Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Exploring the U.S. without a car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Exploring the U.S. without a car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 07:09 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I would call greyhound and see if they still have Ameri-pass. All they could say is no. If you have the luxury of getting a folder I think it would be the perfect combination. Get on warmshowers.org to find some places to crash.
Old 09-29-15, 07:49 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilemail
I would call greyhound and see if they still have Ameri-pass. All they could say is no. If you have the luxury of getting a folder I think it would be the perfect combination. Get on warmshowers.org to find some places to crash.
I did; they don't.

It would just mean more planning for any kind of longer trip. I liked that I didn't have to stick to a strict agenda, could just go where I wanted when I wanted.

If I was not interested in pure bicycle touring, I'd still consider a bike - bus - bike - bus type of adventure to fit larger expanses of distance and more varied geography into a shorter timeframe.
Old 09-29-15, 07:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilemail
I would call greyhound and see if they still have Ameri-pass. All they could say is no

Originally Posted by Roody
Train travel is super-efficient and comfortable and romantic. …
FYA, @Roody, there is a luxury bus service between Boston and New York City, known as the LimoLiner, even nicer than Amtrak, with all kinds of amenities, for $89, one way. In particular it has large sight-seeing, clean windows for viewing as it passes through the length of Manhattan (and not the ”backyard”).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Train routes have been described as passing through “America’s backyard,” so IMO the scenery more bespeaks of the region rather than the route. Anyways if you look, it may not be beautiful, but it can be interesting…
My wife and I took it one summer with reservations for dining and dancing at the Rainbow Room atop Rockefeller Center…Jim from Boston knows Romance.
Old 09-29-15, 11:12 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, @Roody, there is a luxury bus service between Boston and New York City, known as the LimoLiner, even nicer than Amtrak, with all kinds of amenities, for $89, one way. In particular it has large sight-seeing, clean windows for viewing as it passes through the length of Manhattan (and not the ”backyard”).

My wife and I took it one summer with reservations for dining and dancing at the Rainbow Room atop Rockefeller Center…Jim from Boston knows Romance.
It's funny that we in America call these luxury buses "limo-liners". In Europe they just call them "buses." But next time you're in Michigan, check out the "Michigan Flyer" buses run by Indian Trails. They're beautiful, clean buses that currently serve Metro Airport, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing. I think they run on loop routes 13 times a day. Fares look decent, with 50% discount if purchased online 48 hours in advance.

Michigan Flyer > Home

Actually, all the Indian Trails buses are all beautiful, new, clean, free wi-fi, customer-centered drivers and agents. The buses are mostly on-time, even. They show what Greyhound could be with a better customer service model.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 09-29-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-11-15, 05:52 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
If I go with the mass transit + bike strategy, I think I'd want to invest in a folding bike, to avoid the whole disassembly/packaging issue.
I plan on Amtrak to DC, the C&O/GAP to Pittsburg, then on to Ann Arbor with a folder. If I want to take a city bus, no issue. A "regular" bike would be great for the ride, but a problem otherwise.
Old 10-12-15, 03:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Freight doing fine? ask the places it burned down and the streams it Dumped crap into ..

all because the rail bed owners dont care and maintenance or A proper slab rail replacement upgrade
of the Stick of Wood with a Nail in Holding the tracks it is OK, cheaper, until it fails ,

then the problems are Externalizations.. some body else's problem.