Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 10:04 PM
livewirerc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rykoala: I dig the MTB, it's always cool to see someone with an unusual bike that has a distinct functional purpose. I love all the comments I get while riding mine, good or bad. Honestly the setup is perfect for me because aside from occasionally topping off the tires and lubing the chain I have no maintenance on this bike at all. No derailleurs to tune, the brakes don't have to be adjusted to hit the rims with the exception of the furthest gear extreme (in which case on the fixed side I just detach the brake), and I can still gear down for taking on big hills or doing some recreational trail riding. I'm all about low maintenence, and if this bike gives me another 10 minutes to sleep in I'll take it.

M_S: Sorry, it's a 54cm IRO Rob Roy under all that mess. It's their 4130 Cromoly single-speed cyclocross frame and I can't come up with enough great things to say about it. It has mounts for a rear rack and fenders, track dropouts (making tensioning a breeze), top-routed cables, takes 700x38c tires, and has enough bend in the fork and seat stays to make it absorb a bit of shock when taking it off-road. I have a Karate Monkey and a fixed gear Motobecane track bike and since I built this I've been riding it about 75% of the time.
I debadged it with a heatgun as the white logos didn't go with the superman color scheme I've got going on (it looks better with the bright red axiom bags in place), otherwise it'd have a bigass IRO down the downtube.
Old 06-29-07, 02:48 AM
mordecai84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I like those bikes!

Originally Posted by Tude
My commuter --- but here I was out playing in the snow this past winter.

Old 06-29-07, 12:59 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've been commuting on this for a couple months now, and I like it a lot. It has to fold up small because I take it on NJTransit and LIRR trains from New Jersey and Long Island, respectively, to my office in NYC.

It's mostly stock, except for fenders, seat and front hub. The hub is a Shimano Nexus, supposed to give 6 volts, but with the 16" wheels I get over 12 volts; so I'm using automotive bulbs. That makes for a lot of light, and probably some extra drag, but I don't mind. I had to get a bit innovative lacing up the wheel, as you'll see in the detail shot... and the wiring is a bit untidy, which I mean to work on at some point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1388s.jpg (89.0 KB, 191 views)
IMG_1389d.jpg (88.6 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-29-07, 07:55 PM
Joykachar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Bike

I think its great! Looks functional and gives me inspiration!
Old 06-30-07, 04:19 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a good pic of the flat bar with the mavics
Old 06-30-07, 09:17 AM
Thomasdregos

Bikes: Sears mountain bike, Nishiki Meridian hybrid, Schwinn CrossFit hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An old Schwinn Crossfit. My bike budget is taken from what did not go in the gas tank this week! I run about 12 miles one way.
Attached Images
MyBike1.jpg (49.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-02-07, 12:43 AM
bwbass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brodie Ocho

My new Bodie Ocho with Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal hub and discs.

More Pictures

Shown freshly de-bugged after driving it from Oakland, CA (the Tip-Top Bike Shop) to Olympia, WA.
Old 07-02-07, 04:02 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^Looks great! Let us know how it rides. Gonna do fenders and a rack?
Old 07-02-07, 08:23 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakland to Olympia .... I thought 5 miles to school was tough!

Billy
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-02-07, 10:41 AM
Robbie Hatfield
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't my exact bike, but it's 99% the same...

I have a 13 mile one way commute and I average 22mph for the 26mile round trip. ebikes rule!

Robbie
Old 07-03-07, 08:02 AM
Miiike
Ballin' Member

Bikes: Late 80's Raleigh Grand Prix Fixed, IRO Jamie Roy en route

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys!

i've been reading the forum here for a few months now, mostly at work. I have a very short urban commute to Downtown Crossing in Boston, and I just bought myself a new bike for the ride. My old one was was a pretty haggard conversion, but I've recently gotten into riding a fixed, and use it for my commute starting 3 weeks ago. Here it is...

I'm gonna hopefully be getting some new tires and a new saddle in the near future. Pictured is how i bought it.

I love the low maintenance, and how the ride wakes me up in a way that the conversion doesn't. That being said, I'm probably going to join in on the fun here.
Old 07-03-07, 09:52 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nice! Another fixed commuter!
Old 07-03-07, 05:07 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that I've added fenders and then painted those fenders, I need to post a new/updated pic. My bike is a maroon/dark red, but the paint I used on the fenders didn't quite come out as dark as I'd hoped, so its pretty ugly. Oh well...makes it less appealing to a thief.
Old 07-04-07, 10:04 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy, Mirage version.

531 frame resprayed from the disgusting blue and pink
Milremo 36 spoke rims with Shimano Crane (dura ace) hubs
Brooks B5N saddle
Mix of Weinmann, Campag, Suntour, Sugino components

https://picasaweb.google.com/samuelpr...75636437848466

Last edited by samsmeg; 07-04-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-04-07, 01:20 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! That thing is gorgeous. I tried to post the pic for you here, but somehow, I couldn't.

I have a similar vintage Galaxy which I'm converting to a lightweight 3 speed. It's getting aluminium cranks, I've got a set of alloy rimmed Sturmey Archer 3 speed wheels, bluemels plastic mudguards with a chrome-effect stripe, a Brooks saddle, and flat bars. It's gonna look great, and I'll post a pic, when Photobucket starts working again.

Old 07-04-07, 01:38 PM
doktoravalanche

Bikes: Frankenhinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil Fraedrich
Sweet looking rig, how does it ride????
Kind of like how it looks - a cross between a BMX and a road bike. Pretty fast, very nippy, and the only thing i'd say is wrong with it, is that encourages me to throw it around, so kerbs, banks and speedbumps don't tend to make me slow down much... I can hear people making various "holy **** look at that bike!" noises when going downhill at 35mph in traffic, which is always fun...
Old 07-04-07, 02:42 PM
livewirerc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Nice! Another fixed commuter!
Less things to monkey with for my ride to and from. My commute is flat enough that I can power up the couple hills on my way and maintain a pretty good speed the entire route. I've been dealing with the rain recently and besides the occasional re-lube I haven't had to do anything to my bike. Fixed commuting is where it's at, and it'll wake you up as quick as coffee.
Old 07-05-07, 01:00 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my Galaxy:

Old 07-05-07, 08:59 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
RHM.
that lacing is really interesting.

Couldn't find short enough spokes?
Tell me more about it.

CE
I got the idea from this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=snowflake

I only twisted mine halfway, though. My spokes were long enough that I could have twisted them the whole way, and maybe I should have done that... but this seems to work. And yes, I did this because my spokes were a little too long for a conventional lacing. I could have found shorter spokes, or had my lbs make them, but I already had these (they came on the bike), so I figured I'd give it a try. I laced them all to the outside of the flange to spread the load around a little bit; I don't know if it'll really do that, of course. So far so good, but after only 300 miles, it's a little premature to say it's a success. Remind me in a year or two, and I'll tell you how it holds up.
Old 07-05-07, 10:49 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Here's my Galaxy:

Nice ride - Is it just the photo angle, or is the seat tilted down a lot in the front? Actually - I'm guessing it's a work in progress since I see what appears to be a loose cable and a lack of pedals.
Does the light work? I don't see a power source.

EDIT: Upon further examination I see that it's gotta be a work in progress - it has no chain either. Is it going to be a fixed, or are you going to put a derailleur on there?
Old 07-05-07, 12:15 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep forgetting to post pics of the other bike I commute on. The lady and I work at the same place but we work different shifts and in different departments. I work midnights and she works days. I ride everyday but when she works she drives. Monthly staff meetings are a different story though. We either ride the tandem, or our own bikes. So since they are both used to commute sometimes, I'll post pics. Not sure where the CD with the pics of the tandem is so I guess I'll just post her bike. I spent a total of $9 on her bike including the North Road bars, and horn.
Attached Images
Bri'sbike.jpg (88.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-06-07, 07:52 AM
Mazaev

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though I'd post an updated pic of the Silhouette. It got itself a new rack and a set of panniers recently, which have been a revelation in bike usefulness, as well as a B-17 and a set of SKS fenders. A pleasure to ride to work now. Only thing that annoys me are the Shimano r-500 wheels which need trueing often, but they will eventually be replaced with the Aksiums once I get some new wheels for the roadie. Also, and most importantly, the stem has been flipped.

Last edited by Mazaev; 07-07-07 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-06-07, 09:41 AM
livewirerc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like that Silhouette! I've got the red version of those bags for my commuter (previous page) and I'll never go back to a backpack again. Lower center of gravity and better visibility over my shoulder trump sweaty back for me, and that's reason alone to switch to panniers here in Texas. I'm also rather enamored with those air horns. A friend of mine has one and I'm thinking of adding a second bottle cage so I can carry one too. Very handy.
Old 07-06-07, 02:23 PM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my main commute bike, although since it doesn't have the clearances for fenders I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. It's a Raleigh Supercourse (not the vintage line called Supercourse, but a newer line). It fits me really well, and I love riding it, but I'm working on converting an 80s Peugeot Iseran into an all-weather commute bike (I'll post a photo of that bike later).
Attached Images
raleigh.JPG (66.1 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by larryfeltonj; 07-06-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 03:48 PM
Mazaev

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livewirerc
I really like that Silhouette! I've got the red version of those bags for my commuter (previous page) and I'll never go back to a backpack again. Lower center of gravity and better visibility over my shoulder trump sweaty back for me, and that's reason alone to switch to panniers here in Texas. I'm also rather enamored with those air horns. A friend of mine has one and I'm thinking of adding a second bottle cage so I can carry one too. Very handy.
Thanks . Those panniers are monsters size-wise. I can fit 2 grocery bag's worth in each one and routinely take the bike shopping now. My messenger bag has been gathering dust ever since I got 'em. They do, along with the rack, add quite a bit of weight, but I can still find myself churning at more then a decent pace. They also feel stable and give a look of purpose which seems to resonate somewhat with cars on the road.

Also, I've lost count of how many times that Air Zound turned what could've been really bad situation to my favor. Drivers hear it and STOP and look. It has saved me from some really close calls. Never mind the occasional pedestrian on the Brooklyn Bridge that won't respond to the nice bell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.