Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Are Junk Miles?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Are Junk Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 07:18 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's just wrong that "junk miles" - the actual riding, not the plan - can't perform the same function (recovery for instance). The only thing about the way you ride a "junk mile" that gives it different effects in training, that makes it "junk", is that it isn't one the trainer or plan told you to ride. The rest (no HR zone 3 for example) has no credible basis that I've seen.

Are you familiar with the more recent fad of Polarized Training?
Junk miles are commonly referred to as those ridden at a mid level of intensity - too high to be used as recovery but not high enough to elicit a decent training response. They will help, but just won't be optimal for increasing performance.

Training for maximal performance is hard work and most people are not interested in the suffering required to extract their absolute best. It's much easier and more comfortable to ride around at tempo than banging out VO2Max intervals.
Old 08-03-16, 07:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Junk miles are commonly referred to as those ridden at a mid level of intensity - too high to be used as recovery but not high enough to elicit a decent training response. They will help, but just won't be optimal for increasing performance.

Training for maximal performance is hard work and most people are not interested in the suffering required to extract their absolute best. It's much easier and more comfortable to ride around at tempo than banging out VO2Max intervals.
You're right, both paragraphs.

But look at that definition, which is what I've had in mind. The definition presupposes the conclusion, while providing nothing that concretely describes a junk mile. It doesn't really define anything (which should generally make one skeptical). It doesn't make much sense unless you assume a context - and everyone seems to assume that the context is "training", but that's wrong. The junk mile ride in one schedule is the training ride in another. There is a training response, just like there is a training response in the easy Z2 ride. The realistic context is "a specific training plan".
Old 08-03-16, 07:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No I'm informed of all that, and it doesn't relate to what I said was arbitrary and had no basis. I don't think we're on the same page about what I said has no basis. It's the concept of the "junk mile" (you're talking about all the other training miles, and all of that is well known to everyone reading, I hope). It is an arbitrary construct with no purpose other than to limit the total stress of training during a given time period. There is nothing intrinsic about these "junk miles" that makes them useless. I have seen no empirical data, anywhere, to support that conventional notion but I have seen training plans which specifically included the type of riding that people call junk miles. The concept relates to a specific plan, not to specific riding.

It's just wrong that "junk miles" - the actual riding, not the plan - can't perform the same function (recovery for instance). The only thing about the way you ride a "junk mile" that gives it different effects in training, that makes it "junk", is that it isn't one the trainer or plan told you to ride. The rest (no HR zone 3 for example) has no credible basis that I've seen.

Are you familiar with the more recent fad of Polarized Training?
I am ignorant of the term polarized training.

Do you have a link that explains it for the beginner?

-Tim-
Old 08-03-16, 07:39 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Get with @Carbonfiberboy All I know of it is that the training is "polarized" between VT1 rides and 90% of maxVO2 or higher. My only point is that much of conventional training would be "junk miles" in this scheme (not easy enough).
Old 08-03-16, 07:42 AM
gregf83 

-Tim-
Are you ignorant of google?
Old 08-03-16, 07:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I've always heard the term "junk miles" used to refer to those sections of a ride that are A) ugly, B) densely trafficked by automobiles, C) heavily-laden with traffic lights or other interruptions that prevent a cyclist from developing and/or sustaining any kind of rhythm or momentum, or D) all of the above.

It's easy enough to proclaim "any miles are good miles" but when you have to ride 15 miles along Union Turnpike in close proximity to speeding cars with a stoplight every block and nothing but junkyards, auto repair shops, and bodegas on either side of you just to get to the pristine suburban roads, those are definitely "junk".
This is the way I have always understood the term "junk miles".
Old 08-03-16, 08:03 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Polarized training sounds like what I do in January.
Old 08-03-16, 08:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Are you ignorant of google?
Are you familiar with the words arrogance and condescension?
Old 08-03-16, 08:16 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Polarized training sounds like what I do in January.
That's what I told myself all winter, although somehow I forgot about the high intensity end of it
Old 08-03-16, 08:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You realized you left your wallet (etc) at home and have to make the same trip 3 times.
Old 08-03-16, 08:25 AM
gregf83 

Are you familiar with the words arrogance and condescension?
I'm genuinely curious why someone looking for knowledge on a topic wouldn't type it into google. I'm also surprised someone giving advice on training has never heard of the term 'polarized training'.
Old 08-03-16, 08:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Whoa ... I've always understood the term "junk miles" to refer to the miles added to an otherwise great route on an organized ride just so it comes to an even 100/200 miles/km. And yea ... sometimes they really are kinda junky in comparison to the other miles on the route.
Not how I've heard it used, but I really like your definition more than the traditional that I learned in running.

In running years ago, it was always very low intensity (I guess you'd call it zone 1 now) miles when you weren't recovering. Just going as slow as possible so you could say you'd gotten in X miles but with putting in the least effort possible. Miles that you logged but didn't help your conditioning or recovery. In essence, miles that your coach said you'd wasted your time with.

Last edited by himespau; 08-03-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 09:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Get with @Carbonfiberboy All I know of it is that the training is "polarized" between VT1 rides and 90% of maxVO2 or higher. My only point is that much of conventional training would be "junk miles" in this scheme (not easy enough).
Historically, "junk miles" refers to time on the bike which does not create a desirable training response. For those who use zones, it's zone 3. For those who don't, it's the amount of effort that tires you out but neither makes you hurt nor is easy enough to be done all day. It is said, "Most cyclists train neither hard enough nor easy enough." OTOH if you couldn't care less about training response, just ignore the term and ride however you want.

"Polarized training" refers to training as much as possible at either hard or easy levels and as little as possible in between. Training at easy levels is aimed at increasing fat burning. Training at hard levels is aimed at increasing aerobic and anaerobic ability. Combine the two and you have a strong rider. Not training in between these levels avoids:
1) getting tired so that one is not able to train at the high levels required to maximize training response and
2) always having the fuel lactate in one's system which depresses fat burning.

For more information, see:
https://vimeo.com/98353863
https://www.antoniocgomes.com/wp-con...e-enduran1.pdf
Polarized training has greater impact on key endurance variables than threshold, high intensity, or high volume training

If I may use the sexist term, Thomas Chapple wrote a seminal book in 2006 on the subject of increasing fat burning, Base Building for Cyclists.
Old 08-03-16, 09:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Training for maximal performance is hardwork and most people are not interested in the suffering required to extract their absolute best. It's much easier and more comfortable to ride around at tempo than banging out VO2 Max intervals.
I recently posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...last year I developed for myself my Time-restricted,Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine.,”as discussed on this Fifty-Plus thread, “Riding versus Training” (also with other goodtraining tips).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
About two weeks ago I described a new training routine for myself combining a well-established Ten Week Century Training Schedule of daily mileage goals with a personalized intensity scale based on ”Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).” My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding…
I’m still riding it, and enjoying more than ever.
BTW, my resting heart rate is 48 bpm, sometimes lower (Honest )
Old 08-03-16, 09:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I'm genuinely curious why someone looking for knowledge on a topic wouldn't type it into google. I'm also surprised someone giving advice on training has never heard of the term 'polarized training'.
I never gave advice. I explained what the term "Junk Miles" means.

Having been off the bike for seven or eight years and just getting back into it during the past year, most of my knowledge is based on classic heart rate/lactic threshold zone training ala Burke and Friel circa 2006. If Polarized training is something relatively new then I would not have heard of it. I am also unfamiliar with the details of training with power as it was not as widely used when I got off the bike.

I asked for a link for the same reason someone would ask for a book recommendation rather than browsing Amazon or driving to the book store to look at books on the shelves. I thought the poster might have specific knowledge on the subject and could recommend good information.

This thread is proof that just because something comes up in a google search doesn't mean that it is good information.

-Tim-
Old 08-03-16, 09:52 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You realized you left your wallet (etc) at home and have to make the same trip 3 times.

Oh I've done that! Arrive at work only to realize I've got to turn around and head right back for something critical.

This thread has been enlightening at least. I don't train so the concept of junk miles is meaningless to me; all my miles ridden are good miles.
Old 08-03-16, 09:54 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

That's what I told myself all winter, although somehow I forgot about the high intensity end of it
A 36lb bike, wide squishy heavy tires, 15lbs of clothing....and plowing through snow, ice potholes and heavy snow. That really is an intense workout.
Old 08-03-16, 11:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The realistic context is "a specific training plan".
I'd accept that modification to what I was trying to say. I think we're in agreement over the basic definition; the devil, as they say, is in the details.
Old 08-03-16, 12:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'd accept that modification to what I was trying to say. I think we're in agreement over the basic definition; the devil, as they say, is in the details.
I agree.

Question has been answered.

/thread
Old 08-03-16, 04:49 PM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'm reminded of Miles Davis' reply to one of his new sidemen when he asked him "what if I play a wrong note?". Miles responded, "There are no wrong notes". I tend to think there are no "Junk Miles" either.
Old 08-03-16, 05:07 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I didn't mean to be difficult, just arguing my case.
Old 08-03-16, 06:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by hfbill
I'm reminded of Miles Davis' reply to one of his new sidemen when he asked him "what if I play a wrong note?". Miles responded, "There are no wrong notes". I tend to think there are no "Junk Miles" either.
I like that. There are rides to enjoy the town, enjoy a vintage bike or a bike of your choice. Our summers are too short to call any ride "junk miles".
Old 08-03-16, 07:01 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Anyone using the term "junk miles" could be riding for the wrong reasons and has perhaps lost sight of the value of the precious moments we are given in this life.
Old 08-03-16, 09:45 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
defined!

Old 08-04-16, 03:48 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I often get on my bike, get my heart rate up but not near peak, get my breathing up to just before gulping air and go for 10 miles. No goals, Strava off. It just feels good.

Going for that today I think~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.