Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 06-28-12, 10:27 PM
Standard Issue

Bikes: 89 Bianchi Campione d'Italia upgraded with 10 speed Ultegra/105, '92 Trek 1100 8 speed, bar end shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I like how these builds develop in character. Gravel grinders, grocery getters, some still ready for singletrack. They seem to adapt to their enviroments rather well. Watch out Fixies, 650B-ers and Carbon Jockeys...you might be looking at the next hot trend?
Considering the popularity (and rising cost) of vintage road bikes and the abundance of cheap mtbs for sale, i'd say thats a sound prediction.
Old 06-28-12, 10:31 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
do want!!!
Old 06-28-12, 10:34 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

I like how these builds develop in character. Gravel grinders, grocery getters, some still ready for singletrack. They seem to adapt to their enviroments rather well. Watch out Fixies, 650B-ers and Carbon Jockeys...you might be looking at the next hot trend?
luckily sensibility is never in style
Old 06-28-12, 10:51 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leftthread
Do you think a drop bar conversion would also work well with a flat-bar hybrid frame, 700c/35 wheels?
Yes. Poor man's cyclocross/touring rig.
Old 06-28-12, 11:18 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Love the bike. That's the one SJ I keep looking for.
Old 06-28-12, 11:39 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Love the bike. That's the one SJ I keep looking for.
Thanks for the compliments. Truthfully, I should probably be kicked off the thread, because I've returned this bike to the stock bars. It just wasn't seeing much mileage, and I needed the shifters for another bike.

I do like the bike, though, with the exception of the u-brake, which I find to be a PITA. This bike is a 1988; the 1989 seems very similar but loses the u-brake in favor of cantis. I'd look for that one. https://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm
Old 06-28-12, 11:42 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

ubrake = looks sexy and good braking power, but not as easy to use as cantis

great color scheme btw.. u did a good job working off the accents for the bottle cages and bar wrap

btw.. has anyone ever put downtube shifters on their mtb?
Old 06-29-12, 12:14 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
My DeKerf, masqureading as a cyclocross bike:

Likes For tashi:
Old 06-29-12, 12:17 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Love this thread. Wish I could contribute.
Old 06-29-12, 12:19 AM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ frantic:

I noticed the Apex in your sig. I got an 88 Apex a couple months ago, which I stripped for parts for my Cx bike. I still have the frameset and wheels, so I was thinking of "Urban Hybrid" as well. I'm curious what gearing and tires you're running.
Old 06-29-12, 12:25 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

u can click the name for pics and more info (or go here https://velospace.org/node/37032) but it's 46t front ring and 13-28 cassette in the rear. it's a good range, though i mostly use the middle 5 gears and not the top or bottom. Tires are Kenda K838 fat slicks which i highly recommend.. very smooth riding and lots of volume for a cushy ride. 60psi will give you a great ride, 80psi is stiffer but you feel faster too...
Old 06-29-12, 12:29 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi

I do not think it is masquerading... early crossers used mountain bikes and suspect my Moulden may have been built or used for this very purpose. The sloping top tube and super light frame makes it very tossable.

Also interesting to me that my Moulden is 22 years old and it's design is very close to what many modern mountain bikes look like... know that many larger companies came here to look at some of the local work as a lot of our local bikes were built for racing and our shop even produced a handful of competition mountain bikes and we have one at the shop that is in mint condition and is un-ridden.
Old 06-29-12, 12:35 AM
echo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tashi

Now THAT'S a seatpost!
Old 06-29-12, 08:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. Truthfully, I should probably be kicked off the thread, because I've returned this bike to the stock bars. It just wasn't seeing much mileage, and I needed the shifters for another bike.
BAN HIM! j/k

I do like the bike, though, with the exception of the u-brake, which I find to be a PITA. This bike is a 1988; the 1989 seems very similar but loses the u-brake in favor of cantis. I'd look for that one. https://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm
Yeah, they struck me as a little fiddly to set up/maintain and possibly prone to getting clogged up. You guys can tell how I solved that problem if you look close enough.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-29-12, 09:00 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
This is one of the bikes I've most enjoyed. I'm so glad it survived the "incident".

Old 06-29-12, 09:28 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
That's an interesting point, but I tend to agree with frantic's comment above. On the other hand, I've never tried to sell a drop bar conversion, but judging by how people fawn over it when I take it out on a group ride, maybe it would sell quickly. Have we just stumbled on a solution to the low value of MTBs that wrk101 mentioned earlier?
Old 06-29-12, 09:35 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Yep, sloping top tube and 90's race bike geometry make for a real long post. I run it just past* the min insertion marks to get proper leg extension. I raced this bike with a super dorky looking high-rise stem that made it fit almost right.

*I still have proper insertion into the frame, it's OK

Originally Posted by echo
Now THAT'S a seatpost!
Old 06-29-12, 10:15 AM
pretzelkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally finished building up this MB-2 after buying the frame on ebay about a year ago. Been riding it all over the Berkeley hills after work lately. I really wanted something that could tackle serious trail riding but could also handle long road rides (getting to and from remote trail heads) and this bike does the trick nicely. It's a 58cm frame and I put a Schwalbe Marathon Extereme in the rear and Smart Sam in the front -both low volume, grippy, yet low rolling resistance tires.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7467086820_8a4e723f03_c.jpg (98.4 KB, 5632 views)

Last edited by pretzelkins; 06-29-12 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For pretzelkins:
Old 06-29-12, 10:24 AM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Loving this thread!

+1 to all of that.

Got bit by the vintage mtb bug last year, it's almost a little too easy to pick up nice, cheap, vintage mtbs so they make a great platform for customization for pretty much any purpose. I've even bought a couple small frame high-end ladies mtbs because they're usually so lightly used, they make great parts donors for other bikes.
Old 06-29-12, 11:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
Loving this thread!

+1 to all of that.

Got bit by the vintage mtb bug last year, it's almost a little too easy to pick up nice, cheap, vintage mtbs so they make a great platform for customization for pretty much any purpose. I've even bought a couple small frame high-end ladies mtbs because they're usually so lightly used, they make great parts donors for other bikes.
My only advice when you pick a bike to start with, is to aim high. Around here, a lower end vintage Trek MTB might bring $125. Meanwhile, a top of the line might bring $175. For the $50 extra, you get a bike that originally retailed for close to $900, versus one that might have retailed for $299. So everything is better on that higher end MTB: better wheels, much better frame, much better components, much lighter weight, etc. And if you shop a lot, and are willing to take on a project, you can find those higher end models for $75 or less. The Univega I started this thread with cost me $40, and I bought it from a DKO flipper. Now it was missing its wheels, but used MTB wheels are cheap. The DKO guy just didn't want to mess around with it.

+1 I buy MTBs as donors all the time, for cranks, seat posts, and other assorted parts.
Old 06-29-12, 11:13 AM
blilrat

Bikes: Somebody stole them all... I walk now.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably pushing the vintage envelope a bit - it's a '93, but here is my favorite single track trail rider with dirt drops.

Likes For blilrat:
Old 06-29-12, 02:43 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
I saw this on another forum, it has zero C&V content but is such a cool build IŽll put a picture up anyway and risk incurring your wrath.

The builder did it on a low budget, closeout frame and fork from Nashbar if i remember correctly.

Old 06-29-12, 02:48 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Do you think a drop bar conversion would also work well with a flat-bar hybrid frame, 700c/35 wheels?
I did exactly this over the winter. I would post a picture but my neighbour has ŽborrowedŽthe bike and left it in bloody Dietzenbach. Hopefully it will retrun to frankfurt soon...

This is a smaller version of the donor frame:

The TT is a little long but a short stem kind-of fixes that. The steering is very, very slow. Anyway IŽll post pictures when it returns.
Old 06-29-12, 03:42 PM
calstar 

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Subscribing. this thread is relevant to my interests.
and

Loving this thread!

+1 to all of that.

Ditto! I'm inspired, out to the parts bin I go.

Brian-

Last edited by calstar; 06-29-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 03:44 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My only advice when you pick a bike to start with, is to aim high. Around here, a lower end vintage Trek MTB might bring $125. Meanwhile, a top of the line might bring $175. For the $50 extra, you get a bike that originally retailed for close to $900, versus one that might have retailed for $299. So everything is better on that higher end MTB: better wheels, much better frame, much better components, much lighter weight, etc. And if you shop a lot, and are willing to take on a project, you can find those higher end models for $75 or less. The Univega I started this thread with cost me $40, and I bought it from a DKO flipper. Now it was missing its wheels, but used MTB wheels are cheap. The DKO guy just didn't want to mess around with it.

+1 I buy MTBs as donors all the time, for cranks, seat posts, and other assorted parts.
Big time +1...the better stuff sells for similar numbers to the mid-range and below.

I bought the above Litespeed ti frame for $100. Most of the parts came off of a stumpjumper that I paid $55 for. The only things I bought separately were the tektro levers, commands and bars. It is a budget build and it is an AMAZING all arounder. it is one of the most fun bikes I've owned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.