Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Running Shoes fine to Cycle in?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 06:56 PM
TripleB67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding my, as you all know by now, GF Mamba Mountain Bike (with roadish tires) in a pair of Mizuno running shoes that I wore to run in...back when I was a runner.

Do road shoes such as the Giro Grynd Road Shoe offer me anything better than what I get just riding my bike in my running shoes? And do road shoe sizes line up pretty well with other types of shoes?

Thank you for your help...reached the 11 mile mark on my ride today (after only my 4th ride) - not much compared to many of you but I had to train for 6 months before I could run over 10 miles

TripleB67
Old 09-17-16, 07:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wear regular street shoes for cycling. Given a choice, I prefer something with a stiffer sole, such as hiking shoes.
Old 09-17-16, 07:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7726 Post(s)
Liked 3,660 Times in 1,929 Posts
Running shoes tend to be a little small ... . couldn't get much speed up between the heel and toe, I'd think. Try clown shoes.

More seriously, the stiffer the sole, the less stress on your foot, the fewer foot cramps, the greater efficiency ... but I used to have really strong feet and cycled in kung-fu slipper sometimes.

Sizes can be dodgy ... usually a site like Nashbar will have comparative size charts but it can still be dodgy ordering online.
Old 09-17-16, 07:26 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
it really depends on the type of pedals that you are using. and if you have problems with your current shoes, like foot numbness, hot spots.
If you start having foot problems, you may want to look at shoes that have a stiff sole and spreads pressure across the entire foot instead of just where the pedal meet shoe.
Old 09-17-16, 07:36 PM
builderguy

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend some bike shoes. I also used my running shoes, for a while. Mizuno also.
Then new balance, which were stiffer.

Now I have bike shoes. They are better. You just need to commit. Bottom line is, I'm no longer a runner. I'm a novice biker. Might as well embrace it.

Last edited by builderguy; 09-18-16 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Spelling. Darn small keys on phone.
Old 09-17-16, 07:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
When I first started cycling more seriously, I knew I needed shoes with stiff soles, so I managed to find a pair of walking shoes that had a good solid, quite stiff sole and I rode with them for a few years.

Then I went to road cycling shoes which were great while I raced, but when I got into randonneuring, I decided that mountain bike cycling shoes were the better option.
Old 09-17-16, 08:01 PM
TripleB67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
More seriously, the stiffer the sole, the less stress on your foot, the fewer foot cramps, the greater efficiency.
I understand what you're saying...it's almost like a delay in the response I get from pushing on the pedals and when the power from the push gets to the pedals!

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
it really depends on the type of pedals that you are using. and if you have problems with your current shoes, like foot numbness, hot spots.
I'm using the pedals that came on the bike when I purchased it back in 2000. They seem pretty 'grippy' when using my running shoes. No foot numbness (only numbness I ever get is sometimes in my left hand) or hot spots...very comfy but like I mentioned above not very responsive!

Originally Posted by builderguy
Now I have bike shoes. They are better. You just need to commit. Bottom line is, I'm no longer a runner. I'm a novice biker. Might as well embrace it.
What type did you get? True, I'll never be a runner again (after microfracture knee surgery in 2012)...now I'm a cyclist! Really hate I waited this late in life (49) to start...absolutely loving it and I've only been committed to it for 5 days now!

btw...here are the shoes I was talking about
: Giro Grynd Road Shoes

Thanks for all the responses so far!!!

TripleB67
Old 09-17-16, 08:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7726 Post(s)
Liked 3,660 Times in 1,929 Posts
I hate laces ... but that's just me. They are actually very appealing shoes ... for me, particularly if I could install cleats and cover them and still walk normally. But those would definitely be stiff enough.
Old 09-17-16, 08:14 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I dug out my old adidas Sambas when I switched from riding mostly flat pedal mtb's in lightweight hikers to my current road bike with toe clips. Any kind of tread seemed to catch the pedal at times when getting my foot out of the clip. I have gone on several 20+ mile rides a week in them with no pain or discomfort. They serve me fine, as your shoes probably would, until I decide I really need proper cycling shoes

Last edited by jeffreythree; 09-17-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 08:24 PM
TripleB67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
I dug out my old adidas Sambas when I switched from riding mostly flat pedal mtb's
I have a pair of those

TripleB67
Old 09-17-16, 08:47 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Since my mtb has not clipless pedals i use always running shoes on it. Maybe using them is wrong but i'll use becouse they are confy and more lightweight than others type.
Old 09-17-16, 09:10 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I'd rather walk in running shoes than run in riding shoes!
Old 09-17-16, 09:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleB67
Do road shoes such as the Giro Grynd Road Shoe offer me anything better than what I get just riding my bike in my running shoes?
In my estimation, no, and here's why: If there is any "flexing" it would come at the ankle, and stiff soles can't do a thing about that. But keeping my ankle from flexing seems quite easy, even when standing and hammering. I notice no difference in ride times or comfort when using cycling specific shoes. Of course off the bike there's no contest... running shoes for the win.

Now if you were an aspiring racer who's logging tons of miles, yeah, there might be some small noticeable/trackable advantage there. But for you where you are now? I highly doubt it. Of course if spending $$$ is no object, give 'em a whirl and see for yourself.
Old 09-17-16, 09:25 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I ride with running kicks all the time on my platform pedals. No soreness or pain or any discomfort of any sort.
Old 09-17-16, 09:34 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
[B]

I'm using the pedals that came on the bike when I purchased it back in 2000. They seem pretty 'grippy' when using my running shoes. No foot numbness (only numbness I ever get is sometimes in my left hand) or hot spots...very comfy but like I mentioned above not very responsive!

btw...here are the shoes I was talking about
: Giro Grynd Road Shoes
The brand and model would tell more about the pedal than they are the ones that came with my bike. I have know idea.

If you are looking at the shoes that you linked, are you ordering them online? I wouldn't do that unless you have tried them on at a store somewhere. the fit of cycling shoes is all over the place, and if you have narrow or wide feet, some brands are wide and some are narrow and some are in-between
Old 09-17-16, 10:22 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My only real rule is "no laces" - had 1 too many laces come untied and sucked into the chain.
Old 09-17-16, 11:03 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I use large mountain bike platform pedals. My feet and toes go numb in running shoes. I need to get a stiff soled shoe. I looked at my steel toe tennis shoes one day and thought, that might work. Been wearing them ever since, LOL. Still need to get just a nice stiff soled hiking shoe for the bike
Old 09-17-16, 11:21 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
My only real rule is "no laces" - had 1 too many laces come untied and sucked into the chain.
After relearning how to properly tie my shoes (lots of u-tube video's on this) I've yet to have a lace come untied. On the bike the exposed ends and loops also get tucked into the shoe for extra safety. I often ride fixed gear where a loose lace caught in the crank/chain ring could cause a really bad day.
Old 09-18-16, 04:18 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The difference between running shoes and cycling shoes is that cycling shoes have shanks so they don't deform under load.
These are needed in any pedal that loads on the ball of your foot.
Otherwise part of your pedal energy goes into straining your arch, taking away pedal efficiency and possibly causing arch pain (Plantar fasciitis).
Check Chrome sneakers, etc., which are made for cycling and have good shanks built into them.

Where you can get away with running shoes, sandals, etc., are large platform pedals, where the foot load is distributed evenly in front and behind your arch.
As demonstrated in replies above, even this doesn't work for everybody. I personally can ride 80+ mi in my Merrells on my platforms without strain or circulation pinch.

Something else about circulation pinch. Our feet swell when we cycle - our blood goes there, so don't lace your shoes tightly.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-18-16 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 07:00 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The entire point of cycling shoes is that they allow you to mount cleats for clipless pedals. I see no reason to buy cycling shoes unless you plan to join the modern world and buy clipless pedals.
Old 09-18-16, 07:08 AM
TripleB67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
it really depends on the type of pedals that you are using.
Here are the pedals I have on my GF Mamba:

TripleB67
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pedal Small.jpg (86.1 KB, 371 views)
Old 09-18-16, 07:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 837 Posts
I mostly commute and use toe clips. For years I had worn old sneakers and such and was happy. four years ago I bought skateboard shoes. They have a thicker, stiffer sole. I am now happier.
Old 09-18-16, 07:42 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,048 Posts
I use pedals similar to what bulldog1935 shows in his post above. For shoes I use a (tennis) court shoe; court shoes tend to have a stiffer sole than running shoes, and a less aggressive tread pattern on the soles, so they'll grip the pedals a little better.
Old 09-18-16, 09:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I've been riding my, as you all know by now, GF Mamba Mountain Bike (with roadish tires) in a pair of Mizuno running shoes that I wore to run in...back when I was a runner.

Do road shoes such as the Giro Grynd Road Shoe offer me anything better than what I get just riding my bike in my running shoes? And do road shoe sizes line up pretty well with other types of shoes?

Thank you for your help...reached the 11 mile mark on my ride today (after only my 4th ride) - not much compared to many of you but I had to train for 6 months before I could run over 10 miles

TripleB67
The Giro Grynd looks interesting. I presume because it is a cycling shoe, it would be stiffer than a running shoe, which is a good thing. I recommend you try clipless pedals. Once I went clipless, I never went back.
Old 09-18-16, 09:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
they do compress with every downward pedal stroke, a hard sole bike shoe will not mush every downward pedal stroke.... But

if you will walk or run then you have to change shoes , such as is done on swim-bike-run triathlons.

so it depends on context ..

I ride in the shoes I'm going to wear at work , on a concrete floor..

if I were riding my bike all day long .. then..

I'd put on different shoes and another kind of pedal on the bike.

your running trainers will be fine for non ambitious JRA cycling..

./.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.