Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

mid 80s Tommasini Super Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 11:14 AM
bfromcolo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mid 80s Tommasini Super Prestige

I am getting the bug to buy a touring bike, but would likely have to sell my road bike first. I have a 85 - 87 (according to the factory) Tommasini Super Prestige. And I am wondering about its value in its current state.

Overall the bike is in good condition, normal wear for a 25 year old bike, the previous owner claimed to not ride it much. Paint is in good condition with some fading and a few nicks and scratches. There are 2 issues. There is a small ding on the head tube, this is cosmetic. The seat post is frozen, I have been through the entire Sheldon Brown list of tricks with out success, it happens to be stuck at the correct height for me so I have not resorted to the hacksaw method, but I think this is the only solution.

Some specifications:

63 CM frame size, measured center to top
Columbus SLX tubing
Tommasini AIR Fork (Columbus Foderi Laminati)
Shimano 600 8 speed group, gears, dérailleurs, brakes, hubs, headset.
Campy Omega 19 rims (front is very good, rear takes an occassional tweak to keep in true and has some wear on braking surface).
3 TTT stem
Modolo 8x Tenos handle bars
Flite Titanium Saddle
unknown micro adjustble seat post (scratched from attempts to remove and will likely be destroyed to remove)

Let me know if there is any additional information I can provide.

Pic of the bike:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Pic of the dinged head tube:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 05:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
very beautiful bike. too bad about the seatpost, that really hurts the value and the large frame may be another strike. lets hope you doppleganger (or however you spell that) is looking for a blue and white bike right now.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-02-10, 11:58 PM
bfromcolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
too bad about the seatpost, that really hurts the value
Guess I need to spend some more time working on the post then. I was able to get it to turn about 45 degrees in both directions, but not make any headway vertically it before I gave up.

The 600 group on it has 93-94 date codes, failed to mention that. All the parts are newer than the frame and fork. The original owner said he had it built by Colorado Cyclist in the mid 90s and the frame was unused stock at that time.

It's a really nice ride, if it's not sellable with a frozen seat post I guess I will just suffer and keep it.
Old 12-03-10, 12:05 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
Guess I need to spend some more time working on the post then. I was able to get it to turn about 45 degrees in both directions, but not make any headway vertically it before I gave up.

The 600 group on it has 93-94 date codes, failed to mention that. All the parts are newer than the frame and fork. The original owner said he had it built by Colorado Cyclist in the mid 90s and the frame was unused stock at that time.

It's a really nice ride, if it's not sellable with a frozen seat post I guess I will just suffer and keep it.
that is a very plausible story. i do know colorado cyclist dabbled in tommasinis in that era. i dont think they ever moved a ton of them and i recall them having a blowout sale in the mid-late 90s.
Old 12-03-10, 05:45 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts

Two items.

That is a beautiful Tommasini. I love these bikes, and this one, if a little smaller, would be purchased by me promptly.

Frozen seatposts are an absolute pain, but have you talked to a really good local shop? Especially a shop with a mechanic that's been around for a bit.

I have a guy here that pulled a rusted Campy post that I had given up on. Took half an hour, a bench vise, and a six pack.

.....and it certainly didn't rotate 45 degrees either direction.

Yours will come out eventually, but perhaps not in one big piece.

Also, there was a thread a couple years ago in which Old Fat Guy gave me some great tips about a frozen post in one of my Tommasinis.

In other words, you are hardly dead in the water. Do some additional research.

As for the ding in the head tube, I would have a builder look at it before I'd give it a clean bill of health.

While I like the Shimano 600 bits a great deal, it's almost like a throw in on that bike, as many folks will prefer to go their own route with a fresh gruppo.

Last edited by gomango; 12-03-10 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-03-10, 12:26 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
...The 600 group on it has 93-94 date codes, failed to mention that. All the parts are newer than the frame and fork. The original owner said he had it built by Colorado Cyclist in the mid 90s and the frame was unused stock at that time....Campy Omega 19 rims (front is very good, rear takes an occassional tweak to keep in true and has some wear on braking surface)....
I was going to say that 8 speed 600 Ultegra dates no earlier than 1992. The frame itself is no older than 1991. Don't you love it when the factory guys are out to lunch!

If the rear rim is constantly going out of true you may want to cartefully inspect the spoke holes. The Camapgnolo rims have a reputation for cracking at the spoke holes. When this happens, the spokes start to pull through and loose their tension. I've had to replace several Omega rims for this problem, including two of my own.
Old 12-03-10, 12:56 PM
bfromcolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The frame itself is no older than 1991.
I sent numerous pictures through someone named Tina at Tommasini for identification. They said it was manufactured between 85 - 87, after that I think they went from SLX to SPX for larger frame sizes. Why do you say its 91 or newer, and do you have some reference you can provide a link to?

I don't see any evidence of cracking in the rim eyelets. Two large wrestling dogs crashed into the bike when it was in the trainer and knocked it out of true, I was able to true it but had problems with uneven tension and it not holding true. I ended up completely detensioning the rim and replacing/lubing the nipples and bringing it back up to tension, and its held true for about 200 miles. Time will tell if its fixed I guess.

Last edited by bfromcolo; 12-03-10 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 01:23 PM
T-Mar

I sent numerous pictures through someone named Tina at Tommasini for identification. They said it was manufactured between 85 - 87, after that I think they went from SLX to SPX for larger frame sizes. Why do you say its 91 or newer, and do you have some reference you can provide a link to?...
First off, the the Columbus decals are the post 1987 versions, so it's not 85-87. Also, the livery is called Allesandro. It was introduced in 1990 but was only available in the purple and white version that year. The blue and white version was introduced in 1991.
Old 12-03-10, 04:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
That is a beautiful Tommasini. I love these bikes, and this one, if a little smaller, would be purchased by me promptly.
if this had been smaller I would have snatched it up.

what did you try on the seatpost? some guys here seem to have luck with removing the BB and pouring amoena down the seattube and letting it stand for awhile.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-03-10, 06:55 PM
bfromcolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
if this had been smaller I would have snatched it up.

what did you try on the seatpost? some guys here seem to have luck with removing the BB and pouring amoena down the seattube and letting it stand for awhile.
First I tried penetrating oil over a several day period, and I tried household ammonia again for few days. After destroying 2 saddles I managed to get it to turn about 45 degrees left and right, but I could not get it to move vertically. At this point the seat rail clamp on top of the seat post started turning. Since it fits me with the saddle thats attached I gave up.

Looking at Sheldon Brown's article again I did not try the dry ice approach. so I will do that this weekend. Unfortunately I am limited in the torque I can apply with the seat clamp twisting on the post. I'll have to drill a hole in the post and put a bolt through it to apply more torque at which point I would be fully committed to removal and replacement, since it would probably no longer be safe to ride.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Old 12-03-10, 10:54 PM
gomango

First off, the the Columbus decals are the post 1987 versions, so it's not 85-87. Also, the livery is called Allesandro. It was introduced in 1990 but was only available in the purple and white version that year. The blue and white version was introduced in 1991.
Tommasini identified my Sintesi as a 1991.

The bike has been rebuilt twice since I purchased her.

I'm rebuilding her this winter with 2009 Centaur, and a Record crank for good measure.

Then I'll just leave well enough alone, and enjoy her.

To the op, yours is such a beauty. Why don't you just set her aside after you get the seat post out, and save her for a rainy day?

You might fall in love all over again.
Old 12-04-10, 12:19 AM
bfromcolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Why don't you just set her aside after you get the seat post out, and save her for a rainy day?[/QUOTE]

I really like the bike, and if I decide to keep it I can leave the seat post as is.

But I have been looking at touring bikes, with some thought of trying some unsupported touring. To fund one and the accessories I would probably need to sell one or two of my bikes. Still in the thinking stage at this point.
Old 12-04-10, 05:48 AM
gomango

I really like the bike, and if I decide to keep it I can leave the seat post as is.

But I have been looking at touring bikes, with some thought of trying some unsupported touring. To fund one and the accessories I would probably need to sell one or two of my bikes. Still in the thinking stage at this point.
Gotcha.

I am doing the same thing. I had a little different angle though, with a little more of a "sport tourer" emphasis.

By the way, the ammonia trick has worked for me twice now on seized posts.

Make sure to not go to crazy with the stuff, and to give it a little time to work.
Old 12-04-10, 06:48 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
That's a very nice looking bike. Personally I would get the post fixed and KEEP it!! That bike is sweet. Your never going to get what you think it's worth due to the size mainly. So I would keep it, save up the money and buy a touring bike. You can find touring bikes used for cheaper then used racing bikes because the demand is lower. So just browse E-Bay and Craigslist for a good used touring bike.

By the way I picked up a 84 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe in original mint condition for only $130! I have an 07 Mercian Vincitore for touring, but that bike looks so nice I decided to buy a used touring bike for touring and save the Mercian...weird huh?

Or you could buy one of these brand new for not a lot of jack: https://www.bikyle.com/RockyMtnRd.asp I think these are the best touring bikes for the money anywhere...but that's just my opinion of course.
Old 12-04-10, 10:35 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by gomango
Tommasini identified my Sintesi as a 1991....
According to my literature, the Sintesi was not even in the line in 1991. Didn't the Sintesi use a Neuron tubeset? If so, it shouldn't be any older than about 1995.
Old 12-04-10, 10:46 AM
gomango

According to my literature, the Sintesi was not even in the line in 1991. Didn't the Sintesi use a Neuron tubeset? If so, it shouldn't be any older than about 1995.
Thanks!

Yes, I was surprised by their dating. In person, at the shop in Grosseto, as well.

I have been told by several of my family members in Bayern, that their dating is off by a half decade as well.

They attribute this to my dismal understanding of Italian!

I always try be somewhat accurate dating my bikes, but you know what they say about horsehoes and hand grenades.
Old 12-04-10, 01:43 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I am getting the bug to buy a touring bike, but would likely have to sell my road bike first. I have a 85 - 87 (according to the factory) Tommasini Super Prestige. And I am wondering about its value in its current state.
I don't know if you caught my earlier post or not, but if you search E-Bay and Craigslist long enough you can pick up really nice touring bikes for cheap. Touring bikes used do not go for anywhere near as much as used race bikes except for a very few fancy ones like the Trek 720. Just yesterday I picked up the Schwinn Le Tour Luxe I was talking about off of Craigslist for $130. The bike is in mint condition and all original right down to the original rear rack, the guy bought it new in 85 only rode it for about 120 miles then got hurt at home and never rode it again; and it's more then able to do a fully loaded tour. It doesn't come with the 3rd water bottle mount but I know how to remedy that, and I have to convert the downtube shifters to barend another no big deal. today I got cleaned up and it looks like it's brand new.
Old 12-04-10, 01:55 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
alright, time to join the club. next time i have it in the cities i will have to get in contact with gomango so we can go for a ride. im actually here now but with no bike and a possible tight schedule tonight...

1996 Tecno, columbus ELOS tubing, originally purchased by my father.

it was set up with record/chorus 8spd, then full record 10, and when i got it i restored the original record cranks and ergo levers but converted them to 10spd.

she is also getting new wheels with campagnolo hubs laced to campagnolo tubular rims.

Old 12-04-10, 02:04 PM
rekmeyata

You guys need to stop showing these Tommasini's, I'm drooling and slobbering over myself too much!!
Old 12-04-10, 04:40 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
alright, time to join the club. next time i have it in the cities i will have to get in contact with gomango so we can go for a ride. im actually here now but with no bike and a possible tight schedule tonight...

1996 Tecno, columbus ELOS tubing, originally purchased by my father.

it was set up with record/chorus 8spd, then full record 10, and when i got it i restored the original record cranks and ergo levers but converted them to 10spd.

she is also getting new wheels with campagnolo hubs laced to campagnolo tubular rims.

Give me a heads up next time. We can at least head over to the Angry Catfish for a cup of coffee!

That is an incredible bike you have there.

Absolutely perfect.

I had mine built up with 10 speed Chorus.

We pulled the gruppo for 2009 Centaur, as the Chorus is getting set aside for a new project.
Old 02-13-20, 09:50 PM
Horochar

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Elkhorn, 1986 Faggin Tre Tubi, 1991 Miyata Alumicross, 1992 Merlin Road Titanium, 1993 Giant Cadex CFR-3, 2003 Tomac Buckshot Pro

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Funny

I emailed DeRosa about a bike some time ago and the date they (someone working there with the last name of DeRosa) gave was off easily by 5 years. I think the Italians are playing with us. BianchiGirl posted a pic from a 1993 catalog on a different thread showing this Alessandro paint scheme bike. Here’s mine, which I am assuming to be 1993, give or take a year.