Ms 150

Old 03-14-14, 08:47 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I've signed up for the MS150 and am looking forward to it. I've wanted to ride it for the past 7 years but personal events have prevented it each year until now. I've signed on with a Houston-based team, Team Fugro, a team with about 80+ riders. I got attached to them through a friend here in Austin who's ridden with them for the past several years. It's a little strange to be with a non-local team since my friend will be the only person I'll know when we attend the Friday-night carb loading dinner with the team at the Omni. Oh well...meet new people, make new friends, right?

I'm planning to take the MS150 bus from Austin to Houston Friday, check into my hotel (Courtyard on I-10), then walk over to the Omni for our team dinner. After dinner, I'll walk over to Tully Stadium to retrieve my bike because my friend is starting the ride from the Omni and I have to drop my stuff at the team truck for transport to La Grange.

Training has been going well, although the February weather prevented me from doing some of the longer weekend rides I'd planned. I just made of my 5-weeks-to-go training plan and was happy to see that it was practically identical to the training schedule posted on the MS150 web site.

Good luck to everyone!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 03-14-14, 09:34 AM
aaronreyna

Bikes: 2014 Felt F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my third year to ride the MS150. The first year 2012 we had a very bad headwind into La Grange. Last year 2013 wasn't bad at all. I did have some bike issues day 2, but I wasn't paying attention and hit some rumble strips LOL.

Over all its a great ride. If you are a slower rider, be prepared for "on your left" alot! But its not a race, so don't worry about it.

I'm riding with Team Fluor. My riding buddy and best friend is an employee. We have a volunteer on our team who's sister was diagnosed with MS and because of this organization she kept her sister around for another 6 years before she passed. So the team is very passionate about the cause.

I'm super excited about this year, I just bought a new bike!! Of course I had to buy my wife a new truck, using my old car, and I inherited her old car... But hey happy wife, happy life. Just got a Felt F5 with 105, my first carbon bike.

If you see three team fluor guys riding (a big white guy, an asian, and a mexican guy) or at a rest stop either day, stop and say hi. We ride a Felt AR5 and Felt F5.

LOL like we're going to run into each other.

Just have fun when you're riding! See you guys day two on the challenge course!!!!

Last edited by aaronreyna; 03-14-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 11:35 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Dstrong,

I have done that same thing (riding with a team I have never met) and it is not a big deal. Just get your friend to introduce you to a few who ride around your pace and try to eat with them at the team dinner if you can. If not, there will be 13,000 other brand new riding buddies to meet out on the road. Good luck and thanks to all of you for riding!
Old 03-14-14, 06:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
We're mostly worried about making the 83 miles the first day. I've done almost 50 before but it hurt. But I also wasn't properly nutritionalized, or hydrated. My wife hasn't biked at all yet, since she's been finishing her thesis. But shes finally done so we're hopefully going to get out and get her as ready as we can - weather permitting. She also has a knee issue, so we're a little worried.
I wanted to do like 50+ miles tomorrow but it's supposed to thunderstorm.
We're riding on our company's team, but it's small, only about 15 people and we don't have a big tent. we're each bringing our own tents and camping together i guess. (not a big company).

The whole event seems pretty awesome, and were excited, but I think the $400 or they kick you out is crap.
Old 03-15-14, 09:31 AM
dstrong 

The weather has definitely thrown a wrench into my training. Had 4 hours planned for the this morning but woke up to wet roads and now it's full on raining. Not sure if I'll get an opening later today or not. Since we haven't really warmed up yet in central Texas, it's possible one of the bigger issues could be if it's a hot weekend...acclimating to the heat is something that takes time so we'll see what happens.

Old 03-15-14, 11:09 AM
aaronreyna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a short 20 in this morning, made it back to the truck as it started sprinkling. Plan on riding 60 tomorrow.

Yea, I'm not a fan of the fundraising either, but they have to do what they have to do. I want to do the Bike around the Bay also, that crosses the Fred Hartman Bridge, the Kemah Bridge and the causeway in Galveston, but I already do the MS ride which requires fundraising and the Tour De Pink which also requires fundraising. Asking for money from folks three times a year is too much... Twice a year is pushing it LOL.

There is a MS training ride tomorrow (Tour De Houston). Perhaps you (the sci guy) and your wife should get out and ride that. Rain or shine it will give you saddle time and rain experience if it does rain.

I remember a few years back they actually canceled day 1 because of bad thunderstorms etc. But that was the first time in many years.
Old 03-15-14, 04:20 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by aaronreyna
I got a short 20 in this morning, made it back to the truck as it started sprinkling. Plan on riding 60 tomorrow.

Yea, I'm not a fan of the fundraising either, but they have to do what they have to do. I want to do the Bike around the Bay also, that crosses the Fred Hartman Bridge, the Kemah Bridge and the causeway in Galveston, but I already do the MS ride which requires fundraising and the Tour De Pink which also requires fundraising. Asking for money from folks three times a year is too much... Twice a year is pushing it LOL.

There is a MS training ride tomorrow (Tour De Houston). Perhaps you (the sci guy) and your wife should get out and ride that. Rain or shine it will give you saddle time and rain experience if it does rain.

I remember a few years back they actually canceled day 1 because of bad thunderstorms etc. But that was the first time in many years.
Check out the Houston Area Rides thread I made here in this sub-forum.
My wife and I are both doing the Tour de Houston tomorrow. Looking forward to it! I hope the weather holds. We're only doing the 40 though since she doesn't even know if she can make it that far and I'm not going to leave her behind. I probably could have done the 60 if I really pushed myself.
Thinking of doing the Bluebonnet Express in Waller next weekend, and doing the 55 mile route.

I understand about the fundraising, and I have no problem with it, I just wish the minimum wasn't so high, and that you are literally black listed from ever doing it again if you don't reach $400. I've been pulling teeth with friends and family and I'm still $100 below the minimum, my wife even further.
Old 03-15-14, 07:53 PM
Donald D

Bikes: Schwinn Moab, Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
The weather has definitely thrown a wrench into my training. Had 4 hours planned for the this morning but woke up to wet roads and now it's full on raining. Not sure if I'll get an opening later today or not. Since we haven't really warmed up yet in central Texas, it's possible one of the bigger issues could be if it's a hot weekend...acclimating to the heat is something that takes time so we'll see what happens.
You should have come out to play this morning. It wasn't too bad as long as you had lights and a jacket. I put in 65 between Creedmoor, Buda, and downtown and the best part was NO issues from drivers.

Not sure if you do any of the local training rides but Pedal Thru the Pines was pretty good last week (although wet). Rosedale is this coming Saturday and I think Spokes n' Spurs is the weekend before the MS. My friends and I use the rides to assist with training for the MS.
Old 03-16-14, 02:51 PM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did the Pedal Through The Pines, what a great ride! I drove up from Houston & stayed in LaGrange which turned out to be a good decision as I-10 got shut down an hour after I went through & it would have made a morning drive-in next to impossible. The hills in Bastrop park are amazing.
Old 03-16-14, 04:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

beautiful amazing or kick your ass amazing
Old 03-16-14, 08:12 PM
bkj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
beautiful amazing or kick your ass amazing
the latter. You will use all your gears.
Old 03-17-14, 10:50 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
The whole event seems pretty awesome, and were excited, but I think the $400 or they kick you out is crap.
I know it caused alot of bad feelings when they first implemented the $400 minimum, but it came about mostly due to the restriction on the number of riders. TxDOT limits them to 13,000 riders due to some of the roads we go down and the amount of traffic chaos the ride causes in the places we pass through. Also, construction at the fairgrounds in LaGrange has limited the available space there as well. Given that the event is first and foremost a fundraiser for the National MS Society, they put into place the minimum to make sure that people signing up and taking up the limited number of spots in the ride actually did raise funds for the cause. Up to that point, they annually had a lot of people sign up early to get a spot, and then never ride or raise any funds, or ride and take up resources, but not fundraise. Meanwhile, there were others wanting to ride and raise funds who were unable to get a spot. It really isn't that hard to raise $400...just put up a sign beside your desk and ask coworkers. Put a link to your donation page at the bottom of your email signature. Ask for donations instead of birthday presents from family.

The great part about the ride is that you don't really have to ride 83 miles...you have to ride about 10-11 miles 8 times. The breakpoints are frequent enough and you can grab some food and refill your bottles and get back on for another 10 mile ride. If you break it down in your mind like that, it becomes much more manageable mentally. Nothing but saddle time will really make it more manageable on your back side though...Good Luck!
Old 03-17-14, 10:54 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you are looking for a good hill training group ride, the Head for the Hills ride in Chappell Hill next weekend is a very good one. Lots of good hills that are as hard or harder than what will be in the MS150 and hopefully some prime wildflower viewing as well.
Old 03-17-14, 04:49 PM
aaronreyna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys keep mentioning this Head for the Hills ride in Chappell Hill...makes me regret that I signed up for the Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge next weekend in Baytown.
Old 03-18-14, 06:54 AM
msd3075

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by txags92
The great part about the ride is that you don't really have to ride 83 miles...you have to ride about 10-11 miles 8 times. The breakpoints are frequent enough and you can grab some food and refill your bottles and get back on for another 10 mile ride. If you break it down in your mind like that, it becomes much more manageable mentally. Nothing but saddle time will really make it more manageable on your back side though...Good Luck!

Absolutely invaluable advice to anyone that has never ridden in the MS150 before and/or attempted to ride that many miles in one day.

Thinking about getting to the next rest stop not only helps it seem manageable but also helps time go by a lot faster. It also helps you enjoy each stage and feel like you accomplished something along the ride.
Old 04-03-14, 09:28 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My bike failed inspection last night.

I took it to Planetary Cycles 2 weeks ago to get a spoke replaced and asked them to check it out for the MS 150 (they aren't doing official inspections). They replaced the rear brake pads and adjusted the front derailleur and said it was good to go. So last night I went to the Saint Arnold team inspection party expecting it to pass, but they told me it needs a new chain, new cassette and new handlebar tape.

Now I'm not sure where I can get all of that done and inspected before the ride.

Any advice?
Old 04-03-14, 09:50 AM
dstrong 

Those seem like an odd set of components to warrant failing the inspection. Who was actually doing the inspection? Was it a shop that was just trying to sell parts and services? Do you have an opportunity to take it to a different shop that does inspections to see if they might pass it? If they don't, they will have the parts you need right there and will be able to make the repairs and then give you the sticker.

Oddly enough...I just ordered a new chain and cassette from Nashbar and they'll arrive on Saturday. Both components are just plain old and need replacing. I also just replaced my bar tape a few weeks ago when I re-did some brake/shifter cabling. The total tab for the chain and cassette was $87. My guess is the shop price for a new chain, cassette and bar tape would be about $150 depending on the components.

I took my bike to a shop in Austin 3 weeks ago. I do all my own wrenching plus I do a few weird things with my cable routings, so I was expecting them to hem and haw about that. The mechanic threw it up on the stand, ran it through all the gears, made a small adjustment to the front derailleur and then said "Well...the tires look a little worn and your back wheel could use some truing". Then she took it off the stand and looked at the brakes and discovered that the rear brake cable housing was too short so that when the bars were turned hard light, the rear brakes engaged. I managed to convince her and her shop manager that I would remedy those things and they just shrugged, said "okay" and stuck a sticker on my stem.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-14, 10:27 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks. The inspection was done by Bicycle World of Houston. They didn't offer to fix it, and when I called today to see if they could schedule me they couldn't guarantee that they could fix it before the ride. I'm about to take it to Houston Cycling Centres and get them to fix it. The handlebar tape is torn up a bit, and I knew the chain was worn. These are good repairs to have, and I would try to do them myself if I had more time. I'm still a novice.
Old 04-03-14, 10:31 AM
bkj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new handlebar tape? Seriously? to ride in a charity event?
Old 04-03-14, 11:52 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised by that. It is pretty torn up, but not in the places where my hands go. New tape will be nice. Sigh.
Old 04-04-14, 07:17 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by bkj
new handlebar tape? Seriously? to ride in a charity event?
Hey, didn't get your text until late last night. training is good. haven't done a long ride since bluebonnet, but a few short rides with the wife. we're looking forward to it. met with the team last night and got our packets and swag. going to start from waller. you still owe me a GBP/THP out and back ride out here
Old 04-04-14, 08:39 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden a number of MS150s in central Indiana and once traveled to Texas for the Houston to Austin ride.

My biggest surprises on the Texas ride were that we covered about 85miles the first day instead of the 75 I planned for and there were lots more hills and more wind than I expected. The lesson for me was to study the route distance and terrain for each day and train accordingly.

A pleasant surprise at the end of day 1 was the tent for receiving a complimentary massage. I truly needed relief after riding more miles than expected on a borrowed mountain bike with knobby tires. A friend (?) provided the bike, and I wasn't about to reject it after traveling from Indiana to Houston for the event.

The MS150s support a wonderful charity to help find new treatments and patient support programs. Have fun and raise lots of money!!

Last edited by SwampDude; 04-04-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 08:55 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msd3075
Absolutely invaluable advice to anyone that has never ridden in the MS150 before and/or attempted to ride that many miles in one day.

Thinking about getting to the next rest stop not only helps it seem manageable but also helps time go by a lot faster. It also helps you enjoy each stage and feel like you accomplished something along the ride.
Your statement is true, but 83 miles in a day with hills is a challenge that shouldn't be understated. Its a real test for one's legs and sitter that should be appropriately prepared for.
Old 04-04-14, 08:59 AM
dstrong 

SwampDude...that's pretty gutsy to ride the MS150 on a borrowed bike without really knowing the route! The route I'm taking starts from Katy TX, which makes the first day an even 100 miles. The second day is either 77 or 66 miles depending on the route chosen. I'll see how I feel when I wake up Sunday morning. The 77 mile route is very hilly for the first 30 miles then flattens out bit for the final stretch into Austin. So it technically will be either the MS177 or MS166 for me! I will certainly have cash available for the masseuses!

I was starting to get concerned about the ride until last weekend when I did 80 and 60 mile rides on Saturday and sunday. I felt pretty good at the end of both days so now I'm a lot more comfortable about the upcoming event. I plan to do 80 miles tomorrow and then maybe a recovery ride on Sunday and then ride one more time on Wednesday for an hour or two.

I was really happy with my legs and cardio...most of my concern was with some chafing problems I was having with my bibs...and I ended up having to get a new saddle last week too. That's a risky change to make this close to an event but it appears to all be working out.

Old 04-04-14, 09:38 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think I'm going to start in Katy at Rhodes Stadium. The MS 150 site says it starts at 6:45 am. What time should I plan to get to the stadium?

Getting ready for this is starting to feel like more work than actually doing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.