Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's Completely Happy with Their Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-03-16, 08:19 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of these threads are on people who are trying to improve an existing bike or buy a new bike.

But who is perfectly happy with their bike? Who is *not* looking to make any changes to their existing build and just ride it. What is the build?

I'll say with the addition of the compact 38cm bars my Breezer Venturi is now as good as it gets for a steel racing geometry bike (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ike-850-a.html for build details). The tingling hand stuff I had was due to an unlevel saddle.

I don't intend to change it for a long time. Anyone else in that boat?
Old 10-03-16, 08:31 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I will be happy with my road bike, once my November wheelset shows up...
Old 10-03-16, 08:32 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One here, but it's a benefit of picking each item and putting it all together yourself. Semi-custom Lynskey R240 titanium frameset. SRAM Force22 groupset. Cane Creek 110 headset. Lynskey Pro Road Carbon #2 fork. Ritchey Classic bars and stem. Lynskey Ti seatpost (zero offset). fi'zi:k Antares saddle. Shimano PD-6800 pedals. Personally-built wheelset (Pacenti SL23 rims on BHS hubs). King Cage - Iris King Cage bottle cages. Conti GP4000II 25mm tires. Jagwire cables and housings. Bike is in the 16.5 lb range.

That is my "forever" bike.

On the other hand, I'm looking at offloading the CAAD and picking up a hybrid because I'll be carting around 2 kids in the coming months. Traveling to race (there are none local) isn't going to be a thing for the next 2-3 years. The CAAD is great, but if I keep it I'd like to upgrade to 11 speed, lighter wheels, and a better crankset.
Old 10-03-16, 08:35 AM
Inpd

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
One here, but it's a benefit of picking each item and putting it all together yourself. Semi-custom Lynskey R240 titanium frameset. SRAM Force22 groupset. Cane Creek 110 headset. Lynskey Pro Road Carbon #2 fork. Ritchey Classic bars and stem. Lynskey Ti seatpost (zero offset). fi'zi:k Antares saddle. Shimano PD-6800 pedals. Personally-built wheelset (Pacenti SL23 rims on BHS hubs). King Cage - Iris King Cage bottle cages. Conti GP4000II 25mm tires. Jagwire cables and housings. Bike is in the 16.5 lb range.

That is my "forever" bike.j

On the other hand, I'm looking at offloading the CAAD and picking up a hybrid because I'll be carting around 2 kids in the coming months. Traveling to race (there are none local) isn't going to be a thing for the next 2-3 years. The CAAD is great, but if I keep it I'd like to upgrade to 11 speed, lighter wheels, and a better crankset.
Nice term, forever bike!

I'm guessing most of us will have done our own build? We will see.
Old 10-03-16, 08:35 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm torn on my reply. I'm always looking for a new toy be it pedal or motor powered (I love Harleys too) but in all honesty I'm extremely happy with my bike. It's got some miles on it but it's going to see a lot more. It's a 15 fuji Altamira with an ultegra group, rs81 wheels, corsa open tires with latex tubes and speedplays and about 16-8 ready to ride. I could buy a lighter bike but this was my second roadie after being an mtb guy forever and my first century first 250 mile week first all kinds of stuff so I'm attached.
Old 10-03-16, 08:42 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I am. My primary road bike is a Look 695 with Campy Super Record, ~13lbs depending on which wheelset / ride I'm doing.
Old 10-03-16, 08:42 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Inpd
Nice term, forever bike!
It's a bull**** term IMHO. Do people really think they're going to be riding one bike for the rest of their lives? Unless you're in your 70s, I think that's wishful thinking. Plus getting new bikes is one of the great joys of cycling, why deprive yourself?
Old 10-03-16, 08:43 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I am.

Trek Emonda SL6 with stock Ultegra 6800 group set, Garmin Vector PM, November Rail 52 wheels and Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires. I put different bar tape on and two bottle cages, which I think are the plastic Bontrager type. Added an outfront Garmin mount too. The bike is great.
Old 10-03-16, 08:44 AM
hogger453

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love mine. Have no intention of getting any other.
Look 585 bought a long time ago. Dura-Ace 7800.

I have some others but I ride the 585 all the time.
Old 10-03-16, 08:47 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_lha
It's a bull**** term IMHO. Do people really think they're going to be riding one bike for the rest of their lives? Unless you're in your 70s, I think that's wishful thinking. Plus getting new bikes is one of the great joys of cycling, why deprive yourself?
That's a pretty shallow interpretation. All it means, at least to me, is that is the bike I'll keep as long as I have the capacity to keep it. Being Titanium, it won't corrode and it's highly unlikely to fatigue under regular use. Nothing will stop the unforeseen from removing the bike from my possession.

Furthermore, it does not mean I can't have more bikes. In fact, there are 9 bicycles in my home at the moment (well, 8, since the CAAD is right here in my office with me).
Old 10-03-16, 08:49 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Me.
Old 10-03-16, 08:50 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by silversx80
That's a pretty shallow interpretation. All it means, at least to me, is that is the bike I'll keep as long as I have the capacity to keep it. Being Titanium, it won't corrode and it's highly unlikely to fatigue under regular use. Nothing will stop the unforeseen from removing the bike from my possession.

Furthermore, it does not mean I can't have more bikes. In fact, there are 9 bicycles in my home at the moment (well, 8, since the CAAD is right here in my office with me).
It may be a shallow interpretation, but I've seen it repeated many times on here and elsewhere. People seem to long for a bike that will be their "last bike". I'm baffled as to why.

Sounds like your definition of a "forever bike" is different from others though, so fair enough.
Old 10-03-16, 08:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Most of these threads are on people who are trying to improve an existing bike or buy a new bike.

But who is perfectly happy with their bike? Who is *not* looking to make any changes to their existing build and just ride it. What is the build?...

I don't intend to change it for a long time. Anyone else in that boat?
As the Meatloaf song goes,"Two out of three ain't bad." I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding, but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersome as a Wet/Winter beater. So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.

Now, the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding, and now I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Humvee, and a Lexus.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-03-16 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 08:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It's all in how you look at it. My complaint is that my work/family schedule allow me to only ride 2 or 3 times/week. I would rather ride pretty much every day.

So I don't like my schedule/obligations. The bikes are fine, probably better than I "deserve."
Old 10-03-16, 09:02 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I'm never satisfied with anything, but I'm very content with my bikes. That's why I have 6 of the same brand. In case of accident, fire, theft or act of God.
The frame being the heart of the bike, I'll just upgrade components if I ever get bored with them.
Fwiw, the Ironman is the perfect frame for Me, although I may get a front derailleur tab put on one of them as that's the only thing I wish They had done.
Old 10-03-16, 09:03 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my most precious bike has now been under my undership for almost exactly a decade. steel lugged de rosa, faema colors, just upgraded to campag chorus 11sp (just before they switched to ugly cranks), carbon/DTs wheels... titanium everything else

i love it. but at the same time im actively shopping for a +1 bike. who isnt
Old 10-03-16, 09:04 AM
Farby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had a campy equipped lynskey that was supposed to be my forever bike. I sold it and bought a 1969 beetle. Sold the beetle and bought an Evo. I will upgrade wheels, pedals and things like that over the next year or two.

My mentality changes on things with time.
Old 10-03-16, 09:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My grandfather rode a "Six Day Special" frameset built by Oscar Wastyn in the 1930s (the geometry that would later become the Schwinn Paramount.) Though the components changed over the years-- it was initially built as a brakeless, fixed gear track bike, and eventually got all the way up to a Campy 5-speed-- he rode that same frameset for over 50 years. So if ever there was a "forever bike" I would say that's it.

In my context, I'm very happy with my bike, but parts/components change all the time. I've averaging ~280 miles a week this summer, so I go through chains, tires, etc., at an extreme rate. Hell, I wore out a set of SPD pedals this year-- I was to my 3rd set of cleats, and the pedals were just constantly squeaking, even with the tension cranked up to take out the slack. When I replaced them, I went with completely different pedals. My big chainring is starting to sharktooth, and when it gets replaced, it will likely be a different brand altogether.

So in short-- yes, I'm very happy with my big 'ol tank*. But it is not perfect.

How much does it weigh? I dunno. "Pounds." It hasn't seen a scale in over a year, and it was basically a different bike then. But it's no 16lbs like everyone on here shoots for.
Old 10-03-16, 09:09 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I am.

Trek Emonda SL6 with stock Ultegra 6800 group set, Garmin Vector PM, November Rail 52 wheels and Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires. I put different bar tape on and two bottle cages, which I think are the plastic Bontrager type. Added an outfront Garmin mount too. The bike is great.
same here, 2016 sl6 w/ultegra. this was a 'why not spoil yourself?' gift and i am not really an avid cyclist. i am not putting 5k miles on it per season like a lot of folks on this forum. but i honestly cant imagine needing another bike after this one.... i hope that comment doesnt come back to bite me in the a55
Old 10-03-16, 09:13 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not? My current favorites I have no intention of getting rid of. Doesn't mean I can't add to the collection later, but I am really not even interested in 'new bikes' unless it's a custom frame and built myself the way I want it. Getting a new bike might be a great joy for you, but others might have great joy in keeping one bike going and going. Think of it as sentimental value (and also being frugal) while those that have to keep getting new stuff seem to be more interested in the vanity of it, keeping up with Johnsons, etc.

I have plenty of 'life time' tractors and garden tractors from the 1950's to 1970's. Despite modern 'advancements' I doubt they'll ever build a tractor as tough and reliable and will last as long as my John Deere 60 will. I also have what I hope will be a 'life time' truck, my '09 F350. Its still young with barely over 100k on the odo, but I plan on keeping it till it falls apart and then putting it back together. And I can save a boatload of cash and use it on something that matters more to me, like property and house.

While my main roadie isn't high end or super elegant, my mid-grade '88 Schwinn Tempo that I've retrofitted with a mix of more modern parts is my favorite riding road bike and currently have no plans to get rid of it. I got the higher end parts like DA 7800 crank a RD for cheap used, and great deals on new stuff too. It's unique since it uses an atypical blend of brands like Campy Ergopowers, mated to Dura Ace crank and RD, and XT mountain cassette and 1x drivetrain, Velo Orange Grand Cru bar and pedals. Fits me well and works great, and even having to buy parts piece by piece still cheaper than new and a combo of just what I wanted.

Last edited by T Stew; 10-03-16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 09:15 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by T Stew
Why not?
I'll say it clearer: I meant people who are looking for that "one perfect bike" that will be their main bike for the rest of their lives.

I do not mean people who have bikes they don't intend to sell, but still go and buy many other bikes and ride them.
Old 10-03-16, 09:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I am content with my three bikes....Masi Gran Criterium, Guru Sidero (steel) and Colnago World Cup CX. Actually I'm more than content. Love them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0238.jpg (97.0 KB, 364 views)
Guru 2014 001.jpg (97.0 KB, 364 views)
Old 10-03-16, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Me. Other than an initial stem swap in the first week and the occasional replacement of tires, the bike is in its original "form" more than 1.5 years later.
Attached Images
new bike 2.jpg (97.5 KB, 360 views)
Old 10-03-16, 09:24 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This one:

2013 Kestrel with Campy Super Record EPS.

Untitled by DaveQ48XYZ, on Flickr

Photo from the day I picked it up. It's been a very comfortable bike.

I keep all of my bikes ... but the concept of "the last bike I'll ever buy" is only going to happen if I get too old and too sick. Technology keeps improving, and I want to keep up with it. Comparing today's bikes to 1990s bikes ... they're exciting ... I look forward to what's coming down the pipe in years ahead.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 10-03-16 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 09:37 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am

Happy with my bike! Mostly because it's so much better than my old one and I got a good deal on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.