Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 06:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Stayed local and managed 59 miles and 6500 feet of climbing in the Puente Hills. The usual gang of riders with smiles on Turnbull. Looped around La Habra Hgts after some repeats on Turnbull for a change of scenery. Digging the new GRX crankset and learning how to spin more instead of grinding.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34800320
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-07-20, 02:39 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
no ride today but out of work (again) for the third time this year and for at least three weeks but realistically longer than that.
hoping to meaningfully contribute to this thread in the next few weeks. there's a few places that need to be drilled down on.
happy holidays and best wishes to the collective socal you and yours family...here and there, on and off the bike.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-07-20 at 02:43 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-07-20, 08:16 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Stayed local and managed 59 miles and 6500 feet of climbing in the Puente Hills. The usual gang of riders with smiles on Turnbull. Looped around La Habra Hgts after some repeats on Turnbull for a change of scenery. Digging the new GRX crankset and learning how to spin more instead of grinding.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34800320
What impresses me is how you navigate that conglomeration of roadways with such precision. I'd love to deviate from East/West but fear my wife would have to organize a search party.
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-07-20, 03:04 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
no ride today but out of work (again) for the third time this year and for at least three weeks but realistically longer than that.
hoping to meaningfully contribute to this thread in the next few weeks. there's a few places that need to be drilled down on.
happy holidays and best wishes to the collective socal you and yours family...here and there, on and off the bike.
I'm sorry to hear that you are out of work. This damn virus...
Old 12-07-20, 06:45 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by 2seven0
What impresses me is how you navigate that conglomeration of roadways with such precision. I'd love to deviate from East/West but fear my wife would have to organize a search party.
The good thing about getting lost along the East-West Rd corridor is eventually on the north side you will loop back south to East-West. The south side of East-West is a little more tricky but if you find Tumin or Coban you will be dropped off on East Rd. If you are coming from Whittier Blvd on Cypress Ave, take Cypress all the way up to Avocado Crest make a right which turns into Dorothia, then make a left on Tumin to drop back onto East Rd. Once you learn the roads, there are dozens of variations in the La Habra Hgts-Whittier Hills.

If you gravel or MTB, numerous more possibilities are along the Schabarum Trails that can be accessed off of Skyline Drive from the La Habra Heights side or Fullerton Rd. Traffic on the weekends is scant in the mornings. Mule deer and coyotes are frequently seen in the area. Hope that helps.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-07-20, 08:34 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by btppberk
I'm sorry to hear that you are out of work. This damn virus...

yah...not ideal but it does mean more riding time.
Old 12-07-20, 09:15 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

31-spot in metro san diego mostly just riding neighborhoods. spoiled by the low 70's temps lately so today's overcast and cooler
temps was more of a junk milesfest ride (even more than usual).

we're back to the warmer temps starting tomorrow and increased fire danger. last i saw, the bond fire up in oc by scr and
silverado canyon was 70% contained. tomorrow (tuesday) will be huge as to whether the rising percentage of containment continues or dealt a setback.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-08-20, 08:28 AM
2seven0

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The good thing about getting lost along the East-West Rd corridor is eventually on the north side you will loop back south to East-West. The south side of East-West is a little more tricky but if you find Tumin or Coban you will be dropped off on East Rd. If you are coming from Whittier Blvd on Cypress Ave, take Cypress all the way up to Avocado Crest make a right which turns into Dorothia, then make a left on Tumin to drop back onto East Rd. Once you learn the roads, there are dozens of variations in the La Habra Hgts-Whittier Hills.

If you gravel or MTB, numerous more possibilities are along the Schabarum Trails that can be accessed off of Skyline Drive from the La Habra Heights side or Fullerton Rd. Traffic on the weekends is scant in the mornings. Mule deer and coyotes are frequently seen in the area. Hope that helps.
Leaving my house in north Anaheim I'm either comiong in from Santa Gertrudes or Fullerton Rd. Thanks for the tips I may just go full copycat mode and print out some of your cue sheets you've been kind enough to post. I think studying Google Maps will help alot.
Haven't gotten into gravel or MTB even back in my motorcycling days I preferred pavement.
I'm sure we'll cross paths up there somewhere eventually.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-09-20, 06:58 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

met up with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe out in lucerne valley in the am and did the ca hwy 18 climb up to baldwin lake and back. sun finally came out just as we were starting the descent.
plenty of cement truck traffic (and smaller autos) but it wasn’t as bad as expected. everyone gave us space on the ascent/descent. glad we tackled it on a weekday tho...i could see the weekends being busy busy busy.

no support/stores once out of lucerne valley until you intersect the shay rd/ca hwy 38
i-section approx 20 miles later but we knew that going in. first half of the climb (just past the cement plant) pretty easy...it all comes to play in that second half. the canyon narrows and the scenery picks up. a few little ramps but nothing that totally destroys the will to keep pedaling. baldwin lake east and south shores always quiet with a little rolling to break up the flattish.
temps were in the low 50’s all day until the last 2-3 miles with sun into lucerne valley. had visions of onyx summit dancing in our heads but some questionable kit choices and the lack of sun relegated those notions until springtime.
the big story was the pavement quality...heading up, you could tell it wasn’t going to be a picnic on the way down. smallish cracks but lots of them along with some of the top layer of the road gonzo. no bumps, depressions, potholes or divots but it was rough-esp in/out of switchbacks...a 6.5/10 pavement quality. combined with the descent being like a rocketsled on greased rails, it wasn’t easy. wasn’t able to enjoy some sweet views on the upper third of the descent. if/when that gets repaved, it’s on. holding out hope since a lot of the san berdoos saw new pavement this year.

https://strava.app.link/jY726boB5bb
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-09-20, 11:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i was thinking second half of spring (may-early third week of june) but i have ascended/descended onyx in both april and november. that darned socal weather + the usual drought...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-10-20, 01:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

the 330 is the number one road in socal i wouldn't ascend-at any time-unless it were closed off to cars or for a organized ride and i'm not that squeamish. too many curves and too narrow with
too many people looking to get back home to running springs, bbl and the rest. there are lots of turnouts but no shoulder to mitigate the amount of speed and volume of traffic on the uphill.
i have descended it tho, and would descend it again. i actually find the 38 boring to ascend unless you're hitting forest falls or just going to angeles oaks. it's a long slog otherwise but relatively
safe as far as socal mtn roads go. if approaching the san berdoos from the south (san bernardino side), i'd rather do the 18 to old waterman to the 18 again and then take the turnoff to crestline
or continue up to the first summit/stoplight. super scenic (descent of the 18 is a blast). yes, there are a few stretches where you're riding on a suspended bridge that drops off ??? feet to the right
with a low (3ft high) guardrail but it just makes you ride faster...right?!

the angeles crest hwy (ach)/ca hwy 2 is justifiably celebrated as an awesome and scenic highway but is it better than the length of the north shore of baldwin lake, big bear lake, the wiggles up to
the pass, the descent into arrowbear/running springs and the ca hwy 18 ridgeline running through/past rimforest/skyforest all the way down into the flatlands? those that have ridden both...share.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-10-20 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-11-20, 11:42 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
What's up UCantTouchThis.....? Great seeing you and riding with you yesterday!
Likes For Genaro:
Old 12-12-20, 09:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Did a 25 mile loop down to the Queen Mary with a friend. Starting to increase the mileage.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-15-20, 01:43 PM
TakingMyTime

Another 20 milers down to Bolsa Chica. I hope this weather holds up. Beautiful day.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-15-20, 11:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

hit the western end of the sammos with a first-timer friend that was up for the challenge. no, we didn't tackle any soul-crushing climbs like decker or deer creek.
went up mully from pch since it's still "closed" (wink-wink) to motorized traffic with posted signage. didn't see any other cyclists on the climb but had maybe a total of 6 cars
(both sides of the road-all looked like local traffic) over the last 3 miles of the climb. zero motorized traffic in the first three miles of the climb. a handful of 18-20 mph
wind gusts here and there but it was a beautiful december day up there overall. riding partner decided she wanted to descend latigo vs climbing up little sycamore and descending
yerba buena even after laying out the short/steep entry point to the latigo descent from the mully/kanan connector. super low traffic...one suv and one motorcycle passed us on
the latigo descent. not a huge day but a great day. another sammos convert...road quality overall an 8/8.5. the smiles on latigo always earned and well-deserved.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4477237414
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-16-20, 09:53 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
hit the western end of the sammos with a first-timer friend that was up for the challenge. no, we didn't tackle any soul-crushing climbs like decker or deer creek.
I was wondering why your ride was a tad tame. You love the Sammos and thought you would really explore.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 12-16-20, 12:46 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I was wondering why your ride was a tad tame. You love the Sammos and thought you would really explore.
legs felt good but it was about leading the ride so i kept the vintage steel steed mostly in the big ring and was in full grind/mash mode. i woulda stretched it to 80+ miles ascending deer creek and decker (as well) and probably descending yerba buena were i solo.
Old 12-17-20, 01:14 PM
TakingMyTime

Another quick 20 miles today. I'm trying to work out some Garmin 520 issues. I'm even copying Garmin in on my rides so they can figure out what's wrong with my unit. My main complaint is that all of a sudden the LiveTrack feature doesn't work and that's one MAIN reason I have it so that my wife can follow me on my rides.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-17-20, 07:16 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

in the poway/ramona/rancho bernardo areas about 25 mins north of dtown san diego off the 15 fwy corridor. started in carmel mountain ranch but
quickly into poway and up espola rd to poway rd and up that grade to hwy 67. a left onto hwy 67, up to the pass and then the descent to highland valley rd.
left on highland valley and let the wild rumpus start! the 7 miles between the highland valley/archie moore rd i-section and the bottom of highland valley rd
recently repaved and is magical. pavé is a 10. didn't see one single spot on either side of the road during that 7 mile stretch that was amiss. helluva ascent with
some big ramps heading from rancho bernardo to ramona. (mostly) descent from ramona to rancho bernardo is a blast and is one of the more funnerer roads in the county.
low traffic generally on hvr and was the same today from 2:30pm-3:15pm. at the western end of highland valley, hung a left onto pomerado back to the start-33 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/44...04668190298738

Last edited by diphthong; 12-17-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-18-20, 06:24 PM
CAT7RDR

Nothing too exciting but getting out on a sunny day in the 70's beats painting the house. Left from home to ride an O/B over Turnbull Cyn up the SGRT to Santa Fe Dam and turned around at the entrance into Azusa Cyn. MUP was clean with about 6 campers around Valley Blvd bridge and maybe a dozen more at Lario Park before the Encanto Park bridge.
Stiff onshore flow on the way back made anything over 17 mph a workout.

60 miles and 3K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34861944

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 12-18-20 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-18-20, 06:46 PM
2seven0

Rode out to Santiago Cyn Rd. then took Silverado Cyn Rd. all the way till it ends at the Maple Springs trail. Good news is that from what I could see the fires didn't touch any structures along the entire hamlet- even on the hillsides. East of the Irvine Lake entrance the fire swept across SCR for several miles but the road is not degraded at all. Looks like the utility crews have replaced the fried powerlines in that area as there was no active work along either road. Can't vouch for anything east of that intersection as I came back the same way but I suspect the road is fine. Returning I turned south on Jamboree then up & over Canyon View to Chapman then back thru VP, Orange then home. 60 miles & a shade over 3600' total elevation gain.
Beautiful if crisp cloudless morning. No other cyclists on Silverado & only saw @ 4 others heading up the hill towards the toll roads on my way back.
Close call of the day: shortly after heading back down Silverado Cyn Rd I was soft-pedaling at @ 30mph came around a corner to find a whitetail doe & her yearling just starting slowly across the road. I stopped pedaling to give them a freewheel buzz & they immediately bolted across & up the hillside. Missed the youngster by a good 40-50 ft. but it got my attention. Don't see that every day!
Wind was predominately from the North but managed to clock E to W a full 180 deg. during the course of my ride.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-18-20, 11:39 PM
TakingMyTime

Returning I turned south on Jamboree then up & over Canyon View to Chapman then back thru VP, Orange then home. 60 miles & a shade over 3600' total elevation gain.
I want to try Jamboree going down it. I'm always riding it uphill to SCR. I guess that's one of the nice things about riding in that area... There's always a nice downhill slope no matter which directions you ride.
Old 12-19-20, 07:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

34-miler in the temecula/de luz/fallbrook/rainbow area with the main shenanigans happening in de luz. lots of up and down as usual out there.
great day..cloudless low 70's with low humidity and maybe a 3-4 mph breeze. pavement northern half of de luz on multiple roads newish or close
to it. only on sandia creek rd on the southern half of the area and pavement closer to a 6.5/7...wake up time. that said, southern half of sandia creek rd
absolutely resplendent with fall colors in the oak/sycamore riparian woodlands along sandia creek. a good amount of running water made it really nice
on those last few miles before passing the southernmost sandia creek/de luz i-section and the 1.5 mile climb out of the santa margarita river watershed to fallbrook.
half-mile section of sandia creek rd still "road closed" (even after a year) near el paseo road because southbound lane is missing a 10 yard section of half the said lane.
looks like they repaired the pipe but doesn't look like that repair is gonna happen anytime soon. a simple matter for cyclists to skirt the barriers and save a
1.5 mile detour (using caution). traffic not too bad, even on a weekend. didn't see any other cyclists in de luz area. their loss. among my fave areas in socal to ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4493240277

Last edited by diphthong; 12-19-20 at 07:46 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-20-20, 10:43 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Rode out to Santiago Cyn Rd. then took Silverado Cyn Rd. all the way till it ends at the Maple Springs trail. Good news is that from what I could see the fires didn't touch any structures along the entire hamlet- even on the hillsides. East of the Irvine Lake entrance the fire swept across SCR for several miles but the road is not degraded at all. Looks like the utility crews have replaced the fried powerlines in that area as there was no active work along either road. Can't vouch for anything east of that intersection as I came back the same way but I suspect the road is fine. Returning I turned south on Jamboree then up & over Canyon View to Chapman then back thru VP, Orange then home. 60 miles & a shade over 3600' total elevation gain.
Beautiful if crisp cloudless morning. No other cyclists on Silverado & only saw @ 4 others heading up the hill towards the toll roads on my way back.
Close call of the day: shortly after heading back down Silverado Cyn Rd I was soft-pedaling at @ 30mph came around a corner to find a whitetail doe & her yearling just starting slowly across the road. I stopped pedaling to give them a freewheel buzz & they immediately bolted across & up the hillside. Missed the youngster by a good 40-50 ft. but it got my attention. Don't see that every day!
Wind was predominately from the North but managed to clock E to W a full 180 deg. during the course of my ride.
West

Thank you for sharing. I love seeing a doe and her fawn. Just a heads up, they were Mule dear.

With 2 small exceptions no whitetail west of the Rockys.
Old 12-20-20, 07:42 PM
CAT7RDR

Tired of the hills. Time for a beach ride. Did my loop using SART, PCH and CCRT.
I am truly amazed by the number of people using monster fatty e-bikes on MUPS. It is a damn motorcycle folks. Rant over.

73 miles and 2.5K climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34873010
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.