Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Archtypes of the Average Cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Archtypes of the Average Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 11:19 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Although there are far more recreational cyclists, and racer might put in triple my mileage, I'd bet commuters put in the most miles of all of us.
Not so sure about that... commuters tend to put in small fixed amounts of milage per week that a racer type might put in a single day.

However a commuter/racer type might put in some fixed amount per day and then do a club ride on a weekend and really hit the milage numbers.
Old 04-16-06, 11:49 AM
closetbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
There's a wide variety of distances commuters ride, however, according to NBDA, there are almost 18 times the amount of commuters than racers and many of those commuters ride year 'round instead of the high mileage months of competition for racers.

I wouldn't be surprised that commuter miles = racer miles. Not saying that's so, just that commuters deserve have a good bit to say about how things should go for cycling policy. At least as much as racers or recreational cyclists. Maybe more, because commuters on bicycles should be encouraged to help traffic flow in a city.

Last edited by closetbiker; 04-16-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 11:51 AM
here and there

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Coastal San Diego is similar to Santa Barbara in many ways. We have:
1) bicycle commuters who cannot afford cars, including Latino workers;
2) club riders and triathletes-in=training with expensive bikes and clothing;
3) casual beach cruisers, both locals and tourists;
4) a smaller group of folks like me, who do solo recreational cycling and transportation cycling by choice.
Sounds very similar to what I see here in South San Diego. #1 is what I see more often than not, usually riding on the sidewalk against traffic.

#2 and #3 I see on the MUP all the time, especially on a warm sunny weekend/weekday afternoon (that's when I avoid the MUP).

#4 is the category I fall into. I don't ride to work, but if it was practical for me to do so I would. I do solo riding for exercise and because it's just plain fun to get out and ride. I primarily ride the local MUP, simply because it is only a few minutes away from my house and it is a long one (round trip 17 miles). I ride early in the a.m. and rarely see more than a handful of cyclists. When I have more time I take a different route that is a mix of paths and riding in the streets. I use bike lanes, but if they are too narrow or in poor conditions I will take my place on the road and am not afraid to do so.
Old 04-16-06, 01:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
There's a wide variety of distances commuters ride, however, according to NBDA, there are almost 18 times the amount of commuters than racers and many of those commuters ride year 'round instead of the high mileage months of competition for racers.

I wouldn't be surprised that commuter miles = racer miles. Not saying that's so, just that commuters deserve have a good bit to say about how things should go for cycling policy. At least as much as racers or recreational cyclists. Maybe more, because commuters on bicycles should be encouraged to help traffic flow in a city.
My analogy would be that the miles run up by the competitors practicing/racing for the NASCAR racing circuit should not be considered giving those Experienced High Mileage Driversmore say than taxi cab drivers, daily commuters, EMT vehicle operators or Soccor Moms when discussing the type of accomodations that should be made for drivers of motor vehicles in their faircities. No more so than basing bicycling advocacy on the needs of the competitors in the Race Across America or the Paris-Brest-Paris races.
Old 04-16-06, 02:16 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe being a typical archtype average cyclist needs to be more than just trying to survive the commute to work. Involvement in education of both cyclists and motorists is important. Communicating with the powers that be to ACTUALLY advocate bicycling in this modern society. I'd like to think that our archtype is enthusiastic about bikes whether it's taking his/her kid around the block to a century to celebrate someone's birthday. In other words, if we can be show that joy and zeal to others, than how could bicycling not be more appealing?
Old 04-16-06, 03:06 PM
closetbiker

Recreational cyclists ride a wide variety of distance as well, but I'd bet their distances are pale in comparisson with commuters or racers yearly mileage. Still, with at least 18 times more recreational, than commuter cyclists, I'd say it's a fair bet a "typical" cyclist, on the road at any time, can be any kind of cyclist imaginable.
Old 04-16-06, 03:08 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I think a very low, lowest common denominator of cycling skills is probably part of the aggregate.
Old 04-16-06, 03:23 PM
closetbiker

I'd say a low common denominator of cycling skills is far more common in cyclists who have accidents and are present in those that motorists complain about.

Doesn't mean those that have skills and stay out of accidents and complaints are less plentiful. I'd say those skillful cyclists are in the majority. You just don't hear enough about them.

After all, didn't you mention reading that there were 65 million Americans that rode bicycles in the past year? There are only around 700 deaths on bicycles a year.

Last edited by closetbiker; 04-16-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 06:02 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i'm betting most of those 65 million americans have a low aggregate of cycling skills, yes.

The average cyclist. doesn't wear spandex, rides a few times a year....7 miles per hour. might think wishfully about bike commuting as gas prices increase. Still pissed when they see bikers from their car windows, getting thru traffic congestion.

i think the skillful cyclist, those able to comfortably negotiate high speed differential, high volume arterials with alphadawg powerweave tactics- the extreme minority.
Old 04-16-06, 06:37 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think drivers get the most upset about the recreational racers who blow the lights and ride 2 or more abreast. I can hear them say, "Why should they get to use the roads as their personal playground when the rest of us are trying to get to work on time?" Next in line for their ire are the ones riding without lights and dark clothing. I don't think they notice or care about most of the rest.

Ironic that the ones that get BF members' dander up are the ones drivers co-exist in peace with the easiest: the joe-blow ordinary cyclists, the ones who use bike lanes, have some basic safety gear, and don't study books on cycling. These folks are the Honda Accords of the bicycling world.
Old 04-17-06, 07:43 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I have a vision of the archtypical rider in America.

A person that rode as a kid, but has lately been getting back into cycling. Unsure about traffic negotiation. Considers drivers wild and crazy and traffic being dangerous. Wants to ride more, mabye commute to work, or at least do it more often. Wonders about the virtues of chamois. Conflicted- spandex or no spandex? Average speed: 12 miles an hour.
Sounds very plausible.
Old 04-17-06, 08:10 AM
genec
genec

I'd say a low common denominator of cycling skills is far more common in cyclists who have accidents and are present in those that motorists complain about.

Doesn't mean those that have skills and stay out of accidents and complaints are less plentiful. I'd say those skillful cyclists are in the majority. You just don't hear enough about them.

After all, didn't you mention reading that there were 65 million Americans that rode bicycles in the past year? There are only around 700 deaths on bicycles a year.
Of that 65 million that rode bicycles last year... how many were riding on the streets, and how many drove to some park and rode on the MUP? That is where the difference lies. I know when I visit my brother in law in Newport beach, they know I cycle... so everyone gets excited about taking a bicycle trip, they get the bikes out of the garage, wipe off the dust and spider webs, use my good floor pump, and then we all go for about a 10 mile round trip ride on quiet back streets until we get to the beach boardwalk and back. They rode their bikes. The next time I visit, the conversation will be... "remember when we took that long bike ride..."

Yeah 65 million Americans ride a bike at least once a year. Ask these same folks about using a bike as regular transportation and the first thing that comes out are excuses not to... and questions about whether it is even legal to do so on "the regular streets... "

If 65 million Americans rode bikes regularly (even if not for commuting) I would think it would be pretty obvious both in our collective waistlines and on the streets where they might ride.
Old 04-17-06, 08:15 AM
genec
genec

Tend to very much agree... in that commuters and utility cyclists are "the working cyclists...," whereas everyone else is doing it for recreational reasons.

I know that as a recreational racer type, I like to wait for the best conditions of the day to ride... such as early weekend mornings. As a commuter, I don't have that choice.
Old 04-17-06, 09:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
Tend to very much agree... in that commuters and utility cyclists are "the working cyclists...," whereas everyone else is doing it for recreational reasons.

I know that as a recreational racer type, I like to wait for the best conditions of the day to ride... such as early weekend mornings. As a commuter, I don't have that choice.
Again I will point out that those describing archetypes continue to neglect the largest number of cyclists and those possibly most dependent on a bicycle for transportation/personal freedom purposes: youthful cyclists who are cycling/commuting to school, playground, friends' house, the candy store, and anywhere else they want to go.
Old 04-17-06, 09:51 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Again I will point out that those describing archetypes continue to neglect the largest number of cyclists and those possibly most dependent on a bicycle for transportation/personal freedom purposes: youthful cyclists who are cycling/commuting to school, playground, friends' house, the candy store, and anywhere else they want to go.
You're giving away your age. Years ago, when I was a kid, even when my kids were pre-teen, I would agree with your assessment. But today, I think there are many less kids riding anywhere, let alone to school or to work. Regarding those of limited means who rely on transportation other than a POV, it's hard to tell what percentage are actually using a bicycle, or opt for walking, mass transit, etc. It might be safe to say that their numbers are pretty much a constant, varying only by the percentage that the population has grown and the state of the economy as a whole. So, I would have to agree that, today, the greater number and thus the 'average' cyclist is a recreational, non-club, cyclist who pretty much rides on the weekends, during fair weather, usually on a MUP, bike path, or other off-road venue.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-17-06, 09:54 AM
genec
genec

Exactly... the ultimate utility cyclists.

They however are also the ultimate hidden cyclists as they rarely ride in full public view. Kids often ride back alleys, sidewalks, back lots and shortcuts (under power poles, open lots etc).

Just riding my fat tire cruiser within a couple miles of my house this weekend... I was about as much kidlike as a 50 year old can be. And often I would see these packs of kids on their 20 inch wheeled bikes, darting from one furtive location to another... dashing across the back of the playgrounds, riding against the flow of traffic on quiet streets, jumping from the street to the sidewalk thanks to driveway aprons, scooting behind the theater and through the back of other parking lots. But never did I see them on the arterial streets. (although they did ride on the arterial sidewalks) They are out having fun, just as I was, on my big fat tire bike. They are there, but hardly visible. And yeah, they probably ride often.

But what happens when these kids reach driving age? How many of them will recall the fun they had on bikes? Or worse, how many will try to drive like they cycled?

Side note... so while I was buzzing about on the local streets, I noticed the biggest traffic hazard to me was folks turning off the arterial streets and taking corners wide and fast. They are leaving the 45MPH streets and hitting the 25MPH side streets as if no one was there or should be. I noticed the look of surprise in a couple of drivers eyes when they saw me in the opposite lane on these narrow streets as these motorists easily crossed the line (if one even existed).
Old 04-17-06, 09:55 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point. If we can get kids to look at bicycling as an activity that lasts a lifetime, then maybe a bit of a sea change in attitude towards cycling...
Old 04-17-06, 09:59 AM
closetbiker

I'll give you that a good number of kids ride bikes, but the number drops off when those kids hit driving age and the sheer numbers of the smaller portion of bike riders in the older age groups outnumber those youthful cyclists.

The 95% of riders that put in little mileage do so in a dangerous fashion. I'm sure they represent more than their share in injuries and deaths.

Check out how people on bikes die in this 8 year study and ask yourself how easy it could be to avoid these situations.

https://www.helmets.org/bcstudy.htm (3/4 way down, prt VI, appendix A)

If those 65 million rode regularily (and safer) the biggest impact would be to our collective health that dwarfs the accident/collision problem.
Old 04-17-06, 10:00 AM
genec
genec

I do agree with chipcom about the lack of kids riding to school... but I disagree that kids aren't even riding. The schoolgrounds lack of bike parking and parents all too willing to drive is part of the problem.

But kids are out there riding as ILTB noted, and as I saw... they are there, but they are not very public.

My own son was an example... wouldn't be caught dead riding a bike to school (in spite of my instance and providing him with a good bike and good lock). But as soon as he got home, he would take off "riding the trails" with friends. He may not have done a lot of miles, but he and others were out there riding... just like those various packs of kids I saw just yesterday.
Old 04-17-06, 10:03 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Exactly... the ultimate utility cyclists.

They however are also the ultimate hidden cyclists as they rarely ride in full public view. Kids often ride back alleys, sidewalks, back lots and shortcuts (under power poles, open lots etc).
Oh I think they are in full public view alright; but totally off the radar screen of cycling enthusiasts; almost as invisible as the invisible cyclists that the Bicycling Magazine Editors "discovered " for one month. Just like motorists looking for on coming motorized vehicles look right through and never see approaching "invisible' Cyclists.
Old 04-17-06, 10:15 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's interesting that bicycles represent an exciting form of transportation for children. It broadens their scope of places to go with their friends (at least, it did when I was young.) But then when they approach 16 they start looking at cars as the new exciting way to get there. After that, many give up the bike. It's as if they're trying to be more "adult."

Trying to be more "adult" is what started me smoking at age 12. (Glad I gave it up at 30, then got back on the bike a few years later.)
Old 04-17-06, 10:18 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Coastal San Diego is similar to Santa Barbara in many ways. We have:
1) bicycle commuters who cannot afford cars, including Latino workers;
2) club riders and triathletes-in=training with expensive bikes and clothing;
3) casual beach cruisers, both locals and tourists;
4) a smaller group of folks like me, who do solo recreational cycling and transportation cycling by choice.
An array of choices much like my area only it would be:

1. bicycle commuters who cannot afford cars, including Latino workers ~? 40%
2. kids on BMX bikes ~? 30%
3. club riders etc ~? 20%
4. a smaller group . . . ~? 10%
_________
5. surfing and beach use is limited due to distance from population centers.
Old 04-17-06, 10:22 AM
genec
genec

Oh I think they are in full public view alright; but totally off the radar screen of cycling enthusiasts; almost as invisible as the invisible cyclists that the Bicycling Magazine Editors "discovered " for one month. Just like motorists looking for on coming motorized vehicles look right through and never see approaching "invisible' Cyclists.
Oh you are right about them being "off the radar screen..." especially since Bike Shop owners and Bike magazines are probably trying to appeal to their parents... who control the wallets.

But as far as being visible... I really doubt it. The kids in my area are traveling in places that most adults never would even think to go... and I don't mean the streets. I am talking alleys, back lots and dirt trails... I would venture that not even their parents know how little Johnny gets from his house to friend Steves house... on the other side of the freeway, across the RR tracks. The other reason for the kids to actually work at being invisible... mandatory helmet laws. These kids are technically fugitives from the law... hiding in places where cruising cops are not likely to see them either... just because the kids don't wanna wear the "dorky helmets."

Why did I see them... 'cause I was riding my fat tire bike like a big kid... jumping curbs and riding back lots myself. Very much unlike my usual riding of my "racer" which is on the streets and fast, but very vehicular. (no way could I even think to jump a curb with those skinny wheels).
Old 04-17-06, 10:59 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do agree with chipcom about the lack of kids riding to school... but I disagree that kids aren't even riding. The schoolgrounds lack of bike parking and parents all too willing to drive is part of the problem.

But kids are out there riding as ILTB noted, and as I saw... they are there, but they are not very public.

My own son was an example... wouldn't be caught dead riding a bike to school (in spite of my instance and providing him with a good bike and good lock). But as soon as he got home, he would take off "riding the trails" with friends. He may not have done a lot of miles, but he and others were out there riding... just like those various packs of kids I saw just yesterday.
Maybe it's this area, but I have noticed a huge drop in the number of kids riding at all. Their parents either don't get them bikes at all, or they don't let them ride. Our youngest often invites his friends to go riding with us...most of the time I have to let them ride one of our old bikes because they don't have one of their own. We used to see literally hundreds of kids riding in the park, now it's rare to see more than a handful. Yes, kids still ride, but dammit, from my view the numbers ain't what they used to be.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-17-06, 11:24 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by chipcom
Maybe it's this area, but I have noticed a huge drop in the number of kids riding at all. Their parents either don't get them bikes at all, or they don't let them ride. Our youngest often invites his friends to go riding with us...most of the time I have to let them ride one of our old bikes because they don't have one of their own. We used to see literally hundreds of kids riding in the park, now it's rare to see more than a handful. Yes, kids still ride, but dammit, from my view the numbers ain't what they used to be.
Wow, parents not even buying 'em bikes... now that is a crying shame. I know that as my son grew, we recycled his smaller bikes to neighbor kids that did not have a bike... just seemed like the right thing to do.

I will fully admit that kids are not riding to school as they once did... at least in my lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.