Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 05-03-16, 02:56 PM
DaveTMpls

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowlifeGorilla
Hey everyone. Commute daily on a 2016 Sirrus Sport disc and I love it so far. Has anyone replaced their pedals yet? I'm curious as to what you went with!
I went with Speedplay Zeroes. My first set of cleats, at age 70! Last summer was a painful experience, until unclipping while stopping became automatic. I'll never go back to toe clips.
Old 05-06-16, 06:02 AM
haudi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Need to get fit and have fun doing it. Picked up a '16 Sirrus Elite Disc earlier this week and have already put 25 miles on it (not much for the seasoned folks, but a lot for someone who hasn't been on a bike in years!) I having so much fun on this bike it makes me feel like I am 12 all over again on my first big boy bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
26180352873_be089ca757_h.jpg (100.6 KB, 2103 views)
Likes For haudi:
Old 05-09-16, 07:06 PM
tbkfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the entry level carbon and got the Elite (2016). My thinking at the time was that I can always upgrade the Sora drivetrain later. Now I am wondering if I have shot myself in the foot. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to an Ultegra 11 speed on the stock wheel/hub? Wheel upgrade may have been in my future anyways, but it would be nice to know what I am in for when I get the itch to upgrade.
Old 05-09-16, 07:48 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbkfan
I went with the entry level carbon and got the Elite (2016). My thinking at the time was that I can always upgrade the Sora drivetrain later. Now I am wondering if I have shot myself in the foot. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to an Ultegra 11 speed on the stock wheel/hub? Wheel upgrade may have been in my future anyways, but it would be nice to know what I am in for when I get the itch to upgrade.
Sora shifts fine.

I rented a Specialized Sirrus in Maui last year from Maui Cycles (the frame was Aluminum, but with a Carbon fork and Zertz inserts in the rear stays). I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the bike performed and handled - it was much closer to my road racing bikes than it was to my MTB (which is an Aluminum Specialized HardRock Sport). Considering that this bike cost me less than half as much to rent as a Roubaix would have ($100 for 4 days, vs. $200), I thought it was a great economizing move. I put about 130 miles on the bike during the parts of 5 days (afternoon of day 1 to morning of day 5) that I had it, and I would definitely rent this one again if it was half the cost of a higher-end road bike.
Old 05-09-16, 10:33 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by haudi
Need to get fit and have fun doing it. Picked up a '16 Sirrus Elite Disc earlier this week and have already put 25 miles on it (not much for the seasoned folks, but a lot for someone who hasn't been on a bike in years!) I having so much fun on this bike it makes me feel like I am 12 all over again on my first big boy bike.

Great looking bike, I can relate to that feeling of being 12 all over again.
Old 05-10-16, 09:00 PM
LowlifeGorilla

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any issues with their brakes? I have a 2016 sirrus sport disc and I'm dealing with loud squealing, shuddering, and spongy brakes. The bike is 2 months old and only has 200 miles on it.
Old 05-11-16, 07:07 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any issues with their brakes? I have a 2016 sirrus sport disc and I'm dealing with loud squealing, shuddering, and spongy brakes. The bike is 2 months old and only has 200 miles on it.
I have the same bike and it's one month old. No issues with the brakes at all, they work great. Maybe take it back for an adjustment.
Old 05-11-16, 07:45 AM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I have A Sirrus Pro Carbon and had some brake squeal from my Magura brakes. Take the brakes shoes out of the Caliper, lightly sand them and then clean the with isopropyl alcohol. Do the same to your rotors. Then re-bed your brakes. Helped my problems. Sometimes as careful as you can be you can get over spray from lubing your bike on your pads or even just contaminants from the road. This helped my squeal issues. You can also view the process on YouTube
You also mentioned spongy brakes, you may have some air in your brake lines. Bleeding may be necessary. Try cleaning and re-bedding and if that does'nt help, a trip to the LBS may be necessary to have your brakes bled.

Last edited by TomWinKC; 05-11-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-12-16, 02:27 AM
naishdude1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ...just new here, as I was looking to find similar problem cases as I had with my Specialized Sirrus Expert 2015.

I am not an expert in these technical parts with /from bikes, just got this bike for my 60 birthday, and I just love it ( drove an old Raleigh alu trekking bike which was 20yo, then a E-bike flyer....but that was nothing for me, so I start looking over the internet, and came out on a Koga and the Specialized. The Koga was faster but was not so easy in the fast corners it wanted to keep going in a straight line, the Specialized was more versatile, and as I do a lot of city riding too, this was my choice.

After 6 months, the crank was coming loose, and the shop replaced some washers( I could not see or exactly hear, but the mechanics in the shop, were shaking their heads, they also had a lot of problems to get it out.

After this was done, I maybe rode another 50 km, and the same problem came with a knackering noise.
I went back and then they replaced the complete crank with some other brand, since then no problems anymore.

Now 5 months later my friend who purchased at the same time a Specialized Secteur, got the same problem, he said to me , hear this and immediately I pushed his pedal arm left to right and you could see the complete crank ad chain blade moving.
As we are in Spain in vacation, we were lucky to have a Specialized dealer in the next village, and the guy shook his head and recognized the problem.
He too, took no risk and replaced the complete crank, gave us a detailed invoice and the old crank and adviced us to show it to our dealer.

I searched on several websites for an email address of specialized and found one, I wrote them an email with my complaint and if they recognized the problem, and would address it on their safety/recall part of the website, but they did not even make the effort and politeness to answer me...
shame on you Specialized.
But I love/ like my bike
cheers
dude
Old 05-14-16, 07:34 PM
Enzo954

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few questions from a newbie:

I plan on getting my first bike in over a decade. I went to 2 bike stores and I'm torn on what size Sirrus to get. I'm 5'9" and my inseam is about 30" from the floor to the crown jewels (I hope that's the correct way to measure my inseam!).

One guy told me to go with a large Sirrus and the other shop told me that medium would suit me better. I'm kind of on the cusp of both size bikes. They both felt fairly comfortable to me with maybe the medium getting the slight advantage. When I straddle the bike standing should the frame be touching my nether region or should there be some clearance? The medium gave me about an inch of clearance while standing. Any opinions on which size a person of my stature should get? I realize it's subjective but are there any pros or cons?

Also, when do the 2017 models get released? I'm looking to purchase a carbon model but figured that I might as well wait to check out the new models if they are around the corner.
Old 05-14-16, 07:59 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enzo954
Few questions from a newbie:

I plan on getting my first bike in over a decade. I went to 2 bike stores and I'm torn on what size Sirrus to get. I'm 5'9" and my inseam is about 30" from the floor to the crown jewels (I hope that's the correct way to measure my inseam!).

One guy told me to go with a large Sirrus and the other shop told me that medium would suit me better. I'm kind of on the cusp of both size bikes. They both felt fairly comfortable to me with maybe the medium getting the slight advantage. When I straddle the bike standing should the frame be touching my nether region or should there be some clearance? The medium gave me about an inch of clearance while standing. Any opinions on which size a person of my stature should get? I realize it's subjective but are there any pros or cons?

Also, when do the 2017 models get released? I'm looking to purchase a carbon model but figured that I might as well wait to check out the new models if they are around the corner.
You're a medium
Old 05-15-16, 11:43 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Sora shifts fine.

I rented a Specialized Sirrus in Maui last year from Maui Cycles (the frame was Aluminum, but with a Carbon fork and Zertz inserts in the rear stays). I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the bike performed and handled - it was much closer to my road racing bikes than it was to my MTB (which is an Aluminum Specialized HardRock Sport). Considering that this bike cost me less than half as much to rent as a Roubaix would have ($100 for 4 days, vs. $200), I thought it was a great economizing move. I put about 130 miles on the bike during the parts of 5 days (afternoon of day 1 to morning of day 5) that I had it, and I would definitely rent this one again if it was half the cost of a higher-end road bike.
Agreed. The new Sora stuff coming is looking pretty snazzy too.
Old 07-17-16, 10:58 PM
adamc1303

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey new here. I just got my self a Sirrus Carbon X1. I used to be very into cycling around 13 years ago. I was on a bike 7 days a week for both commuting and leisure. I have gained a lot of weight since then and now weigh 343 LB. I just went through weight loss surgery and lost 35 lb in the last 6 weeks. I should keep losing wight very quickly for the next few months. However I was reading that there are weight limits for some bikes. I also noticed that the carbon frame is very soft, meaning I can squeeze it a bit. Do I have to worry about ruining this bike frame? Or can it handle me for a little while as long as I keep getting lighter ? I do have an old Allez that I really don't want to use because I really enjoy the way I feel on this bike Vs. a more aggressive road bike.

In addition I have been reading that the stick wheels are very heavy. What is a good wheel set to go with on this bike?

Here's a picture of the new bike.

Thanks,

Adam
Attached Images
2016-07-18 00.22.14.jpg (92.3 KB, 1017 views)
2016-07-18 00.21.59.jpg (89.9 KB, 1003 views)
2016-07-18 00.21.55.jpg (88.4 KB, 995 views)
2016-07-18 00.21.49.jpg (92.8 KB, 1009 views)
Likes For adamc1303:
Old 07-18-16, 05:51 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
2017s are all up on the Specialized site! Quite a jump from Sirrus to Sirrus Sport now....
Old 07-23-16, 01:39 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to my LBS today and check out the Sirrus line. I like it and the looks of it and I am ordering the x1. They going to let me try it out when it gets here and even get a higher stem (exchange @ no charge) to make me comfortable on the bike before I buy it.
Old 07-23-16, 06:30 PM
puma1552

Anyone's LBS have '17s on the floor yet?
Old 07-23-16, 10:41 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by adamc1303
Hey new here. I just got my self a Sirrus Carbon X1. I used to be very into cycling around 13 years ago. I was on a bike 7 days a week for both commuting and leisure. I have gained a lot of weight since then and now weigh 343 LB. I just went through weight loss surgery and lost 35 lb in the last 6 weeks. I should keep losing wight very quickly for the next few months. However I was reading that there are weight limits for some bikes. I also noticed that the carbon frame is very soft, meaning I can squeeze it a bit. Do I have to worry about ruining this bike frame? Or can it handle me for a little while as long as I keep getting lighter ? I do have an old Allez that I really don't want to use because I really enjoy the way I feel on this bike Vs. a more aggressive road bike.

In addition I have been reading that the stick wheels are very heavy. What is a good wheel set to go with on this bike?

Here's a picture of the new bike.

Thanks,

Adam
I'd stay with the stock wheels for a while, unless you are unhappy with them from the start.

You might find that you are happy with them, as noticeably better wheels will probably cost you near half the price of your bike.
Old 07-24-16, 10:14 AM
arondee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like there is very little (if any) difference between the 2016 and 2017 Sirrus Expert Carbon Models
2017 Sirrus Expert Carbon
2016 Sirrus Expert Carbon

I did spot a couple differences and I can't find anything to help me figure out if they are good changes or bad. I have 3 questions I'm hoping you all can answer.

1. On the 2017 the wheels are called "Axis Expert Deep" and on the 2016 they are called "AXIS 2.0 Disc". Does anyone know what's the difference or are they the same thing with a new name?
2. On the 2017 the brakes say "Shimano Deore, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 160mm rotor" and on the 2016 they say "Shimano BR-M447, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 160mm rotor". Again are these the same exact brakes?
3. I weigh about 242lbs and I noticed that the weight limit for the carbon bike is 300lbs but the limit for the seat post is 240lbs. Have any of you 240+ riders had any problems with the Specialized CG-R, FACT carbon seatpost?
Old 07-24-16, 08:11 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by arondee
It looks like there is very little (if any) difference between the 2016 and 2017 Sirrus Expert Carbon Models
2017 Sirrus Expert Carbon
2016 Sirrus Expert Carbon

I did spot a couple differences and I can't find anything to help me figure out if they are good changes or bad. I have 3 questions I'm hoping you all can answer.

3. I weigh about 242lbs and I noticed that the weight limit for the carbon bike is 300lbs but the limit for the seat post is 240lbs. Have any of you 240+ riders had any problems with the Specialized CG-R, FACT carbon seatpost?
It is hard to imagine that with the built in tolerance they have for any recommended weight, you would not be fine with the CG-R seatpost, but if you are concerned and plan to lose weight, just start off with a different seatpost till you are a bit lighter.
Old 07-24-16, 11:15 PM
BigL_RIP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering selling my 2015 Expert, modified to beyond Pro levels. Every single thing on the bike has been changed save the shifters. DuraAce FD, Ultegra RD + 11 speed cartridge, SLK-Light CF crank, Easton CF bars, 3T full CF stem (not CF overlaid metal), Specialized CF bar ends, Easton CF wheels + stock Axis with tires. Unridden Schwalbe Evolution HD Marathon Supreme tires also. Couple seat options. Xpedo pedals. Ziff light skewers. CF bottle cage attached. Whole setup (from new) ridden maybe 5 miles, literally. Shaved several pounds + lots of rotating mass. please email me at dsozomenu@aol.com as I'm not on the forum much.
Old 07-25-16, 11:21 AM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Found this thread after starting my other one...anyone test try the new Sirrus Sport Carbon?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/118220
Old 07-25-16, 05:48 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prtyich
Found this thread after starting my other one...anyone test try the new Sirrus Sport Carbon?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/118220
Last year model and this model looks to be the same. I am getting the x1.
Old 07-26-16, 09:26 PM
puma1552

Honing in on a '17 Sirrus Sport:

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...s-sport/115229

Looks like a great bike at that price point.

But I have one concern - microSHIFT shifters and front derailers? Looking all over online and only finding very mixed reviews if not a bit on the negative side, but those are all 5-6 year old reviews.

Would the microSHIFT components scare you away from this bike? Not interested in spending any more, so don't want to go up the chain - I'd go down get a base disc instead and save some money.
Old 08-01-16, 02:18 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Sirrus bike have this on the sticker: ISO 4210-2:2014

LBS says its 2017, but what does this sticker means?

How do you find out what year model is?
Old 08-01-16, 03:00 PM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe its a ISO standard from 2014? There was no X1 in 2014. Look under your toptube. On my Sirrus carbon it says 22/04/2014

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.