Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Old 11-29-09, 10:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,461 Posts
yes that is what Tmar is saying. normally the model name on a Bianchi is on the forward end of the toptube. the limited was a the upper midlevel bike at the time and in the later 80 and early '90s was equipped with 600. however US bikes and bikes from other markets are different.

OH Tmar just when did Bill Graves buy the rights and create Bianchi USA? '84?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-29-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-29-09, 01:25 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OH Tmar just when did Bill Graves buy the rights and create Bianchi USA? '84?
I'm not 100% positive on this but my literature mentions Vespa of American for the 1984 models, with that reference disappearing for the 1985 lineup. While Bianchi USA is not specifically mentioned in 1985, it would seem to infer that the agreement transfering the distribution rights took place sometime during 1984, probably becoming effective in late 1984, for the introduction of the 1985 models.
Old 12-22-09, 06:48 PM
superseven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me find out a little more info about a Bianchi Axis, celeste green serial no. H9A70571. It has a 68 bb, Tange superset tubing. The Bianchi decals are Grey with a blue stripe. thanks
Old 12-22-09, 07:06 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hello I am pretty sure it is an '89. do you know what components are or were on it? can you post a pic?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-22-09, 07:30 PM
superseven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The components are
Sakae sx cranks, triple
Suntour xcd 6000 deraillers and shifters/
Dia compe brakes and levers
sorry i havent figured out the pic thing. I can PM it.
Old 12-22-09, 07:32 PM
superseven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can PM it if you give me ur email.
thanks
Old 01-03-10, 05:19 PM
bru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this thread in the midst of trying to date a Bianchi Volpe that I'm selling. Maybe I can help with some extra info.

Bottom Bracket SN# H9A4986

I have dated all of the components using Vintage Trek's information:
Suntour AT hubs - October 1988
Suntour XCE derailleurs - January 1988
Sakae SX crankset - January/March 1988 [Left and Right are different]
Diacompe canti brakes - July 1988

All of the components are consistent and easy to identify, and the latest date is October 1988. My Volpe is either a 1988, or early 1989 due to the late '88 hubs.
I presume them to all be original, mostly because the original plastic pedals were never even changed out.

Originally Posted by superseven
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me find out a little more info about a Bianchi Axis, celeste green serial no. H9A70571. It has a 68 bb, Tange superset tubing. The Bianchi decals are Grey with a blue stripe. thanks
Also, I just realized that our serials are almost exactly the same and I have the same grey/blue decals!!
Superseven, if you don't mind, try to date your components for us here - https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm
It may be a big help to know if your components date to 1989 or '88.
I have the same Superset Tange Cro-Mo tubing decal, with a "B" in the middle of the circle.

Does anyone know when Bianchi made frames in Italy/Japan/Taiwan? I found all of the Japanese catalogs here: https://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/my_bianchi/catalogs.htm
They have been made there previously, but the Volpe wasn't in any Japanese catalogs until 1993.

I'll post pictures later tonight when I get ready to put it on Craigslist.
Old 01-03-10, 05:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

bru please post some pics of your bike. while your frame may have the same decal as that Axis the frames are different. most all Bianchis from that period had that decal indicating the tubing was propriatery to Bianchi. what color is your Volpe? the Volpe had XCE for '89 / '90. the color, decals and cable routing wil determine the year. to the best of my knowledge all Volpes were made in the orient somewhere.

H9A70571. H9A4986 sort of close only about 65000 off.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-04-10, 03:13 AM
bru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I simply meant that the serials had the same first few characters and if Japanese, indicates the frames were probably from the same factory, although it doesn't seem like we really know the significance of some of the characters. I know they're very different frames to begin with.

Anyway, the Volpe is white, and I'll have pictures up tomorrow.
Old 01-04-10, 07:07 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bru
I simply meant that the serials had the same first few characters and if Japanese, indicates the frames were probably from the same factory, although it doesn't seem like we really know the significance of some of the characters. I know they're very different frames to begin with.

Anyway, the Volpe is white, and I'll have pictures up tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure that your bicycle is actually from Hodaka in Taiwan. I don't have a lot of Hodaka serial numbers in the data base, so while I can't back the statement with statistical confidence, the serial number format is very common and indicates it should be a January 1989 frame.

As you stated, both frames are from the same manufacturer and were in fact produced during the same month. 65,000 apart is fairly close when the annual capacity is over 1,000,000 bicycles.
Old 01-04-10, 07:41 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I am pretty sure it is an '89. white with XCE would point to that. I'll tell you more after I see the pics

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-04-10, 04:07 PM
bru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the crappy quality, my good camera is out of town with a roommate.

I bought this off of Craigslist to build up for touring and found a Fuji that I went with instead, so this is just like I bought it, gel seat and all

Old 01-04-10, 04:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

not bad looking. it certainly looks like am '89 you did say XCE derailleurs and shimano cantis? needs some elbow grease and maybe some wax.

the frame is Tange DB Chrome-moly (three main tubes and chainstays)in of course Superset design. incendently the extra brazeons on the side of the DT and ST (above the bottle bosses) are for a carrying strap.

I would clean and tune that then got to megalowmart and get a bottle/cage and a mini pump for about $20. then when the weather got nice I would ask.....

now that we have the vintage narrowed down we should try and move this to apprasial forum. however I would say that the value/asking price will be just about what you paid for it when you bought it.

the Volpe bikes are very underrated. they are neither road, touring, 'cross or ATB but designed to allow you do almost anything in moderation. I would not head out on MTB ride on my Volpe but if I was touring I could take a fire road detour if I wanted.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-04-10, 04:47 PM
bru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's one hell of a frame but I bought it for a girlfriend, so it's way too small for me :/
I saved it for a basement price from a hipster who almost made it a fixie. shame shame...
I'll make my money back and then some I hope.

So, back to serials...
H = factory (Honaka)
9 = year (1989)
A = month (January)
and the rest of the digits are just sequential bike #'s?

This is pretty typical for Japan and Taiwan serials right?
Old 01-04-10, 04:47 PM
bru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and they're Diacompe cantilevers
Old 01-04-10, 05:28 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OK a mild product change. that bike would make a bad fixie. the CSs are too long and I believe it has vertical dropouts yes? most ameteur "mechanics" do not seem to understand that a chain does not tension well with vert dropouts.

too bad she does not like it. I have not ridden them much but I love my "new to me" Volpe and Equinox

OH one more thing. after you clean this take some good pics from the drive side. a close up of the drivetrain, to show wear/any damage, the rims, and BB area. then post a thread in the appraisal forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SANY0178.jpg (102.8 KB, 600 views)
Fenders.jpg (102.1 KB, 599 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-04-10 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 02:39 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
I'll add mine to the mix:

It's serial no. is BOO 8557

I don't know the model, but it's got slightly oversized tubes which are ovalized at the BB. The original parts all seem to be 8 speed STI Dura-Ace. No tubing decals.

Anyone know the year or model?

It turns out that based on the components, my bike should be a 1991. I don't know if that helps the quest to figure out the numbering scheme, but it does help me ID the bike a bit. Now, does anyone have a 1991 catalog scan? I'm pretty curious to find out more info about the bike.
Old 01-15-10, 07:05 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by tashi
It turns out that based on the components, my bike should be a 1991. I don't know if that helps the quest to figure out the numbering scheme, but it does help me ID the bike a bit. Now, does anyone have a 1991 catalog scan? I'm pretty curious to find out more info about the bike.
Well, it's not a 1991, based on my catalogue. The decals are incorrect and Bianchi did not have a North American model with Dura-Ace that year. Here's the OP's pic to save others from a search.
Attached Images
BianchiRoadie2.jpg (92.2 KB, 620 views)
Old 01-15-10, 08:42 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I agree with T-Mar the decals are wrong for '91 and I do not recal any 'off the shelf' Bianchi with Dura Ace. sice you do not know the year I assume you bought this used? do you exactly which components are "orginal" and which are replacements? the wheels do not match neither do the brake calipers.

as for the frame while the decals look like the ones used from '92 onward for most bikes the full lenght brake cable housing makes the frame look older. then there is the whole thing about the DT looking oversized and ovalized at the BB. that agains leads me to think a '91 and newer frame with SuperSet 2 design.
the paint is not off the shelf either. it appears someone repainted the frame to look like a '88 Trofeo in the Argentin colors.

what is stamped in the staycaps? is this a US bike? where do you live, could this be from Canada? what markings are on the dropouts and forkends?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-10, 10:08 AM
T-Mar

Bianchigirll (BTW, why are there two "l"s?), by 1991 the Canadian and USA models had been consolidated. My 1991 Canadian catalogue appears to be the same the 1991 USA catalog. Perhaps it is from some other foreign market?

Given, that you suspect repainted stays and forks, and the majority of the decals are missing, it may be possible that the downtube decal is a replacement and maybe even the whole frame is a repaint. If I was asked to make a educated guess based on the serial number alone, I'd say it is an Italian model, based on the two distinct segments. My guess would be that B = Bianchi, O = fortnight and 0 = calendar year = 1990. So it's possible that this may be a 1991 model manufactured in late 1990. If I'm correct, this would seem to imply a foreign model, as the only domestic models that were probably made in Italy would have been the Proto and Pista, which it obviously is not.

I also noticed that, while it may use use a 1991 8 speed brifter set-up, the brakes are single pivot, meaning they are older. So, the components may not be original.

I'd be interested to know:

1. Is there an obvious difference between the 2nd and 3rd characters of the serial number (i.e. one an "oh" and the other a "zero")?

2. What size is the seat post?

3. If there are any ridges on the inside of the bottom of the fork's steerer tube? If so, how many are there, and are they straight or spiral ridges?

4. Are there any signs of underlying paint on the fork and, if so, what colour it is?
Old 01-15-10, 10:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

there are two "L"s because I need 2 to get my yahoo mail account. some witch beat me to bianchigirl with 1 L

that is true about a complete repaint. the toptube looks real flakey and scratched up so who knows. the only thing that has me wondering is the oversized and ovalized DT but that is a feature started in 1990. the '90 bikes apear to be the last with TT cable guides rather than split stops. the front brake looks like DP to me but hard to tell. I would like to see some better pics with close ups of the staycaps and dropouts.

OH I may have made a small error the '90 catalog shows the Proto with Dura Ace. however since that was a Reparto Corse bike it would have been shipped as frame and bike kit. it would have been unlikely to walk into a shop and see one 'on the shelf' also if you happen to have a '93 reparto corse catalog it shows lots of great bikes with DA. again these are sold as frame and kit so not exactly off the shelf.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-10, 01:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 626 Posts
I am trying to ID this Bianchi basketcase. I have already got the stuck seat post out, and I think the bike is rebuildable. It looks similar to the 1981 Nuovo Racing from the catalogs above, but the decals are wrong, the tubing decal is on the down tube, not the seat tube. Since the decal on the top tube states: "Nuova Racing", sounds like the model name on this one.

The components are pretty much a dead on match with the 1981 Nuovo Racing: Universal 77 brake calipers, Nuovo Record derailleurs and levers, Ofmega crankset, headset and bb, Mavic Module E rims, Superbe brake levers (hoods are long gone), etc. Unfortunately, the Campy derailleurs are in really rough shape, anything that is steel (springs and bolts) is really rusted up. The seat post just has the script G P near the top. No other markings. Made in Italy decal. I may have to put some Suntour Blueline components on it, as they are the closest I have in the bin.

Seat post is 27.2mm. Stem is Cinelli, bars are TTT.

I haven't found a serial number anywhere on this bike. Depending on how well the rebuild goes, this one could be a keeper. The next step is an oxalic bath.

As found:

Top tube model label:

Last edited by wrk101; 01-15-10 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 01:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

it is a mystry. I agree the specs look like a '82ish Nouvo Racing however the the decal style and the placement of the tubing decal look more like a '84ish. perhaps it is a replacement frame or a transition form one model year to another. too bad it is so small.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-15-10, 02:41 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Some details:

- This bike is at least second hand. It was a commuter/beater for the last owner so not much is known about it. It is in Canada, it came to me in Victoria by way of Courtney.

- I figure that the Dura-Ace is the original group as it has/had Dura-Ace rear d., cranks, front hub, STI levers, single-pivot brakes, headset, bar and stem. According to VeloBase the STI and single-pivots only overlapped for '91 so that led me to believe that it could be a '91.

- The paint and decals: The paint has that powdercoat look to it: thick, not so glossy, and chipped. There is a gold band about 1/4" wide painted at the junction between the black and celeste. There are no tubing or decals other than the downtube and headtube ones. There's a lot of things pointing to a repaint here.

Frame/fork: The down tube is oversized and ovalized horizontally at the BB. It makes for an ugly lug but probably helps keep the ride nice and firm:

Dropouts are Gipiemme, and have a fender mount for some reason:

Seat cluster is well, boring?

The fork is an ugly unicrown, black, nomarkings. I haven't looked for rifiling yet...

Sooo, assuming it astually is a Bianchi, it could be a 1990 Reparto Course frame (ovalized DT and full-length housing) with 1991 parts (assuming the DA group is original)?

Thanks for the input guys, you sure seem to know your Bianchis!

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Bianchigirll (BTW, why are there two "l"s?), by 1991 the Canadian and USA models had been consolidated. My 1991 Canadian catalogue appears to be the same the 1991 USA catalog. Perhaps it is from some other foreign market?

Given, that you suspect repainted stays and forks, and the majority of the decals are missing, it may be possible that the downtube decal is a replacement and maybe even the whole frame is a repaint. If I was asked to make a educated guess based on the serial number alone, I'd say it is an Italian model, based on the two distinct segments. My guess would be that B = Bianchi, O = fortnight and 0 = calendar year = 1990. So it's possible that this may be a 1991 model manufactured in late 1990. If I'm correct, this would seem to imply a foreign model, as the only domestic models that were probably made in Italy would have been the Proto and Pista, which it obviously is not.

I also noticed that, while it may use use a 1991 8 speed brifter set-up, the brakes are single pivot, meaning they are older. So, the components may not be original.

I'd be interested to know:

1. Is there an obvious difference between the 2nd and 3rd characters of the serial number (i.e. one an "oh" and the other a "zero")?

2. What size is the seat post?

3. If there are any ridges on the inside of the bottom of the fork's steerer tube? If so, how many are there, and are they straight or spiral ridges?

4. Are there any signs of underlying paint on the fork and, if so, what colour it is?

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
there are two "L"s because I need 2 to get my yahoo mail account. some witch beat me to bianchigirl with 1 L

that is true about a complete repaint. the toptube looks real flakey and scratched up so who knows. the only thing that has me wondering is the oversized and ovalized DT but that is a feature started in 1990. the '90 bikes apear to be the last with TT cable guides rather than split stops. the front brake looks like DP to me but hard to tell. I would like to see some better pics with close ups of the staycaps and dropouts.

OH I may have made a small error the '90 catalog shows the Proto with Dura Ace. however since that was a Reparto Corse bike it would have been shipped as frame and bike kit. it would have been unlikely to walk into a shop and see one 'on the shelf' also if you happen to have a '93 reparto corse catalog it shows lots of great bikes with DA. again these are sold as frame and kit so not exactly off the shelf.
Old 01-15-10, 03:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

suddenly I feel like "click" and "clack". those GPM dropouts really put things askew. but unlike the 'tappet' brothers I think I have a answer. although the brake cable routing still bothers me. how about a '92/93 SBX frame set. according the propaganda in the '93 Reparto Corse catalog SBX is a exclusive design Columbus tube set, for Bianchis SuperSet 2 frames. the oval DT at the BB shell being a big part of it. I don't rember seeing one of these outside the show.

there were lots of really nice frames from Bianchi in that era. they were trying real hard to get a realistic "race department" thing going by offering great frames and bike kits but it just didn't pan out. a big problem was alot of the kits had tubulars when everyone wanted clinchers on custome bikes.

BTW: just what is wrong with ovalized tubes?
Attached Images
P5220137.jpg (91.8 KB, 607 views)
BB top.jpg (93.8 KB, 579 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-15-10 at 03:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.