Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 09:31 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Also, it would be nice if the AJAX were hosted locally as opposed to via ajax.googleapis.com. I'd prefer not to be tracked around the web.
Old 05-11-18, 09:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Because it causes inconvenience to many people. Bear in mind, most people don't have the savvy or inclination to change any settings in anything digital they use. They accept the defaults, often unknowingly. I'm an IT person, and I know what typical behavior is. Describe the procedure, and people's eyes glaze over. Most people don't get as far as hearing the problem description or the procedure, so by leaving the default a bad one, we are inconveniencing the majority of the people. This infinite scrolling feature is a bad one, and the default is worse.
This is like pulling teeth.. What about Infinite Scrolling is "bad"? What about infinite scrolling is causing inconvenience? This is what I'm asking. I haven't discovered any downside for myself, hence the question.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-11-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-11-18, 09:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is like pulling teeth.. What about Infinite Scrolling is "bad"? What about infinite scrolling is causing inconvenience? This is what I'm asking. I haven't discovered any downside for myself, hence the question.
Unexpected behavior.

Twitter does it...and it sucks there, too.

Pagination = good
Infinite scrolling = bad

A great example of pagination is Amazon:

Old 05-11-18, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
There are special links at the tops of all the pages. I want to reach them quickly by hitting the Home key. Instead of reaching the top, I get more posts above where I'm looking. I have to wait for the images to load, images I'm not interested in seeing. I don't know how many times I have to hit Home before I really hit the top, and each time, I have to wait. Now why would I be happy about that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-18, 09:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by carleton
Unexpected behavior.

Twitter does it...and it sucks there, too.

Pagination = good
Infinite scrolling = bad

A great example of pagination is Amazon:
Sorry.. and I'm really not trying to be argumentative or dismissing anyone else's opinions, but I'm still not getting it. What unexpected behavior? Why is pagination good?
eg. With infinite, getting from eg. the top post of a page, to the post or two that just preceded it is much easier than with pagination.
Old 05-11-18, 10:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
You can turn off IS in your CP.
Thread dates is being worked on.

Thanks
Something you might want to take a look at (or it might be me being the only one with the problem) is, when I come to this site after having been quoted, I see the notification telling me I've been quoted. When I click on the link for new quotes, it takes me to my user profile page and no longer says I have any new quotes. If I click on the link in my e-mail it takes me directly to the quote as it always used to.
Old 05-11-18, 10:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noglider
There are special links at the tops of all the pages. I want to reach them quickly by hitting the Home key. Instead of reaching the top, I get more posts above where I'm looking. I have to wait for the images to load, images I'm not interested in seeing. I don't know how many times I have to hit Home before I really hit the top, and each time, I have to wait. Now why would I be happy about that?
I won't dispute what you're saying, but I'm not clear what you're saying. Regardless, should everyone in this thread instead of saying to turn of IS, be spelling out what they'd want improved with it? ie., here's what your post looks like on my screen -- what links do I not have access to?
Old 05-11-18, 10:08 AM
carleton
Elitist

I won't dispute what you're saying, but I'm not clear what you're saying. Regardless, should everyone in this thread instead of saying to turn of IS, be spelling out what they'd want improved with it? ie., here's what your post looks like on my screen -- what links do I not have access to?

When To Use Infinite Scrolling/Pagination?

There are only a few instances where infinite scrolling is effective. It’s best suited for sites and apps that are streams of user-generated content (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram). Pagination, on the other hand, is well-suited for goal-oriented sites and apps.

Google experience is a good illustration for this point. Google Images uses infinite scroll because users are able to scan and process images much more quickly than text. Reading a search result takes much longer. This is the reason why their Google Search results still use the more traditional pagination technique.
https://uxplanet.org/ux-infinite-scr...n-1030d29376f1

Which Option is Best?

As mentioned earlier, the infinite scrolling vs. pagination debate is quite heated in the web development world. In reality, the answer of “which is best,” will vary from website to website. On a page that is highly-visual, perhaps infinite scrolling would be a good choice since users will not get to view as many results at one time. However, if you are truly struggling with the decision, it is important to remember that pagination is always a good “universal” option, and it’s hard to go wrong choosing to go this route.
https://mediaboom.com/news/paginatio...ng-comparison/

Conclusion: Infinite scrolling may seem like an elegant replacement for pagination. However, it’s not the answer for most websites. Infinite scrolling is probably not for you if site visitors want to achieve goal-oriented activities, such as when they need to backtrack or find specific information quickly.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/infinite-scrolling/

More reading: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pagination...&t=ffsb&ia=web
Old 05-11-18, 10:15 AM
carleton
Elitist

I believe that the overall uneasiness that some feel is the loss of control or the sense that it is never ending. The scroll bar means nothing now. Think of how often you glance at a scroll bar when viewing content on the web (e.g. news article or blog post).

Recall when the Kindle first launched 11 years ago. It was amazing...but initially people felt uneasy about it compared to books. No one knew why. "Books are better!".

Then someone realized that with a book, you have a sense of where you are in the story by observing how many pages you've read vs how many are left in the book. Just looking at 30, 20, 10 pages left creates a sense of excitement and/or that if impending completion and whatnot. But, with the new digital format, there was no sense of where you were in the story.

So what happened? Amazon added a scroll bar and % meter. "Page x of y" is irrelevant, so they use a measure called "location":

Old 05-11-18, 10:32 AM
himespau 

I think he's saying that he'd like to be able to access links like the UserCP and NewPosts that are only there when you scroll all the way up to the top and doesn't want to have to scroll that far through massively long threads. I get that, but I don't like having to turn pages to load new things either, so, for the way I use BF, it's about a wash.
Old 05-11-18, 10:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by himespau
I think he's saying that he'd like to be able to access links like the UserCP and NewPosts that are only there when you scroll all the way up to the top and doesn't want to have to scroll that far through massively long threads. I get that, but I don't like having to turn pages to load new things either, so, for the way I use BF, it's about a wash.
Ok, though don't you get all the way to the top by just hitting the "<<FIRST" button (which shows in the bottom of the screenshot I posted)?

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-11-18 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-11-18, 11:00 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I believe that the overall uneasiness that some feel is the loss of control or the sense that it is never ending. The scroll bar means nothing now. Think of how often you glance at a scroll bar when viewing content on the web (e.g. news article or blog post).

Recall when the Kindle first launched 11 years ago. It was amazing...but initially people felt uneasy about it compared to books. No one knew why. "Books are better!".

Then someone realized that with a book, you have a sense of where you are in the story by observing how many pages you've read vs how many are left in the book. Just looking at 30, 20, 10 pages left creates a sense of excitement and/or that if impending completion and whatnot. But, with the new digital format, there was no sense of where you were in the story.

So what happened? Amazon added a scroll bar and % meter. "Page x of y" is irrelevant, so they use a measure called "location":

I don't read books either.
Old 05-11-18, 11:03 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
seems like any progress to fix things has stopped.

1. I get quote notifications but can't see them when I click
2. Mentions just show a blank for the user name
3. No origination date for the thread
4. The mobile view fonts and color are too ugly to use.
Old 05-11-18, 11:33 AM
carleton
Elitist

Not exactly.

Even if I'm not looking to click something in the header (or footer) I don't like infinite scrolling.

It's "neat" at best...like flaming, spinning logos on "intro" pages to websites from the 1990s. Neat during a product demo. Sucks to use all day.
Old 05-11-18, 12:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jimincalif
seems like any progress to fix things has stopped.

1. I get quote notifications but can't see them when I click
2. Mentions just show a blank for the user name
3. No origination date for the thread
4. The mobile view fonts and color are too ugly to use.
Don't give up hope.

I'm not familiar with how IB/BF rolls out their software. But the general way things go are:

1) Gather requirements.
2) Prioritize features.
3) Select features.
4) Build features.
5) Test, test, test features
6) Fix whatever issues that come from testing.
7) Roll out features.
8) Triage bugs.
9) Immediately address any high priority bugs as "hot fixes" for the things that slipped through testing. This is probably why @IBThomas was replying on the weekend with fixes.
10) All other bugs, requests, and new features are put into a backlog.
11) Rinse. Repeat.

We are likely in step #10 right now. Fixes will likely come on a 2 week cadence going forward, assuming they roll out changes in 2 week sprints.

Congratulations!!! If you read and understood some of that, you are now an Agile Project Manager!!
Old 05-11-18, 12:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Not exactly.

Even if I'm not looking to click something in the header (or footer) I don't like infinite scrolling.

It's "neat" at best...like flaming, spinning logos on "intro" pages to websites from the 1990s. Neat during a product demo. Sucks to use all day.
Are you speaking for No Glider's reason? He didn't mention the same things you're mentioning. You seem to imply its a psychological thing for some people who spend all day on a site. NoGlider seemed to indicate a loss of functionality. Maybe I'm weird, but I haven't felt uneasy using infinite scrolling (yet), nor really identified a functionality loss that's inherent to IS.
That said, I would like the BF folks to put a link to our "New Quotes" page permanently in the Quick Links menu (perhaps right under Subscribed threads); understanding that they may not always be technically "new", but rather a list of quotes in "newness" order.
Old 05-11-18, 12:17 PM
himespau 

I do get where you're coming from on this as I do like to know how much time left I have in something as to whether or not I'm going to keep reading it or not, but I often see a lot of pages (especially those that want to be "viral") putting in too frequent of paginations in there. I assume that they're doing it to get more non-unique page view (for whatever that's worth maybe it helps boost them somewhere or get more ad revenue) or show me more ads, but that just frustrates me and I leave.
Old 05-11-18, 12:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

Are you speaking for No Glider's reason? He didn't mention the same things you're mentioning. You seem to imply its a psychological thing for some people who spend all day on a site. NoGlider seemed to indicate a loss of functionality. Maybe I'm weird, but I haven't felt uneasy using infinite scrolling (yet), nor really identified a functionality loss that's inherent to IS.
That said, I would like the BF folks to put a link to our "New Quotes" page permanently in the Quick Links menu (perhaps right under Subscribed threads); understanding that they may not always be technically "new", but rather a list of quotes in "newness" order.
There are multiple reasons, not just one.

I do get where you're coming from on this as I do like to know how much time left I have in something as to whether or not I'm going to keep reading it or not, but I often see a lot of pages (especially those that want to be "viral") putting in too frequent of paginations in there. I assume that they're doing it to get more non-unique page view (for whatever that's worth maybe it helps boost them somewhere or get more ad revenue) or show me more ads, but that just frustrates me and I leave.
Yes, I agree. The "10 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT _______ THAT WILL SHOCK YOU!!!", with each thing on its own page is stupid and done for the reasons you state.

I'm not pushing for that.

I'm suggesting we go back to the way things were a couple of weeks ago. They got it right and now it's changed. You don't mess with the thing that worked. This is like Chick-fil-A changing their chicken sandwich. Or, ha, how Coke changed to New Coke in the 80s...we all know how that turned out. In an effort to be more like Pepsi and take some of Pepsi's customers, they made "New Coke" taste like Pepsi...and alienated their core customer base.
Old 05-11-18, 12:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

On a related note, R-e-d-d-i-t is going through this exact thing right now. They are redesinging the site and the core users (that made it the powerhouse site that it is now) are rejecting it...and management isn't listening.

Pay close attention. R-e-d-d-i-t is an internet darling that can be replaced within weeks. This is how they became famous in the first place when DIGG went under in 2010. All of the users migrated to ****** en masse.

EDIT: Still not sure why R-e-d-d-i-t is a censored word.
Old 05-11-18, 12:33 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Seems like patience is severely lacking in this instant gratification fueled, rough and tumble new frontier of social media, eh?

Last edited by FBOATSB; 05-11-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-18, 01:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
With all the problems, I have the impression that this new version was not tested much before it was deployed. I'm sorry if that seems disrespectful of all the work that people have done, but that's the appearance to me. Some of the bugs were very frequently used features, and a quick test would have exposed the problems.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-18, 06:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I would like to suggest that you pick any color but turquoise for highlights. Red or blue would be better.
Old 05-11-18, 07:53 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Bug/Feature? The top banner menu has a "Forums>" pulldown
Chrome Canary and Firefox desktop (granted I have canvas and Ghostery blocking running)

Expected behavior: Being able to browse the menu to get to subforums....

What is happening: it requires mouse clicks to open (a simple hover won't open it)....except said single mouse click opens a link to take you to the Forums list page....IOW you cannot browse to subforums via that list, only get to the Forums list page. Due to delay/lag I see that on click the menu opens and shows subforums--but at that point my browser is opening the aforesaid page.
Old 05-13-18, 09:03 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Don't know if everybody is having this problem. But I can't post from my flickr account using the Image. When I paste an url in the box it disappears. Am I doing something wrong?

Manually inserting the url tween image tags works. So not the end of the world but annoying.
Old 05-14-18, 10:50 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Edit: @LocoLobo thanks, I had the same problem. Will report.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.