Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Broken 10 speed DA, now what?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Broken 10 speed DA, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 04:44 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by draganm
I really don't want o gamble with used shifters, especially 7800, lots of guys had problems with those in my club and switched to Sram.
You don't want to gamble with used shifters, yet the bike will be sold as "used" anyway? I don't get it.

I replaced my shifters with used ones. If they don't look particularly mistreated, shifters can / will last a LONG time. Just buy from a reputable seller on Ebay with good feedback.

You will get more value out of your bike on the second hand market with old full Dura Ace than with Sram Rival I would think. Even if it is 10 speed. And a lot of people don't like Sram anyway. (I personally like my Sram Force, but some seem to hate Sram). If you sell the bike to someone with limited cycling knowledge, the "Shimano Dura Ace" name would look better I think.
Old 03-26-20, 07:23 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
aliexpress. Probably coming from China.
Yeah, but it's not slow due to Covid-19 issues. Items ordered through Aliexpress always take a long time to arrive.
Old 03-26-20, 07:49 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
New 7000 series shifters alone won't work with your 7900 derailleurs, but your brakes, crankset. and wheelset will..

I'd look for a mini-groupset that includes shifters, derailleurs, 11spd cassette, and chain. If you aren't in a huge hurry Aliexpress usually has them available for a good price.

something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...8cef464cHanJkQ
Are these counterfeit or legit?

I thought Aliexpress is the wild west of online shopping, and anything and everything can / could be counterfeit?
Old 03-26-20, 08:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Are these counterfeit or legit?

I thought Aliexpress is the wild west of online shopping, and anything and everything can / could be counterfeit?
Stuff like this is pretty hard to counterfeit, and extremely expensive to do so(not cost effective). The parts that I've ordered(Shimano r785 di2 shifters + hydraulic brakes) were legit, and work perfectly with the rest of the system.
Old 03-26-20, 11:59 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
Campy
This is always the answer, no matter what the question!
best corkscrew?... Campy
which Star Trek should I watch?.... Campy 1960's original
who invented the QR?... Campy
what components did Dave Stohler like best?.... Campy

You get the idea!