya rims, don't remember the hubs, Sugino crank. This was before they rebranded as Nishiki. Reading about this bike in later years it had a reputation for a "dead" feeling frame. I was thrilled with it though, it was quite an improvement over my Schwinn Varsity. I remember giving it away sometime in the late 80s.
Arguably, the biggest selling bicycle of the early boom era was the Peugeot U08. Compared to it and most of its European cousins, the comparable Japanese models, were typically less compliant, less responsive and heavier. As a result, they felt "dead" by comparison, though they would certainly have felt lively compared to Schwinn's offering at the same level.

In your case, the comparison transcends not just nationalities but levels. Your Semi-Pro probably cost twice that of the Varsity and was probably 15 lbs lighter. A more valid comparison would probably have been a Peugeot PR10 or even a PX10. I strongly suspect you would have considered the Peugeots to be livelier but would have found the American Eagle to shift better and have better workmanship.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-29-19, 11:36 AM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Arguably, the biggest selling bicycle of the early boom era was the Peugeot U08. Compared to it and most of its European cousins, the comparable Japanese models, were typically less compliant, less responsive and heavier. As a result, they felt "dead" by comparison, though they would certainly have felt lively compared to Schwinn's offering at the same level.

In your case, the comparison transcends not just nationalities but levels. Your Semi-Pro probably cost twice that of the Varsity and was probably 15 lbs lighter. A more valid comparison would probably have been a Peugeot PR10 or even a PX10. I strongly suspect you would have considered the Peugeots to be livelier but would have found the American Eagle to shift better and have better workmanship.
I remember Peugeots, Raleighs, Gitane, Motobecane bikes from the time. And Italvega and the occasional Schwinn Paramount. I don't really remember how I got my heart set on the Semi-Pro. I think the guys who owned LBS where I hung out steered me towards it as a good value. And I have to give those guys credit, I really did hang out there a lot. As a middle school kid, I probably drove them crazy, they were very patient with me.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 04-01-19, 06:12 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I worked in a bike shop in the early 1970s and that is when we began to see quality Japanese components compete with the likes of Campi. At first they were not as well finished but they quickly improved so that we no longer referred to Shimano as Sh##mano in the store. While I was there I bought a Nishiki Semi Pro as my first Japanese bike. One quirk was that the drive train was set up so there were no overlapping choices in the 10 speeds. I later bought a Motobecane Le Champion before leaving the shop. You could buy two versions of the same Panasonic bike in town one from the authorized Schwinn dealer and the other from independent bike shops. The one from the dealer had "Schwinn approved" stamped or tagged all over the bike but you paid an extra $30 for that privilege.
Likes For VegasTriker: