Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

TIP your LBS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 01:37 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TIP your LBS

Do you tip your LBS? Last week at LBS this lady gives one of the Mech $10 after fixing break issues with bike. I had to question myself since i don't tip but then I spent lots of $$ at the shop and i felt that was justified.
you?
Old 02-08-16, 01:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Do you tip your LBS? Last week at LBS this lady gives one of the Mech $10 after fixing break issues with bike.
There is a joker/sucker born every minute, last week you witnessed one in action.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
lolup.gif (3.8 KB, 390 views)
icon_joker.gif (313 Bytes, 391 views)
Old 02-08-16, 01:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've occasionally done stuff like stop nearby when I'm riding past the store anyway, pick up a six pack of good beer, and leave it with the mechanics. When I needed a new tubular tire quickly, they didn't have one in stock so they lent me a wheelset (Zipp) with the tires I like until a new one came in. The shop in Winthrop held my bike for me for a few days so I could go backpacking and not worry about my car being broken into, they refused to accept payment for holding it, and they didn't sell me the bike.
Old 02-08-16, 02:00 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't tip my car mechanic so I'd say no. I don't bring the bike to the shop for anything anyway. I I ask their advice on a part I'm uually buying the part.
Old 02-08-16, 02:01 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "request" for tips is becoming endemic.

Pretty soon, you're going to need to leave a tip if someone smiles at you.
Old 02-08-16, 02:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I think there was a recent poll about tipping.

I SHOP at the LBS, and don't believe tipping is appropriate when I'm buying stuff. I don't tip the grocery store checkers either.

For maintenance? Maybe. The mechanics only earn minimum wage, and a tip might show you appreciate their work. Or, the next time you come in for another tune-up, they may drop everything to help you Unless, you're the person's bike they stuff into the back corner
Old 02-08-16, 02:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I am always ready to give a good tip:

Buy low, sell high!
Attached Images
smilie_184.gif (630 Bytes, 386 views)
Old 02-08-16, 02:15 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shops are struggling these days. I'd say it doesn't really matter one way or the other, if your intention is to keep the LBS afloat.
Old 02-08-16, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If You have a taste in expensive bikes you can afford a tip to the people who give you good service.

The Wages are usually Near Minimum, thats why mechanics dont stay Long enough to have the skill-History

Unless they Married a College Professor ..
Old 02-08-16, 03:01 PM
TriDanny47

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tips on the spot, no. Year end/holiday gift cards to the key personnel who helped me out/put up with my dumb questions - yes.
Old 02-08-16, 03:04 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think it would be appropriate for special services like fully custom builds, but not for normal retail purchases or services.
Old 02-08-16, 03:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by fietsbob
If You have a taste in expensive bikes you can afford a tip to the people who give you good service.

The Wages are usually Near Minimum, thats why mechanics dont stay Long enough to have the skill-History

Unless they Married a College Professor ..
If you're having work done on the bike.

But, if you're just shopping, it would be like saying one should tip the grocery store clerks to prevent turn-over.

I'm not sure how much the shops are struggling. Around here we lost a couple of major bike shops in the 70's and 80's including the Schwinn shop.

I think there are a few new shops that have cropped up in the last decade including a new Performance shop, and I don't know of any major shop that has closed in a long time.

I think some of the shops are doing very well. Some are probably struggling. I think the "Arriving by Bike" is doing reasonably well in Eugene. It has a very small footprint, and quite a bit of traffic. Others, I don't know. Inventory costs must be high.

The one group of consumers that the shops need to work on keeping are the home-mechanics. I used to get 90% of my parts from the LBS (some from big catalog mail-order houses). That percent is quickly dropping to 10% or less (with small, non-local shops still picking up a good part).

It hurts when I go into a shop and they don't have a basic innertube for a bike model they have for sale on the floor.
It hurts when I get stung with paying $8 for a tube that other places sell for $5, and is available online for $3
It hurts when brake pads or other parts are just not stocked. I suppose I should ask about things like cones, but it gets to the point where I just can't count on the local stores having the stock I need.
Plus, it is so much easier to order from the living room and have it arrive in the mail.

As a consumer, I also am sometimes looking for relatively rare items. My last order included 24x1 (520) Schwalbe Durano tires, as well as 20x1 (451) Schwalbe One tires, both of which came from Europe.

I could imagine some brutal competition if 1000 shops started dumping their inventory on the internet, but there is no reason why a small shop should blame internet competition on everyone else without joining the fray themselves. And, it may help with product turn-over which could help with rounding out the inventory.
Old 02-08-16, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought Jeremy the Mechanic at The LBS a couple PBRs at the Pub down the street .

Grocery-Chain-store Clerks Have a Labor Union https://www.ufcw.org/about/ufcw-history/retail-clerks/

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-08-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 03:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
But, if you're just shopping, it would be like saying one should tip the grocery store clerks to prevent turn-over.
I have an interest in having the same mechanic, who knows my riding style and preferred routes. I don't have an interest in having the same grocery clerk.
Old 02-08-16, 03:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I'm 99.5% positive that this same question was asked multiple times on this forum with the same results. For me it a moot point as I haven't used an LBS for repairs in several years.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ke-fitter.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...-mechanic.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...-mechanic.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-your-lbs.html
Old 02-08-16, 04:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Last year I purchased 2 bikes from the LBS. They come with free one year service. I deal with one specific mechanic and depending on how much time he spends, I toss him $20. It buys me highly personal attention and I get all my questions answered for bike that I did not buy from the store.

For the $40-$60 I tip a year it buys me access to an lots of great advice and it just means one less meal a year for me.
Old 02-08-16, 04:24 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
For me it a moot point as I haven't used an LBS for repairs in several years.
Wow... a "regular".

I can't think of when I've handed my bike to a "mechanic" for repairs or a tune-up. I've been doing 100% of the work on my bike since I was about 10, maybe even younger.

Oops, nope, sorry. There was one instance in Italy when I got my broken bike rack welded at a neighborhood shop. It only lasted a day or so, but that was enough.

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Last year I purchased 2 bikes from the LBS. They come with free one year service. I deal with one specific mechanic and depending on how much time he spends, I toss him $20. It buys me highly personal attention and I get all my questions answered for bike that I did not buy from the store.

For the $40-$60 I tip a year it buys me access to an lots of great advice and it just means one less meal a year for me.
And, this is part of the dichotomy. I can imaging tipping a person for unpaid warranty work (although their wages are the same).

But, the bike stores serve two vastly different communities.

1: The do-it-yourself people who use them as stores.
2: The do-it-for-me people who use the mechanic services, as well as parts inventory.

And, the best stores deal with both types of customers.

But, one isn't tipping the store, but rather is tipping the bike mechanic (hopefully he or she gets some of the dough).
Old 02-08-16, 04:32 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'm still a PT bike mechanic, formerly FT for about 5 years. I like getting tips...

...but I don't expect them. Paying the asking price for service gets you top notch service, as described, on time. Someone who tips? The same top notch service. But maybe the bike gets a bit of detailing that is not usually included in the service. Or it gets squeezed into the schedule between other bikes or after hours, where time spent working on it will not affect other schedules.

Most of the time, a tip is not expected and a complete surprise for providing the same level of service we'd do not expecting a tip... because a tip is mostly never expected.

Beer seems to be stock in trade tip fare, but there must be non-drinker mechanics out there. For me, it's the women who bring in home-made cookies. Cash works, too.

I tip my car mechanic...
Old 02-08-16, 04:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I tip my mechanic with beer (bourbon once for big projects). He saves me buckets of money with his work, and always works on my bikes right away (while I wait). That's worth the price of a good six-pack every month or two. It's a win-win.
Old 02-08-16, 04:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Beer is cheaper than a good tip, and mechanics seem to respond better to it. Weird.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-16, 05:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Do you tip your LBS? Last week at LBS this lady gives one of the Mech $10 after fixing break issues with bike. I had to question myself since i don't tip but then I spent lots of $$ at the shop and i felt that was justified.
you?
Did she pay for the brake service independently.. or perhaps was a bike she had bought there that was serviced under the umbrella of free adjustments in the first year.. or somesuch?
Old 02-08-16, 05:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Tip your LBS

you?

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I'm 99.5% positive that this same question was asked multiple times on this forum with the same results.
Here’s my usual reply.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Time eventually became too much of a premium, so now my LBS does it all.

Besides time, I have never had good facilities to work easily...Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me [often gratis]. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective. I tip well, not just, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I tip my mechanic with beer (bourbon once for big projects). He saves me buckets of money with his work, and always works on my bikes right away (while I wait). That's worth the price of a good six-pack every month or two. It's a win-win.

Originally Posted by noglider
Beer is cheaper than a good tip, and mechanics seem to respond better to it. Weird.
Personally, I think tipping in anything but cash is condescending. As described above, I have a congenial, but respectful relation with all the mechanics at my shop, but I don’t think any of us have intentions to be “buddies,” and share some brews, bourbon, doughnuts, or whatever; or even know their preferences.

Imagine offering a non-cash tip to those workers who are traditionally tipped in cash…waiters, hotel bellmen, cabbies, hairstylists…For me, my bike mechanics provide a vital service that I think about for example when hurtling down a steep hill, secure that the bike won't fall apart.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-08-16 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 05:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I know I appreciate a tip especially if I have gone above and beyond what was asked or were able to fit someone in more quickly. We work hard, get paid very little and most folks wouldn't want to do what we did. Some people can work on their own bikes but buying all those tools can be expensive and we cannot do it all plus as a home mechanic we don't have to deal with customers who aren't as nice or patient or understanding of what they did to the bike (which they will blame on us sometimes) so we don't understand the frustration.

Bring your mechanic beer or cider (or hard orange soda/root beer in my case cause I love that stuff) or cash is nice for lunch or dinner and it will pay off in the end. You don't have to tip but it sure is nice.
Old 02-08-16, 05:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Jim from Boston, I will consider your point about condescension. Maybe I should bring both cash and beer.

I know there are cultural differences in different regions. It seems the northeast is heavier on tips than the rest of the US. So be it. My outlook is that the money is small for me and probably big for the person receiving it, so I see no reason not to tip very well. In restaurants I tip over 20%. If that sounds like a lot, the difference between 18% and 20% is often a dollar or so. Who needs the extra dollar, the server or I? The server, for sure.

We don't often order food for delivery, as we see it as a luxury, but in my neighborhood, it's a booming business. We did so this weekend. Our order was $60. I tipped the delivery man $10. He was very grateful. Maybe I'm a fool, but I bet the guy put the money to good use. If I can afford that kind of money on food (occasionally), let the guy bringing it to me have a little of my fortune. The restaurant isn't paying him a complete living.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-16, 06:01 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
A few years ago. I tipped a LBS mechanic who quickly did a warranty adjustment. He actually took a bike he was working on out of the repair stand to fix/adjust my bike. It was a Performance Bike store... so I know he was an employee (not the owner). Normally owners are not tipped... only employees.

At another shop (just last year) a son of the owner took my bike and wrote-up the repair ticket. I have no idea who repaired the bike. The next day when I returned. The cashier retrieved the bike and took my money (less than $25) for a part and minor repair. I didn't offer a tip... and wouldn't have known who to offer it to.

I am pro tip.... at least as far as attractive waitresses are concerned. I understand Beer is currency among cyclists and bicycle mechanics. Although... I get the impression the bicycle mechanics in my area would often prefer to... smoke their tips. And I have neither beer of pot.

Originally Posted by noglider
........... this weekend. Our order was $60. I tipped the delivery man $10.
$9 would have been 15%. 10 sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 02-08-16 at 06:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.