Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LX

Old 07-10-16, 08:50 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
What is the most important in a triathlon? Is it the run? That would be my guess.
Old 07-11-16, 04:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
^ You can't suck at any of them.
Old 07-11-16, 04:32 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
Thanks.

CD had a really good race. She started out a little rough. She came out of the water mid-group. She got with a good draft group and made up some distance on the bike. She had a decent run and finished well.

C2 was doomed from the start. The run from the swim exit to the bike in transition was long and uphill. And, the poor girl just isn't a runner. She came into Swim/Bike transition near the end. Had a good bike ride, but the final run killed her and she finished last.
Ouch. I assume you're helping her work on that - there are races that have a quarter mile run out of the water, so it's unavoidable. Not to mention the whole run leg.

But, good work to CD!
Old 07-11-16, 04:57 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by PepeM
What is the most important in a triathlon? Is it the run? That would be my guess.
That's a complicated question - you can only win in the run, of course, but you can certainly lose in the swim or the bike (or transition, for even more fun). Further, extreme run fitness can mean nothing if your bike fitness is low enough that you can't get off the bike and run close to as hard as you can fresh and, the fitter you are on the bike, the less it will take out of your run.

Personally, I did well with focused run training and "good enough" bike training, which meant lots of getting passed on the bike and lots of passing people back on the run.

The longer distances (half-iron and ironman) make the bike more central.

But, in draft-legal tri as these girls are doing, it's swimming and cycling that are most important, quite clearly, because you must be in the first or second swim pack because you must be in the first or second bike pack to have a shot of accomplishing anything. All the run speed in the world won't save you if the fast cyclists went flying away from you in a beautiful peloton while you struggled with the weak ones, or burned all your matches trying to catch up.
Old 07-11-16, 06:21 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I only got cussed at by two motorists.
Imagine how many if they knew you.
Old 07-11-16, 06:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
If I were younger, and could swim, I'd be interested in triathlons. I'm a good runner and a decent cyclist. When I lived in the city it was customary for me to bike to the basketball or handball courts, then go for a long ride after a couple of games.

Of course I'd have to learn how to swim.
Old 07-11-16, 06:59 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Apologies in advance if you think this question is impertinent. No offense intended. But why is someone who is not at all a good runner doing triathlons? Wouldn't focusing on a single sport she is good at make more sense...and be a whole lot more fun? Wouldn't it be more rewarding. Is there some sibling/peer pressure going on here?
It is a legitimate question and a topic that has been discussed between myself and Mrs. Doug28450 on several occasions. Two weeks ago Mrs. Doug28450 had a discussion with Clown 2's diving coach as well. As one can guess, there are several issues involved. One is that C2 enjoys the triathlons, until it gets to the running portion of the race. C2 also likes diving, a lot. She is also progressing quite well as a diver and this brought on the discussion with the dive coach. The dive coach believes that she has the ability to do very well at diving, however, he also said that the running required to be good at the running sports she has been doing (cross-country, track, tri) will hurt her as a diver. So, after some discussion with her, she will be backing off the running. She wants to dive and is pretty good at it, so, that is what we will help her focus on.
Old 07-11-16, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Big protest in town this morning. The sound of choppers is filling my office.
Old 07-11-16, 07:20 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Second place in my TT by two seconds. Dropped my chain, took me maybe 4-5 sec to pedal that back on. We're not going to think about that. Eight women racing today- we three fastest times were within 11 seconds of each other.

PR for me on the course, I pretty happy with it. Technically rode well, good splits, good power. Not as smooth as I'd like but I was being kind of lax with my upper power limit today, I'd been riding strong all week and didn't want to limit the top end needlessly. Despite that, raced with a VI of 1.0, which is as good as you can get re: power variability.

Really like the TTs, just fascinating to me. It's very interesting trying to race these things perfectly.

Yeah!

And the chain drop: ouch. That's one of those things that if I decided I didn't want to "blame" my finish on it, I don't think I could ever bring myself to tell anyone it happened. I would just let it eat at me endlessly on the inside. That's why you're a better person. But seriously, great job!
Old 07-11-16, 07:22 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That's a complicated question - you can only win in the run, of course, but you can certainly lose in the swim or the bike (or transition, for even more fun). Further, extreme run fitness can mean nothing if your bike fitness is low enough that you can't get off the bike and run close to as hard as you can fresh and, the fitter you are on the bike, the less it will take out of your run.

Personally, I did well with focused run training and "good enough" bike training, which meant lots of getting passed on the bike and lots of passing people back on the run.

The longer distances (half-iron and ironman) make the bike more central.

But, in draft-legal tri as these girls are doing, it's swimming and cycling that are most important, quite clearly, because you must be in the first or second swim pack because you must be in the first or second bike pack to have a shot of accomplishing anything. All the run speed in the world won't save you if the fast cyclists went flying away from you in a beautiful peloton while you struggled with the weak ones, or burned all your matches trying to catch up.
I agree with this assessment.

In a non-draft tri, swimming is the least important of the three disciplines. A decent swimmer who is a good cyclist and good runner can still time well. Obviously, if it takes an hour to swim 500 m, you can't make that up on the bike and the run to be competitive.

Hummer has the draft legal assessment spot on. You have to get out of the water first and you have to get with and feel comfortable and a peloton.

Yesterday, in CD's race the first two girls (we know one of these two girls, Jordan) out of the water had about a 30 second lead on the next group. The two got out of transition together and headed out together on the bike. The two of them didn't work well together and soon got swallowed up by the next group of about ten girls who were working well together. That group of twelve worked together pretty well.

The boys race after those girls was fun to watch. There was some very good biking in that race. The boys had six to ten racers in groups and all looked to be working well together.
Old 07-11-16, 07:29 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Had a weekend of real life fun, what'd I miss around here?

Also, can we ban that Pokemon game? It's only been around for what seems like a week and it's already annoying the hell out of me. Why is everyone jumping on the band wagon for a children's anime game anyway?
Old 07-11-16, 07:31 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Yeah!

And the chain drop: ouch. That's one of those things that if I decided I didn't want to "blame" my finish on it, I don't think I could ever bring myself to tell anyone it happened. I would just let it eat at me endlessly on the inside. That's why you're a better person. But seriously, great job!
Seriously. $hit happens when you're racing. You have to roll with the punches.

My coach raced at Nationals in the tandem TT. His partner came unclipped and his foot went into the front derailleur. They actually had to stop, get off the bike and fix it, one minute of stopped time in the middle of a TT. And they STILL won by 30 seconds. That's actually more bad a$$ than just winning by 1:30 IMO. Because its way harder to keep your head in the game when something goes wrong than if everything goes perfectly.

Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
Old 07-11-16, 07:43 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Had a good/bad weekend. My mom is not allowed to have the 4-year-old overnight ever again. I don't even know why she was staying at my mom's place Saturday night, but I dropped her off and my mom and some of my other family came up to have a birthday lunch for my wife, aunt, and mother the next day. She came back to us majorly short on sleep and ended up being a disaster to deal with once everyone left. Just breaking down over every little thing. Once I finally got her in bed and was telling her a story, she was out within minutes.

In cycling news, I did a short jaunt to check out part of the course I'll be riding this Saturday. Got chased by a dog uphill on a gravel road. You can probably see my HR spike where it happened. I was mostly checking to see how the first long drag north on the pavement would be. With a good tailwind, it should be a chance to relax, but after a bit you get into some short steep hills. The second gravel road on the course is actually pretty fast with a slight downhill and then kicks up a bit, but not so steep you can't keep a good pace. Which is handy when the dog comes after you. It was pretty muddy after the freak storm the previous night, but not impassable. The tires worked great at 45f/55r.

It was also a good chance to test out the new hydration pack and make sure the fit was dialed. It felt great and not at all intrusive/heavy. Overall, I'm starting to think I need to focus on survival for the ride. It will probably start at around 95 degrees and get as low as 80 if I'm lucky by midnight. The last one I did stayed relatively cool and then got rained on. I haven't been riding much in the heat this year, and it really sucks it out of me. Maybe I'll have to shoot for sub 5 hours for the 70 miles.
Old 07-11-16, 07:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP

Also, can we ban that Pokemon game? It's only been around for what seems like a week and it's already annoying the hell out of me. Why is everyone jumping on the band wagon for a children's anime game anyway?
I expect it will go the way of angry birds and Tae-Bo.
Old 07-11-16, 07:45 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Dan333SP

You have to remember, we were just behind the Pokemon craze around our age group. So you basically have people as old as 30 that grew up with it and are currently playing the mobile version. So yeah, you're gonna get a lot of "adults" playing it.
Old 07-11-16, 07:57 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Seriously. $hit happens when you're racing. You have to roll with the punches.

My coach raced at Nationals in the tandem TT. His partner came unclipped and his foot went into the front derailleur. They actually had to stop, get off the bike and fix it, one minute of stopped time in the middle of a TT. And they STILL won by 30 seconds. That's actually more bad a$$ than just winning by 1:30 IMO. Because its way harder to keep your head in the game when something goes wrong than if everything goes perfectly.

Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
For sure, you have to roll with the punches. 4-5 seconds spent on a dropped chain is no different than 4-5 seconds on a hill because you didn't shift early enough. It would just eat at me really bad if it was a mechanical issue to the point that I wouldn't let myself tell anyone. This is 100% a psychological issue on my part.

Honestly, Only losing 4-5 seconds on a dropped chain in the heat of the moment is pretty badass in my opinion. Last couple of times I've done that, I ended up having to stop completely. I couldn't manage to pull the chain back up with the FD as I know it should work. But as I've said before, I suck at riding. That was also with those damn Q-rings. I've never dropped a chain on a bike I've set up with standard rings.
Old 07-11-16, 08:00 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Speaking of 4 seconds. I lost a KOM to some young punk kid a few weeks back. I've been trying to get it back and have made two attempts one was 4 seconds shy the other 2 seconds. I'm sure they weren't even trying...
Old 07-11-16, 08:01 AM
PepeM

I played the first Pokemon, but I sure am not into that anymore.

The answer is because everyone seems to be a manchild these days. Just look at how many people seem to still enjoy Disney/Pixar movies. You're no longer 12, time to move on.
Old 07-11-16, 08:02 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

In weekend news: My wife's firm had a company outing on Friday, they rented a "corporate suite" at our local minor league baseball team's home game. The whole thing costs probably the same as a lower level seat at a "real" MLB game, and it came with unlimited food and booze plus an air-conditioned room on the 3rd base line and comfy leather seats out front. Pretty awesome. Our team won with a walk-off hit in the bottom of the 9th, so it wasn't bad baseballing, either.

Gotta love minor league ball, if you don't care too much about the actual players you're watching it is all the fun for a fraction of the cost.

The next day we spent 5 hours tubing down the James river. We've lived here 5 years and only just realized we can do this, and it's literally 10 minutes from our house. Got a cooler tube full of adult beverages and had fun bouncing through some small rapids and watching the world move slowly by.

Good times all around, other than having too strong a headache to make my Sunday group ride.
Old 07-11-16, 08:02 AM
PepeM

Originally Posted by RPK79
Speaking of 4 seconds. I lost a KOM to some young punk kid a few weeks back. I've been trying to get it back and have made two attempts one was 4 seconds shy the other 2 seconds. I'm sure they weren't even trying...
I've never had a KOM.
Old 07-11-16, 08:06 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I've never had a KOM.
Helps to create your own segments on obscure roads (especially gravel).
Old 07-11-16, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Nice work @Heathpack!
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by RPK79
I lost one over the weekend too. Lost it by 8 seconds on a 5.5 mile long segment, so that's a pretty tiny gap considering the distance. Unfortunately it's just far enough away from town that I have no reason to ride there ever again other than Strava trolling. Guess I'll have to let it go.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've never had a KOM.
Take the path less traveled.
Old 07-11-16, 08:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I played the first Pokemon, but I sure am not into that anymore.

The answer is because everyone seems to be a manchild these days. Just look at how many people seem to still enjoy Disney/Pixar movies. You're no longer 12, time to move on.
Yes, heaven forbid an adult have fun. Best idea is to just werk werk werk all the time. Once you're 25, time to stop doing childish things like riding bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.