Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time biking. Is it okay to go on the sidewalk on the more busy streets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First time biking. Is it okay to go on the sidewalk on the more busy streets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 07:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
^^^makes me glad I don't live in NYC

Old 06-07-11, 08:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
You really like that word, don't you.
You can't really define it with mathmatical precision. So it gives me lots of wiggle room when challenged.

Pick the right qualifiers, and it makes it much harder for people to prove you're wrong.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-07-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 02:29 PM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Flashback:

I learned how to ride a bike in the sidewalk.
I was a very little boy in the basement rec room with my family (late 1960s) for my birthday when my father rolled in a red bicycle. I didn't make the connection until he said 'it's yours'. A complete surprise!
I lived in suburban Maryland, semidetached houses with small yards on a road at the top of a small hill which ends at a 'T' intersection at the bottom. I was taught to ride on the sidewalk by getting on the bike with my dad walking besides me holding the bike up for balance then running, pushing me as I peddled, and then he'd let go. This was on the sidewalk in front of my house headed downhill. I repeatedly crashed into my neighbors' landscaping bushes that lined the sidewalk, after just a few yards, and rise up covered in dirt and mulch.
Then it took: I was riding! My family was yelling and cheering 'Peddle! Peddle!". Elated, I was riding down the hill! I was picking up speed and riding quite well. Then I saw the end of the block coming and got concerned and it dawned on me that unfortunately, I didn't know how to use the brakes! It was a salient ecstatic moment mixed with adrenaline and fear. It's a combo I've enjoyed pursuing my whole life in various endeavors.

I recall vividly the moment I discovered the coaster brakes by accident, at the last moment, when I stopped pedaling very near the end of the sidewalk and headed off the curb and into the street. I slowed down but didn't stop: I crossed the street, went up the curb on the other side, and crashed into a bush on someone's lawn. Unscathed, I remember asking my dad why he hadn't told me about the brakes!
Old 06-07-11, 04:17 PM
AChristie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You all shouldn't use absolutes like "Never".

99.99% of the time I ride on the road.
However one quarter mile stretch would require me to ride in the gutter or tempt fate on a very busy street in the morning.
There are no driveways, and rare pedestrians. If I encounter one I stop.

So I guess I must be a clueless newbie, right?

Last edited by AChristie; 06-07-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 06:37 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AChristie
You all shouldn't use absolutes like "Never".

Is that an, err, absolute rule?

Old 06-07-11, 06:52 PM
Lovegasoline

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
^^^makes me glad I don't live in NYC
It's fun!
If you like the adrenaline, proximity, and intensity (and don't forget, NYC drivers are very aggressive, especially during rush hours) it's thrilling. If one's city bicycling style is fast, aggressive, and opportunistic, it becomes a grand urban adventure sport.

That being said, there's no hard and fast rules on sidewalk riding, but rather soft and slow common sense. My personal guidelines include always yielding right of way to pedestrians on sidewalks and riding in such a manner in which the pedestrians can discern my path of travel and that I've communicated to them that they are safe and will not be endangered or inconvenienced by my presence (via riding style, yielding right of way, subtle cues, body language, facial and hand gestures, and verbal communication).

Crowded or semi-crowded sidewalks are a clusterfuk and in my experience it's best for the biker to take initiative and give the 'commands' or cues for the flow, rather than be swallowed by a free-for-all. It's analogous to a waiter carrying a huge tray of teetering high-stemmed champagne glasses through a loud crowded throbbing ballroom: if the waiter doesn't take initiative or is submissive to the crowd, his trajectory will be wholly determined by the vicissitudes of the half drunken crowd and he’ll be knocked, jostled, blocked, and will arrive late at his destination and/or with some of the glasses spilt or knocked over through being bumped or from swerving sharply out of clueless guests' way. If instead, the waiter moves with authority, poise, determination, and makes his trajectory known to those around him courteously, suddenly and intuitively the crowd parts like the Red Sea (excepting for that one, always clueless guest) and then reforms behind him, effortlessly.

In the same manner that a horse is comfortable with a skilled rider on it’s back even negotiating difficult terrain, pedestrians likewise can be comforted by your skill and consideration, and by your taking charge of their safety, instead of being angered at your having placed them in danger’s way and/or inconvenienced them. If your sidewalk riding resembles the flashback episode in the movie Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Pink runs down the sidewalk after a botched diamond heist, you’re doing something terribly wrong.

Riding on sidewalks at speed can be very dangerous as suggested up-thread. Riding on sidewalks, in certain locals and in certain riding styles, can be an at times inexcusable breech of civility (and law). One must gauge for themselves the appropriateness of sidewalk riding, and then the duration and style, based on local custom, situation, and circumstance.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 06-07-11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 07:42 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems one component is missing from this discussion. Not all "sidewalks" are created equal. There is a stretch of my commute I take on the sidewalk, actually right before getting into the office so there isn't an alternate route. It turns out that it's about 100 yards long. There are no streets going into or out of the sidewalk. There is a busy road on one side and an empty field on the other side. If I were to take the road here I'd have to make a left hand turn onto a very busy street with three lanes either direction and 50+ mph of cars. Then ride on said street for those 100 yards, then make a left hand turn across the busy three lane street again. As it is I travel the wrong way on a sidewalk with no streets going in or out and virtually no foot traffic. I think it's the safer choice.
Old 06-07-11, 10:12 PM
AChristie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Is that an, err, absolute rule?

Absol... Er, without a doubt!
Old 06-08-11, 05:04 PM
Butcher

Bikes: 2005 S-Works SR Equipped,1978 Tom Ritchie Road bike, Kuwahara Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
There's a situation like that where I take the sidewalk up a steep and busy hill. It's important to point out that there are no driveways breaking up the sidewalk I take on this ride - otherwise I would have found a different route.
It sucks, but I live on that hill. I could ride up another hill and come down the hill. At 45-50mph, it would be some sight to take a 90 degree right turn.

And no, my house is almost paid for and I am not moving.

I do agree, the sidewalks are for walking/running speeds. Bikes should not be on the sidewalks but there are very very few exceptions.
Old 06-08-11, 05:44 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it on every ride. Why because I live off of a 4 line road with a median. It is way more dangerous to maneuver the road then just ride about 100 feet on a never traveled sidewalk. Done it about 200 times without a problem. Even cops don't look twice.

Everyone here would do the same thing.

I will paint a picture if necessary and I feel reasonably certain everyone here will agree with me.
Old 06-08-11, 05:46 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Otherwise NO never. I need the open road.
Old 06-09-11, 01:59 AM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I vote let's see said road on google maps street view.
Old 06-09-11, 02:06 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk
This will be my first time biking with a road bike. Is it okay for me to ride on the sidewalk instead of riding in the bike lane?
Depends where you live. In some places it's illegal. In others it's illegal but tolerated. In others still it's legal and in others it's all but expected.

For me if a road is so busy I don't want to take the lane then it's so busy I don't want to take that route at all. On the path you're sharing with pedestrians and having to give way to just about everything - side roads, driveways etc. There's places near where I live that have marked bike paths on the sidewalks (except we call them pavements) that I don't use because I don't want to have to be constantly watching for children on scooters and stopping every 100 yards for the next side road.