Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 10 Speed index down tube shifter conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 09:22 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

How to Convert Campagnolo 10 speed bar shifters to Down tube. Some of these pictures are from the net some are mine, the result is the same.

Start with some 10 speed index bar ends. Remove them from the pods save everything except the pods and shifter post. Removing the rubber covers will expose very nice Campagnolo Shifters. Very similar looking to 8 speed down tube shifters. The 10 speed have better internal G- springs.

The only item you need are some shifter stops from most any C-Record area DT shifter. NOte, the stop have to be at the mid way point of the square. Earlier stops like NR/SR will not work they are too small and have the stop in the wrong position. I used the ones on the right.

Put the new shifter stop plate on.

Then the same brass washer and both small thin washers from the bar end shifter

Then slide on the bar end shifter.

Use the same screw plate from the bar end shifter, some of you may not want to use the rubber "O" ring I didn't.

Install the screw plate assy.

Installed, right side.

Same for the left side, stop plate and then everything that came off the left bar end.

My install on the CIOCC, works great. No missed gears, shifts perfect.

Last edited by Michael Angelo; 12-04-14 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For Michael Angelo:
Old 11-29-14, 09:44 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Thank you, pretty straightforward. The cost is the backing plates from a C Record earlier index shifter set... Besides the 10 speed bar end shifters, I guess one could take the other parts and create a lower count bar end shifter set?
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-29-14, 11:00 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Stop plates from any C-Record era shift lever will work. You could put 8-9 speed index rings in the levers too.
Old 11-29-14, 12:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Pretty slick -- thanks for posting.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-29-14, 06:57 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Pretty slick -- thanks for posting.
Yep, slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.
Likes For photogravity:
Old 11-29-14, 07:01 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Very cool hack!!
Is that extra knob some sort of micro-adjuster?
Old 11-29-14, 07:16 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Very cool hack!!
Is that extra knob some sort of micro-adjuster?
Yes

I kept my set from my ill-conceived [for me] TT rig. Now I know how to put them to good use.
Old 12-04-14, 06:28 PM
Michael Angelo 

You can also use this open style of stop plate. Just make sure the stop is at the midway point of the square.
Old 08-15-15, 06:34 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bumping old thread.
Old 08-15-15, 07:14 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Missed this thread first time around. Yes, great fix, MA. I only have one other comment. In those pics, your finger nails are too clean, man! How do you do that?
Old 08-15-15, 08:47 AM
Michael Angelo 

i have finger nail brushes at work and at home. Being an Automotive technician for more than 40 years, getting your hands clean becomes an art form.
Likes For Michael Angelo:
Old 06-17-19, 10:08 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Campagnolo bar end shifter to DT

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
How to Convert Campagnolo 10 speed bar shifters to Down tube. Some of these pictures are from the net some are mine, the result is the same.

Start with some 10 speed index bar ends. Remove them from the pods save everything except the pods and shifter post. Removing the rubber covers will expose very nice Campagnolo Shifters. Very similar looking to 8 speed down tube shifters. The 10 speed have better internal G- springs.

The only item you need are some shifter stops from most any C-Record area DT shifter. NOte, the stop have to be at the mid way point of the square. Earlier stops like NR/SR will not work they are too small and have the stop in the wrong position. I used the ones on the right.

Put the new shifter stop plate on.

Then the same brass washer and both small thin washers from the bar end shifter

Then slide on the bar end shifter.

Use the same screw plate from the bar end shifter, some of you may not want to use the rubber "O" ring I didn't.

Install the screw plate assy.

Installed, right side.

Same for the left side, stop plate and then everything that came off the left bar end.

My install on the CIOCC, works great. No missed gears, shifts perfect.

Hi , many thank,s for the pics. I have 1 question n the pic # 4 the brass washer have 2 diferent faces , witch one go to the frame ? many thank,s.
Likes For brooklyn6640:
Old 06-17-19, 05:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
My conversion went well and works grandly. Opens up a whole new search for Campy brake levers.

Just remember, it's not just 10-sp. It will shift that interval all the way around the shifter boss. If I just had, say a 140 rear, I could get a bunch of 10-sp spacers and cogs, and maybe have a 2x15, downtube shifting, perfectly working..... Ha.

I think it's been asked before, but can the innards from those 10-sp shifters go into the Synchros?
Old 06-17-19, 09:02 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Most of the stuff get answered here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...retro-fun.html
Old 06-20-19, 12:30 PM
Michael Angelo 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My conversion went well and works grandly. Opens up a whole new search for Campy brake levers.

Just remember, it's not just 10-sp. It will shift that interval all the way around the shifter boss. If I just had, say a 140 rear, I could get a bunch of 10-sp spacers and cogs, and maybe have a 2x15, downtube shifting, perfectly working..... Ha.

I think it's been asked before, but can the innards from those 10-sp shifters go into the Synchros?
later 8-9-10 speed DT shifters are not Synchro.
Old 06-20-19, 02:39 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
No, they are not, but/and as I wrote in the post I linked to above the insert fits into the syncro shifters - they just do not index strong enough to work properly. You will need the three spring shifters a la 8 speed Veloce or 9/10 speed bar end shifters for the conversion. Or do the 10 speed syncro hybrid sollution I did - if you want a 10 speed index with a friction option.
Old 06-21-19, 12:15 PM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all,

I have modeled and 3D printed the spacers to fill empty Ergo levers for a do-it-yourself (and not spend $250 on eBay) Campagnolo brake-only levers. I modeled them after a set I pulled out of what was marketed as TT brake levers back in that day. They're not the cheapest part (the store is not mine, but from a buddy, and the printer charges for the amount of material used), BUT they're still WAY cheaper than those original levers are going for. I'll do a separate post with the store link once the modifications are made and ready!

I'm currently running this 10v downtube shifter on 3 bikes. They all shift great. Braking is with Delta's. Two with these modded Ergo's and one with the vintage Record levers for Deltas.
Old 06-21-19, 01:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

So I guess the answer to my question as to whether they'll fit is uh...No.
Bummer. I was envisioning another couple of 10-sp setups....using my Synchro shells.
Old 06-21-19, 01:31 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by mrjav
Hi all,

I have modeled and 3D printed the spacers to fill empty Ergo levers for a do-it-yourself (and not spend $250 on eBay) Campagnolo brake-only levers. I modeled them after a set I pulled out of what was marketed as TT brake levers back in that day. They're not the cheapest part (the store is not mine, but from a buddy, and the printer charges for the amount of material used), BUT they're still WAY cheaper than those original levers are going for. I'll do a separate post with the store link once the modifications are made and ready!

I'm currently running this 10v downtube shifter on 3 bikes. They all shift great. Braking is with Delta's. Two with these modded Ergo's and one with the vintage Record levers for Deltas.
Very cool. Reading your post, thought the spacing was off.

When I read it again, I understood it. Great tip. I'll keep that info in mind.
Old 12-24-22, 12:32 PM
nenad

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

Bumping the thread to share additional info. If you are having trouble finding the C-Record / Syncro era DT stop plates, those from Suntour Cyclone DT shifters will work with a bit of modification:

and they sit flush with the frame so look very nice, too. Also, Dia Compe's might get the job done but haven't tried them:

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m...Gears_-_Spares

The second topic, and this is why I quoted the post above, has anyone tried the shifters with 11 speed and how did that go? I think 12 speed might be too big of a stretch but did anyone got it to work with 11 speed cassette and chain?
Old 12-25-22, 07:57 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by nenad
The second topic, and this is why I quoted the post above, has anyone tried the shifters with 11 speed and how did that go? I think 12 speed might be too big of a stretch but did anyone got it to work with 11 speed cassette and chain?
I can’t get my head around this; do you mean 11 speed indexed? There isn’t an 11 speed shifter insert, so the spacings of the 10 speed insert won’t marry up with an 11 or 12 speed cassette. If you mean friction shifting, then sure, that will work. You just need a dual mode shifter as per @styggno1 ‘s conversion: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1128040-campag-10v-down-tube-shifter-retro-fun.html
Old 12-26-22, 04:45 PM
nenad

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I can’t get my head around this; do you mean 11 speed indexed? There isn’t an 11 speed shifter insert, so the spacings of the 10 speed insert won’t marry up with an 11 or 12 speed cassette. If you mean friction shifting, then sure, that will work. You just need a dual mode shifter as per @styggno1 ‘s conversion: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...retro-fun.html
Yes, that, because clicks are there. It's a hack but I wondered if anyone played with it...because 10 and 11 speed cassette still go to the same type of freehub...the difference in spacing isn't that big.
It's a long shot, to be sure...
Likes For nenad:
Old 03-31-24, 09:23 PM
tkm

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts

Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has a set of these shifter stops kicking around in their spare parts bin that they'd be willing to sell. Based on this thread, I'm going to be doing this with a set of 10 speed campy bar end shifters on my vintage frame.

Thanks.