Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pain between anus and scrotum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-16, 03:00 PM
duele

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I'm pretty new in road cycling. I bought bike for 2 weeks ago but when I was on ride I had pain between anus and scrotum. Do you know how can I avoid this? It is normal to have pain there when I'm new to road cycling?

Last edited by duele; 05-05-16 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 03:04 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 05-05-16, 03:08 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Subscribed.
+1
Old 05-05-16, 03:10 PM
duele

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
??
Old 05-05-16, 03:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
You may need to "break in" your backside. Start off with 30-45 minutes/ride and increase by 15 minutes every couple of rides.

Are you wearing proper cycling shorts with a chamois pad and no underwear? If not, do so. Make sure your saddle is level.

If that's not working, you probably need to go to the bike shop to ensure the bike is fit to you properly. It may need some adjustments.
Old 05-05-16, 03:16 PM
bigdo13

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy, 2013 Specialized S-Works Venge, 1993 Specialized Epic, 2012 Fezzari Fore CR3, 2015 Cipollini Bond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This area you speak of is the land known as the perineum.. this land is sensitive, but rugged....

A new saddle is what you seek... pain there is not normal.... also, try adjusting saddle height and saddle fore and aft...

also, at your local bike shop it is possible to receive a bike fit...
Old 05-05-16, 03:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdo13
this area you speak of is the land known as the taint
ftfy.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-05-16, 03:34 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Pain in the taint no more-

Old 05-05-16, 03:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Could be any number of things from incorrect seat height to cheap saddle to toughening up the area. The first can be solved by trial and error and have others watch you pedal. The third comes with miles. The second is also trial and error and is going to cost a few bucks. The cut out saddles work for many people.

Old 05-05-16, 03:49 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
As others have said, could be many things but I would start w a bike fit and relief saddle, as pictured above or similar. Then, and only then, go out and ride more miles to harden up
Old 05-05-16, 03:51 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts

Good grief, you could fall through the hole in that thing and need rope to climb back out out!

FYI; taint, otherwise know as the perineal area.
Old 05-05-16, 03:53 PM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recommend showing your LBS where the pain is and see what they can do to help.
Old 05-05-16, 03:54 PM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Good grief, you could fall through the hole in that thing and need rope to climb back out out!
Yeah, that could get painful if your nuts drop in there and you slide forward - ouch.
Likes For Up North:
Old 05-05-16, 03:57 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slide the saddle forward? If it's too far back, your taint could be resting on the narrow part of the saddle.
Old 05-05-16, 04:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Yup, got one of those. I do prefer my Adamo, but that's good.
Old 05-05-16, 04:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
duele, there is wisdom in the posts above, but they are quick answers.

The long answer - you have just started a journey; finding that "right" bicycle seat. How long will it take? Can't answer that one. Might be a quick turn of a bolt under your seat, it might take years.

Good road bike fit starts at the seat. Its height, tilt and back and forth position. Plus its shape vs yours. There are no rules here except what you fell. You can gain from others' experience and wisdom, but it may not apply to you at all.

First: is the height about right? At the bottom of you pedal stroke is your knee slightly bent? Good. Big bend? Too low. You have to reach or go toes down for the pedal? Seat is too high.

Second: is it about level? Good place to start.

Third: is it in a good place back and forth? Drop a plumbline or string with a weight on it from the nose of the seat. Is it at or in front of or behind the crank axle? On a small bike (21"/53 cm or smaller), at or slightly in front (maybe 1/2") is a good start. On a larger bike (23"/58 cm or larger), behind up to an inch is a good place to start. (If the reach to yhour handlebars is too long or short, this will make things a lot harder to sort out. Seat position always comes first, But sometimes we have to change things up front just to be close enough that we can see and feel what is happening with the seat.)

If you cannot adjust your seat using the seatpost clamp bolts and the seatpin bolt to get a good starting place, see your bikeshop for possibly another post. If the post is now at a good starting point, ride it and see if it feels better. No? Your shop probably has a device to measure how far apart your sitbones are. It may well be that the seat you have doesn't match your width. If no, talk to them about exchanging it for a better match.

Then there are the intangibles. Cutouts and grooves that make such a huge difference for many of us. Non-grooved/cutout seats stopped working for me in my early 40s. The actual shape of the seat makes a huge difference. So do the materials and construction details. And the choices? Hundreds? I haven't counted. Life's too short.

There are shops that will allow yhou to try a seat on yhour bie for long enough to know if they work, then bring them back and try another. There are shops that have "libraries" where you can buy a card ($25 at a shop I know), take out any seat on the shelf and ride it a week, then return it and ride another. You can "take out" all 25 seats. And when you find one, your $25 goes toward it.

New bikes often come with less than the best seats. (There are manufacturers who figure you are going to get what works best for you and pricing the bike up with a more expensive seat that you are just going to take off anyway is a waste for all.) When you have your current seat adjusted as best you can, you will begin to see where its shortcomings are and be better informed on where to spend money for possibly a higher quality seat. But, and this is a huge but, if the next seat isn't right for you, the big pile of money you spent, the very high quality materials in it and the "gotta have it" factor will amount to absolutely zero comfort-wise except that it will delay you taking the next action to get it right. (Pride does that.)

Welcome, duele, to our forum. And welcome to the "find that seat" journey. (That seat is out there. Have faith and perseverance. It is so worth it!

Ben
Old 05-05-16, 05:15 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a saddle like the one shown above with a channel down the middle. I had the same problem but it is gone after I switched to a Fizik VSX saddle with a channel down the middle.
Old 05-05-16, 05:18 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
Slide the saddle forward? If it's too far back, your taint could be resting on the narrow part of the saddle.
That.

Or maybe the seat height isn't right. Too high?
Old 05-05-16, 05:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I hate myself for not being able to resist clicking on any thread that has the word anus and scrotum in the title.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-05-16, 05:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Good grief, you could fall through the hole in that thing and need rope to climb back out out!.
Like sitting on the toilet with the seat up
Old 05-05-16, 05:35 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

I like this. The OP is riding for two weeks and suggestions include trying out different saddles.

Everyone gets sore when they first start riding. It's also natural to overdo it with rides in frequency and duration at the beginning.

OP, follow Datlas' advice in post no 5

Last edited by StanSeven; 05-05-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 05:45 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
A lot of people struggle with this, I did for like a decade. Like others said the nicer way to phrase it is "perineum pain".

You do need a seat that fits your tail bones decently.
But what finally fixed it for me (after buying a better seat) was Pilates and taking a session with a physical therapist. It wasn't cheap, but after that I've been able to ride any half-decent seat with no perenium pain. There's a number of muscles in your core that get weak and practically collapse from sitting in chairs all the time, that keep the delicate area off from rubbing on the seat.

I think it cost me about $200 total at a pilates place with a groupon, but I would recommend it over spending a ton of money on different seats, bike fittings, etc like I did which helped a little but didn't solve the problem for me.
Old 05-05-16, 05:47 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Up North
I recommend showing your LBS where the pain is and see what they can do to help.
I recommend mentioning your LBS where the pain is, or just motioning to the area. If you actually show them, they're likely to kick you out of the shop with arrest being worst case
Old 05-05-16, 05:58 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrodgers
I recommend mentioning your LBS where the pain is, or just motioning to the area. If you actually show them, they're likely to kick you out of the shop with arrest being worst case
This thread has two posts with excellent advice - numbers 5 and 23
Old 05-05-16, 06:53 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I've ridden Brooks B-17 and Brooks Pro saddles most of my adult life, but as I hit my late sixties I began experiencing numbness and sometimes pain in my perineum area, especially on longer rides like the week-long 545 mile AIDS LifeCycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. So, a few years ago, I tried several saddles with perineum cutouts and wound up buying a Selle SMP Pro which has eliminated both the pain and numbness.

Saddle selection, fit, and positioning vary greatly from rider to rider, so YMMV.

Selle SMP Saddles

Medical Research

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.