Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Old 01-08-13, 09:57 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Dudley, if you think that I will allow you and Mr. Miss Kenton alone together for a New York second (or in your case, an Oshawa half-hour) to conspire against me, you've got another thing coming!
Gloves are off Blueberry!
Old 01-08-13, 10:08 PM
kenmcchord

Bikes: 2006 specialized s-works Tarmac, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This guy is in, I love Boston. Now all I've got to do is shake this cold that is kicking my beeeeeehind
Old 01-08-13, 10:18 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kenmcchord
This guy is in, I love Boston. Now all I've got to do is shake this cold that is kicking my beeeeeehind
Six months in the aluminum hat ought to do it.
Old 01-08-13, 11:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Jim,
From what you've posted about last year's ride, I am guessing that the ride start will be at Lexington High School again. I am browsing maps and hotels and it would appear that Belmont is midway between Lexington HS and Boston, yes? Does that seem like a reasonable area to look for hotels?
I think Belmont is much closer to Lexington than Boston. I have had occasion to visit an excellent bike shop in Belmont (from Kenmore Square), but it is a confusing drive to Boston through the inner suburbs (as are most routes). It is convenient to Lexington though.

Actually, I'm surprised if there are hotels in Belmont, since it is a ritzy suburb. In fact it is the official voting residence of Mitt Romney, he of the "one percent."

As I recall, there are some hotels along the Rte 128 beltway in Waltham, that are also convenient to Lexington.
Old 01-09-13, 08:44 AM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Six months in the aluminum hat ought to do it.
Let me consult with Elvis (the cat) he's my go to guy in all things that require an aluminum foil hat!
Old 01-09-13, 10:24 AM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up a room at the Aloft hotel in Lexington, about 2 miles from the HS. Used points off my amex card at spg.com, so I'm all set. Even talked the wife into joining me (yippee!) We're in on Friday, out on Sunday.

Thanks Jim from Beantown for working this through, I am seriously looking forward to this.
Old 01-09-13, 12:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Jim,
From what you've posted about last year's ride, I am guessing that the ride start will be at Lexington High School again. I am browsing maps and hotels and it would appear that Belmont is midway between Lexington HS and Boston, yes? Does that seem like a reasonable area to look for hotels?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Actually, I'm surprised if there are hotels in Belmont, since it is a ritzy suburb. In fact it is the official voting residence of Mitt Romney, he of the "one percent."

As I recall, there are some hotels along the Rte 128 beltway in Waltham, that are also convenient to Lexington.
Another, and IMO more pleasant suburb with hotels, between Boston and Lexington is Newton (“The Garden City”). There is a Marriot on Commonwealth Ave (Comm Ave)/Rte 30 in a residential area on a favorite cycling loop of mine.

As a primer for those driving to Boston, the city streets, though charming and/or interesting, are very confusing, so it might be best to stick to expressways to get from one point to another. There are two major arteries serving the western suburbs including Lexington: the above-mentioned Rte 128 circumferential Beltway, and the Mass Pike (I-90), an east-west toll road that intersects Rte 128 and goes straight into downtown Boston through Newton. So you may want to be near those two freeways to get about. Another interstate is I-93 north of Boston, also with hotels along it.

If you stay at a hotel in one of the Boston’s inner suburbs, they may be served by the Light Rail system known as the (T). There are four major lines, distinguished by colors, that go into the city. Three allow bikes during off-peak hours, including the entire week-end, but not the Green line, which goes west to Newton. There are a lot of hotels in the central city, but they are the most expensive.

Another logistical consideration is parking a car, but we can figure that out later as plans materialize.

See also my post about lodgings in general:

…LODGING:
In general, hotels in Boston proper and vicinity are more expensive than in the Midwest, though the rates decrease farther from downtown. There are some hotels near the starting point of the ride, Lexington, MA. I have perfunctorily searched for campsites, and the few there are are pretty far from Boston and Lexington.

The cheapest alternatives are that perhaps we could provide floor or couch space for a few riders (not more than four), but this is not a promise. A new Boston Youth Hostel has opened in downtown Boston so you might want to check availability (bostonhostel.org). There are several colleges in the area, but I don't know what their policies are about rentals of dorm rooms. There are also fraternities and sororities, which I think allow alums to stay short-term. Finally, perhaps some visitors have friends or relatives in Boston and environs who could accommodate them for a summer weekend.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-09-13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:45 PM
Jim from Boston

When I was thinking about riding the Fourth Annual Ride, I made up this check-off list in approximate chronologic order:

* schedule time off from work: four driving days, ride day, 2-3 days to hang out
* train with winter commuting, then intensify in mid March (10 weeks until June 2)
* ask Family permission to go away for one week (they probably would not want to go)
* arrange accommodations
* pre-ride bike check at LBS
* rent car if necessary
* map driving route (~1100 miles)
* pack
It's never too early to arrange accomodations:

Picked up a room at the Aloft hotel in Lexington, about 2 miles from the HS. Used points off my amex card at spg.com, so I'm all set. Even talked the wife into joining me (yippee!) We're in on Friday, out on Sunday.

Thanks Jim from Beantown for working this through, I am seriously looking forward to this.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-10-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:59 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm booked into a room in Sommerville for the weekend. I'm looking forward to this because I was planning to take a week long loaded tour in Quebec, so this weekend will be a good warm up for me. I'll be in Friday afternoon until Monday morning and am good for whatever. I found a really reasonable room on "Air BNB" for the weekend, these are privately owned rentals, not commercial hotels so you have to select carefully, but the prices and locations are great and the hosts are usually worth knowing by themselves.

Marc
Old 01-11-13, 03:15 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Wow! A few of those trips seem to be over a thousand miles, I reckon. If I had no a family wedding in Tampa, Fla he weekend before, I might have tried to make the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee, about 1100 mils (two day drive), if the family permitted. I guess the Force is stronger in the Fifty Plus Forum than I originally thought.
It was just over 1600 miles one way, but worth it. Boston, at around 1200 miles is easy! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, I have not visited the 50+ or any other forum for years and did not realize that almost 5 years had passed since the first rendezvous.

So what are the proposed dates/location for 2013?
Old 01-11-13, 03:53 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Got it. July 27.
Old 01-12-13, 07:29 AM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I'm booked into a room in Sommerville for the weekend. I'm looking forward to this because I was planning to take a week long loaded tour in Quebec, so this weekend will be a good warm up for me. I'll be in Friday afternoon until Monday morning and am good for whatever. I found a really reasonable room on "Air BNB" for the weekend, these are privately owned rentals, not commercial hotels so you have to select carefully, but the prices and locations are great and the hosts are usually worth knowing by themselves.

Marc
Marc,
I was glad to read that you use Air BNB. I am planning to ride Assault on Mount Mitchell in May and the wife and I were looking at a room on the same site. I haven't booked it yet, wasn't quite sure how I felt about renting a room from private owners. Would you say this is a rewarding experience? The place we are looking at is in Asheville NC and it looks beautiful, and close to Mt. Mitchell which is a big plus. No problems going this route for you in the past?
Old 01-12-13, 08:21 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marc
A week long loaded tour Marc? you really should not ride and drink.
Old 01-12-13, 10:50 AM
Jim from Boston

...I'm looking forward to this [Boston ride] because I was planning to take a week long loaded tour in Quebec, so this weekend will be a good warm up for me....

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
See this recent headline, "Boston ranks No. 1 on 'drunkest city' list."

https://content.usatoday.com/communit...st-city-list/1

It's not a proud distinction for the city known as "The Hub (of the Universe)" and is attributed the large number of college students who live here, but they will be gone for the summer. Nonethless, Boston is a fun- and party-town, especially in the summer.
Old 01-12-13, 11:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I would hope that we could re-create, and perhaps transcend the ambience of the second Annual Ride at the Finger Lakes. The "campfire" fireside chat at your campsite was memorable (though Boston would be a more urbane experience).
I wasn't there, but I understand some sort of ultra-light expedition-grade portable martini kit was involved, using only the finest in freeze-dried Mercury astronaut approved alcohol.
Old 01-12-13, 11:21 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Dudley, if you think that I will allow you and Mr. Miss Kenton alone together for a New York second (or in your case, an Oshawa half-hour) to conspire against me, you've got another thing coming!
another THINK coming.
Old 01-12-13, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I wasn't there [at the Second AnnuaFifty-Plus Ride], but I understand some sort of ultra-light expedition-grade portable martini kit was involved, using only the finest in freeze-dried Mercury astronaut approved alcohol.

…Miss Kenton and TheMister (Tom) were a real fun couple. On Saturday night after the raffle, we stayed at the Dining Hall for the awful Fashion Show and the interesting Travelogue...We had martinis from my Martini Field Kit and stayed until past 11:00 PM....
Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.

Originally Posted by Louis
...And the portable martini kit. What the hell, man, he's ready now.

...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-12-13, 05:49 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Marc,
I was glad to read that you use Air BNB. I am planning to ride Assault on Mount Mitchell in May and the wife and I were looking at a room on the same site. I haven't booked it yet, wasn't quite sure how I felt about renting a room from private owners. Would you say this is a rewarding experience? The place we are looking at is in Asheville NC and it looks beautiful, and close to Mt. Mitchell which is a big plus. No problems going this route for you in the past?
Just have to be careful, and read the reveiws. Most people are just interesting, busy and have too large a house.

Marc
Old 01-12-13, 08:22 PM
irwin7638

But being surprised at where you wake up is half the adventure.

Marc
Old 01-13-13, 06:12 PM
Road Fan

But being surprised at where you wake up is half the adventure.

Marc
This sounds too much like some unmentionable college adventures!
Old 01-13-13, 07:01 PM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by Road Fan
This sounds too much like some unmentionable college adventures!
I bear the luxury of being unmarried again, life without excuses.

Marc
Old 01-15-13, 05:01 PM
Road Fan

"... fly like an eagle ..."
Old 03-29-13, 11:49 AM
Road Fan

We're now at the threshold of April, and I'm curious about what plans exist. I've got several lists of possible bike rides to put in my schedule, and I want to know what's current in 50+ for an Annual Ride.

If the topic has not been moved to Foo ... my final discussion with Marc about the basics of life may have done that.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-29-13 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 02:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
July 20 & 21 we're planning a ride near St Louis. July 20 is an out-and-back Katy Trail ride starting in St Charles followed by dinner at a local restaurant. July 21 is a 32 mile ride mostly on the Madison County, Illinois trails. It might be hot but both rides include a lot of shade.

There is no fee for these rides and no services are promised. In other words, we are going to ride a designated route and, if you choose, you are welcome to ride along at your own risk.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-30-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 09:03 AM
Artmo 

Originally Posted by Artmo
Got it. July 27.
Oops, just booked supported French Canada Tour July 20-28, so I guess I'll have to wait for the 6th reunion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.