Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How many bikes do you own?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How many bikes do you own?

Old 02-19-15, 01:44 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
1 bike, really that is all a person needs... If it's the right bike that you aren't racing, just riding. It's a 13+ year old ORYX mountain bike that does everything well, city, mountain, touring. I could not be happier with this bike, I have over 30,000KMs on it and it never failed to bring me home... The wife loves her Trek 8.5 DS too.
Those are nice bikes. My current ride is a mid-level Haro MTB from early in the century. I think I paid about $175 for it a few years ago.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-21-15, 06:32 AM
GeorgeOwnwell

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently own 5 bikes and 1 tandem. Ride my 99 Hardrock the most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 02-22-15, 11:13 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Rather than figuring what you need, let's disclose what we own.

I'll confess to owning 7 bikes currently. Most of them are from the 70s and 80s. Most of them have been cobbled together. Seems like building and repairing bicycle is a bit of a hobby for me.

Surprisingly, for purpose of transportation right now, I pretty much use just one.

What about you?
I own exactly one bike. I do splurge a bit on this one bike, but I'm pretty strict about limiting myself to one. My riding tends to be be mostly utilitarian, I live in a small urban space, and I can only ride one bike at a time, so this seems to work for me.
Old 02-22-15, 11:38 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have 9.

1 is my daily rider, another is a back-up, trainer, rain-bike. My 3rd bike is a classic vintage that (mostly) hangs on a wall in my man cave.

The remaining 6 are in various stages of project. All the project bikes will be sold or given away soon (as the weather warms). But... I have been looking at adding a mountain bike to my collection.
Old 02-23-15, 12:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I have 9.

1 is my daily rider, another is a back-up, trainer, rain-bike. My 3rd bike is a classic vintage that (mostly) hangs on a wall in my man cave.

The remaining 6 are in various stages of project. All the project bikes will be sold or given away soon (as the weather warms). But... I have been looking at adding a mountain bike to my collection.
I highly recommend the mountain bike. First, mountain biking is a very fun hobby that can be as gentle or as extreme as you like. second, MTBs are comfortable, solid bikes for urban riding and commuting, especially if fitted with appropriate tires.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-23-15, 01:38 PM
RALPHFELT

Bikes: 2015 Pinarello Marvel,2011 FELT AR5 , 2011 PINARELLO FP3, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have:

1. 1986 BMX GT pro freestyle tour
2. 1986 BMX GT pro performer
3. 1980's old schwin beach cruiser
4. 2012 Aventa Fixed gear
5. 2011 Felt AR5
6. 2011 Pinarello FP3
7. 2015 Pinarello Marvel (picked up Saturday)
8. 2015 Scott addict 940 m/b

8 All working and well managed.
Old 02-23-15, 02:09 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale CAAD10 for my training/racing bike in good/sort of good weather
Trek 1500 for rain & winter bike
Trek 7.3 Fx for JRA, and dedicated winter bike once snow hits (studded tires)
Wife has older Cannondale road bike
boy has a Giant Pre balance bike
Old 02-24-15, 08:53 PM
interungulate

Bikes: 2015 Womens CAAD10 5 (now a 1-by SRAM system)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Three:

2015 CAAD10 for training and racing. Picked this one up in the middle of January and just put my 1050th mile on it.
Cannondale Quick, couple of years old, for when I go back home to visit and don't want to lug my CAAD10 8 hours on an Amtrak train (this used to be my one and only bike before the beginning of this school year). And for adventures.
Campus bike, a GMC Denali, rusted, 4-6cm too big for me, 7 speed, with streamers on the ends. This one's for leaving locked up in sketchy areas (or at least as sketchy as the Santa Barbara region gets).

Between the Cannondales I can get around pretty much anywhere, so this should be the lineup for at least a little while more.

Last edited by interungulate; 02-24-15 at 10:45 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 02-24-15, 10:30 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I read this a couple of times and concluded you are right. It's 5, even though it felt like more.
Good. Arithmetic was always my shakiest subject.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-26-15, 10:11 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, this is going to be ugly. My name is Tom, and I'm an N + 1 addict!

In order of the the date I acquired the bike:

1946 Schwinn Admiral:

Literally a garage find. It was in a friend of my brother's garage, and somehow, I got my hands on it, circa 1984. "Restored" it in 1986 ( bike had already been painted over). Still the best cruiser on the planet!

'92 Specialized Allez road bike

frame bought to replace cracked custom bike purchased at Police Aution in '81. Still sporting '70's era Campy Nuovo Record Front Derailleur.

'1990 Trek 520 -

Frame only - purchased in 1992. Still have the frame - I'll build it up someday!

1996 Bianchi Reparto Course Martini Racing Mountain Bike -

the most expensive bike I've ever purchased, approx $1500 new. Quickly disallusioned, when showing up for mountain bike races in '96, this bike was the bottom of the barrel - and that was for the sport races.

approx 1990 Bianchi Nyala

Who'd have thunk, the bike I pulled out of the Neighbor's garbage in the mid-90's would become the bike I've logged the most miles on - Ever! My main commuter bike the last 4 years.

1939 Schwinn Girl's bike.

Like the Nyala, I got it from the alley - only this time, I saw the neighbor pushing it out there. He said he always wanted to restore it, but never had the time, so he was getting rid of it. I knew the Admiral needed a girlfriend - I gave my neighbor $20 to make him (and me! feel better). Now officially my wife's classic cruiser.

1995 Rockhopper A1 (aluminum)-

purchased in the fall of 2013 to be my winter commuter. Frame broke in the summer of 2014. Frame fixed in the winter of 2014 - bike is currently pending resurrection in my basement.

'1994 Avatar Expert - frame.

Purchased for $10 from the guy who sold me the Rockhopper. Currently awaiting a build as a drop bar mtn bike.

2005 Diamondback Sorrento

Purchased as a panic reaction to my Rockhopper breaking. A guy had it on Craigslist for $8. I gave him $15 to make him (or me?) feel better. Currently in the shop getting the TLC treatment.

2013 Next LaJolla Cruiser

My most recent acquisition - $40 off Craigslist, an aluminum cruiser in like new condition. Pending the once over. Will post my glowing review when I've re-lubed every part on the bike!

Edit: Just looked at my own post - I see I'm back into double digits. Anyone know if there is a patch or something you can buy to treat this afflction?! Is it covered by health insurance?

Edit 2:

Forgot one - I've got a 2nd circa 1939 Girls Schwinn frame and fenders whispering that it needs a rebuild. Got this one for free off craiglist - guy was putting it in the trash. I "rescued" it. guess that means I'm well into double digits.

Last edited by loky1179; 02-26-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 06:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Ok, this is going to be ugly. My name is Tom, and I'm an N + 1 addict!
Our list would look something like that too!

I don't think there's a cure.
Old 02-28-15, 11:09 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
With my wife and two young daughters -- nine. Plus two cars. I primarily ride four: recumbent bike; recumbent trike; triplet road bike; and recumbent tandem.
Old 03-19-15, 10:13 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2 bikes and a motorcycle. More than enough for one person.
Old 03-19-15, 11:07 AM
sqgator

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced SL 1, Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon, Scott Scale 710, Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 bikes and need a road bike soon.
Old 03-19-15, 09:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
2 bikes and a motorcycle. More than enough for one person.
As regards bicycles, 2 is probably about right for an every-day rider. It's good to have an extra one to let repairs take their due course.
Old 03-19-15, 10:22 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had one and all was good. Years passed and then, in a moment of indulgence, I added another. The first, a classy Italian redhead, tossed mincing looks at the curvy carbon frame, also Italian, that had seized my attention. The bikes were alike, both had a urge to surge and a need for speed. They were tossed back and forth with wild abandon until suddenly one day the fiery redhead was struck with cancer. I saw to the care and even restorative surgery, expense wasn't spared but it was never the same again. She hung on the wall, the sparkle was still in her fork but I had had too much time with my new carbon ride and what a ride it was!

In a moment of weakness, my eye did stray once more. A soulful model from the UK. Rugged and versatile. I thought we would have fun together this winter. Haha. She asked for space in our modest quarters. I gave in but in doing so upset a delicate balance that remains to this day. The vintage Italian had been pressed out of service and begged to be let go. I understood that need and put her fate in the hands of eBay. It was over so quickly. A local transfer, no long goodbyes.

So there you have it. I have two bikes and, for the time being, all is good.

Last edited by cale; 03-19-15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 10:54 PM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Four, three of them rideable.

The un-rideable one is the old Repco mountain bike that I had in the late 90's as my all-rounder to get me to and from primary school. Un-rideable, because the frame is now too small (probably was then too). Otherwise it goes.

I bought a Dahon Boardwalk later, I was initially using that for commuting combined with public transport, then it extended to day trips. It has a 105kg load limit, which given I'm about 95kg, that's a bit limiting. So I started to think about what I wanted, and one day, when taking the Dahon back to the shop to get a recurring problem fixed, I snapped and bought a new one.

The one I bought is a Giant Boulder 26". I specifically wanted a bike that could go off-road, and was looking for something that had front suspension and disc brakes. The Boulder was what was suggested to me. I bought that in early 2010, and it's been my commuter ever since. I swapped the original knobbly tyres for semi-slick road tyres, later the mechanical disc brakes were upgraded to hydraulic brakes (because I kept fraying front brake cables; 3 in the first 10 months) and in general, that was my go-to when I wanted to go out on a day trip, commuting was still on the folding one.

Over time I started riding the Boulder more often. I bought a trailer which was handy as I was able to put the folding bike in that, ride up to the bike shop, hitch the trailer to the folding bike, drop the Boulder in and ride home again, no need for catching the bus when servicing was due. I didn't like commuting on the fold-up bike at this point, and so I started to look around again. The Boulder does okay off-road, but with the semi-slicks, is set up for road use. (Some would say I should consider a hybrid or road bike, but I appreciate the lower-range gearing of a mountain bike.)

Finally bought the Talon 29 ER 0. Initially I was looking for a dual-suspension mountain bike for touring purposes. The need of a rack and available options forced me to the Talon, which was suggested when I asked the local shop as the dual-suspension models didn't have the mounting holes for a rear rack. It's now my back-up commuter and my long-distance ride. I plan to do some touring with it in the future, just not sure where at this point.

The Dahon now only sees action when one of the other two needs servicing, and one of these days I should consider getting the Dahon serviced. I don't see me buying another bike for now, I've got enough to get by.
Old 03-20-15, 12:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I forgot I owned this one as it has been out on loan...

I think the current count is 17 for me as I have sold a few and gained a few (one in and one out)... the girls have another 7 between them and we also have our tandem.

That makes 25 bicycles.
Old 03-22-15, 09:01 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 03-30-15, 10:51 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to be careful because of my addictive personality i could easily start hording bikes..What i do is shed one bike before i make another purchase..currenlty two bikes:

1. Brodie Section 8 for winter/salt/slush it's a Nexus IGH 8 gears

2. Easymotion Neo City pedelectric for summer/nice weather an e-bike that's also just a regular bike..i need this at the end of an exhausting night shift.

Both great commuters..will probably be looking into a third since my room mates want to get into cycling too after trying out my beasts.
Old 04-01-15, 03:42 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Not enough!

All joking aside, I have two Dahon folders for the trains (one for me and one for my SO)
Pedalforce CX1 and an old MTB I got for free from a family member for commuting. The MTB is for snow days, otherwise I commute on the CX1, which is most of the time.
Trek Madone 5.9 when the weather is nice and I want to go fast
Pedalforce CG2 - my sons bike
KTM Chicago - my daughters bike
KTM Velo - my wife's bike (I bought it for her birthday)
Schwinn Continental - converted to SS/FG (parked in the garage of my mom-in-law in the US
Norwid Aaland - which is currently on order. Custom sized stainless steel with Rohloff, S&S couplers, disc brakes, hub dynamo, belt drive etc etc this will be my future commuter as well as my touring/world touring bike

My car is parked under a carport, because my garage is full with bikes.
Old 04-03-15, 09:16 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
On sunny days, I commute on this Trek. Actually it is now equipped with a Blackburn Mountain rack and a trunk bag.

P4120228 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

On iffy days, I commute on this High Plains.

Untitled by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

Ride around, get groceries bike, backup commuter. Schwinn World Sport.

image by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

Ride on Sundays bike. 1973 Paramount.

1973 Paramount P13 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

I also have a Giant Iguana mountain bike, and I'm currently building up a couple of frames.
Old 04-03-15, 11:14 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
4+ bikes

1) Summer commuter: 1984 Trek 520 tour bike

2) Off season commuter: 1990s Peugeot rigid mountain bike - Canadian made, not a "real" Peugeot!

3) Travel bike: 2007 Bike Friday NWT. I've taken it on a few consulting trips and use it for weekend rec rides. I didn't ride it to work until last year (a few times) as it is by far the most expensive bike in my collection, and the only one bought new, so I didn't want to lock it outside.

4) Previous commuter: 1980s Panasonic sport tourer. Needs new drive train so mostly hangs on wall, but it would be the fastest bike if I wanted to join a geriatric roadie club that aren't carbon snobs.

+) I bought a slightly undersized old Raleigh mtn/comfort bike that I thought I would commute on but it wasn't comfortable, so my adult son set it up on the covered patio as a winter trainer on a rear wheel stand, but it hardly ever gets used

There are a few other bikes for other family members in the overcrowded garage.

Last edited by cooker; 04-03-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 12:44 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Just like there are "horses for courses," different bikes meet different (perceived) needs. If I am riding with both daughters, we are apt to take the triplet. If riding with the older daughter, perhaps the recumbent tandem, but if it is the younger (shorter) daughter, then the Bike Friday tandem. If I want to trail ride, then probably the Bike Friday Llama. For a long ride, it's the TiRush recumbent, but if it is just a fun hour or so, then probably the Catrike.

Our three-car garage in reality holds one car and nine bicycles....
Old 04-03-15, 09:00 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
5 complete bikes and one lonely frame

2013 Rawland Stag
1995 Univega Alpina
1970s Puch
1988 Schwinn Voygeur
1974 Raliegh International

Last edited by vintagerando; 04-03-15 at 09:02 PM. Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.