Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium or Steel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium or Steel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 01:18 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent Cooper
Steel is too heavy.
Titanium is too flexy.
Aluminum is too stiff.
Carbon is too fragile.
all are true, when improperly used.

BTW, I started binge-watching Twin Peaks yesterday. It aged well.
Old 05-03-16, 01:30 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Steel is too heavy.
Titanium is too flexy.
Aluminum is too stiff.
Carbon is too fragile.
It's true to an extent. You have to pick your poison and deal with its downsides.
Old 05-03-16, 01:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
...Twin Peaks...age...well.
Unlike in real life.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-03-16, 01:40 PM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerTheWeim
I might be looking at buying another bike, told my wife this one would last forever, so I am thinking about Titanium or Steel. I don't race, just ride between ride between 30 and 100 miles. I currently ride about 125 miles a week. I am looking for a nice and comfortable bike. I have looked at Torelli and Moots so far. Any suggestions? Pro/cons?
You can't go wrong with either. Both can be built up into awesome bikes. First figure out your buget. Do you want custom or stock sizing? How exclusive of a builder do you want? If you want off the shelf that's easy but if you want a handmade forever bike do your research. There are so many custom builders out there. Many builders offer both steel and Ti frames. Talk to them, tell them your riding style and see what they recomend. Where do you live? Maybe talk to some builders in your area. Don't rush and have fun figuring it out.

This is my custom Ti from 2001. Just took this pic a couple days ago. Bike hasn't been ridden in 5 years because I got back into racing but it's still a beautiful bike.

Old 05-03-16, 01:41 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
It's true to an extent. You have to pick your poison and deal with its downsides.
Yep. Those are the stereotypes, but I've owned frames of each material that were the opposite of the stereotype.

Hi-Mod carbon fiber is fragile, but my Pedal Force RS frame is anything but fragile.
Cannondale frames from the 80s were crazy stiff, but a Vitus 979 frame is a noodle...
Old 05-03-16, 06:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't ride frequently in heavy rain or leave my bike outside in the rain and my 2004 steel IF has some pretty good corrosion around the bottom of the head tube. Suspected cause is my corrosive sweat. One reason I went ti for my next frame.
I got my steel Waterford in 1992. For the last 14 years it is a weekend bike but kept year round in a shed 15 feet from the Cheaspeake Bay salt water. I ride it all along the water and get it gritty with sand at times. It has no rust, at least on the outside.
Old 05-03-16, 08:03 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I got my steel Waterford in 1992. For the last 14 years it is a weekend bike but kept year round in a shed 15 feet from the Cheaspeake Bay salt water. I ride it all along the water and get it gritty with sand at times. It has no rust, at least on the outside.
Stainless is a great choice. Easier with which to work, pretty much the corrosion resistance of Ti, strong, light. Maintenance consists of an occasional spray and wipe down with T9 and you're good.

J.
Old 05-03-16, 08:08 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

What is T9?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-03-16, 08:09 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Stainless is a great choice. Easier with which to work, pretty much the corrosion resistance of Ti, strong, light. Maintenance consists of an occasional spray and wipe down with T9 and you're good.

J.
Stainless is great, but it seems even more expensive than Ti. Stainless is also a bit more high maintenance than Ti, as it's not 100% corrosion resistant.

Also, since the Stainless steel has such a high Ultimate Tensile Strength, it's usually drawn out to extremely thin-walled tubes, which makes them pretty easy to dent.

For these reasons, I do think Ti is a more practical choice of materials than high-end stainless steel.
Old 05-03-16, 08:10 PM
rpenmanparker 

J.
953 is very tough stainless. Probably not much different to work than Ti.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-03-16, 08:15 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
What is T9?
Boeshield

Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

It sprays on and has some wax like properties. Works great on stainless in marine applications, for example.

J.
Old 05-03-16, 08:17 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by link0
Stainless is great, but it seems even more expensive than Ti. Stainless is also a bit more high maintenance than Ti, as it's not 100% corrosion resistant.

Also, since the Stainless steel has such a high Ultimate Tensile Strength, it's usually drawn out to extremely thin-walled tubes, which makes them pretty easy to dent.

For these reasons, I do think Ti is a more practical choice of materials than high-end stainless steel.

I guess, at least around here, the Ti frames are more expensive than stainless ones yet they have very similar properties.

I have a bike that is stainless, weighs 16.3 lbs (roughly 57cm size frame) and I can assure you it is not easy to dent.

J.
Old 05-03-16, 08:38 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I guess, at least around here, the Ti frames are more expensive than stainless ones yet they have very similar properties.
Really? Ti bikes can be had for under $2000. There are Ti frames for around a grand. Can you point me at a stainless steel bike cheaper than that?
Old 05-03-16, 08:59 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Really? Ti bikes can be had for under $2000. There are Ti frames for around a grand. Can you point me at a stainless steel bike cheaper than that?
all things being equal.

All Ti Bikes are not equal to all other Ti bikes. Same goes for stainless.

J.
Old 05-03-16, 09:55 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
all things being equal.

J.
Well I have one of those Ti bikes for under 2K, and it has all those things the pricey brands have, and sometimes more. For starters how about shaped top and down tubes. Curved and shaped seat and chain stays. Very nice welds. Just doesnt have the name, for which I could give a %¦<%`. More expensive often does not mean better.
Old 05-03-16, 10:01 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Well I have one of those Ti bikes for under 2K, and it has all those things the pricey brands have, and sometimes more. For starters how about shaped top and down tubes. Curved and shaped seat and chain stays. Very nice welds. Just doesnt have the name, for which I could give a %¦<%`. More expensive often does not mean better.
When I had a custom frame built last year, I spent a lot of time looking at available Ti frames and custom frame builders in steel, TI and Stainless. Maybe it's my engineering background that makes me obsess about thsi stuff or something but what found was that, in general, I could get a lot more frame for less money in stainless than I could in Ti for a given set of requirements and workmanship. YMMV and I'm glad you're happy with your bike.

J.
Old 05-03-16, 10:02 PM
noodle soup

all things being equal.

J.
okay, but please direct us to a low cost stainless bike. I can'tell find one.
Old 05-03-16, 10:05 PM
JohnJ80

Why? This whole thing started off with Moots being one of the choices as far as Ti goes.

Are we now looking for all budget metal frames?

J.
Old 05-03-16, 10:07 PM
noodle soup

Why?
To prove that they exist
Old 05-03-16, 11:09 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Steel is too heavy.
Titanium is too flexy.
Aluminum is too stiff.
Carbon is too fragile.
And really none of those are accurate
Old 05-04-16, 04:42 AM
rpenmanparker 

Ain't gonna happen. Stainless is available in very few stock bicycles, mostly custom. Ti is mostly an off-the-shelf item and some custom too. Hence, the price range of Ti is much wider than stainless and penetrates much further down on the low side.

Though didn't Soma have a stainless bike? Or someone like that? I think there was a problem of inadequate supply...or am I imagining all that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-04-16, 05:24 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

all things being equal.

J.
You said "Ti frames are more expensive than stainless ones". That's a very different from an assertion about quality, and I'm not sure I believe it is true.

EDIT: OK reading your post you seem to be saying that a survey of local framebuilders revealed that you could get a Stainless frame built cheaper than a Ti frame, or at least you got "more for your money" for stainless, whatever that means.

Last edited by dr_lha; 05-04-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 05:26 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Ain't gonna happen. Stainless is available in very few stock bicycles, mostly custom. Ti is mostly an off-the-shelf item and some custom too. Hence, the price range of Ti is much wider than stainless and penetrates much further down on the low side.

Though didn't Soma have a stainless bike? Or someone like that? I think there was a problem of inadequate supply...or am I imagining all that.
Soma Triple Cross was Stainless steel and cost $2000 for the frame.
Old 05-04-16, 06:43 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
When I had a custom frame built last year, I spent a lot of time looking at available Ti frames and custom frame builders in steel, TI and Stainless. Maybe it's my engineering background that makes me obsess about thsi stuff or something but what found was that, in general, I could get a lot more frame for less money in stainless than I could in Ti for a given set of requirements and workmanship. YMMV and I'm glad you're happy with your bike.

J.
I'm not trying to suggest that my less expensive bike is better than a custom built for you frame, that expensive never buys you anything. Going custom, I certainly would not buy from overseas. But I am saying that the attitude of many that it cost less, or imported from Asia, therefore it must be inferior is often simply not the case. The same attitude prevailed with Toyota and other Japanese car makers in the 70's, Sony, Taiwan built Al bike frames etc. The list goes on and on.

My Ti frame was built in Taiwan and compares very favorable to US standard built Ti frames at a fraction of the cost. The bike I bought would have been 3.5-6 times more expensive for nearly comparable bike from one of the US Ti builders without nearly as much tube shaping as the Taiwanese frame etc. Would have loved to have bought US made, but literally multiple thousands of dollars difference in price

Side note. I love the ideal of a Stainless Steel bike. I have not seen one to my knowledge, and would love to ride one for a couple of weeks for comparison.

Last edited by quicktrigger; 05-04-16 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 08:02 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I don't know about the Triple-Cross, but SOMA produced a stainless steel version of the Smoothie a couple of years ago. It was fillet brazed KVA MS2 and sold for $2,000.

EDIT - Here's the KVA MS2 fillet brazed Triple-Cross.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 05-04-16 at 08:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.