Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

playing music on the commute? speakers?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

playing music on the commute? speakers?

Old 10-13-15, 03:36 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Do you ask their play list?
That might be an interesting conversation...
Old 10-13-15, 03:37 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your point is...?
Do you really care what my point is..?
Old 10-13-15, 04:42 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
…A rider listening to music, with his head on a swivel is much safer than someone riding with tunnel vision.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
That's my opinion as well. I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look. Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.

Originally Posted by Goriot
...Yes there are definitely safety issues with having music playing / having an earbud in, but it does make the commute so much better and I still feel I'm paying more attention to the road than a driver doing the same thing.
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract. For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness. It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).
Old 10-14-15, 11:09 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Anyone who thinks that they can do more than one thing at a time is kidding themselves. Such as listen to music and ride. Or study and listen to music. Or work and listen to music. What the attempted multi-taskers are doing is just dividing their consciousness into little slivers, and the jumping around between these tasks consumes mental resources that simply slows you down and/or makes you sloppy.

I despair when I see my nieces trying to study math while watching TV, text messaging, listening to music and 'net browsing. I fear that coming generations will be so ADD that they will be unable to do anything that requires deep thinking or a long-term commitment. How this generation will be able to grind through something as tedious but important as the 'Origin of Species', (never mind write something like this), I cannot fathom...

The only way to do one thing really well (or safely) is total focus. Focus is the wrong word, in that if you are spending mental resources on *trying* to focus on riding, then your focus is not on the riding.

I've been riding safely on the road for 45 years. But every time I throw my leg over the top tube, I assume I am going to be squashed by a bus.

Riding safely is a Zen thing.
Old 10-14-15, 11:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract. For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness. It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander…

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Anyone who thinks that they can do more than one thing at a time is kidding themselves. Such as listen to music and ride. Or study and listen to music. Or work and listen to music. What the attempted multi-taskers are doing is just dividing their consciousness into little slivers, and the jumping around between these tasks consumes mental resources that simply slows you down and/or makes you sloppy.

… I fear that coming generations will be so ADD that they will be unable to do anything that requires deep thinking or a long-term commitment. How this generation will be able to grind through something as tedious but important as the 'Origin of Species', (never mind write something like this), I cannot fathom...

The only way to do one thing really well (or safely) is total focus. Focus is the wrong word, in that if you are spending mental resources on *trying* to focus on riding, then your focus is not on the riding.

I've been riding safely on the road for 45 years. But every time I throw my leg over the top tube, I assume I am going to be squashed by a bus.

Thanks for your reply, and perhaps we have different mind-wiring, but how can we know, other than as an exchange of ideas? I don’t necessarily think that multitasking might be limiting the upcoming generation per se, but maybe the short and snappy communication styles of the media.

Anyways, as I noted, for me a controllable external auditory stimulus is focusing, not just “trying to focus.” There was one time I needed intense concentration to study over a period of weeks for a major examination. I turned off the talk shows, and popular music, and only listened to classical music, which I don’t otherwise.

I passed the exam, and I have been cycling seriously for about 43 years. I agree that riding is a "Zen thing," and I am in the moment when I ride (or write reports).

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

PS: I will acknowledge that I did write this post without a talk show on, and it was kind of an “epiphany” (? satori), when I realized that. Sometimes I do start something without the background auditory input, and if interested and (pleasantly) focused enough I may just do without it. Nonetheless, I don’t think my focus is enhanced by the silence.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-14-15 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 10-14-15, 12:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I despair when I see my nieces trying to study math while watching TV, text messaging, listening to music and 'net browsing. I fear that coming generations will be so ADD that they will be unable to do anything that requires deep thinking or a long-term commitment. How this generation will be able to grind through something as tedious but important as the 'Origin of Species', (never mind write something like this), I cannot fathom...

So you never drive a car with any music playing? You never eat while watching TV? You never do X while doing Y?

As Jim said, (relative) silence can be deafening. I can absolutely focus better on studies with some type of ambient background noise, preferably music. I like to have music with almost any activity, be it yard work, or doing mechanic work on my car or bicycle. Helps me get into the groove of things.

How about an 8-10 hour road trip? The silence would be absolutely maddening with no music at all. And actually the constant drone of road noise can be downright dangerous. Better to break it up with something like music.

I rode home from work yesterday in "lightweight" mode, i.e. no trunk bag or panniers, which also meant no music. It was fine. But in the mornings especially I like to have my BT speaker playing as it breaks up the monotony and helps my 70-75 minute commute not seem quite so long.
Old 10-14-15, 01:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Do you really care what my point is..?
I asked didn't I? Perhaps you don't have one or you would rather not say what it it is. I can guess though and am probably correct; it wouldn't be flattering of you.
Old 10-14-15, 01:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Can you chew gum while cycling?
Old 10-14-15, 02:35 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you chew gum while cycling?
What if you have a pack of gum but you deliberately avoid chewing it. That could be even bigger mental diversion from safely operating the vehicle.
Old 10-14-15, 02:37 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I need to get this album onto my phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt3NrMyjTyk

I have a few by them, but they all reside on the pod-of-eyes.
Old 10-14-15, 03:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
True, following is a list of ILTB approved Real Deal Music™ for listening to only with a personal device while cycling. I listen to this playlist on my mp3 player when I like a change of pace from audio books. Note that I would find it (or any other kind of music, good or bad) offensive to have to hear it coming from anybody's external speakers/boombox. Noise pollution from boomboxes played in public spaces were a public plague decades ago and still are.

The approved list:
Something is wrong here. You're missing the Beatles, Elton John and Led Zepplin.
Old 10-14-15, 03:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Field Report 126: The struggle continues. I rode with music on again, and lived to tell the tale. But today, some fool forgot to charge the speaker, and it went dead at mile 20 of a 44 mile ride-- so I did roughly half with music, and half without. Much to my surprise, the number of music-related deaths and non-music-related deaths was the same! I managed not to die both with and without music!

Pertinent? Trash trucks are not scary. Tractor-trailers are not scary. You know what is? Chevy Volts and Toyota Prius'. They make less noise than bicycles... with or without audio.
Old 10-14-15, 04:40 PM
rmfnla

I asked didn't I? Perhaps you don't have one or you would rather not say what it it is. I can guess though and am probably correct; it wouldn't be flattering of you.
Since you are so confident you know there's really no point in my saying, even if it's just to prove you wrong.

Thanks for your judgement...
Old 10-14-15, 04:58 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have posted a few times in this thread. With comments from some of the anti-music people here in mind, I took a ride on a rail trail in the northern suburbs of Manhattan this weekend WITHOUT any music playing on my bike. My objective was to see if people reacted any differently to me than when I've got my "happy songs" mix playing. It was hard to tell because at least 90% of the other trail users were wearing earbuds or talking on their cell phones.

That aside, I did become even more sensitive to how my music might irk some other cyclists or walkers, even though they might not confront me about it. I think I may just keep it off on "that" kind of ride from now on. But I still do not see where playing music on the open road on my way to work or on a tour could offend anyone. Those of you who find music on a bike speaker offensive: Is your commute in the countryside? In a city?
Old 10-14-15, 05:57 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I only object to it in those few rare places left that are silent, or where nature provides the music.
Old 10-14-15, 06:16 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I only object to it in those few rare places left that are silent, or where nature provides the music.
I sure did enjoy the sounds of nature as I rode the rail trail without my music, but I don't really have that pleasure on my commute, which is on some busy suburban roads. I think many of us are agreeing that there's a time and place where music stands little chance of disturbing other people and another time and place where it might be cool if more of us used better judgement and had more respect for others.

My playlists are all family-friendly, and all the tracks are uplifting "summer fun" type songs. In certain situations, and when I'm in a certain mood, I will play only lite classical or solo guitar/piano music. The top volume of my speaker barely spreads the sound beyond the length of my bike, and I am ALWAYS courteous of people who are walking dogs that might be agitated by the noise -- or couples who might be looking for some peace and quiet. Overall, I feel my music brings more positive energy to the cyclists and pedestrians around me than anything else, so I will always stop short of apologizing for it.

On my 20-minute commute - and on tours that have me on the saddle for 9-10 hours, I am rarely around anybody else who isn't encased by an automobile, well out of earshot of my stupid little battery-powered speaker. Therefore, I will keep on playing the music that makes me happy until somebody comes forward and gives me a good reason not to.

So...who remembers the name of the highly-rated $49 handlebar speaker that had a built-in 2gb mp3 player inside? It was recommended on one of these forums not too long ago.
Old 10-14-15, 07:51 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I sure did enjoy the sounds of nature as I rode the rail trail without my music, but I don't really have that pleasure on my commute, which is on some busy suburban roads. I think many of us are agreeing that there's a time and place where music stands little chance of disturbing other people and another time and place where it might be cool if more of us used better judgement and had more respect for others.
Any reasonable person knows its impossible to please everyone all the time, someone who is disturbed by music played at a reasonable level in a busy, noise filled environment simply isn't being realistic.
That said, on the way to work today waiting for a light in downtown Kent, a kid pulled up on one of those wheel things playing music out loud.
It was foul, obscene, violent, misogynistic garbage.

Some people have absolutely no consideration or judgment.
Old 10-14-15, 09:19 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kind of reminds me of an incident I had a long time ago. I was riding my 1970 Triumph Trident down the street and stopped for a light. My Trident was a pretty primitive bike with no creature comforts. If I had a sound system, I couldn't hear it. A young lad pulled up in some Japanese monstrosity decked out in a day-glo fairing with a built in 8 track player.. The young rider was wearing a very colourful leather jumpsuit and a helmet lifted from the original set of Battlestar Galactica. The 8 track was playing, very loudly and badly distorted, a disco version of Star Wars. This was back in 1978. Being really cool on my Triumph, I tried to ignore him. Then he asked me, "What kind of mileage do get with that?"

Lucky for me, the light changed and I made a very elegant departure with my 3 cylinder, 4 speed British bike. Really lucky for me, he stalled out. From that experience, anyone that plays music on any two wheel form of transportation is totally uncool. Disco Star Wars uncool.
Old 10-14-15, 09:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Something is wrong here. You're missing the Beatles, Elton John and Led Zepplin.
Nothing wrong with my playlist, though I could find room for some Elton John; perhaps Bennie and the Jets, Island Girl, and I'm Still Standing.

Beatles or Led Zepplin? I'd rather listen to traffic noise.
Old 10-14-15, 10:03 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I have posted a few times in this thread. With comments from some of the anti-music people here in mind, I took a ride on a rail trail in the northern suburbs of Manhattan this weekend WITHOUT any music playing on my bike. My objective was to see if people reacted any differently to me than when I've got my "happy songs" mix playing. It was hard to tell because at least 90% of the other trail users were wearing earbuds or talking on their cell phones.

That aside, I did become even more sensitive to how my music might irk some other cyclists or walkers, even though they might not confront me about it. I think I may just keep it off on "that" kind of ride from now on. But I still do not see where playing music on the open road on my way to work or on a tour could offend anyone. Those of you who find music on a bike speaker offensive: Is your commute in the countryside? In a city?
I only have my music on for rides when I know there will not be anyone else in close proximity. I never have it on during any group rides, or if I'm on a MUP with lots of other people nearby.

For example I rode 17 miles to the start of a group fun ride once, and had my music on the whole time. As I pulled up, I turned it off, and left it off for the entire group ride (although a few others on the ride had music going). Then when I peeled off to head back home I turned my music back on.
Old 11-04-15, 04:52 PM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
A rider listening to music, with his head on a swivel is much safer than someone riding with tunnel vision.
I agree with you there. While I don't wear earphones while riding, it's more an aesthetic choice than a safety concern. And I usually do wear earbuds while running (which many runners get their moisture-wicking panties in a wad bout too).

Whenever people write stuff like "you should never wear earbuds" I mentally rewrite that as "deaf people should not be allowed to ride bikes". Because that's essentially what's being said.

The logic is that no one should ride without a 100% undisturbed ability to hear what's going on around you at all times. Which is, obviously, hogwash. You gotta use your eyes. Always. You should no more rely on hearing traffic that you should on smelling it.
Old 11-05-15, 06:34 PM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy in a club that I sometimes ride with rides with a speaker setup. I think it's fine for a seasoned solo commute, but it's annoying and debatably dangerous if you're riding with others.

I really think that I do use all of my senses when riding to stay as safe as possible though (Yes, smell too! It once alerted me to downed power lines across the road before I could see them well).
Old 11-05-15, 09:33 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I don't get on my bike without my bluetooth speaker. I consider it as essential as air in my tires.

I use an outdoor tech buckshot. Love it. Battery life is crazy good, at least 14 hours on a single charge. Reception can be spotty if your body is between the speaker and your phone though. I can't keep my phone in a rear jersey pocket or saddlebag and put the speaker on my handlebars and get good reception. So I bought an aero bag that sits on my top tube, works great.

Around here I share the road with people driving cars with windows rolled up, so I could give two ****s what anyone thinks about my tunes. That being said I try not to be an ass about it. If I'm rolling through a neighborhood at 2am it's not on max volume, and if I'm in a fast group ride it stays off.
Old 11-06-15, 11:34 AM
DBordello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they have been mentioned, I use bone conductive headphones: Bluez 2 - AfterShokz

They do not cover or go in your ears, but sit in front of them. Via magic, they bypass the eardrum and pipe the tunes directly into your brain.

The effect is that they do not block outside sound. They aren't the greatest sound quality, but perfect for an audio book while riding.
Old 11-06-15, 11:49 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Had some guy on the bike path playing horrible county trash on his blue tooth speaker. Loud so that everyone, including the I- Pod zombies looked up. Couldn't escape for like 10 minutes. "Take me back to Virginia" blah, blah, blah. He should of played it backwards. His wife would of come back home, as well as his dog and he would be sober.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.