Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Land Run 100

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 01:55 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I can't attest for what was going through the riders mind but, she is a professional on the Panaracer Gravel Team and she was leading at the time.

Professionals tend to do and push themselves in ways others don't. Sometimes, they might not even make wise decisions.
Old 04-03-18, 02:46 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Ah, the old "I can't actually respond to the argument so I'll just deflect and obfuscate" tactic. You should consider politics.

Just calling out a keyboard cowboy for being a keyboard cowboy.

"That woman" is Kae Take****a, she's a fairly accomplished CX and gravel racer and if you'd google her name and take a glance at her palmares you'd probably find she's podiumed in more races than you've started. Which at this point we have to assume is zero.

And you said everyone else was just lemmings bowing in to peer pressure, so your attempts to walk it back now are disingenuous, at best.
Man, you are making the argument personal and I don't really understand why. What Abe's experience on the bike is just not pertinent to the picture and caption that he is commenting on. I'm going to quote the facebook post where all the hubub started from just because it seems some have forgotten or didn't read it to begin with.

Everyone please say a prayer for team rider Kae Take****a. She raced the Land Run 100 with the team today in exceptionally brutal cold and wet conditions she was in the lead with 10 miles to go and was going into hypothermia and shock but would not quit. She hit the city limits and was in town but dazed and confused and rode around in circles for 30 minutes trying to find the finish line. She found the course and only a few blocks away but was repeatedly falling off her bike. She then proceeded to walk her bike to the finish but collapsed and had to be rescued by EMS at 12th and Husband. She was still in 2nd place at the time. She has been transported to Stillwater Medical Center and is in stable condition.
Kae, you are a Samurai Warrior! We love you and your determination is equaled by none!!!!!!!
And frankly, I'm on Abe's side here. That doesn't show determination but bad decision making all around from the rider through to the organizer...frankly, it really shouldn't be celebrated as something good to be looked up to.
Old 04-03-18, 03:04 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
He's the one who made it personal. Read the thread again.
Old 04-03-18, 04:04 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Try again.

I DID reread the whole thread (or at least my posts). And the quote of mine below was the closest I could find to something resembling a personal attack. And frankly, I don't think it qualifies. I DO still think it is accurate.

If this is what you're referring to...you just need to get a little bit thicker skin. If it's not, I'd be genuinely curious to see what it is you're upset about.

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Well, lets calm down and perhaps talk about what might lead to hundreds of people being so il-prepared.

Was it maybe, just maybe, a culture of trying to be tougher than the next guy? I mean, linemen in the NFL don't go without sleeves in the middle of winter because it's more comfortable. They do it because they don't want to be perceived as weak.

So sure...when there's hundreds of people that decide to go biking in 35 degree rain without a hat or pants, sure I think a logical question might be something along the lines of: "WTF happened to your pants?" At least it's as relevant a line of thinking as "who knew freezing rain could be so cold?"

And no, I'm not perfect. I've made dozens, heck hundreds of clothing mistakes. But that's what they are/were: mistakes. Leaving the house too fast without a hat, or leaving a jacket because I thought it was warmer than it really was WAS a mistake. Something that happens a minority of the time. When everyone does it, it's a culture thing.
Old 04-03-18, 04:06 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
fast doesn't make a guy/gal smart.

dress for the weather!

you can post as many fast rides as you want, and that will never prove that you are 'smart'. It just proves that you're ONLY "fast", NOTHING MORE THAN FAST!

Last edited by Metieval; 04-04-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 06:25 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
LOL

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...50456574981266

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 04-04-18, 08:13 AM