Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 08:53 PM
GoMtnBiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is bigger than what I have ever had but I had a Retul fitting prior and was advised on this size. So stem seems short and post low, but it fits.
Old 02-01-18, 09:16 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Allied is hot. Line up the rear tire label with the valve for extra peppers.
Old 02-01-18, 09:27 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GoMtnBiking
OK. I am new here and it seems like a risky proposition to post in this thread but I will give it a shot. Now, I'm just a guy who likes riding bikes, nothing special, so take it easy!
those allied bikes have the most amazing paint job. very hot
Old 02-01-18, 09:32 PM
GoMtnBiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Allied is hot. Line up the rear tire label with the valve for extra peppers.
Thanks. Did not know about the lining up the tires thing, but will definitely pay attention to it when putting on tire in the future! Don’t have my bottle cage s on yet either. Have to get those on.

Last edited by GoMtnBiking; 02-02-18 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 09:35 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
OK. I am new here and it seems like a risky proposition to post in this thread but I will give it a shot. Now, I'm just a guy who likes riding bikes, nothing special, so take it easy!
I can respect the retul fitting. Seems like a reasonable saddle to stem drop for a big frame. It’s a nice bike, really nice in fact, but something is holding me back from a hot. Even though I generally really like the white tape and bar, perhaps it’s the size of bike and amount of darker paint that’s making the contrasting white seem out of place...dunno but kudos on an incredibly well thought out and set up bike!

By the way, enjoy those s works tires, they’re awesome!
Old 02-02-18, 05:33 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you're either very lucky or you're being disingenuous. That's not a bike you just happen to get when you're out and about looking for something to ride.
Classy hot. Not assertive, but definitely holds its own.
Old 02-02-18, 07:31 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I can respect the retul fitting. Seems like a reasonable saddle to stem drop for a big frame. It’s a nice bike, really nice in fact, but something is holding me back from a hot. Even though I generally really like the white tape and bar, perhaps it’s the size of bike and amount of darker paint that’s making the contrasting white seem out of place...dunno but kudos on an incredibly well thought out and set up bike!

By the way, enjoy those s works tires, they’re awesome!
For me it is the levers pointed at the sky. Otherwise, a beautiful bike.
Old 02-02-18, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This bike is worth reposting.

I would replace the saddle and tape with black.

What kind of bar is that?

-Tim-

Old 02-02-18, 07:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Thanks. Did not know about the lining up the tires thing, but will definitely pay attention to it when putting on tire in the future!
More than internet hot points, lining them up makes it easier to find where the tire was punctured, in the event of a flat, so that you can hunt down whatever caused the flat and ensure that it doesn't pop your replacement tube.

Sweet bike - the first Allied that we've seen in the thread, that I'm aware of.
Old 02-02-18, 08:07 AM
GoMtnBiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This bike is worth reposting.

I would replace the saddle and tape with black.

What kind of bar is that?

-Tim-
The white is one thing I really debated. I thought black would probably fit the bike better but I like white and wanted it to look a little different from other blackish bikes, so I took a chance on the white.

I also don’t know about the bars. I wasn’t sure if they would fit the look of the bike or not. Still don’t know, but I think they probably don’t match the bike well. They are 3T team stealth.

Thanks for the comments all. And yes, wish the hoods were lower.

Last edited by GoMtnBiking; 02-02-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 08:38 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Allied is a great looking bike! If I'm nit picking, I don't care for the angle and placement where some of the cable housings enter and exit the frame. Specifically the rear derailleur. The cable comes out of the chain stay very far forward and at an odd angle. Don't get me wrong though, I would still take this bike in a heartbeat!
Old 02-02-18, 11:13 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Hot, but I may have gone with black cable housing.
Old 02-02-18, 11:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm going to give up wanting that bike for lent.

-Tim-
Old 02-02-18, 12:54 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is my first post in this forum. Been an admirer for a long time, but never had a bike I thought could realistically be worthy of a hot. Comfy, fun to ride, pretty good looking, yes, but not 'HOT.'

That, I think, changed with this build. Two pics, neither perfect staging. The first is in the wrong ring, the cranks are at the wrong position. The second is better there, but the background is busy. Oh well, it's what I have.

Frame - 94 Colorado TG (Columbus tubing for Serotta. Frame was factory refurbed in 2011 before they went under, carbon fork added then per the gentleman I bought the frame from.)
Wheels - 2010 Zipp 404s (not firecrest, AL brake track)
Group - 105 5600
Selle Italia saddle, Easton bars, Fizik tape.
Pedals are special edition shimano MTB with a white spindle. I'm hoping the matchy matchy helps cancel out the fact that they aint road pedals (all my rides have 2 bolt style pedals.)
Stem is a threadless adapter, the stem is actually a -6 degree stem but the adapter has it looking like it points a little upwards.

Also one caveat - I did this entire build frame up for less than 800 bones. For a budget bike I think it's sexy as hell.

Have at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0953.JPG (124.7 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0960.JPG (159.0 KB, 470 views)
Old 02-02-18, 01:15 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Mindcrime
This is my first post in this forum. Been an admirer for a long time, but never had a bike I thought could realistically be worthy of a hot. Comfy, fun to ride, pretty good looking, yes, but not 'HOT.'

That, I think, changed with this build. Two pics, neither perfect staging. The first is in the wrong ring, the cranks are at the wrong position. The second is better there, but the background is busy. Oh well, it's what I have.

Frame - 94 Colorado TG (Columbus tubing for Serotta. Frame was factory refurbed in 2011 before they went under, carbon fork added then per the gentleman I bought the frame from.)
Wheels - 2010 Zipp 404s (not firecrest, AL brake track)
Group - 105 5600
Selle Italia saddle, Easton bars, Fizik tape.
Pedals are special edition shimano MTB with a white spindle. I'm hoping the matchy matchy helps cancel out the fact that they aint road pedals (all my rides have 2 bolt style pedals.)
Stem is a threadless adapter, the stem is actually a -6 degree stem but the adapter has it looking like it points a little upwards.

Also one caveat - I did this entire build frame up for less than 800 bones. For a budget bike I think it's sexy as hell.

Have at it!
It's always a downer that large framed bikes just don't seem to get a lot of hot's, and I think that's partially the case here. Personally I would call it hot if only it was a smaller frame that looked in proportion with the rest of the parts.

Either way, I'll still say that this can easily be a hot bike, need to put black tape on the bars, rotate them down a bit at least for the photo. Maybe ditch the Zipp decals if you feel like it, can replace them with a couple of ghost decals if available (but no more than two in my humble opinion. Otherwise it's a damn fine bike and I'll bet it rides beautifully!
Old 02-03-18, 05:09 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, apologies for the background and angle, but all the "proper" photos I attempted came out like crap. Somehow the camera on the phone managed to get the bike out of focus in the outdoor shots taken on the shady side of the building. - low light meant low resolution, flash made just as big a mess of things, and no amount of adjustments/color cast removal could make the colors even half realistic. Perhaps I shouldn't be so eager to post until I get a better photo, but I can't help it. Besides, all the salient features* are apparent.

Wheels are second hand (very lightly used, and with fresh tires), everything else is new, but because it's a 3-year old style and I was modest with the gruppo, I managed to put it together for about half what it would have cost when I first fell in love with this model. It's not quite the sandbagger I'd expected it to be; once I add a computer, it won't be 'underweight' any more. As shown: 6.79kg.

Ride your dream, indeed....

edit add: oh, and sorry it's not as hot or sweet as the last couple of submissions.
* for those who care about specs: wheels are Stinger 3 tubular w/ 25mm Vittoria Pave CG; gruppo is a mix 'n' match of Chorus FD and chain + non-series 11-28 cassette + Athena alloy shifters, RD, and CF 52/36 chainset + Potenza calipers; seatpost stem and bars are Deda Superleggera(o); Saddle is SMP Composit in "vintage leather;" tape is Brooks leather; pedals are Time Xpresso 10; and cages are Elite. The leather pieces, and the FD and chain rings turned out to be fortuitous matches.

Last edited by kbarch; 02-03-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 10:35 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Hot, but I may have gone with black cable housing.
And black saddle and tape. I love white bar tap and saddles but the bike needs to be a light color or have white somewhere else to pull it off. The little white logo is just not enough with all he black and dark red.
Old 02-04-18, 10:45 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mindcrime

Have at it!
For what you paid and use it for, not bad. The MTB pedals would go over better if you said this was a bad weather/commuter/backup bike.
Old 02-04-18, 11:44 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
This is awesome. The classic lines of the Soudal Ridleys have been my favourite pro bike for a few years now, and the silver Campag stuff are my "want" group over any of the black. My only quibble would be that I don't personally like those pointy-downy saddles, but I'll never question what another rider wants under their undercarriage.

This doesn't so much get a "HOT" from me, as a "This thread is over, everybody else needs to start a new one, because kbarch has won, and the rest is just metal and carbon and noise."
Old 02-05-18, 12:03 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
This doesn't so much get a "HOT" from me, as a "This thread is over, everybody else needs to start a new one, because kbarch has won, and the rest is just metal and carbon and noise."
It’s a nice bike but it’s not that hot. The saddle and bar tape are a different red than the frame and HED wheels? Well HED wheels...
Old 02-05-18, 04:22 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6.5/10

frame is very nice in isolation.... but larger frames generally arent proportioned well.

add a stubby stem on top of it... and awkward bar shape and shifter placement... and its not best overall look
Old 02-05-18, 05:30 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leinster
This is awesome. The classic lines of the Soudal Ridleys have been my favourite pro bike for a few years now, and the silver Campag stuff are my "want" group over any of the black. ...
You're far too kind. I fell in love with this model when watching the Giro in '15. I couldn't help but think: how come that team is the only one with a good looking bike? It's funny that way. On the page, in isolation, it doesn't look so unusual - especially for someone who hadn't developed a keen eye for bike designs. But the slim tubes combined with the bold yet modestly retro graphics made it really stand out from the rest of the peloton. To my eye, at least, it was the one bit of harmony in a sea of static and noise, like you say.
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
It’s a nice bike but it’s not that hot. The saddle and bar tape are a different red than the frame and HED wheels? Well HED wheels...
Actually, the saddle and bar tape are brown; leather. I hope that's OK - certainly wouldn't want to try to get scarlet leather to match the paint. And yeah, the wheels could be better looking. I wanted to remove the decals, but the seller forgot (and meanwhile wasn't too neat with the glue, either), and I don't own a hair dryer, so.... At least they're low profile, and I'm not riding around on really BIG, ugly HEDs. Probably should get some box rim clinchers if I want to take it out for just riding around much....
Old 02-05-18, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
It’s a nice bike but it’s not that hot.
+1 "thread's over, too hot" is crazy talk.
Old 02-05-18, 07:14 AM
robbyville

Love the hot Ridley, better pics soon please
Old 02-05-18, 08:21 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Actually, the saddle and bar tape are brown; leather.
Velominati ? The Rules

That is then a violation of rule #8 which is an immediate disqualification for thread ending hot. You can only have a brown saddle and bars if there is brown on the frame. Sorry man, but I didn't make the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.