Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding at Night by Choice...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 06:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I love to ride at night.

With proper gear and prep one can be more visible than in the daylight. That aside, I love riding in sultry August nights, late or in the small hours of the morning.

Cooler air will often settle into the low spots on calm nights. Descending into a creek valley can be bracing when you're all hot from riding and hit the cold spot at the bottom!

85°, lights blazing, not a car on the road... Full moon group rides or a solo blast, maybe through the parts of town where you wouldn't ride during the day... I love it.

No real point to this thread. It's been in the low 60's into the evening here in the Atlanta burbs. Itching to get out at night and I just felt like saying that.
Old 03-09-16, 06:25 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Can you see the road imperfections well enough at night to be safe at 20+ mph. I certainly can't. Even with lights.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-09-16, 06:26 PM
hollywoodeskimo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the way you think.
Old 03-09-16, 06:31 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Can you see the road imperfections well enough at night to be safe at 20+ mph. I certainly can't. Even with lights.
Depends on where you ride. Several months of the year I commute in total darkness and used to live in a rural area with no light from streetlights, houses, etc. I think it's safe enough, but car headlights make it hard to see things. You hit a lot more in the dark, particularly in storms -- I once ran into a bed spring at speed. Took a few minutes to get untangled.

But on clear nights, it's a blast -- I always had the sensation that everything was all mine. Rural roads in the dark, particularly with a bit of moonlight assist is awesome.
Old 03-09-16, 06:32 PM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding one night and the light's batteries started going. Next thing I saw was a deer right in front of me. I just missed him. I'm willing to take the risk riding at night on roads with which I am very familiar. But then I don't ride as fast at night either.
Old 03-09-16, 06:35 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
When we were kids, we rode many miles on country roads without lights. Now I wonder how we did it. Also makes me wonder if young eyes don't perhaps see a whole lot better at night.
Old 03-09-16, 06:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Agree night riding can be very peaceful. I personally will only ride at night on FAMILIAR roads, to minimize surprises.
Old 03-09-16, 06:59 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yeah, I love riding at night(with stupidly bright lights), but my night rides are always 2-3mph slower average speed. Night rides are now only commutes and easy recovery rides.
Old 03-09-16, 07:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It helps to have both a bar and helmet mount lights. Sometimes have to brake on really fast descents - prudence and common sense.

I'm about to go for a Light & Motion Urban 800 Fast Charge for the bars + a Vis 360 Plus helmet mount. This is the best of both worlds and Jenson USA just price matched the lights to the lowest price I could find in the interwebz.

My old Night Rider halogen with the battery pack in the jersey pocket is about ready for the Science Olympiad donated parts bin at the local high school.

-Tim-

PS: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/
Old 03-09-16, 07:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I have been riding at night, by choice, during the week lately. We wait until about 8:30 pm or so, until it is getting dark, and then go for a ride.
Old 03-09-16, 07:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I ride substantial hours per week in the dark, up to 50% of my ride time, sometimes 6 hours per week.

For me, it's just before dawn. Awesome. Traffic is light but there are still people around. I've got it down- bright head light, less-bright helmet light, rear blinkie.

I'm pretty comfortable riding fast in the dark, but I'm on familiar roads.
Old 03-09-16, 07:35 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hollywoodeskimo
I was riding one night and the light's batteries started going. Next thing I saw was a deer right in front of me. I just missed him. I'm willing to take the risk riding at night on roads with which I am very familiar. But then I don't ride as fast at night either.
I always carry a spare light with enough power to be used on its own. I've done some pretty stupid things at night, the dumbest hitting 48mph on a descent. There is no way I would have seen a rock or roadkill in time. On another stupid occasion, I almost collided with an pair of elk at 40+mph in the dark -- missed them by a couple feet tops. Definitely a code brown emergency. I don't do things like that anymore.

Originally Posted by jon c.
When we were kids, we rode many miles on country roads without lights. Now I wonder how we did it. Also makes me wonder if young eyes don't perhaps see a whole lot better at night.
There was much less light pollution then -- makes it much easier for your eyes to adjust to conditions. I like to ski in the dark and don't use a headlamp except when I'm in the woods.
Old 03-09-16, 08:51 PM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I always carry a spare light with enough power to be used on its own. I've done some pretty stupid things at night, the dumbest hitting 48mph on a descent. There is no way I would have seen a rock or roadkill in time. On another stupid occasion, I almost collided with an pair of elk at 40+mph in the dark -- missed them by a couple feet tops. Definitely a code brown emergency. I don't do things like that anymore.
Yes. Carrying the a spare light and/or batteries is the right thing to do. But sometimes it's worth the risk to become immersed in the poetry of the night. I used to do the same with hiking in uneven terrain. No lights. Just the moon if it was shining. There is magic in the night. Now that I'm getting on in years it becomes more dangerous to be out there under the same circumstances as I would go out in when I was younger. One's senses and bones are weaker. But still, every once in a while, you have to consider letting the magic in.
Old 03-09-16, 09:05 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I love it. I just got in from a nice 25 km ride in the countryside. I feel very safe on less well-travelled country roads, as you're not hard to spot when you're lit up. I avoid busy two-lane highways because the lights on your bike tend to get lost in all the headlights and taillights. It's good to go on roads that you're familiar with so that you know where the potholes are. That way the only thing you need to worry about is critters, but a powerful enough headlight will light up enough of the road ahead to let you see what's coming. I feel very comfortable doing 30+ km/h on the country roads at night around here.

I'd never do a group ride at night, though. That just doesn't seem safe at all to me.

Old 03-09-16, 09:12 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Me. 0400 before work, 3-5 days a week. Love it.
Old 03-09-16, 10:34 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Night riding in the summer is the best.....700x35 tires soak up the road imperfections!
Old 03-09-16, 10:47 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We do a gravel ride on Thursday nights in the fall, winter, and early spring. If there isn't too much snow/ice, we go on the gravel paths. When there is snow or ice we ride on the dirt country roads. 25-30 miles at tempo+ pace. Last week there were 14 of us. It's fun when the country bumpkins come across us in their cars and give us a look like 'wtf are you people doing out here in the dark in the snow?' It's not so fun coming across a bunch of fracking trucks delivering water to well heads.
Old 03-09-16, 11:53 PM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My regular group rides are on weekday nights. Mind, this is on familiar well-lit city roads. Deer and wildlife are lesser concerns compared to cars and the occasional newly minted pothole. I prefer riding during the day but I live almost on the equator: The sun can be downright fierce!
Old 03-10-16, 12:11 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Second shift worker so when I commute, riding home is always in the dark. I prefer well lit city streets opposed to pitch black country roads. Riding at night becomes very familiar after you do it for a while, just like anything. Been on long solo rides, group rides, rides with just a buddy...always a good time. A warm summer night, light breeze at your back, no bugs, and just the sound of a slightly dry chain....almost heaven.
Old 03-10-16, 12:12 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride home at night from work. I do it as fast as I would in the day, though I'm not hitting 48mph

I avoid a overpass because it's narrow and I had a couple close calls with a big car carrying semi. Having a steady light and blinking headlight helps me be seen and for cars to better judge my speed.
Old 03-10-16, 12:18 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
With the right lights you can. Also brighter lights are easier on the eyes after a few hours in the dark. I can't maintain 20+ mph for very long. If I turn my light up to high for a fast downhill the light is about the same as my car on low beam. Even in that condition I still need to concentrate on the road surface carefully. There are bike lights with more power than a car.
One of the problems is that a car or a motorcycle can go straight over things with no problems that would destroy a bicycle wheel or cause a crash. We need to be more careful on a bicycle even in the same light, or even in the day.
Old 03-10-16, 01:50 AM
kostyap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not fun of group rides but I do love night riding.
Old 03-10-16, 04:15 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Predawn, yes, I enjoy that, except when there's blinding light from oncoming traffic. Riding after sunset isn't so appealing, because there's usually a lot more traffic, and the drivers don't seem as calm and cautious as in the early morning.
Old 03-10-16, 04:21 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Some depends on where the light is mounted on the bike. Lower -- say on the fork crown, a fork leg, or even on the dropout -- will cast a longer shadow of road imperfections, which does make them easier to see. If mounted high up on the handlebars or on the helmet, the shadow is less obvious, and so are the road imperfections.

I have done a lot of night riding over the years. Often, the roads and paths are very quiet, and on country roads, I find myself in a cocoon or tunnel of light and my imagination can run wild as to what that noise might have been on my right; how far the flashing light on a radio tower might be (around 20 miles based on an experience in the Last Chance 1200!); whether the storm highlighted by that lightning flash will pass (we beat a beauty home on a randonnee on our tandem several years ago); just how long the sun can take to appear on the horizon; and how the stars dominate the sky (unless the moon is in full shine) when there is little-to-no light pollution. I could go on and on, but I think you might get the idea.

Even in urban area, riding at night can be relaxing and interesting. The traffic is much less because, after all, most sane people are inside eating, on the net, or in bed (doing whatever). Some of the buildings that are drab and grey during the day some to life at night even with just different coloured street lighting. And a climbing ride will present a vista and spreads out patterns in front of you (much like flying over a city at night), as the different colours are like jewels.
Old 03-10-16, 04:29 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Saturday I was out at 0222 for the first 47 miles of my 133 mile ride using my NiteRider 650. Plenty of light and time on low setting. I use my helmet mounted 5,000 lumin Amazon.com: Super Bright 5000 Lm 3 Beads 4 Modes Led Headlight Comfortable Wearing Led Headlamp, Hands-Free Head Light with 2 Rechargeable 18650 Batteries Waterproof Head Lamp: Sports & Outdoors as my "really want to light up the place" backup. Insanely bright when on high and not that heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.