Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking For Chain Lube Recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Looking For Chain Lube Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 06:33 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Despite comments to the contrary, chain-L has the LEAST odor of anything I have used. I do not notice anything when I apply it. I do not notice it in a small confined space, like putting the bike in a car or van. I DO notice the smell of tri-flow, clean ride, chainsaw bar oil and most other lubricants that I may or may not use on a chain.

Maybe I better stuff some up my nose to see what you guys are talking about.

-SP
Old 07-20-17, 08:41 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
...., chain-L has the LEAST odor of anything I have used. .....
That's scary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-20-17, 02:18 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Small amount I call 1/2 a Drop on each link.
Isn't a half a drop still... a drop?

I haven't tried Chain-L but I appreciate the humor in the name. Is it #5?
Steve
Old 07-20-17, 02:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks

Steve

Most users apply way too much lube.

Old 07-20-17, 02:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Steve
Yes, it was originally No.5, and both the name and graphics were a parody of the French stuff.

It was fun for a while, and was OK in the USA, but when I started shipping to Europe where the trademark laws weren't as friendly to parody, I opted to avoid the risk of a suit and dropped the No5.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-20-17, 02:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Agreed!
It would be great if someone would market a chain lube in a dispenser that could deliver a fixed, small quantity for each "squeeze". Say, 10 microliters per shot would be plenty, and a container would last forever! I've used a number of lubes over the years, most recently ProGold ProLink. I've been fairly happy with its performance, but it's really hard to control during application.
Steve
Old 07-20-17, 03:00 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boeshield T-9, especially for dirt/gravel paths. Lubricates well, repels dirt, keeps chain clean, and rust protection.

Last edited by Richard8655; 07-20-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 03:08 PM
FBinNY 

Agreed!
It would be great if someone would market a chain lube in a dispenser that could deliver a fixed, small quantity for each "squeeze". Say, 10 microliters per shot would be plenty, and a container would last forever! I've used a number of lubes over the years, most recently ProGold ProLink. I've been fairly happy with its performance, but it's really hard to control during application.
Steve
It's a relatively simple matter of touch. The makers (should) choose a nozzle opening appropriate to the viscosity of the product, but it's up to users to control flow.

The drop size is harder to control because it's inherent to the product itself and depends on viscosity and surface tension. For example, it's nearly impossible to drip a small drop of CHAIN-L, but very easy to squeeze out a very thin steady stream, which can be run down the chain while back pedaling. Other products can also be applied with running a thin stream if you use some touch.

Metering doesn't work that well anyway because everybody has his own preference about how to apply. I for, one would hate to give up my very quick steady stream method to apply drop by drop.

Old 07-20-17, 03:11 PM
akoubik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richard8655
boeshield t-9, especially for dirt/gravel paths. Lubricates well, repels dirt, keeps chain clean, and rust protection.

+1
Old 07-20-17, 03:34 PM
sweeks

I think "Corrosion Block" might be a good chain lube, especially in hostile conditions. I've been using this for years on the quick-disconnects of the pedals on my folding bike, and it seems to prevent rust especially in the winter.
I see (just now) they also make a corrosion-blocking grease... I wonder if this is like "marine" grease.
BlockCorrosion.com Homepage
Steve
Old 07-20-17, 05:10 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunga Dan
I use a wax type lube, like this one WHITE LIGHTNING | Clean Ride White Lightning | Prescott Valley Bike Works Never noticed a smell, and it's MUCH cleaner in general than oil/grease based lubes. One bottle lasts eons!

Dan
I also like this lube. My old LBS used to use it and highly recommended it.
Old 07-20-17, 06:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Here's my philosophy on chain lube, in mathematical form.

any lube > no lube
worst lube =.99(best lube)
Old 07-20-17, 07:32 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Camilo
Here's my philosophy on chain lube, in mathematical form.

any lube > no lube
worst lube =.99(best lube)
Chain lube isn't a value judgement with a linear spectrum running from worst to best.

It's about balancing various factors to find the best for specific purpose or user.

Factors include conditions, ie, wet, dry, dusty, snow, ice and road salt, ambient temperature range, etc. There's also the working conditions, ie. strong rider and/or steep climbs, vs. light conditions like level ground at 15mph or so, spinner or masher, etc.

Then there's user priorities, best lubrication, lowest parasitic drag, ease of use, service interval, smooth/quiet running, clean, ultra clean/dry, etc.

Many of these are trade offs, ie the product with the best lubrication may require frequent application, or may be dirtier.

So, in the end, every person needs to find what works best for him, which may be very different than what works for someone else. This is why many companies offer a variety of very different products, ie, dry teflon, wax, wet oil.

So, don't think "best" think "best suits my needs and preferences"

Old 07-20-17, 08:29 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like the odor of Chain-L. It has hints of rosemary. But I'm actually serious. And I like the way the product works, too.
To me, Chain-L smells like "victory in the morning"... and nothing, in my experience, lasts as long between applications or runs quieter.
One of my riding buddies says Chain-L smells, to him, like "dinosaur farts".
(Pretty sure that he was just kidding as he now uses nothing but Chain-L as well!)
Mmmmmmm "sulphury"... (now with hints of rosemary!)
Old 07-21-17, 04:47 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use a wax type lube, like this one WHITE LIGHTNING | Clean Ride White Lightning | Prescott Valley Bike Works Never noticed a smell, and it's MUCH cleaner in general than oil/grease based lubes. One bottle lasts eons!

Dan
Used that for a long time, then suddenly started chopping out the chainring on my single speed - no, it wasn't a worn chain. Pity, because the cleanliness was a real plus. I should also point out that I'd been using it for a couple of years and then suddenly had the trouble and have often wondered if I just got a bad bottle of lube. Changing to a wetter lube brought back the greasy chains but 'stopped' the wear on the chainring.
Old 07-21-17, 04:48 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hmm, this thread's been up for three days and it's only on its second page. This question usually starts wars! Is it losing it's potency? (oh that's right, it has to compete with disc brake and electric shifter threads these days)
Old 07-21-17, 08:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Agreed, I also got pretty skilled at making very small drops to avoid waste, but nowadays I just keep my out-of-rotation chain in a ziploc bag with a couple tsp of Chain-L. Coiled up flat, getting flipped every month or two, the lube penetrates everywhere just fine.
Old 07-21-17, 12:27 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
My favorite way of dispensing Chain-L is to pour it into a "Boston Round" LDPE bottle with a conical "Yorker" tip. You can find them at kitchen stores (or Walmart), intended for dispensing oils and condiments. The 2 or 4oz sizes work pretty well. It's easy to control the drop size, and easy to keep the tip clean, though the little red snap cap isn't the most secure and can leak if the bottle falls over. I've seen Chain-L packaged in this style for the little 1/2 oz sample bottles, though I can understand why they don't use it for the larger bottles, given the insecurity of the cap. The normal flip cap bottle isn't too bad, I just find the Yorker tip a little easier.

IMHO you can't really drip oils this thick onto the chain without getting a gigantic drop. You sort of squeeze the bottle until a blob forms at the tip, then touch it to the roller. Much easier to control this way. If I just want a quick touch-up of Chain-L before a long ride, without removing the chain or making a mess I just use a very light touch to leave a tiny dot on the gap between the roller and side plate. When doing a clean and relube with the chain off the bike, I use a bigger blob.
Old 07-21-17, 01:16 PM
velocentrik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dan
+1 for dirty, dusty, dry conditions

There essentially are two types of chain lubes: dry and wet, rather Wax based or oil based. Oil based lubes will stick to the chain through sleet, puddles, splashes, mud and snow. However they also attract grime, grit and chain and ring and cog killing filth. Theoretically a wet oil lube lasts much longer than a dry wax lube. However, the chain gets so dirty and is such an attractant to grime and grit (the opposite of a clean well lubes chain) it's effectiveness on the drivetrain becomes deleterious. With an oil based or wet lube you need to constantly clean the chain of the gunk, grit and grime that will wear the chain and eat rings/cogs. However, wax dry lubes don't last nearly as long as wet oil lubes. In fact for very long rides 100k + is about the reapply interval. The chain will stay clean but the wax dry lube just doesn't last in ideal conditions. It's worthless in the wet/rain/snow/muck. The oil wet lube will last long past the point where it's collected so much grit/grime it's starting to eat the drivetrain.

The real question is what conditions do you ride in? Also whether you like reapplying dry wax lube constantly or completely cleaning and relubing your chain almost as often.
Old 07-21-17, 03:05 PM
Gunga Dan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by velocentrik
The chain will stay clean but the wax dry lube just doesn't last in ideal conditions. It's worthless in the wet/rain/snow/muck.
I bike in the PNW in less than ideal weather, and have not found this to be the case. Nor have I had to reapply the wax with great frequency.
Old 07-21-17, 03:18 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I've tried several types of lube; Dumonde, Chain-L, Sachs and Tri-Flow and I think Finish Line Dry is the best. It goes on easy, isn't expensive, doesn't stink and has just the right viscosity for summer riding. Finish Line Wet for winter.
I am used to wiping down and lubing my chain after each long ride. It gives me an opportunity to monitor the chain by feel as well as sight, which is something I consider a critical aspect of maintenance. I might not lube it every time, but I'll wipe it down, at least.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 07-21-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 04:58 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Eeek! I'm going to have to give up eating steak and settle for rice and beans for the rest of my life.
Do you make the Chain-L lube?
Old 07-21-17, 05:15 PM
box opener

Bikes: Columbus Aelle OR steel frame

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save
Save
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
22012.jpg (16.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 07-21-17, 05:34 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Do you make the Chain-L lube?
Yep. guilty, as charged..

Old 07-21-17, 06:18 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yep. guilty, as charged..
Cool, really like it. Got the reference to Chanel #5 as well. Found it funny and clever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.