Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

How much do fatter rims affect tire size?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 02:39 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

My bike has 50mm wide rims and 2.125" Felt "Circuit" tires. The tires on these rims come in at 63mm at the widest point, which is almost 2.5 inches. I don't know if that's just standard tire sizing variance, or due to the rims. They seem heavy and slow to me, so I'm looking for something fat and fast, but I think most manufactures post sizes based on narrower rims. I have ~1.5cm clearance between these tires and fenders at all points. What size range do you think I should be looking at? Any chance I could fit a tire labeled at 2.5", or would that likely be too big? I'd like to go as big as possible.
Old 12-16-14, 03:20 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Seating wider tyres on the widest rim possible improves their performance... using too narrow a rim pinches the tyre inwards at the bead and at lower pressures the tyre can become squirmy while running the same tyre on a wider rim allows for better performance at lower psi.

There was a trend when mtb rims were almost as narrow as road rims but ran wider tyres, although a narrower rim works well on a skinny road tyre to lower drag, mounting a fatter tyre on these skinnier rims eliminated that advantage due to the greater frontal area.

Although a wider tyre will increase drag by a small amount, a well designed tyre with better tread compounds and a well made casing can still roll out rather quickly.