Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is recreational riding ever the same...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 11:56 AM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

after commuting? I commuted this past summer and now I'm back to just recreational riding (at school). It just isn't quite as rewarding. I like the sense of purpose that commuting brings.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-27-15, 12:05 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
No. I commute by bike because I have to. The rest of the riding I do, I do because I want to.
Old 10-27-15, 12:41 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hard time riding unless I am commuting to a destination. Otherwise I just get bored.
Old 10-27-15, 12:42 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Yes. The "Sense of Purpose" (as you call it) that I feel when actually commuting to a destination that most others would have driven to makes the ride more rewarding than just riding around in circles for fun or "training". (ugh) I commute by bike because I want to, not because I have to.

Why not do errands on the bike? It'll give you the same sense of purpose.
Old 10-27-15, 12:52 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
my recreational riding has really tailed off over the past several years, but that probably has more to do with settling down, getting married, and starting a family.

time has fast become the most elusive of commodities.

perhaps when the kids are older and riding bikes themselves i'll get back into the groove of riding purely for the fun it. as it is now, commuting/errand running is >99% of my biking.
Old 10-27-15, 12:57 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Sometimes I try to "just ride around" to get out for awhile, but the lack of focus does affect the enjoyment of the ride.

My commute is almost like playing a video game, preparing for certain maneuvers.
Old 10-27-15, 12:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by hooCycles
after commuting? I commuted this past summer and now I'm back to just recreational riding (at school). It just isn't quite as rewarding. I like the sense of purpose that commuting brings.

Nope! My purpose for riding is to have fun. I can do that whether I'm riding to work or riding aimlessly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-27-15, 01:09 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did have this problem when I first started commuting. After a few months, though, I rediscovered the joys of a rambling ride. I don't race or anything like that, so a recreational ride for me is really just an exploratory ride. I discover new streets in my city and how they connect to each other, or a follow a road I've never gone down before to see where I end up. My spouse and I often ride to coffee shops or lunch together. Even a 50 mile ride together normally has a destination, which invariably involves food!

Are you new to commuting? If so, give it time. I'm guessing the joy of the ride that has no purpose but fun will come back to you.
Old 10-27-15, 01:13 PM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I commute to work, I try to beat my best speed and time.

When I ride the bike to lunch, I try to take new routes and don't worry about my speed at all.

When I do family rides, I pace myself to my kids' speeds and more frequent breaks, and we all have a great time.
Old 10-27-15, 01:15 PM
kuroba

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
To me, commuting took away part of the joy of recreational riding in the sense that, after starting commuting 15kms, any ride less than that seems like a waste. And sometimes I don't want to get that far away from home, so I just go for a run. Now my recreational rides have to be 40kms or longer to really feel rewarding to me, always with a destination in mind. I can't ride aimlessly :/
Old 10-27-15, 01:41 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
My commuting probably doesn't bear much resemblance to traditional commuting....I live 40 miles one way from my closest office, and have to remain ready to hit the road to other offices that are 80 and 240 miles away, so a car at the office is required. I keep a bike at the office, and bike commute to lunch destinations, which are primarily 5-6 miles round trip, as often as meetings, etc allow. I do like the sense of purpose from commuting in this manner, it has yet to save me any appreciable $ from fuel savings in today's lower gas prices, but, I still enjoy recreational gravel rides exploring the country around me, and meeting up with friends for rails trails. I just like riding, and some days, that lunch ride is the only time I'm able to get outside my office and enjoy the day.
Old 10-27-15, 01:56 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes. The "Sense of Purpose" (as you call it) that I feel when actually commuting to a destination that most others would have driven to makes the ride more rewarding than just riding around in circles for fun or "training". (ugh) I commute by bike because I want to, not because I have to.

Why not do errands on the bike? It'll give you the same sense of purpose.
I'm trying to convince myself that recreational riding is just training for my commuting season. I'd love to shave off a few minutes from my commute next year.
Old 10-27-15, 02:19 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I did have this problem when I first started commuting. After a few months, though, I rediscovered the joys of a rambling ride. I don't race or anything like that, so a recreational ride for me is really just an exploratory ride. I discover new streets in my city and how they connect to each other, or a follow a road I've never gone down before to see where I end up. My spouse and I often ride to coffee shops or lunch together. Even a 50 mile ride together normally has a destination, which invariably involves food!

Are you new to commuting? If so, give it time. I'm guessing the joy of the ride that has no purpose but fun will come back to you.
Yes, this summer was my first time bike commuting and I really had a blast. I like your idea of riding for discovering your city and for finding good food and I am near a good city to try it out. Glad to hear that I may 'ride out' of this phase!
Old 10-27-15, 02:35 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Yes and No. On my own I won't go on a ride just for the fun of riding, but I might go on a ride with other people with no particular destination in mind.

I will go on a solo recreational ride for training or exercise. Otherwise, my recreational rides will typically have an "adventure" component to them. I'll ride somewhere I haven't been before, - at least not on a bike.

There isn't a sense of loss involved in any of this, but that might be because I've been commuting by bike for a long time.
Old 10-27-15, 05:20 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
What might be considered recreational riding for me is usually something I'm doing to get some exercise and the fun is secondary to the exercise. But even my commuting miles have enough fun in them to be considered at least partly recreational, and my trips to the credit union are more fun than driving there. I quit worrying about trying to label my rides according to what I'm doing and just go to get where I'm going most days.
Old 10-27-15, 05:32 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yeah, I like riding more when I have a sense of purpose. If I don't ride at all I can meander around fine, but if I ride to a specific destination regularly, just meandering around isn't as enjoyable.
Old 10-27-15, 07:21 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Interesting way of putting it, hoo. You made me realize that I, too, have lost some of my hip-hip-hooray for leisure rides that don't bring me somewhere I need or want to be. Perhaps that's why touring has become more important to me.
Old 10-27-15, 07:36 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
I think once the cold weather hit rec rides kind of lost their appeal for me. My favourite time to ride is early morning, and now because dawn comes so late I really don't want to take the risk of riding in the dark when I don't have to; I do that when I commute to work. I think once spring hits and it gets light around 5AM, I'll get back that feeling of excitement of going somewhere far on my bike.

Nowadays I just run on the weekends. I get an equally good workout session in half the time.
Old 10-27-15, 07:38 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
may not happen, 'sense of purpose' that is, if you loathe your job.

i'm using the royal 'you'.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-27-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 07:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,103 Posts
Perhaps, but such things are not permanent. I've been commuting and riding recreationally for over 35 years. Interest in recreational cycling has ebbed and flowed over the years, for various reasons. There are a lot of cycling activities to choose from and move between as interests change and time allows. If you do what you enjoy and what your life allows, you will be rewarded with rich experiences.
Old 10-27-15, 08:17 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Is recreational riding ever the same...after commuting?

Originally Posted by jfowler85
I have a hard time riding unless I am commuting to a destination. Otherwise I just get bored.

Originally Posted by no motor?
What might be considered recreational riding for me is usually something I'm doing to get some exercise and the fun is secondary to the exercise. But even my commuting miles have enough fun in them to be considered at least partly recreational

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
my recreational riding has really tailed off over the past several years, but that probably has more to do with settling down, getting married, and starting a family.

time has fast become the most elusive of commodities

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Due to a busy work-family life, all my fitness activities are cycling, and almost all my cycling is year-round commuting. I’m fortunate to have nice, safe, doable 14 mile one-way, and easily extendable routes...
For me recreational vs commuting cycling is a chicken-vs-egg question, because commuting is fun / recreational, and the necessity of commuting gets me on the road far more than I would for just recreation.

Furthermore for me during the nice weather when I try to follow a training program, mileage becomes a destination itself. An optimal and desirable ride is to extend my commute, especially if I do a long ride when going in on Saturday for a few hours. Such a long commute usually takes me through the best recreational cycling areas in Metro Boston.
Old 10-27-15, 08:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

I don't need a purpose to ride. I spent 10 days in Spain this spring and rode with no purpose, no responsibilities, nothing to do but ride, drink and eat. It was fantastic.

In the past two years I've done about 370 rides over essentially the same route to work. I still enjoy the ride in the morning and evening. If I'm not working I ride about the same number of hours per week but tend to have fewer, longer rides.
Old 10-27-15, 09:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Riding to work is just a short recreational ride, so no I don't think I'd see riding much differently if I stopped commuting.
Old 10-27-15, 09:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,763 Times in 2,561 Posts
commuting takes me into the kind of riding I don't enjoy that much. Not sure why it would replace recreational riding at all
Old 10-27-15, 09:39 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I commute by bike because I have to.
Elaborate, please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.