Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick questions and answers

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Quick questions and answers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 08:12 PM
carmavore

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, All-City Macho Man, State Bicycle Black Label

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe WD40 works, wild
Old 06-19-15, 09:22 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Then I guess its about 2,000 miles old give or take. After calculating the miles I realize it's probably time for a new chain.
Old 07-26-15, 02:15 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I know everyone is riding the Giro Republics now since they keep popping up, but are there any other walkable spd style shoes out there? Obviously Chrome makes some, are any of those ok? Any other shoes I should be looking into?

Looking for something basic that I could wear when I take my Vig out to the bars but still want to be able to walk around, maybe dance a bit if the occasion happens.

Old 07-26-15, 02:29 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I know everyone is riding the Giro Republics now since they keep popping up, but are there any other walkable spd style shoes out there? Obviously Chrome makes some, are any of those ok? Any other shoes I should be looking into?

Looking for something basic that I could wear when I take my Vig out to the bars but still want to be able to walk around, maybe dance a bit if the occasion happens.
I'm happy with my DZR Minnas. They are very walkable but plenty stiff when riding. Not sure if I'd want to dance in them though.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-26-15, 02:40 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
check out the chamber by giro, five ten has a bunch of clipless skate-ish shoes too

i dont have any experience with either but im considering these too, and the DZRs
Old 07-26-15, 04:35 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice, thanks guys!

Old 07-27-15, 12:42 AM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard chrome shoes flex like a plastic spoon and eventually tear after a while. I've heard good things about DZR though.
Old 07-27-15, 01:16 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thedapperest
I heard chrome shoes flex like a plastic spoon and eventually tear after a while. I've heard good things about DZR though.
Dzr shoes are awful, mine lasted three months before the velcro died and the sole ripped out. Chrome are me and never messed with ten high but I feel like all the "normal "bike shoes are destined to fail.

Im a fan of the Giro privateer but I'm not sure if you can cut a rug with those .
Old 07-27-15, 07:06 AM
SeeThruHead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will people laugh at me if I buy a Bombtrack Dash?
Old 07-27-15, 08:23 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thedapperest
Around 5000 kilometers randonneuring on a pair of Chrome Arnhems, almost no visible wear. A year and a half daily commuting and walking on a pair of Chrome Rivertons, almost no visible wear.

I only hope when when the day comes that these have to be replaced, Chrome's quality control is still as good.
Old 07-27-15, 08:25 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have a pair of Giro Republics now and some Chrome Tursk mids. Republics are stiffer but I can hear the cleat when I walk more than in the Chrome shoes. Chrome shoes are heavier but that is because they are mid so I cannot compare that aspect. I don't know about dancing in either but walking is not an issue.
Old 07-27-15, 08:33 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I currently have spd giro empire's that I'm using, they were the old ltd camo ones with the orange laces. I do just fine in them, but would like something a bit more nondescript at times. We do a bar hopping ride every Monday, and while most times I take my beater and wear normal shoes, other times I take my fixed and wear the giro's. It'd just be nice to have something that wasn't so obviously a mtb shoe.

They have some Chrome's on amazon for $70, I might jsut try those and if they're not my thing I can always send them back without a hassle.

Old 07-27-15, 08:37 AM
franswa

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
I also have the Republics and when I wanna go more casual I use my other Giros, the Rumble VRs. Always getting comments from people how they don't look anything like spd shoes and how good looking they are.

They come in black if the blue/gum isn't your thing. Way better than the Chrome variety. Breathable, rugged and stylish.
Old 07-27-15, 08:37 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I currently have spd giro empire's that I'm using, they were the old ltd camo ones with the orange laces. I do just fine in them, but would like something a bit more nondescript at times. We do a bar hopping ride every Monday, and while most times I take my beater and wear normal shoes, other times I take my fixed and wear the giro's. It'd just be nice to have something that wasn't so obviously a mtb shoe.

They have some Chrome's on amazon for $70, I might jsut try those and if they're not my thing I can always send them back without a hassle.
That is the same reason I opted for a non descript biking shoe. I do some social rides and most of the people there just wear normal clothes and shoes and don't use any pedal retention. I ride fixed so needed a shoe that looked "normal" yet still was SPD. Republics, while expensive, are really nice.
Old 07-27-15, 10:26 AM
n0mel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I use cassette cogs from my cyclocross to test what gear ratio works for me on my Kona Unit (single speed), or do I risk damaging the cog? I would try out a ratio e.g. on my work route (6 km), then buy a proper wide-base cog.
Old 07-27-15, 07:04 PM
skidow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just had a question, i wanted to know what frames are compatable with the sram omnium.
Old 07-27-15, 07:08 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidow
just had a question, i wanted to know what frames are compatable with the sram omnium.
It's more like; "what bottom brackets are compatible with SRAM Omnium cranksets?"
You'll need bottom brackets like these on the bike, which can be put on many bikes. That's a question of threading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ONECOL.jpg (24.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-27-15, 07:17 PM
skidow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it came with the BB but the crank arms hit the chainstay. i was wanting to put these on my throne frame (phantom) but the went south. just wanted to have options as far as frames go.
Old 07-27-15, 09:19 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is hit or miss. There are different variations of the same bike that differ we regard to whether they can take omniums, like the 2009 ftp. Most non aero tube bikes are okay.
Old 08-27-15, 12:15 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you guys have a good basket/rack recommendation? I'm thinking about putting risers on the steamroller, and having a basket/rack up front. I'm running a 120mm stem though, so would that complicate things at all?
Old 08-27-15, 01:29 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
Do you guys have a good basket/rack recommendation? I'm thinking about putting risers on the steamroller, and having a basket/rack up front. I'm running a 120mm stem though, so would that complicate things at all?
I use a Wald 135 grocery basket with my Steamroller's 90mm stem and I like it a lot, quite a lot. It is a little taller than I'd like, aesthetically, though the depth proves itself as extremely useful everyday. The 198 version has adjustable stays which might prove to assist in positioning while theoretically sacrificing stability.

I see the shallower Wald 137 basket around and admire its looks, though it would be too short for my needs.

I'm unsure as to what effects your 120mm stem would have on such a basket, though here is a picture of my Steamroller in its current state which might help the imagination:

Old 08-27-15, 01:48 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
generqlly speaking, you want your front load as behind the front hub as possible so it doesnt impact steering too drastically

that being said i have my rando bag plenty infront of my front hub w/ a 100mm stem and after an initial adjustment period i cant tell its any different now

swag rack = VO porteur rack
rack for weight = cetma
rack for random **** jingling around = wald ( @AristoNYC has the perfect one imo, but i dont remember the #)

Last edited by Mumonkan; 08-27-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 01:49 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, @ethet. Put some pics of your bike in the townies thread. It looks nice.
Old 08-27-15, 02:06 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome, @prooftheory. (I'm not too happy with all aspects of my bicycle at the moment, but once I feel better about it I'll be sure to add it. The townies thread is one of my favorites, it's nice/an honor to be invited to post there.)
Old 08-27-15, 02:57 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks @ethet and @Mumonkan

I really like the VO porteur rack, but I don't $150 like it.

AristoNYC has the 137, but I might just get the 3339 without the basket, and use a bungee net over the little rack. I don't really plan on carrying thaaaat much stuff with the rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.