Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 01:17 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
@surreal: Thanks for the info on the u-brakes. I did a little research and found the same thing. I'm going to run a rear u-brake on the front with a headset mounted cable hanger and yoke setup. Just looking for a cheap Bmx bike on craigslist that I can harvest some parts from.
Old 11-06-13, 05:12 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
Jim, I will let you know. I plan to at least give it a year or until something closer to my size come along. I am amazed by the craftsmanship that went into the frame, how someone could treat it so badly is sad.
Hope it fits you and you enjoy it. But if it does not, send me a PM maybe.

jim
Old 11-06-13, 06:30 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by likebike23
@surreal: Thanks for the info on the u-brakes. I did a little research and found the same thing. I'm going to run a rear u-brake on the front with a headset mounted cable hanger and yoke setup. Just looking for a cheap Bmx bike on craigslist that I can harvest some parts from.
It might actually be cool to build a u-brake equipped mtb with a Potts-mod stem and the funky cable routing, but I doubt it. That convoluted twist sorta kills the braking feel....

I have become a huge fan of not using headset-mounted hangers. I have some bullmoose bars with the integrated hanger on a canti-equipped mtb, and that's the one that converted me. I got a cheap current-production Kalloy dirt-drop style stem, and it has a stop built it, too. If I were to build a bike with centerpulls that wouldn't involve a hanger provision in the stem, I'd likely go with one of these things:
**edit** might not fit in with your u-brake adaptor** I just have this irrational fear about the hanger-in-the-stem-stack causing shuddering, although I haven't experienced it myself....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
123406.jpg (28.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by surreal; 11-06-13 at 06:32 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 11-06-13, 06:41 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
It might actually be cool to build a u-brake equipped mtb with a Potts-mod stem and the funky cable routing, but I doubt it. That convoluted twist sorta kills the braking feel....

I have become a huge fan of not using headset-mounted hangers. I have some bullmoose bars with the integrated hanger on a canti-equipped mtb, and that's the one that converted me. I got a cheap current-production Kalloy dirt-drop style stem, and it has a stop built it, too. If I were to build a bike with centerpulls that wouldn't involve a hanger provision in the stem, I'd likely go with one of these things:
**edit** might not fit in with your u-brake adaptor** I just have this irrational fear about the hanger-in-the-stem-stack causing shuddering, although I haven't experienced it myself....
nothing irrational about it. especially on newer cross bikes. so many being made in the last 10 years. i used to have customers come in all the time complaining and when I told them I could solve all their shuddering woes with simple $10 part and some cable housing and 15 minutes of labour they were so happy. I installed lots of these on cross bikes. They are great and I might even use one on my retro MTB build although a brake booster with integrated hanger is probably even better.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 11-11-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-10-13, 06:44 PM
dvsjes28

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1983 Trek 500, 2011 Mercier WT5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1989 Rockhopper Comp

Old 11-10-13, 10:10 PM
fixed1313

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll through another one up:

1988 Schwinn Impact, just got done with the rebuild. It was hanging in my shop for over a year waiting for the correct bar and stem combo to come around.

Old 11-11-13, 12:28 AM
Aemmer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
I was thinking about a repaint, but most of the paint was protected by the decals. I think if I strip and replace the decals and touch up the paint it will look much better. The beauty of the wild paint job is that it makes it harder not to mess it up.

I have been looking for a 66cm Land Shark road bike for ages, and this Dirt Shark has was 10 minutes from my house. I would usually ride a 23" mountain bike, but how often would one of those come up in a Land Shark.
Part of what makes Land Sharks so cool is their unique paint. Glad you are keeping it original paint.

Cool bike.
Old 11-11-13, 12:41 AM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Why do you think all the first suspension forks had them integrated. Well I challenge someone to set up their mags and bypass the fork brace cable stop with a stear tube or stem mounted stop and tell me how it goes...
Seriously? Am I misunderstanding you. They came that way because the stop had to be below the suspension travel, simple mechanics.

I suppose they could have designed them so the front brake went on and off with every bump in the road. Make for a challenging ride.
Old 11-11-13, 11:30 AM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by Aemmer
Seriously? Am I misunderstanding you. They came that way because the stop had to be below the suspension travel, simple mechanics.

I suppose they could have designed them so the front brake went on and off with every bump in the road. Make for a challenging ride.
Good point.
Old 11-16-13, 02:50 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have a '98 Stumpjumper I bought earlier this year. It was brand new in the box, never fully assembled. $350, pretty good deal. LX/XT, Grip Shift X-ray's, Mavic 221 rims, Specialized Team Control tires and I believe the only year for the A1 frame.

Old 11-16-13, 04:12 PM
WheelTired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, a NOS Specialized Stumpy.

Today's Pickup.......
Posting this because I had no idea a Pro Flex Hybrid existed.....I have its Mutant twin in the 26" version.
So, here she is along with its original Bill Of Sale from 1992 :-)....not so sure the guy ever rode it.

Old 11-16-13, 05:34 PM
enjoybikes

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the first other of these I've seen in six years of having mine. I picked up one at a coop and has been my main commuter since. Love the steel and the colors. Unique. Does yours say 16th Anniversary Hoo Koo e Koo? 1991 as far as I can gather, team colors maybe.

dave

[/QUOT
Old 11-16-13, 07:08 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I have a '98 Stumpjumper I bought earlier this year. It was brand new in the box, never fully assembled. $350, pretty good deal. LX/XT, Grip Shift X-ray's, Mavic 221 rims, Specialized Team Control tires and I believe the only year for the A1 frame.

WOW, now that is a time capsule...a true beauty!!!
Old 11-16-13, 07:33 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
WOW, now that is a time capsule...a true beauty!!!
+1

Love to find one, for sure.
Old 11-16-13, 09:32 PM
cyclotoine

Must have been a real treat pulling that out of the box. The tires are awesome. i would love to have an NOS set of those. i think it's a '96.
Old 11-17-13, 05:28 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Must have been a real treat pulling that out of the box. The tires are awesome. i would love to have an NOS set of those. i think it's a '96.
I almost felt bad taking it out of the box haha. Even worse getting it dirty for the first time but it is a sweet ride. Been keeping an eye out for a NOS Manitou SX or Marzocchi Bomber with a canti cable hanger to upgrade the Quadra 21. Or even an almost new one but they are getting harder to come across. Seen a few Judy's but I never liked those forks back in the day.
Old 11-17-13, 02:17 PM
neo_pop_71

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I almost felt bad taking it out of the box haha. Even worse getting it dirty for the first time but it is a sweet ride. Been keeping an eye out for a NOS Manitou SX or Marzocchi Bomber with a canti cable hanger to upgrade the Quadra 21. Or even an almost new one but they are getting harder to come across. Seen a few Judy's but I never liked those forks back in the day.
What about a White Brothers SC70UL fork?

It would be period correct and the proper travel for your Stumpy... nice gold accent for the frame decals too.

I have one on my '93 Barracuda A2Limited, it's not exactly period correct, but the gold fork legs work perfectly with the gold/white frame. White Brothers moved from SoCal to Colorado, their suspension tech still has internal parts for the fork, the rest are standard o-rings and such that can be found at any decent hardware store. It's nice to have a fork that doesn't require specialty or outdated parts! The White Brother forks are under the radar, I picked up one earlier this year for under $50.00 on Ebay... not too bad for a fork that cost $600.00 new!
Attached Images
WhiteBrosSC70UL.jpg (61.8 KB, 209 views)
smCUDA2.jpg (37.0 KB, 208 views)
Old 11-17-13, 11:07 PM
pedalnmetal

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have this same exact bike - 1991 1/2 HooKooEKoo Anniversary edition - always loved the colors. I bought it new in 1992 as my first 'real' bike and it's still in pretty good condition. But I'm sad to say that one of the rear canti mounts cracked and bent last year when it got knocked really hard. I've looked into getting it fixed but have been told it'd take some welding and need a repaint, which I'm not prepared to invest in despite the sentimentality. So, I'm probably going to try to sell it as a local commuter with one set of working brakes. But in all these years I've only seen a handful of other ones around ...

Originally Posted by enjoybikes
This is the first other of these I've seen in six years of having mine. I picked up one at a coop and has been my main commuter since. Love the steel and the colors. Unique. Does yours say 16th Anniversary Hoo Koo e Koo? 1991 as far as I can gather, team colors maybe.

dave

[/QUOT
Old 11-17-13, 11:36 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Hard for me to think about any mountain bike being ether vintage or classic. Being an old guy... we had no mountain (or BMX) bikes when I was young. I only recently started looking in the direction of mountain bicycles as a way of extending my road cycling season into a little snow and gravel grinding. So at one of the last yard sales of the season... I spotted a glimpse of an old mountain bike while I was cycling.

My road bicycle is a modern Fuji... so when I saw this old mountain bike was also I knew we had found each other. I even like the color. It only required new tubes and tires.... and LOTS of soapy water.

BTW.... I am riding it much more than I thought I might!
Attached Images
PA150138.jpg (92.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 11-17-13, 11:55 PM
Valvefloater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-18-13, 01:11 AM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by Valvefloater
Dude. Sweet.
Old 11-18-13, 01:59 AM
neo_pop_71

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Hard for me to think about any mountain bike being ether vintage or classic. Being an old guy... we had no mountain (or BMX) bikes when I was young. I only recently started looking in the direction of mountain bicycles as a way of extending my road cycling season into a little snow and gravel grinding. So at one of the last yard sales of the season... I spotted a glimpse of an old mountain bike while I was cycling.

My road bicycle is a modern Fuji... so when I saw this old mountain bike was also I knew we had found each other. I even like the color. It only required new tubes and tires.... and LOTS of soapy water.

BTW.... I am riding it much more than I thought I might!
Hey Dave,

Very nice score you found! I'm intrigued by the black BioPace crank and the black seat post, looks like the designers at Fuji went the extra mile on the aethetics! What is the tubing sticker on the frame? I'm curious about the components and what model (I can't quite make it out in the photo). How does it handle?

Thanks for sharing!

-D-
Old 11-18-13, 06:44 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Very nice score you found! I'm intrigued by the black BioPace crank and the black seat post, looks like the designers at Fuji went the extra mile on the aethetics! What is the tubing sticker on the frame? I'm curious about the components and what model (I can't quite make it out in the photo). How does it handle? -D-
It has a "Discovery" decal on the top tube, and everything appears very original. It was grimy-filthy but no wear to speak of. It has a seat tube sticker that reads: CO-MO tapered double butted TANGE. The seat post itself reads: Sake TCO sport. The derailleurs are exage 400LX and the shifters are (3X7) Shimano two-lever brake combo.

It rides solid. Compared to a road bike.... it is very tire heavy... but maneuvers fine.
Old 11-18-13, 06:51 AM
fixed1313

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalnmetal
I have this same exact bike - 1991 1/2 HooKooEKoo Anniversary edition - always loved the colors. I bought it new in 1992 as my first 'real' bike and it's still in pretty good condition. But I'm sad to say that one of the rear canti mounts cracked and bent last year when it got knocked really hard. I've looked into getting it fixed but have been told it'd take some welding and need a repaint, which I'm not prepared to invest in despite the sentimentality. So, I'm probably going to try to sell it as a local commuter with one set of working brakes. But in all these years I've only seen a handful of other ones around ...
Maybe you thought about this but................ from this pic ( I know it is not your bike, but the same as yours), the rear canti mounts are in a black area of the paint, get the mount fixed and just rattle can the affected area. If it spreads into the other color do your best to blend with red / pink and cover it all with some clear. At least you would still have your bike around and at riding speed nobody would know.
Old 11-18-13, 11:35 AM
pedalnmetal

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixed1313
Maybe you thought about this but................ from this pic ( I know it is not your bike, but the same as yours), the rear canti mounts are in a black area of the paint, get the mount fixed and just rattle can the affected area. If it spreads into the other color do your best to blend with red / pink and cover it all with some clear. At least you would still have your bike around and at riding speed nobody would know.

thanks for the thoughts. yep, i've thought about that approach... but despite the sentimentality of the bike, i'm not sure i want to invest in fixing it. i have too many other (nicer) 'vintage' MTBs that could use the time / money instead, so i think i may just let it go. btw, someone suggested a while back that i could use the Problem Solvers canti stud repair kit, but when i mentioned that to a few LBSs, some of them said not to do because they didn't think it's be safe. plus, i'd still need to get someone else to remove / tap the broken mount for that ... and again, i'm not sure i'd want to invest in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.