Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

I Want to Get Serious..

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

I Want to Get Serious..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 10:30 AM
thrasher9905
Broke With $$$ Hobbies...

Bikes: 98' Torelli Countach, 94' Specialized Sirrus, 82' Trek 730/736,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Want to Get Serious..

I have been riding bikes for a little over a year now and I think I want to get into racing. Just this past month I have started doing longer rides with groups. My longest so far being 35 miles last Sunday, and on Wednesday I rode 20 miles. I started this last ride averaging around 18mph and towards the end I caught up to the front pack and we were riding around 20-22 mph.. I didn't have my computer yet, it will arrive in the mail today. So I had to rely on other people to tell me my speed. I will continue to do no-drop rides until I can keep up with the people on the regular rides (The people that go with the regular drop rides are much faster). Am I off to a good start? Feel free to give me advice that helps you on your rides.
Old 10-16-15, 10:41 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thrasher9905
I have been riding bikes for a little over a year now and I think I want to get into racing. Just this past month I have started doing longer rides with groups. My longest so far being 35 miles last Sunday, and on Wednesday I rode 20 miles. I started this last ride averaging around 18mph and towards the end I caught up to the front pack and we were riding around 20-22 mph.. I didn't have my computer yet, it will arrive in the mail today. So I had to rely on other people to tell me my speed. I will continue to do no-drop rides until I can keep up with the people on the regular rides (The people that go with the regular drop rides are much faster). Am I off to a good start? Feel free to give me advice that helps you on your rides.
it's as good a start as any. just know that when you first race it is likely to be very hard. Don't let it get you down.

I started out commuting. The first time I tried to ride up the hill by my work I had to stop 3 times. Old women were passing me. Most everyone starts somewhere like that. Even when you're in prime shape, 49 guys lose a 50-person race.
Old 10-16-15, 10:42 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The most effective approach for race prep that I've seen is described by botto in the "new to racing" sticky. Looks like you're taking an appropriate approach thus far. Keep on keeping on and you'll be fine.

1. Find some group rides, fast group rides. Sit in the back.
2. Don't get discouraged if/when you get dropped from those group rides.
3. Go back the following week and do the fast group ride again.
4. If you're dropped a 2nd time, repeat steps 2 & 3
5. Once you're comfortable with the group and pace (and vice versa), take some pulls.
6. Once you're comfortable taking pulls, try some attacks (if it's that kind of group ride).
7. Once you're comfortable with steps 5 & 6, it's time to enter a race.
8. At your first race, repeat steps 1-6, but substitute 'race' for 'group ride'.
Old 10-16-15, 11:17 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
The first time I tried to ride up the hill by my work I had to stop 3 times. Old women were passing me.

After years of being out of shape, I got a road bike and pedaled down the flattest road around until I felt like I couldn't go any farther, and turned around. Now the road where I turned around is a landmark for "almost home" at the end of a ride.
Old 10-16-15, 12:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
it's as good a start as any. just know that when you first race it is likely to be very hard. Don't let it get you down.

I started out commuting. The first time I tried to ride up the hill by my work I had to stop 3 times. Old women were passing me. Most everyone starts somewhere like that. Even when you're in prime shape, 49 guys lose a 50-person race.

On California 45 out of 50 lose, and 30 of those losers are national champions.
Old 10-16-15, 12:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
not our fault
Old 10-16-15, 02:56 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
on a tangent, was 2010 that last time masters nationals was east of the rockies?
Old 10-16-15, 03:03 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
on a tangent, was 2010 that last time masters nationals was east of the rockies?
bend bend bend ogden ogden.
Old 10-16-15, 03:22 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Louisville Louisville Louisville

Seven Springs Seven springs
Old 10-16-15, 03:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Save this URL: Northern California Nevada Cycling Association and check it in December when they post the dates for the Early Bird clinics in Fremont. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
Old 10-16-15, 03:47 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^I believe there is a Fresno series, too. It is probably closer, but I doubt it will be as wel attended.
Old 10-16-15, 03:48 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can't wait for the early bird crits. My last chance to validate myself through riding bikes before kids ruin my life.
Old 10-22-15, 01:48 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thrasher9905
Sounds like a good start. Just be careful how often you are riding hard. Listen to your body, if you need to take a day off then do it. Mix it, ride hard, ride slow, work on your cadence. Too much hard rides will get you injured and off bike. Ride on your own sometimes esp long rides, it gets you mentally strong. Keep a good diet esp greens veggies, fuel on and off bike and most important be PATIENT. Cycling is humbling and takes time to see results. I read somewhere that it takes 3 months to see improvement on average.
Old 10-22-15, 03:56 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I can't wait for the early bird crits. My last chance to validate myself through riding bikes before kids ruin my life.
Old 10-22-15, 03:57 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Save this URL: Northern California Nevada Cycling Association and check it in December when they post the dates for the Early Bird clinics in Fremont. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
Triple thumbs up on this.
Old 10-22-15, 04:06 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
cherry pick jpg
are you saying to cherry pick from other parts of my life to validate my worth, or to cherry pick certain races and try to remain competitive despite having my life ruined by this unwanted second child! They'll be delivered via c-section for sure, but whichever is pulled out second is growing up wearing potato sacks and grocery bags with arm holes cut out.
Old 10-22-15, 06:26 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others have said, find the fast group rides. Get dropped. Learn to keep up. Go race. Get dropped. Learn to keep up. ...and continue as you cat up. Racing will humble you, but don't get discouraged. It happens to nearly everyone.
Old 10-22-15, 07:01 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
having my life ruined by this unwanted second child! They'll be delivered via c-section for sure, but whichever is pulled out second is growing up wearing potato sacks and grocery bags with arm holes cut out.

Those of us who already have twins, plus other kids too, would like you to stop complaining about the twins you don't even have yet.
Old 10-22-15, 09:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am good at cycling because I dedicate a lot of time and energy to being good at it. Kids, meh.