Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shaving legs for the first time

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shaving legs for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 09:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
For all those talking about women's versus men's razors, a few years back I noticed that my wife's and mine were the exact same thing, except hers was pink and mine was black. We even started buying whichever refill was cheaper at the time. Taking notice of other models, most of them are the same way: the women's ones just have prettier colors and sometimes a different shaped holder.

Originally Posted by max5480
dear everyone participating in this thread,
please don't shave your legs. your hardass father will thank you.
thanks.
(From the movie Breaking Away)
Mom: What's the matter?
Dad: He's shavin'.
Mom: Well... so what?
Dad: ...his legs.
Old 10-04-11, 09:31 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
For all those talking about women's versus men's razors, a few years back I noticed that my wife's and mine were the exact same thing, except hers was pink and mine was black.
This is not what I've noticed using a wide variety of different razors designed for men and women.

In my experience, women's razors consistently have more clearance, presumably to prevent nicks. Since most of them are barely shaving more than fuzz, they can get away with this. However, the practical effect is you get a crappy shave even with the ridiculous triple and quad blades that have become the norm. My wife can't use my blades without cutting herself. I can use all of hers, but the shave is no good.
Old 10-04-11, 09:40 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Interesting. Which ones have you noticed this on? Mine is the Schick Quattro and Gilette Mach 3. I do recall seeing one where the guard and aloe strip were quite different, but I can't remember which it was.
Old 10-04-11, 09:55 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Grown men having an in-depth discussion about shaving their legs...WTF has the world come to?
Old 10-04-11, 09:58 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Interesting. Which ones have you noticed this on? Mine is the Schick Quattro and Gilette Mach 3. I do recall seeing one where the guard and aloe strip were quite different, but I can't remember which it was.
The differences (aside from styling) are not apparent to the eye in any of them. The differences only show if I feel the closeness of the shave or run the 'ol credit card test after shaving against the grain.

I don't believe there is any difference between the razors except a minuscule difference in clearance between the blades and the skin.

I know for certain I've tried the women's Quattro. While particularly easy to use and good for a larger number of shaves than some other razors, I couldn't get as close as I could with the twin blades I normally use. I'm trying to remember if I'd tried the men's Quattro. Seems to me that I had and found that it was different (beyond the color)
Old 10-04-11, 10:14 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Right of passage? Huh? I don't shave, so I guess I don't belong. So sad. Seriously, that is the dumbest reason to shave.

You want to be a cyclist, the only thing you have to do is ride your freaking bike. Shaving your legs doesn't make you one thing or the other. Are you really that concerned about how your legs look? Man-up dude. Reminds me of when I had a motorcycle...about 50% of the Harley market is made up of guys who ride maybe three times a month, but like to think of themselves as bad-ass "bikers" and wear black leather.
Reading through your posts and reply's I'd guess, you don't have that much body hair, or it's quite light in nature. If I tried to use only soap on my face when I shaved I'd be a bloody, red mess. As for shaving the arm hair? Yes, I do that too, only with a set of clippers with a 1/16 inch attachment. I've crashed now with both hairy, and non hairy legs. Cleaning up the non-hairy was much easier and more comfortable. Too each his own, but shaved legs work for me.

On a side note, my wife was weirded out at first, but now when she comes to bike races she points out all the weirdo's who don't shave and wear spandex. Nasty.
Old 10-04-11, 10:27 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by RacerOne
Reading through your posts and reply's I'd guess, you don't have that much body hair, or it's quite light in nature. If I tried to use only soap on my face when I shaved I'd be a bloody, red mess. As for shaving the arm hair? Yes, I do that too, only with a set of clippers with a 1/16 inch attachment. I've crashed now with both hairy, and non hairy legs. Cleaning up the non-hairy was much easier and more comfortable. Too each his own, but shaved legs work for me.

On a side note, my wife was weirded out at first, but now when she comes to bike races she points out all the weirdo's who don't shave and wear spandex. Nasty.
Fair enough, but try the soap thing. Just work up a decent lather. It works and saves money. I thought it was rediculous at first as well until I tried it. Haven't bought shaving cream in years.
Old 10-04-11, 10:30 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by banerjek
I know for certain I've tried the women's Quattro. While particularly easy to use and good for a larger number of shaves than some other razors, I couldn't get as close as I could with the twin blades I normally use. I'm trying to remember if I'd tried the men's Quattro. Seems to me that I had and found that it was different (beyond the color)
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just not noticing the differences because I don't go for a very close shave. Because of the rosacea, I only shave with the growth. I used to go against the growth for special occasions, but I ended up looking like I had a sunburn.

Grown men having an in-depth discussion about shaving their legs...WTF has the world come to?
Every Sunday from Spring through Summer, hundreds of men gather at one place to put themselves in extremely close proximity to each other while wearing spandex with their shaves legs. What do you expect?
Old 10-04-11, 10:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Just work up a decent lather.
It seems that most people don't know what a decent lather is. Also, which soap you use will make a difference. Some have made the blade literally stick, leading to tons of cuts.

*This is my experience from when I shaved legs. I have yet to try soap on my face.
Old 10-04-11, 10:34 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fair enough, but try the soap thing. Just work up a decent lather. It works and saves money. I thought it was rediculous at first as well until I tried it. Haven't bought shaving cream in years.
Believe it or not, I did just that the other day hoping to save some cash. Didn't get from my chin to my ear on the first pass before the razor had caught and I was bleeding. Of course the cheap shave gel, which is good enough, is like $1 a can and lasts about a month or two.
Old 10-04-11, 11:39 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Hmmm. Maybe I'm just not noticing the differences because I don't go for a very close shave. Because of the rosacea, I only shave with the growth. I used to go against the growth for special occasions, but I ended up looking like I had a sunburn.
You won't notice it on a with the grain shave. Both razors deliver a result that looks good, but only the men's deliver a result that feels good as well.

The problem with shaving really close only occasionally is your skin will never get used to it and you'll burn every time. When I first got together with the woman who is now my wife, I had a beard. It took awhile before I could shave close without looking like I'd gone in for a chemical peel.

It seems that most people don't know what a decent lather is. Also, which soap you use will make a difference. Some have made the blade literally stick, leading to tons of cuts.
This varies radically among products. Aside from sticking, some are more prone to clogging the blades.
Old 10-04-11, 12:04 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by RacerOne
Believe it or not, I did just that the other day hoping to save some cash. Didn't get from my chin to my ear on the first pass before the razor had caught and I was bleeding. Of course the cheap shave gel, which is good enough, is like $1 a can and lasts about a month or two.
You went the wrong way. Shave WITH the direction of the hair. Go from ear to chin.
Old 10-04-11, 12:05 PM
pgjackson

*This is my experience from when I shaved legs. I have yet to try soap on my face.
I use Lever.
Old 10-04-11, 12:25 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

You went the wrong way. Shave WITH the direction of the hair. Go from ear to chin.
Shaving with the grain immediately before shaving against the grain (i.e. shave everything twice) makes a big difference. I'm not sure why it works, but it does for me.
Old 10-04-11, 12:38 PM
pgjackson

Shaving with the grain immediately before shaving against the grain (i.e. shave everything twice) makes a big difference. I'm not sure why it works, but it does for me.
This.

Another trick is to shave in the shower. Keeps the wiskers soft and easy to cut.
Old 10-04-11, 12:49 PM
Megiddo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another trick... strop your blades. Before and after use, run it backwards. I use my forearm for face shaving and before I start my leg. I then will use my leg (after it's been shaved). Of course use some shaving cream or soap to lubricate the blades.

This will knock any tiny nicks and rust from your blade.
Old 10-04-11, 12:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That's what the instructions with my first razor said. I tried shaving against the growth for months at first, but the chemical peel look is part of my affliction and not just razor burn.

This.

Another trick is to shave in the shower. Keeps the wiskers soft and easy to cut.
I always do this because my hair is very thick. I must have some Armenian in me somewhere.
Old 10-04-11, 12:51 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shave my gorilla legs in the shower with a cheap disposable razor against the grain. put lotion on after i get out, never have any issues. not sure what you all are doing wrong
Old 10-04-11, 03:45 PM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shaved for the first time today! Should I post pictures?
Old 10-04-11, 03:54 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleon
The trick is to keep the shaved leg on the windward side.
I knew there must be a solution!
Old 10-04-11, 03:58 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW folks, if shaving is a pain and waxing is a REAL pain consider "sugaring." It is easy, cheap (just sugar, H20, lemon juice), and much less painful than waxing. The results last much longer than shaving and keeps you much smoother.
Old 10-04-11, 04:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by kbro1986
shaved for the first time today! Should i post pictures?
No
Old 10-04-11, 04:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by HokuLoa
BTW folks, if shaving is a pain and waxing is a REAL pain consider "sugaring." It is easy, cheap (just sugar, H20, lemon juice), and much less painful than waxing. The results last much longer than shaving and keeps you much smoother.
I've never seen the idea of making lemonade out of a situation so literally applied.

Alternatively, remove leg hair with fire. Word is it's also a good way to get rid of dork discs.
Old 10-04-11, 05:25 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen the idea of making lemonade out of a situation so literally applied.

Alternatively, remove leg hair with fire. Word is it's also a good way to get rid of dork discs.
Ha, missed that as an alternative product (albeit w/ drastically changed ratios). Next weekend project, lemonade and hairless legs... I'll skip the fire though.
Old 10-04-11, 08:26 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of mens vs. womens razors I've noticed something. My wife's razors don't rust like mine do. Anyone else found this?

Also I tried sugaring and couldn't get the stuff cooked up right without burning it or it being runny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.