Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Power saddle inclination?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-16-16, 03:25 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello guys,

Short version of my post: For those that have the Specialized Power Saddle, are you following the typical "neutral" saddle inclination, or do you have it slightly upward or slightly downward? How does its inclination compare to other, more traditional saddles you've had before?

Long version of my post:
As you may know already, the Power saddle has a very short nose, but also has a bit of an upward lip in the back. If one were to place a flat book on the saddle so as to cover it all, having the book perfectly level would mean the short nose will be slightly upwards.

I have had the Power pro saddle (padding level 1) for maybe 9 months. After a bit of playing around with inclination and forward-backward positioning, I found a setting which I was happy with, getting rid of numbness/discomfort in the perineal area from my stock saddle (Specialized Toupe expert, I believe). But that setting of mine was admittedly with a fairly big downward inclination.

I was a bit worried at first that it wasn't "proper", but as I said it got rid of numbness/discomfort I was having, so I felt it couldn't be all that bad Until pretty recently, that is. Starting about a month ago, I started getting some groin pain, but for the life of me I can't think of anything that I changed in the last few months of riding (bike's the same, pants are the same, didn't put in extra weight, etc...)

To be sure, if the pain persists I will consult with a doctor! But in the meantime, I was wondering what inclination other Power saddle owners have been using, and how it has differed from other, more traditional saddles you've had before.

Thank you,

Geoff
Old 02-16-16, 03:32 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, and I'm not sure if it's relevant or not to the discussion, but in case you care to know I am 5'7", ~140lbs, and my saddle is 143mm. I ride about 100-150 miles per week, and do an 100+ mile ride maybe every 2 months or so.

Geoff
Old 02-16-16, 03:55 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The center part of the Power is supposed to be level, so the back is kicked up and gives your butt something to push against, or at least gives you a consistent reminder of where your butt should be placed.

I can't help with the groin pain, no idea of why that's occurring.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 02-16-16, 06:47 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not that's it's relevant, but I tried a Power Saddle for two ride of about 40 miles each and it didn't work out for me. My saddle to bar drop is 10 cm. I've found that for me and with any of the saddles I've used tipping the nose up slightly is best.
Old 02-16-16, 06:52 AM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run mine with the nose slightly up, perhaps 1 degree. I've found this to be most comfortable for the Power saddle, Romin and Aliante.
Old 02-16-16, 07:22 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Perhaps the saddle is a touch high and you are tipping the nose down to compensate. You might try re-leveling it and dropping it down a little. Remember that when you buy a new model saddle, all bets are off. The distance from the top to the rails can be more or less than on the old saddle and the compression of the saddle under your weight may be entirely different than on the old one. The whole saddle may flex more or less than the old one (rails, frame, etc.) and/or the padding may compress quite differently. In fact it would be foolish not to expect to have to find a new height for a new saddle including a new height for the seat post.

Also remember that with a shorter nose saddle the optimum forward-rearward position may be different. Should the back of the saddle, the middle of the saddle (whatever that means) or the nose of the saddle be the same distance from the bars as before?

My advice is to go back to level middle of the saddle and try to find a comfortable saddle height and set back before tilting it in either direction. Tilting the saddle more than a degree or two is a last resort that is almost never a good solution.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-16-16, 08:09 AM
lupy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried one for a while and liked it best in the neutral/flat position. I can't do specialized saddles though because they way they are cut in the butt crease area. I ended up having the same problem in that area w/ the romin, power and toupe. GL

EDIT: Actually started to read your long post. I level my saddles w/ a book on them typically. So I guess it would have been slightly nose up.
Old 02-16-16, 08:18 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
seriously, listen to your own crotch and do what it says, only it has the right answer for you.
Old 02-16-16, 11:22 AM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys for your replies! A few follow-up comments:

Originally Posted by revchuck
The center part of the Power is supposed to be level, so the back is kicked up and gives your butt something to push against, or at least gives you a consistent reminder of where your butt should be placed.
Cool, thanks. Just curious, but did you get that info from somewhere in particular? I wish Specialized had a bit of documentation with their saddle, especially given that it was supposedly developed with the help of a doctor and his research. Maybe document some of this findings, and why the saddle was designed the way it was. If for nothing else, it could have made for good reading

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Perhaps the saddle is a touch high and you are tipping the nose down to compensate. You might try re-leveling it and dropping it down a little. Remember that when you buy a new model saddle, all bets are off. The distance from the top to the rails can be more or less than on the old saddle and the compression of the saddle under your weight may be entirely different than on the old one. The whole saddle may flex more or less than the old one (rails, frame, etc.) and/or the padding may compress quite differently. In fact it would be foolish not to expect to have to find a new height for a new saddle including a new height for the seat post.

Also remember that with a shorter nose saddle the optimum forward-rearward position may be different. Should the back of the saddle, the middle of the saddle (whatever that means) or the nose of the saddle be the same distance from the bars as before?

My advice is to go back to level middle of the saddle and try to find a comfortable saddle height and set back before tilting it in either direction. Tilting the saddle more than a degree or two is a last resort that is almost never a good solution.
All makes sense. Lowering the seat post was one of the things I did at the very beginning of my bike ownership, although with my previous saddle. It became pretty clear pretty quick that the saddle was too high at the time I'll definitely keep an eye on this with the Power saddle as well.

Originally Posted by djb
seriously, listen to your own crotch and do what it says, only it has the right answer for you.
LOL... Well, I did ask it what inclination it wanted, but I got no reply, so I'm left guessing at this point

Geoff
Old 02-16-16, 12:57 PM
djb

Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Good answer! Seriously though, going for a relaxed ride and Allen keys with you and making some slight changes and really playing attention to what you feel is the key. I think we've all ignored an improper set up seat, but some rides only for experimenting with frequent stops to make adjustments can really help. I've found even going too far in an adjustment just to really feel that point, and then going gradually in increments until going too far the other way, is a good way to at least be more aware of what feels like what. I'd just say not to do multiple changes, ie angle and setback.
Good luck experimenting
Old 02-18-16, 06:09 AM
vze23c3q

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just go by the rails? Seat is basically level at that location but the rails are nose up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PowerLevel.JPG (71.1 KB, 910 views)
Old 02-18-16, 09:55 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just go by the rails? Seat is basically level at that location but the rails are nose up.

Yep, that would be great. But in the end it wouldn't really matter that much since everyone seems to prefer a little different setup. But in general using the rails to level it would be kinda nice.

My issue with the Power saddle is that when it's level I feel balanced with little weight on my hands, but it tends to not help keep my hips rotated forward. If I tip the nose down just ever so slightly it helps keep my hips forward but pushes all my weight forward too and my left hand goes numb. I can't seem to find a happy medium at all. Same with the Romin for that matter.
Old 02-18-16, 11:24 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I keep the nose of mine level. Have you tried the one with thicker padding? I'm trying to find a power pro/sworks because I feel like theres too much padding on my Power Expert.
Old 02-18-16, 11:28 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
I keep the nose of mine level. Have you tried the one with thicker padding? I'm trying to find a power pro/sworks because I feel like theres too much padding on my Power Expert.
I think I might be in the same boat. The padding on the inside edges of the cutout is uncomfortable because it's so soft.
Old 02-18-16, 03:57 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
No, I haven't tried that, well not yet anyway Funny enough, I purposefully splurged for the Pro version, since I had heard that too much padding can sometimes (often?) be a problem! Your and Shoota's comments here certainly are suggesting that it can be

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well!

Geoff
Old 06-26-17, 07:03 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[THREAD RESURRECTION: GO]

@Jofu, I'm curious as to what your final tilt was.

This saddle is some kind of magic, but I haven't figured out the perfect method of employment yet.

I have just discovered that the tilt I've been running on my Power (Pro, "level 1" padding) is, according to the "slap a book on top of the saddle and measure the overall angle" method, was actually 8° nose-forward. I've adjusted this to only 3° nose-forward and am looking forward to my regular training route tomorrow, T-handle 5mm hex wrench in tow for mid-ride tweaks.
Old 06-26-17, 07:26 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old thread. But. Neutral for me out slightly pointed up. I always adjust my saddles by throwing flat pedals on my bike then making sure the saddle is comfortable with no padding.

Specialized recommends a neutral position and very slight fore and aft. I've had pain when the saddle isn't adjusted correctly.
Old 06-26-17, 07:54 AM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xherion
I run mine with the nose slightly up, perhaps 1 degree. I've found this to be most comfortable for the Power saddle, Romin and Aliante.
This, I've done this. Although I found myself putting a lot of pressure on my upper body with this saddle, switched out to Aliante which seems to be better.
Old 06-26-17, 10:31 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xherion
+1

With the nose up 1 degree it locks your tuckus in place. You don't slide around on the saddle when it is tilted in this position. I find that I can spend a lot of time in the drops with the Power saddle, comfortably.

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 06-27-17 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 12:20 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
How do you measure the inclination when you say nose up one degree? Is it across the whole length of the saddle, or just the front half as pictured in post #11?
Old 06-27-17, 12:35 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
How do you measure the inclination when you say nose up one degree? Is it across the whole length of the saddle, or just the front half as pictured in post #11?
It seems totally arbitrary, since saddles don't really have a flat surface as a reference.
Old 06-27-17, 08:51 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put a book on top of it and measure the angle of the resulting flat surface.
Old 06-27-17, 06:33 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm about 1 degree up on both of my Romin Evo's. I measure from the middle third, like the photo above.

I've found the power saddle to have a wicked edge on it that catches the inner part of my thigh / lower part of butt on the edge on every pedal stroke. Needless to say I only owned mine for one ride - then I swapped it for my second Romin Evo...never looked back.
Old 06-27-17, 11:53 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
This.

-Shin
Old 02-24-21, 08:17 PM
Bob4Aplz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was your resolution to this?

Hi Geoff,

I know this was a while ago but what was your resolution to this issue? I had been using a Power Saddle for 2 years+ and recently had all kinds of undercarriage issues. I found that it had angled up 5 degrees over time and I was destroying myself. But now I have moved it back to its original position and the perineal discomfort is better but not healed. I think it just takes a long time for that area to right itself! I also was told by a very knowledgeable friend that with 13k miles on the saddle it is time for a new one too!

But would love to know what you eventually did!

Thanks!

Bob

Originally Posted by Jofu
Hello guys,

Short version of my post: For those that have the Specialized Power Saddle, are you following the typical "neutral" saddle inclination, or do you have it slightly upward or slightly downward? How does its inclination compare to other, more traditional saddles you've had before?

Long version of my post:
As you may know already, the Power saddle has a very short nose, but also has a bit of an upward lip in the back. If one were to place a flat book on the saddle so as to cover it all, having the book perfectly level would mean the short nose will be slightly upwards.

I have had the Power pro saddle (padding level 1) for maybe 9 months. After a bit of playing around with inclination and forward-backward positioning, I found a setting which I was happy with, getting rid of numbness/discomfort in the perineal area from my stock saddle (Specialized Toupe expert, I believe). But that setting of mine was admittedly with a fairly big downward inclination.
I was a bit worried at first that it wasn't "proper", but as I said it got rid of numbness/discomfort I was having, so I felt it couldn't be all that bad Until pretty recently, that is. Starting about a month ago, I started getting some groin pain, but for the life of me I can't think of anything that I changed in the last few months of riding (bike's the same, pants are the same, didn't put in extra weight, etc...)

To be sure, if the pain persists I will consult with a doctor! But in the meantime, I was wondering what inclination other Power saddle owners have been using, and how it has differed from other, more traditional saddles you've had before.

Thank you,

Geoff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.