Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 10:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My Trek 7500 cross conversion... right before I parked it for the night.

Old 12-08-07, 12:47 AM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike. I actually got around to cleaning it, and so thought I'd take a pic while it looked so nice. Normally it's very grubby, and is weighed down with a lock, water bottle, pump, saddle pack, lights (including my very fetching 'plastic bad and elastic band' waterproofing or the rear one), computer...
Old 12-09-07, 12:17 AM
rdrk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

built from the junk box yesterday - i got a little tired of riding around pullman, wa on a singlespeed. this monstrosity will give me a few more options with the unavoidable hills. i'd been wanting a seven speed for a month or two and when i finally did the part math, i figured i had all of the stuff.

the bike itself is from everywhere. the frame is from a fuji that was thrown off of a building in ann arbor, mi. i kept the frame and scrapped the rest. for a good year or two it was my fixed gear junker for getting to work and back. the wheels and the bar end shifter (there's a unibroue cork in the opposite bar end) are from a trek 520 i got used over the summer. great bike, but the frame rusted through. so in the current incarnation, this bike will see the worst the weather has to offer.
Old 12-09-07, 07:16 PM
dngspot
Just another bum

Bikes: Giant FCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Giant FCR 2. My old bike is a Trek Y26. This bike should have come from Walmart due to its quality. The Giant is much better for the commute,
Old 12-10-07, 01:35 PM
guitardude7889
El Duderino

Bikes: '08 Trek Portland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my commuter, dubbed "The Cream Machine!" Its a '08 Trek Portland with full fenders on it.

Old 12-10-07, 02:08 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by reueladhikari
Why do you make your Surly sit on newspapers? Does it pee on the floor?
Old 12-10-07, 08:25 PM
Ventana Rider
Ironic Stompin'

Bikes: 1996 Ventana Marlble Peak FS, 2010 Veloforma Corsa, 2014 Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old School Cannondale R600 Commuter

1992 Cannondale R600
Shimano 105 7-speed with downtube shifting
700x28 tires
Cygolite Rover II LED headlight
Cateye & Cygolite rear flashing LED's with a surplus USGC xenon strobe on the rack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cannondale - 01.jpg (53.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 12-11-07, 10:19 AM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my current commuter without the rank and panniers and with Trailblasters rather than Marathon.

Drive side

Non drive side
Old 12-11-07, 10:21 AM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And this is what I commuted on for a while.

Drive side

Non drive side
Old 12-11-07, 10:13 PM
EasyEd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guitardude7889, How do you like that trek portland? I've been thinking about one of those. It sure is a nice looking bike!
Old 12-14-07, 05:19 PM
guitardude7889
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EasyEd
Hey guitardude7889, How do you like that trek portland? I've been thinking about one of those. It sure is a nice looking bike!

I wouldn't trade it for the world! Its incredibly light, nimble, and handles the rain perfectly! If you were considering winter commuting where it rains/snows, i would take off the fenderettes it comes with and put on the full fenders. Its definitely worth it. The disc brakes are a dream, and take practically no work to get up and running. I looked at the "Lemond Poprad Disc" and the "Trek Portland', both of which are extremely similar in components. Difference is the agressivness of the frame. The lemond was much more agressive and bent over, while the Portland was more upright. I found the Portland much more comfortable to ride, and I find that i am comforable in the drops. The lemond is just to bent over for me, and i wasn't comfortable in the drops for more than a few minutes. I felt like my knees were hitting my stomach, thats how agressive it was. Ride both, as both are equally well put together and have exactly the same components, just different frames. The Lemond also comes with a STEEL frame, while the Portland comes with an aluminum frame. I must admit i was more pleased with the Steel frame rather than the aluminum, but on the flip side, i've heard that Steel frames are more likely to rust than aluminum. I often have to park my bike in the rain without a cover, so that was a concern of mine. I've had my bike for a few months, i got it in the begining of october, and i haven't had any adjustments done on it yet. The people at the LBS who put it together for me accidentally built an '07 instead of an '08. After they built the '08 for me, they commented that the '08 seemed much sturdier and well put together than the '07 did. If i were you, i would look for the '08 instead of the '07. And no matter what you get, make sure you lock the hell out of that thing when you get it. i've had bikes stolen all around me, but mine hasn't been touched because i dont take chances with my locks. hope this helps.
Old 12-14-07, 05:22 PM
guitardude7889
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reueladhikari
why did you take the drops off?
Old 12-14-07, 06:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My slush bike...

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 12-14-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 09:38 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent 2 weeks once again commuting regularly by a real commuter bicycle. First time since the 1980s. I've commuted off and on via road bike, but rarely just for commuting. Always part of a "ride" and moving pretty quick. Haven't had a poke along, wear normal clothes bike for a long time. Converted a Fuji Professional all Campy for commuting, did that for a few weeks off and on. Clearly wasn't going to do for long haul. No way to really mount a rack, fenders, etc., 25s would barely fit. So I got a LeMond Wayzata on eBay. Current setup has F & R racks (old Blackburn lowriders in the front), and a handlebar bag mount. Replaced the stem with a longer one, got different high-rise bars (couldn't cut down the carbon bars it came with), and replaced the bontrager tires. They were incredibly harsh. Just running junk tires, 23s. I really would prefer 28s, but I need to kill off all my old tires first! It's a bit odd riding non-drop bars, but I'm getting used to it. Oh, and I put on powergrips. They're great. I normally ride with the front bags for clothes and work stuff (clip boards, etc.), and the trunk for bike support stuff. Spare tire, tube, tools, whatever. Planet Bike fenders. I use moderately stiff sole leather casual shoes cuz I can work in them. And I carry a messenger bag with my laptop. I'd rather have it on the bike, but I don't trust the panniers I have.

The basic bike has a pretty normal road geometry. 853 with aluminum fork. Tiagra w/ R440 shifters. V brakes are OK. Bontrager crank I don't trust. I have another I'll put on, an FSA alloy triple. Bontrager Select wheels I don't really trust, but they seem to be doing OK.

My commute is only 3 miles, but I have a brief stretch of 25% right up my road. That's out of the saddle in my low gear dead cold! Then a downhill back to the lake. Then another climb. And another. Finally a bit of level and I can see the Smokies on the horizon with the morning sun rising over them. South of them, the Unicoi Mountains and Hangover, my favorite spot. I pass the dairy ranch, then let Lulu the ancient bassett chase me. Then down to the lake again, to my shop, Gianna Violins. It's a beautiful short country ride. And I'm really enjoying the bike.

I've been riding it other places, too. Nice to have a utility bike as well as a performance bike. And yesterday Gianna rode alone the first time since her accident this summer. She was almost in tears she was so happy. So she needs a commuting bike. She ordered a little trailer to bring the dog to work - that's cute!

I notice I still have a Snowshoe trail tag on the trunk bag handle. The bag was on our Gary Fisher tandem then - we were riding the tandem off road up in WVa. Funny how these pieces of equipment have memories coming out of them!

Old 12-15-07, 12:34 AM
abmtnbkr
Lovin the O.C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful ride mandovoodoo!! Is the bracket on the handlebars for a light system?
Old 12-15-07, 04:42 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bracket is for a handlebar bag. If I don't need the panniers or I need access to things (e.g., cellphone or camera) during a ride I'll pop my handlebar bag on.

If I think of it, I'll photograph my commute next week. Can normally see the mountains really well in the morning and sunset in the evening this time of year. It's a funny commute. I live and work on the left bank of the Tennessee River, but get down to River level one additional time. In between I pop up onto the limestone karst plain. So it's up down up down to work, unless I take a longer route.
Old 12-15-07, 06:32 AM
reueladhikari

Bikes: Cross Check with Rohloff hub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike does pee excess lube so the newspapers on the floor. :-)
Old 12-16-07, 07:53 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, here's mine. I read a ton on this and ss/fg but don't post much.

I ride about 10 miles/day, I've had this since August. I wear a backpack and my light setup is a PB Superflash and a Fenix L2D CE. My lock is an Onguard Mini Bulldog.

I want some skinny slicks for this, as I ride onroad 95% of the time.

My other babies:

Old 12-17-07, 07:46 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've recently changed several things on my main commuter, so I figured I'd use that as an excuse to post a new picture.

I've got a Deore rear derailluer ordered. I had the Acera laying around and wanted to use a cassette with a 34 tooth large cog, so I tried it out. So far it's been kind of disappointing.
Old 12-17-07, 09:59 PM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lamplight that is one hellafied rockin front rack! And I dig the 57 (guestimating) steer tube spacers.

Is that a DIY MR16 halo headlight?
Old 12-18-07, 06:05 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks! The headlight is just the one that came with my Basta generator light. It's actually pretty cheap and crappy, but it works. I had a DIY light on there with a 12 volt battery and two 20 watt MR11s, but I got tired of it because it was soooooo heavy. It was more than bright enough though. There are so many headset spacers because my LBS only had small ones at the time.
Old 12-19-07, 01:14 AM
BikeManDan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Choccy
And this is what I commuted on for a while.

Drive side
There is something just wrong about this....
Old 12-19-07, 11:16 AM
guitardude7889
El Duderino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While im sure a full-suspension MTB has a comfy cozy ride, i dont think it is best suited for commuting. It just looks weird with the slicks on it. I say you use your other bike as the commuter, throw some knobbies on the santa cruz, and rip up the mountiain!
Old 12-19-07, 11:26 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Saturday Dec 15,2007 Coming home from a Ice storm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
iceride (reducuced).jpg (3.9 KB, 2048 views)
Old 12-19-07, 12:34 PM
testtube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the current incarnation of my winter commuter:

(might change pic if I get access to better camera)

Of note:

On-One Il Pompino (gift from wife for my birthday!)
Nokian W106 700x35 (excellent in winter on compact snow and ice)
Avid BB7 Disc Brake (again excellent when snow/ice starts to stick to everything including bike)
Bontrager Grippy Tape (always grippy even when wet!)
Surly Dingle, 17t/19t (for those days when conditions change while at work, my derailleur is a 15mm wrench)
Crank Bros. Smarty Pedals (were cheap, but I can tell these will die quickly)
NiteRider BlowTorch HID (people seem to take me a bit more seriously with the 40W of light)
Planet Bike SpeedEZ fenders (a little too small for tires, but do the job...)
Surly hubs laced to Salsa Delgado Cross rims (my first wheel build!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.