Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Diamondback serial numbers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 11:17 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Is there a source somewhere that can tell me the age of a Diamondback from its serial number? The guy at my LBS says it's somewhere between 1990 and 1994, but I'd like to pin it down if I can. The number in question is: T4133774
Likes For mswantak:
Old 08-08-05, 03:24 PM
simplify
ride, paint, ride

Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, did you ever get any more info on your Diamondback's age? I just bought an old Diamondback Axis chromoly non-suspension, I am almost certain that it is a 1991 model (because it has cup and cone bottom bracket and they went to cartridge in 1992), and my serial number starts with a U. So if they went in alphabetical order, yours may be a 1990 or 1991? If you have Shimano components on it, and if they are the original components, this page might help you a lot to date your bike: https://firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm
Old 01-06-15, 11:18 PM
cyberbikerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Diamond Back Topanga (non-suspension) that I got from a friend. According to the labels on the bike it was distributed exclusively by WSI of Camarillo CA, 93010. It is "Avenir equipped" and a "CR-MO steel fork blade." It has "4130 CR-MO Main Tubing." It is the color black and it says made in Taiwan. The Serial Number is: J90414513. What year is my Diamond Back Topanga and which model is it? Anyone?

Last edited by cyberbikerman; 01-06-15 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-07-15, 09:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
Some companies have a date code within their serial numbers, some don't and instead have a factory and production run code. Since a brand might have used three or more different factories (especially a brand like Diamondback which isn't a manufacturer) during any one year producing it's line up tracking for recall reasons is more important then for model year. Most modern bikes are dated by the specs, usually found by old sales info. Color, parts specs, frame construction styles all are strong indicators when compared with a brochure or photos. Andy.
Old 01-07-15, 10:28 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Diamond Back began in Camarillo, CA. It eventually was swallowed up by one of the mega companies and Diamondback became one word around '97. It's pretty easy to figure the age by the components. The Shimano crankset should have a date code and, assuming it is original, that should give you a good idea of the year. Post a pic, that can help as well. I've had a lot of DBs over the years (I live 20 minutes from Camarillo) and currently have 5. I know 2 of the '92s have serial numbers beginning with "U" and at least one '92 starts with a different letter but can't remember what it is at the moment.

You can also post in Classic and Vintage. Lots of knowledge on older bikes over there.
Likes For CACycling:
Old 11-18-19, 05:37 PM
Disbman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CACycling
Diamond Back began in Camarillo, CA. It eventually was swallowed up by one of the mega companies and Diamondback became one word around '97. It's pretty easy to figure the age by the components. The Shimano crankset should have a date code and, assuming it is original, that should give you a good idea of the year. Post a pic, that can help as well. I've had a lot of DBs over the years (I live 20 minutes from Camarillo) and currently have 5. I know 2 of the '92s have serial numbers beginning with "U" and at least one '92 starts with a different letter but can't remember what it is at the moment.

You can also post in Classic and Vintage. Lots of knowledge on older bikes over there.
Diamond Back bikes started in Kent Washington in the 70's after swapping from producing bikes in Japan they started making bikes in Taiwan and China and then sold the company to Raleigh bikes I believe but that one I am not 100% on
Likes For Disbman:
Old 11-19-19, 02:53 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Diamondback history from Wikipedia:

Diamondback Bicycles was founded as a BMX brand in 1977 by Western States Imports in Newbury Park, California, which sold bikes under the Centurion (bicycle) brand. Early in its history, the brand name was "Diamond Back" and over time this changed to "DiamondBack" and then to "Diamondback." Beginning in 1990, Western States Imports started selling its mountain bikes and road bicycles under the Diamondback name as well. Since 1979, many riders have successfully competed under the sponsorship of Diamondback, which began with BMX and expanded to Mountain Bikes with the creation of Diamondback Racing (DBR) in 1993.

In 1999, Diamondback Bicycles was purchased by the Derby Cycle Corporation, which also owned the Raleigh Bicycle Company, and merged Raleigh and Diamondback together. In 2001, Derby Cycle Corporation sold Raleigh and Diamondback. In August 2019 Accell Group sold Diamondback to Regent, L.P

I sold a lot of their bikes back in the "Raleigh era," and still ride one of them. I always had good responses whenever I needed to contact them about any issue.

Try placing an inquiry with the company via the "Contact Us" option on the diamondback.com web page. You might also contact Derby Cycle who still make the Euro Raleigh.
Old 03-25-20, 04:40 AM
bdczkdc0803

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamond back ?

The serial number is f4084699 I'm just trying to find out what year it is or what it may be worth. Thanks

my diamond back
Old 03-25-20, 04:43 AM
bdczkdc0803

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P

Painting a old diamond back frame. Should I or no. Will it hurt the vaule much or what can someone please lmk anything u may know about it. I tried to post pics but gotta make 10 post first where I'm new.
Old 03-25-20, 07:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by bdczkdc0803
Painting a old diamond back frame. Should I or no. Will it hurt the vaule much or what can someone please lmk anything u may know about it. I tried to post pics but gotta make 10 post first where I'm new.
Frankly, Diamondback frames, even older ones, have little to no collectors value and you can paint it anything you like. There is a "C&V" forum here that deals with older and collectable bikes and they may have more information but I expect you aren't hurting any value.
Old 03-25-20, 09:33 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Found this from another site for Diamondback bikes although this doesn't seem to apply to the 2005 OP's frame.

"The first 2 or 3 characters are usually letters. This identifies the frame factory (the frame factory is not usually the same as the brand). In many cases a Diamondback frame will show either ACs (Accell, the current owner of the brand) or K* (Kinesis, another big bicycle frame builder). There are other variations for other brands (Schwinn and GT frames usually start with SN).

The next 2 to 4 numbers tend to be the date of manufacture. 0911 would generally mean November 2009, but then again, there are variations.

The final 4 numbers is usually the production sequence... where that particular frame falls in the entire day production which may include several different types of frames."

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-25-20 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-26-20, 05:35 AM
bdczkdc0803

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My

So u don't think the bike I have has much vaule I found one just like it for like 900$
Old 03-26-20, 08:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by bdczkdc0803
So u don't think the bike I have has much vaule I found one just like it for like 900$
Where was that? Did the seller actually get $900 or was it just an absurd listing?
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-13-20, 02:43 AM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Bikes: DiamondBack 20-in

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How or where can I post my DB serial number to find out year and model I think it i?

Originally Posted by mswantak
Is there a source somewhere that can tell me the age of a Diamondback from its serial number? The guy at my LBS says it's somewhere between 1990 and 1994, but I'd like to pin it down if I can. The number in question is: T4133774
I'm trying to figure out where and how to post a thre ad about how I can find out what year and model my DB is by the serial number can anyone help?
Old 09-13-20, 02:48 AM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I post a question or thread? Can you please help?

Originally Posted by CACycling

Can anyone please help me out on how to post a question about my DB serial number?ty
Old 09-13-20, 02:59 AM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Diamondback serial number

Originally Posted by JOSHUASTJOHN
Can anyone please help me out on how to post a question about my DB serial number?ty
My DB serial number is ACS 7A06717 can anyone tell me what year and model? Thanks
Old 09-17-20, 03:15 PM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Diamondback serial number

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Found this from another site for Diamondback bikes although this doesn't seem to apply to the 2005 OP's frame.

"The first 2 or 3 characters are usually letters. This identifies the frame factory (the frame factory is not usually the same as the brand). In many cases a Diamondback frame will show either ACs (Accell, the current owner of the brand) or K* (Kinesis, another big bicycle frame builder). There are other variations for other brands (Schwinn and GT frames usually start with SN).

The next 2 to 4 numbers tend to be the date of manufacture. 0911 would generally mean November 2009, but then again, there are variations.

The final 4 numbers is usually the production sequence... where that particular frame falls in the entire day production which may include several different types of frames."
Hi there sir, I was hoping you can help me with my DB year and model.ive heard Alot but never a definite answer. ACS 7A06717 IF YOU CAN HELP IT WOULD BE A WEIGHT OFF MY BACK.THANKS AGAIN
Old 06-18-21, 04:33 AM
Dano1799

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a DIAMONDBACK with serial # that starts with CA any ideas where it was made?
Old 03-04-22, 02:50 PM
osbmxuk

Bikes: Diamond Back Silver Streak

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
F4084699
F = Fairly bike company (Taiwan)
4 = 1984
08 = August
4699 = Unit #4699 in that month

I've put together some helpful resources over here on Diamond Back BMX serials numbers.
Hope this help someone out.

Last edited by osbmxuk; 04-16-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-15-22, 05:16 PM
Dbjbcjd1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help identifying my Diamond back serranto

Just purchased a used db mountain series crmo bike. I have the serial number but really can’t find out much about it. 3c03135 I think means, 1983/March and it was 3135 on the production line. But I am not sure if this is correct. Anyone?
Old 11-19-23, 10:53 PM
Charles937

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOSHUASTJOHN
Hi there sir, I was hoping you can help me with my DB year and model.ive heard Alot but never a definite answer. ACS 7A06717 IF YOU CAN HELP IT WOULD BE A WEIGHT OFF MY BACK.THANKS AGAIN
have you found anything else out about your DimondBack? I too have a DimondBack serial number ACS9G04534 but can't find any info. It has a DIMONDBACK 3-PIECE CRANK WITH "DIMONDBACK" engraved into the arm and a dimond cutout of the back forks above where the back tire bolts up at.
Old 11-27-23, 09:59 AM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamondback serial number

Very hard to identify a diamondback serial number unless it has a huge diamond in the try pod we're all three bars meet at the forks or if it has a baseball at the end of the serial number unless that you could just go by the numbers and call it a 94 maybe just trying to help
Originally Posted by mswantak