Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

commuting, general impressions about you town?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

commuting, general impressions about you town?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 10:03 PM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the biggest downsides to biking in Portland, OR, is the fact that so many people are moving here. That means there are thousands of new-to-cyclist drivers on the road, and are trying to find there way around with out hitting folks, peds and cyclists. FAR more folks that walk in this city get hit by cars then if you're on a bike.

Other then that I can't complain.
Old 12-27-10, 10:48 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
I was very disappointed with Minneapolis when I road through it recently as part of my tour of the Mississippi river. The bike paths I was routed on were often in disrepair and there were large sections under construction so I was just dumped onto a no shoulder road with a lot of traffic traveling fast and no marked bicycle route detour. Here are the routes I took: Red Wing To Minneapolis and Minneapolis to St. Cloud. There were also many places where nice shoulders were replaced with rumble strips on roads that were part of the official MRT - how did the cycling community ever let that happen?
I could spend quite a bit a time on what Minneapolis does both right and wrong. It's hard for me to tell from your links about where you were routed when you went through Minneapolis. Portions of the MUPs along the river need repair. Not sure who is responsible for all the sections. The park board is responsible for at least some of it and as I understand it they allocate money to individual parks for upgrades and repairs on a cycle of years. So for example, when we moved into our neighborhood the MUPs in the local park were in tough shape. Fortunately soon after it was that parks "turn" for upgrade/repair money and the MUPs were fixed.

A lot of your route was through small towns and suburbs. There's probably over twenty communities between Redwing and St. Cloud. The Minneapolis cycling community has little to no influence on those areas of course and I'm guessing it's in the more rural areas that you encountered the rumble strips.

The "MRT" looks to be more of a "vision" that currently is made up of a hodge-podge of trails, roads, and routes that roughly follow the Mississippi rather than an actual trail. It would be like calling my commute the "tjspiel trail" except that I'm not seeking or getting any federal dollars to improve it. It's the most cycling friendly route between work and home that I could put together but it's only a collection of MUPs and streets that at any time could be interrupted by construction.

Anyway the MRT could potentially be a great trip but I'm not surprised at what you ran into. I'd also say that you probably only skirted the edge of Minneapolis along the river and that's not enough to give a very complete picture of the cycling infrastructure of the city.

Last edited by tjspiel; 12-27-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 11:02 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My home is in a different town than my work, but both are in Boulder County which is a great place to ride a bike. Pretty good network of MUPs (particularly in Boulder) and many roads have bike lanes. Cycling is popular here, so drivers are used to seeing bikes, and usually respect them. I am rarely honked at and have never had things thrown at me or been closely buzzed.

Paul
Old 12-27-10, 11:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
I've grown up in the Denver area and have cycled regularly for the past ten years or so. We have made great strides to make things friendly, in certain parts. The consolidated City and County of Denver is a nice place to bike. Plenty of safe routes. The suburbs however are hit and miss. I've enjoyed Golden, but too many hills for my liking.
The Metro area has started at a much more bicycle friendly point than most other cities. I've been riding bikes in the Denver/Colorado area for close to 40 years. Things have gotten better but it's only incrementally better than it was back in the 80's. We do have more bikeways and more shared roads then we had 30+ years ago but we started from having good facilities and good vision on where to go. One of the advantages that Denver has over a lot of places is that our drivers are better educated about bicyclists. That goes a long ways towards making any place more bicycle friendly.

I recently had occasion to ride across Nashville, TN. The motorists there didn't have a clue as to what I was, how I would ride or how to react to my presence. I might just as well have been a bug eyed alien for all their familiarity with bicyclists. They didn't give room, the roads are filled with high volumes of traffic, the infrastructure hasn't been designed with bicyclists in mind, etc. As long as I've been riding in Denver, I've never experienced the level of basic ignorance about cycling as I have in Nashville. Nashville would be a great place to ride but it would take a miracle to get past the cluelessness of the drivers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-27-10, 12:18 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with tennessee is that we have one of the highest transportation budgets in the country. We also have two major interstates running though, I-40 and I-75. This means a lot of through traffic, and most of the budget goes toward accommodating these vehicles. I have also noticed that we have some kind of complex about roads, we want them big and well paved so we don't seem as "country" to outsiders. You notice this on the TN/NC border where a road with an AADT of 50 is gravel on the NC side and smooth asphalt on the TN side, ridiculous!

Here in Knoxville there are some OK greenways that are useful for getting around if you live and work close to them, otherwise it's fairly frightening, especially on the west (rich) side of town. In the past five years so many roads have been widened and the traffic has increased exponentially, without creating that many more bike lanes or paths. Often the paths will be there and then just disappear, throwing you onto a busy four lane road, or divided highway. There is a long way to go, but somehow we are described as a bronze bike community. IMO it doesn't help that the former mayor of knoxville's family own pilot gas stations, and now he will be the mayor of the state. People describe him as bike friendly though, go figure.
Old 12-27-10, 12:22 PM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
The problem with tennessee is that we have one of the highest transportation budgets in the country. We also have two major interstates running though, I-40 and I-75. This means a lot of through traffic, and most of the budget goes toward accommodating these vehicles. I have also noticed that we have some kind of complex about roads, we want them big and well paved so we don't seem as "country" to outsiders. You notice this on the TN/NC border where a road with an AADT of 50 is gravel on the NC side and smooth asphalt on the TN side, ridiculous!

Here in Knoxville there are some OK greenways that are useful for getting around if you live and work close to them, otherwise it's fairly frightening, especially on the west (rich) side of town. In the past five years so many roads have been widened and the traffic has increased exponentially, without creating that many more bike lanes or paths. Often the paths will be there and then just disappear, throwing you onto a busy four lane road, or divided highway. There is a long way to go, but somehow we are described as a silver bike community. IMO it doesn't help that the former mayor of knoxville's family own pilot gas stations, and now he will be the mayor of the state. People describe him as bike friendly though, go figure.
You mean governor I've never heard Haslam described as bike-friendly.

Up the road in Johnson City, the city commission has seen what the Virginia Creeper Trail has done for the communities around it and wants a piece of that action - they're trying to buy an old stretch of railroad for conversion into a bike/walking trail. That'll be neat-o if it happens, but not really too handy for commuters.

Still, whatever gets people bicycling will probably lead to more commuting, which will lead to more awareness of commuting, etc.
Old 12-27-10, 12:36 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Errr, right, governor, sorry.

He may not be described as a bike friendly, but he sure did take the credit and flaunt it when the bronze designation was awarded.

Of note: "The U.S. Census Bureau's most recent American Community Survey indicates that nearly 1,000 people in Knoxville commute to work on their bicycles roughly triple the number in 2006"
That puts bike commuters just over 1%

Too bad most the people who ride the creeper trail get their fat asses trucked up to the top so they can just coast down.
Old 12-27-10, 12:41 PM
Rail

Bikes: Torker U-District, Litespeed Blue Ridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the northern outer suburbs of Boston. Cycling, whether recreational or for commuting, is common here.

There are very few MUPs and no bike lanes. Despite this, road sharing between bicycles and automobiles is normally peaceful and an expectation.
Old 12-27-10, 02:20 PM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fla. is finally paving shoulders on a select, few stretches of high-speed highways. They're striped as "bike lanes."
Old 12-27-10, 02:23 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Houston: A Mixed bag

Originally Posted by Totaled108
One of the biggest downsides to biking in Portland, OR, is the fact that so many people are moving here. That means there are thousands of new-to-cyclist drivers on the road, and are trying to find there way around with out hitting folks, peds and cyclists. FAR more folks that walk in this city get hit by cars then if you're on a bike.

Other then that I can't complain.

I'm a Houston native and I live on the west side in Spring Branch. I've found Houston to be a mixed bag. The west side is not bad (but not great either). The Heights and parts of the inner loop are fairly friendly, but over all the infrastructure is lacking.
Old 12-27-10, 02:24 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I live in Binghamton NY for now. I really don't have a problem as far as bike commuting goes. Some people are A$$' s, some aren't. Designated bike lanes are really not taken care of so I do what I must.

I don't have a problem with following the law. My problem only arises when it is excessive or punitive or unevenly enforced.

Over the last few years I have seen an increase in cyclist which I think is a good thing.
Old 12-27-10, 02:40 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boise ID isn't bad, since we have soo many MTB's around and tons of roadies out and about year round people here are used to seeing and navigating around cyclist so commuting isn't very hard here. The amount of bike lanes is growing monthly and we have a pretty good MUP though it really only follows the river and isn't really designed for commuting it does provide me an easy route for some of my errands. Over all the general attitude about bicycle commuters is good here, i think a lot of it has to do with a lot of people here wanting to be "green" which i have no problem with What is weird in boise is you can't go an hour without seeing a car with a empty bike rack on the back of it.
Old 12-27-10, 02:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Peninsula, one big hill, with OR30/US101 on one side, OR 202 on the other .

Few bicycle because most of the houses are on the hill,
and you have to walk Up, to go home .
Unlike Portland , the river valley is full of River.
Old 12-27-10, 03:06 PM
bmt074

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newenglandbike
I'm also guilty as charged- the Boston area has some horrendous roads in terms of bicycle safety. Narrow and/or no shoulder, no alternative (safer) routes in many cases. The city is doing some good in terms of added infrastructure, and there are plenty of cyclists, so "awareness in numbers" could be working... but I still find that the only option in some stretches is to hop onto the sidewalk (Mt. Auburn St. in Watertown, anyone?). These sidewalks don't seem to see much walking, regardless of the time of day, though the road is usually packed with cars.

I justify it by thinking: it is better than being frightened into a car or onto a bus.
Haha I once got side-swiped by a taxi on Mt. Auburn st. in Watertown before. He cut so close that the back of his right mirror whacked my left handlebar as he was passing. He slowed down for a moment - he saw that I was still upright and roared off. I still ride in the street there though .
Old 12-27-10, 03:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sacramento's not too bad. Lots of employers (including the state and local governments) encourage bike commuting, we have an awesome bike trail that runs 30 miles east to Folsom, downtown and midtown are flat and laid out in a grid, and the weather is pretty great.

But.... we could do so much better. There's really poor north/south access, all the bike lanes end as soon as you get to downtown, and the Sactown tradition of leaving leaf piles in the streets means that most residential streets are a filthy, slippery mess all winter long.
Old 12-27-10, 05:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Milwaukee's OK even if the roads themselves are beat to S***. I do 25m/day on streets and paths. Most drivers are pretty good about giving you room.
Old 12-27-10, 05:43 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madison Wisconsin is A-OK
Old 12-27-10, 09:11 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john423
I know it's not exactly fashionable in these parts, but there are places along just about any route I take (except to work) where I feel like I've gotta ride on the sidewalk if I enjoy continuing to live without major injury.

There's a lot of people here who say "never use them," and I understand why, but to me it's another tool that I have to use every once in a while when conditions scream for it. There's about 2 bike lanes in the whole town of 50,000 people, and cars are not only way not used to driving with bikes on the road, they're particularly redneck in their "how dare they even be on the road slowing ME down!" militancy, so sometimes the best thing to do is hang out on the sidewalk.

For example, riding home from work on the road the other night, and a guy passes me horribly closely in the right lane even though he has a whole other lane on the four-lane road to get in to get around me, and it's open for MILES. He could've given me a LANE and couldn't give me three feet. Why? Just redneck crap. "This'll scare him, huh huh." I'm sure people have it just as bad everywhere.
You could have been describing MY town -- except mine's 250,000, and 249,850 of them hate cyclists.

I have attached a weapon to my bike, because there have been recent threats.

Yes, I also ride the sidewalk whenever I feel it necessary (legal here most places in town).
Old 12-27-10, 09:26 PM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
Too bad most the people who ride the creeper trail get their fat asses trucked up to the top so they can just coast down.
I wouldn't mind it so bad if they didn't coast down 3 wide and leave NO room for people who are coming up the trail. Then they act all pissed off when you ask for a lane. I guess they feel entitled since they paid whatever to get trucked up to the top. Where's the challenge in it? I did 60 of 66 miles before I had a flat I was ill-prepared for (lessons were learned) and I had to walk the carcass back the last 6 miles. I will finish it by bikepower sometime in 2011.
Old 12-27-10, 09:45 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say the infrastructure in Boston is pretty good. The drivers are becoming more considerate / aware. It's the PEDESTRIANS who drive me insane. I feel like I'm at much greater risk for running into/over someone than having a collision with a vehicle. This includes:

* jaywalkers who dart out from between parked cars
* joggers on the MUPs with headphones who bob and weave unpredictably
Old 12-28-10, 04:38 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Most of the roads where I live were designed in the 1600s (or earlier in some cases), consequently they are narrow. There is no bike infrastructure to speak of.
Old 12-28-10, 08:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by newenglandbike
I've been using a mirror for quite a while, but I would advise you not to be lulled into a false sense of security by a mirror. Just because you can see what's coming, doesn't always help. I've been riding for years and years in this city, starting with a bmx and riding with my buddies all over the place and then some. I have about as much skill as I will ever have (although I'm always learning, I'm also always forgetting)-- but Mt. Auburn street is not worth dying for IMHO- particularly the stretch between Aberdeen Ave and Arlington St-- and there are a few other streets like it as well.
Thanks for the reply. My post was to refute that Boston is per se a "horrendous” place to ride, though I would not fault one for riding (safely) on the sidewalk. I have done so myself in the Detroit suburbs as mentioned above. One of my worst crashes occurred when I moved over to the sidewalk and didn't see a post sticking up in the shade. I think all cities have dangerous streets if there are no accomodations for bikes. For myself, I occasionally think about how even though I may be comfortable riding in traffic, some other cyclists would go crazy.

IMO, one of the benefits of commuting in Boston is that though the street patterns are crazy, the number of streets are sufficient that, with enough diligence one can find alternative routes.

I think a main use of the rearview mirror is not only for constant monitoring of what's coming, but also for quick checks when you have to avoid an oncoming obstacle. Jim's Rule of the Road is "No matter how lightly traveled and well-paved a road is, you are likely to be passed by a vehicle on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right."
Old 12-28-10, 09:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
I'd say the infrastructure in Boston is pretty good. The drivers are becoming more considerate / aware. It's the PEDESTRIANS who drive me insane. I feel like I'm at much greater risk for running into/over someone than having a collision with a vehicle. This includes:

* jaywalkers who dart out from between parked cars
* joggers on the MUPs with headphones who bob and weave unpredictably
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My post was to refute that Boston is per se a "horrendous” place to ride…
Hi mtalinm,

Thanks for your supportive comment about Boston cycle commuting. FYA, I posted about today’s commute, including an anecdote about a pedestrian encounter this morning.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post11992808

post # 7554

Jim
Old 12-28-10, 09:48 AM
brumskee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My little po-dunk town and surrounding county (livingston) I would put at about a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale. Not a lot of outright hostility but not much acceptance either. There has been some improvment with a few select roads getting a paved shoulder and an increase in ridership due to dui's and unemployment. Hey, we need all the ninjas and salmon we can get. The dirt roads offer the best riding with low traffic and good maintenence. The worst time to be on the road is during rush so commuting is not advised. Go one county west (Ingham) and there are miles of paved farm to market roads with very little traffic. Great riding as long as I am in the mood to drive to ride. Hoping to someday find the right place to make a car free life possible and enjoyable.

Last edited by brumskee; 12-28-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 10:23 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi mtalinm,

Thanks for your supportive comment about Boston cycle commuting. FYA, I posted about today’s commute, including an anecdote about a pedestrian encounter this morning.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post11992808

post # 7554

Jim
Big of you to double back and apologize to the guy, considering the circumstances. I've loudly apologized to some drivers before when I've completely screwed up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.