Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hercules 3 speed 195x

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hercules 3 speed 195x

Old 03-26-13, 03:26 PM
Howard
Chip seal rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Howard, you are on the right track. There were two different series of the Hercules 3-speed hub: the A Type which was made between 1942 or 1943 until 1951 or 1952 and the B Type which was made from 1952 or 1953 until they ceased production. The newest Hercules hub I have spotted is a B Type 6 which would correspond to 1956. There is one exception to this in that when Sturmey-Archer introduced the SW hub, Hercules re-branded some of those and they are marked as Hercules SW. You are correct that SA shifters work without any problems with Hercules A and B Type hubs. I do not have experience with SA or Hercules SW hubs.

Your mention of the dropouts is correct regarding telling the difference between Birmingham and Nottingham built bicycles. There is also a difference between Hercules dropouts too. Through the early-1950's there was a "keyhole" on the dropout above the axle, but in the mid-1950's the design changed and they eliminated the "keyhole" from the dropout. If you reference the pictures below, you can see the difference between the dropouts which will assist in determining the age of Hercules bicycles.

Up to early 1950's dropout. This style dropout is what is on Hercules in my collection ranging from 1946-1952. As mentioned above, I do not have a 1953 or 1954 Hercules to reference.

Mid-1950's and later dropout which was used until Hercules production was merged with Raleigh. The first year I have seen this dropout is 1955, but it could have been a little earlier since, as mentioned above, I don't have a 1953 or 1954 Hercules....
A belated thank you for the information. Am learning a lot on this thread!
Old 03-26-13, 03:56 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard
A belated thank you for the information. Am learning a lot on this thread!
No problem Howard. I'm glad to help out... BTW, I'm pretty sure that the Hercules B Type was introduced in 1952 and for two reasons. My Hercules Lion has an A Type 1 hub (1951) but I have another bike with a B Type 2 hub. According to a friend they didn't introduce the B Type until 1953, but as I was perusing a delivery of CTC Gazettes that were dropped on my doorstep today, one of the early 1952 editions makes mention of the B Type hub, thereby indicating the existence of that hub prior to the 1953. It's information only a Hercules enthusiast would know and certainly not information most people would care about.
Old 03-26-13, 04:36 PM
Howard
Chip seal rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem Howard. I'm glad to help out... BTW, I'm pretty sure that the Hercules B Type was introduced in 1952 and for two reasons. My Hercules Lion has an A Type 1 hub (1951) but I have another bike with a B Type 2 hub. According to a friend they didn't introduce the B Type until 1953, but as I was perusing a delivery of CTC Gazettes that were dropped on my doorstep today, one of the early 1952 editions makes mention of the B Type hub, thereby indicating the existence of that hub prior to the 1953. It's information only a Hercules enthusiast would know and certainly not information most people would care about.
At the risk of going slightly off topic ...
Do we know of Hercules that used SW hubs, or did they continue with the license built AW during 57-58?

Also, I'm a little curious about the evolution of the headbadge. I have a Nottingham Hercules (66 on the hub) with the slightly shield or wedge shaped head badge. I'd always presumed those were post-Raleigh badges, but I've seen some from the fifties that were that style instead of the superimposed H and C.
Old 03-26-13, 05:41 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by LDB
Here's a few more photos. The downtube is bad because my dad mounted a footrest there and a seat on the top tube for me when I was really small.
Since wahoonc does not have any pictures of the Hercules Skyliner that I found for him some 5-6 years ago here in my town "Stump Dump." I'll post a few helpful ones for comparison.

Here is the seat tube decal:

This is the best full side picture I have of it.

The chain guard and as you can see the chainring has "Hercules" spelled out. Not just the "H."

This is the best I can do for the head badge. This is the only rod brake bike I've ever had my hands on. The mechanics involved are impressive.

If anyone is curious, this is how I found it.

I think we can surmise the Skyliner is older than LDB's father's Hercules.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-26-13, 07:12 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only number I can find on the hub appears to be 60. Here's the two sides of the rear dropouts too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130326_172841.jpg (107.2 KB, 142 views)
20130326_172819.jpg (108.4 KB, 137 views)
20130326_172709.jpg (101.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 03-26-13, 09:35 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Originally Posted by Howard
At the risk of going slightly off topic ...
Do we know of Hercules that used SW hubs, or did they continue with the license built AW during 57-58?

Also, I'm a little curious about the evolution of the headbadge. I have a Nottingham Hercules (66 on the hub) with the slightly shield or wedge shaped head badge. I'd always presumed those were post-Raleigh badges, but I've seen some from the fifties that were that style instead of the superimposed H and C.
Hercules did have one of their own branded SW hubs. A friend of mine in England has one. There was recently an auction on eBay for a leaflet/owners manual for a Hercules SW.

For the headbadge, they were all over the place with them, early ones having a round "sticker" or metal (brass, I think) badge on the headtube, then later the model name on the badge, and finally settled with the brand on the shield as you mentioned. I have a bike in my collection that has a Birmingham headbadge but with Raleigh style dropouts. It's a confusing machine for sure.

Last edited by photogravity; 03-27-13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-26-13, 09:41 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by LDB
The only number I can find on the hub appears to be 60. Here's the two sides of the rear dropouts too.
So LDB, it would appear your bicycle is a 1960 model or thereabouts. Towards the end of the 1950's Hercules was sourcing their hubs directly from Sturmey-Archer. It was also around the late 50's that Hercules abandoned the traditional style chainguard and started using the pointy one in its place. I had forgotten that from the earlier pictures, but it wasn't prominent because you only had a picture of the non-drive side.

It was around the late-50's or early-60's what Hercules ended up merging the same company as Raleigh, with TI as the parent.

As already mentioned, that is a very clean example of a Hercules and I am thankful that you were able to get more pictures of the hub and dropouts on the bicycle.

Last edited by photogravity; 03-26-13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 04:16 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Since wahoonc does not have any pictures of the Hercules Skyliner that I found for him some 5-6 years ago here in my town "Stump Dump." I'll post a few helpful ones for comparison.

I think we can surmise the Skyliner is older than LDB's father's Hercules.
Here is a photo of the head badge from the Skyliner. I have had to re-host my photo collection and I don't have everything moved yet.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-27-13, 04:59 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Here is a photo of the head badge from the Skyliner. I have had to re-host my photo collection and I don't have everything moved yet.

Aaron

I'm pretty sure this is from the 1940's, the more I think about it. Between the chainring with Hercules spelled out on it and the round headbadge, it looks like it's too early to be from the 1950's. It's a shame it doesn't have an IGH or we'd stand a better chance at figuring out the age on this.
Old 03-27-13, 06:13 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
It's been my experience that Hercules had reissues of both headbadges and cranksets from both Nottingham and Birmingham.

Here's an image search showing a whole array of versions for both crest and oval versions from both Birmingham and later Nottingham.

https://tinyurl.com/bu36ufo
Old 03-27-13, 06:42 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by clubman
It's been my experience that Hercules had reissues of both headbadges and cranksets from both Nottingham and Birmingham.

Here's an image search showing a whole array of versions for both crest and oval versions from both Birmingham and later Nottingham.

https://tinyurl.com/bu36ufo
You may be right based on what I know about them. The one thing I can say about them is that they were consistently inconsistent over time. It is unfortunate that they are not as well-documented as their Raleigh counterparts as they are quite durable and nice machines.
Old 03-28-13, 04:08 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

I'm pretty sure this is from the 1940's, the more I think about it. Between the chainring with Hercules spelled out on it and the round headbadge, it looks like it's too early to be from the 1950's. It's a shame it doesn't have an IGH or we'd stand a better chance at figuring out the age on this.
Single speed freewheel, need to check the hub...again. From what I recall no markings other than branding. It has the solid rear drop outs, similar to LDB's bike.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-28-13, 04:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Aaron, great picture of the headbadge! It's as nice looking and as interesting as I remember.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-28-13, 05:36 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Single speed freewheel, need to check the hub...again. From what I recall no markings other than branding. It has the solid rear drop outs, similar to LDB's bike.

Aaron
Since you say it has the later style drops, I'll change my mind and say mid- to late-1950's. Keeping in mind what clubman mentioned about Hercules re-issuing parts, that seems reasonable. Also, the brass headbadge and vertical Hercules lettering on the seattube would be indicative of a later production bicycle.
Old 03-28-13, 06:36 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 322 Posts
I would agree and say later production: mid-late 1950s. Clubman's comment about learning your own repairs is spot on. Mechanics who can really dig into these and do a proper job are the exception rather than the rule at local bike shops. Begin with Sheldon Brown's webpages as a starting point. The forum here is helpful as well, if you hit something not covered in the Sheldon Brown pages or similar sites. Everyone hits something weird or different from time to time, so even the veteran mechanics are still learning tricks to fix these bikes.
Old 03-28-13, 06:12 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Since you say it has the later style drops, I'll change my mind and say mid- to late-1950's. Keeping in mind what clubman mentioned about Hercules re-issuing parts, that seems reasonable. Also, the brass headbadge and vertical Hercules lettering on the seattube would be indicative of a later production bicycle.
My best guess has been 1954 +/- a couple. Still haven't managed to find it in any catalogs.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-28-13, 06:34 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

My best guess has been 1954 +/- a couple. Still haven't managed to find it in any catalogs.

Aaron
That's an entirely reasonable estimate of the year. As I dig through the 16 years (1948 to 1963) of CTC Gazettes I recently received, I'll keep my eyes out for it or something like it. There are a goodly number of Hercules ads in them.
Old 06-14-19, 12:37 AM
usarnie1

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Sports Tourists, 1952 Raleigh, 1957 Raleigh, 1963 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, 1953 Hercules Tourist, 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, 1953 Hercules Windsor, 1958 Bianchi Sport & 1960 Bianchi Sport

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My 1953 Hercules Royal Prince

I found the bike as shown on the top photo on OfferUp. It was only 12 miles from my home. The seller thought the bike was worth its' weight in gold! He did nothing to the bike and it had a blown out front tire, two linkes in the chain that were seased, worn out front axel bearing races, faded paint, missing the complete front brake, missing a kick stand, missing the rear chainguard bracket, one pedal was missing its' dust cap, rusted out cables, scratches, chips and rusty rims. He was asking $200 for the bike as-is and when I told him that the bike was not worth $200 in its current condition, he lowered his price to $160 and I purchased it. I know that I over paid for the bike, considering all the work and parts that the bike needed. However, I had to have it! The below photo shows its' current condition. I spent 2 1/2 days doing all the repairs, replacements, additions and a major tune up that the bike really needed. I have over 100 miles on the bike since its' overhaul and it rides great! The bike is not finished, as I plan to add a Klaxon Push Horn to the handlebars at a latter date.

Last edited by usarnie1; 10-20-19 at 12:18 AM. Reason: I added more information.
Old 06-14-19, 04:26 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
We 3 speeders tend to be a thrifty bunch, but I don't think you over paid. Personally, I place extra value on 1950s versions. Especially Birmingham made Hercs over the later Raleigh rebranded ones. Have you tried polishing compound on the paint? Sometimes polishing and wax will restore a surprising amount of luster to faded enamel.
Old 06-16-19, 08:35 PM
usarnie1

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Sports Tourists, 1952 Raleigh, 1957 Raleigh, 1963 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, 1953 Hercules Tourist, 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, 1953 Hercules Windsor, 1958 Bianchi Sport & 1960 Bianchi Sport

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I will take your advice and apply rubbing compound to the paint and see if the paint's lusture returns. I have ordered a reproduction Hercules Royal Prince sticker for the chainguard. It will be arriving soon from RedBubble.com and that will help the looks of the bike a lot. Additionally, I have ordered tan colored pannier bags and a matching tan triangle bag that goes within the bikes "V" portion of the frame from an e-bay seller in China. Since this bike is a keeper, I do not regret spending any additional money on my bike. I also want to add Schwalbe creme collored tires to the bike. Currently, the bike is 99% rust free and I am ridding this bike 3 times a week. Each time I ride, I add extra miles to my ride.

Thanks,

Arnie

Last edited by usarnie1; 06-16-19 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 04:22 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by usarnie1
I will take your advice and apply rubbing compound to the paint and see if the paint's lusture returns. I have ordered a reproduction Hercules Royal Prince sticker for the chainguard. It will be arriving soon from RedBubble.com and that will help the looks of the bike a lot. Additionally, I have ordered tan colored pannier bags and a matching tan triangle bag that goes within the bikes "V" portion of the frame from an e-bay seller in China. Since this bike is a keeper, I do not regret spending any additional money on my bike. I also want to add Schwalbe creme collored tires to the bike. Currently, the bike is 99% rust free and I am ridding this bike 3 times a week. Each time I ride, I add extra miles to my ride.

Thanks,

Arnie
Post some pictures over at the For the love of English 3 speeds thread. That's where us old English bike fans hang out. In fact, if you have before and after pics, post them too. We love to see projects come along. Not long ago, a member posted a video on rebuilding these Hercules hubs. It's an older Sturmey Archer design so a bit different than the usual AW hub.