Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 03:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Welcome, @pthemis! There was/is a rather famous 'Peka' brand from Amsterdam, but they used a different trademark. From another BF post by fellow member Elev12k. In this case PEKA is short for PEperKAmp:

However, the 'Peka' name was used by many more people with the P.K initials in these parts.
It's difficult to date the bike form these pictures, as the basic omafiets design hasn't changed much over the last hundred years. Based solely on the rear light I'd guess 1950's.
See if you can find any names and/or codes on the hubs. They may provide a clue as to their production year, and if they're original, to the bike as well.

Old 08-22-16, 03:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
WOW, thanks very much non-fixie!

The three x's in the head emblem remind me of Presto. Do you know if there is any connection between the two marques?
Old 08-27-16, 03:48 PM
pthemis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omafiets detection

Thank you Non-fixie.

I did look for info on the hubs, but they are covered with a layer of rust. I'll try to remove the rust with some rust solvent. Nothing on the bottom bracket casing or on any other spot on the bike, except from 1) the rear light which writes on its top side the brand KOETS and then NL and 2) the saddle is of the Gouden Leeuw brand .

I understand that the commoness of this type of bike coupled with hardly any info / tags on the bike makes it perhaps impossible to date and identify. But, one can only try, right?

Again, thanks very much.

Themis
Old 08-28-16, 02:18 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Apart from other connections: the three x's are from the coat of arms of the city of Amsterdam. Framebuilder Peter Serrier worked for both, BTW.

Originally Posted by juvela
WOW, thanks very much non-fixie!

The three x's in the head emblem remind me of Presto. Do you know if there is any connection between the two marques?

Old 08-29-16, 11:11 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Apart from other connections: the three x's are from the coat of arms of the city of Amsterdam. Framebuilder Peter Serrier worked for both, BTW.
Grazie Tanto Don non-fixie!
Old 08-30-16, 03:55 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 729 Posts
Didn't know this thread existed. I've been spamming the English 3-speed topic with my new vintage Dutch bike, here's the picture:

Here's the story

I like to keep an open mind and an eye on the rest of the world, but I'm afraid I'm very Dutch about cycling, love the upright position, admire the durability and need the all wheather features and the very low maintenance. All credit to the creativity of the French Engineers, hats off to the English inventors, respect for German craftsmanship, Italian and Belgian style and American innovators. But for me the Dutch high end roadster is the best as an end product.

Originally Posted by pthemis
I understand that the commoness of this type of bike coupled with hardly any info / tags on the bike makes it perhaps impossible to date and identify. But, one can only try, right?

Themis
The head tube looks quite tall, but I'm not sure. If it's more than 25 cm from chrome ring to chrome ring, that might tell you something because the taller ones are quite exceptional and I once have come across a list of taller headtubes and the years they were produced if I remember correctly. Don't know if I can find that list again though.

Interchangability of parts won't be a big problem though, if you want to keep it original it might get more complicated.
Old 08-30-16, 12:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Now, THAT is a gentleman's bicycle. One does not wear jeans or sneakers when riding such an elegant piece of machinery.

Originally Posted by Stadjer

Old 09-02-16, 03:46 AM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Now, THAT is a gentleman's bicycle. One does not wear jeans or sneakers when riding such an elegant piece of machinery.
I draw the line at riding in shorts, with the informal dress habits of the local peasants, a gentleman should not ride distinguished in an ostentatious way. A gentleman is never in a hurry anyway, so I raised the handlebar and lowered the saddle a bit and catch more wind, not sweating of course, that's just a matter of restraint.

I had to change the rear tube, the rubber around the valvestem had cracked. The drivetrain and chain case is best left untouched unless necessery, so I used a fork spreader which I put a few layers of tape on not to punch the chaincase. I changed to 0-lock to one that takes a plug in chain but it was just a little bit fatter, so it touched the shifter cable, I didn't want to avoid that by moving the cable wheel down because that would leave it too free from the top tube. So I moved the lock to the back of the rear fork and turned it around. With the key and handle on the other side, it's something to get used to, but not a problem at all.
Old 09-04-16, 10:40 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Didn't know this thread existed. I've been spamming the English 3-speed topic with my new vintage Dutch bike, here's the picture: >>>> SNIP >>>
WOW! I want one!!

It resembles the once ubiquitous orange Japanese post office bikes that are now out of service (AFAIK). I met an owner at a convenience store the other day who was riding a very nice example — leather saddle and all. He said he had found it in a second hand shop. Lucky dude. I'm going to start looking. Japan Post must have auctioned them off.

Your bike looks gorgeous. I ride my vintage racers (including a Gazelle) but I really crave this type of bike for my townie rides. BTW — the post office bikes were/are single speed.
Old 09-04-16, 10:53 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
1973 RIH Model Campagnolo I bought this frame from a Polish Ebay seller last year ($40 shipping to the US!).
Brilliant! Beautifully done. Congrats. A machine to envy.
Old 09-05-16, 10:13 AM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by Lenton58
WOW! I want one!!

It resembles the once ubiquitous orange Japanese post office bikes that are now out of service (AFAIK). I met an owner at a convenience store the other day who was riding a very nice example — leather saddle and all. He said he had found it in a second hand shop. Lucky dude. I'm going to start looking. Japan Post must have auctioned them off.

Your bike looks gorgeous. I ride my vintage racers (including a Gazelle) but I really crave this type of bike for my townie rides. BTW — the post office bikes were/are single speed.
It's really nothing special, these kind of bikes have been around since the 1920's in every country and produced in many countries. Some have parallel tubes, some not, the angle on one or both tubes varies, the length of the head tube, the height of the handlebars, the height and curve in the fork, the combination can make a lot of difference in the riding position and feel, but often it only makes a little difference that you get used to very quickly. The all wheater low maintenance approach with it's fully enclosed chain and drum brakes might be typically Dutch, and the rods always remained an (expensive) option after cable brakes were introduced.

So I guess you must be able to find a simular bike, the main difference is that these Gazelle's until the late 80's were build very well and together with the all weather low maintenance features made that most of them are still around. And they were quite a big share of a market that was large relative to the population anyway. So it's probably harder to find one and you'll have to pay more, but I guess a postman's bike provided by the postal services will be sturdy by design. I prefer a 3-speed, 3rd gear especially, but single speed has it's charm too.
Old 09-09-16, 05:53 AM
Marty1

Bikes: Colnago C50, Le Jeune Roadbike, Pacific Carry Me Foldup, Chopper MK2, Chopper MK3, Benotto Vintage, Zeus Roadbike, Zeus Pista, RIH Pista, Tigra Professionel 531, Union Vederlicht, Peugeot Prestige Tange 2, Hetchins Pista, Raleigh Sunbeam Chipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIH Pista - now fixedgear, Bustraan Amsterdam.
Old 10-15-16, 09:15 PM
CuttersRidge

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some great bikes here,

There was an Eroba on CL, quickly snapped up, a Le Gran Prix I believe. It didn't look like an upper level bike, still interesting. I'm not sure if there are any Erobas in this thread, I have been looking.
Old 10-16-16, 03:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I've been spamming the English 3-speed forum as well. Time to post some pictures here too.
Old 10-16-16, 08:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Here is my Gazelle Grand Tourist:

I bought it like a classic city/touring bike. but I have since swapped the stems, handlebars and a few other bits and pieces to make it fit me.

I'm converting it to a dropbar bike so I can use it for faster long range trips and put a nice front rack on for some camping trips.
Old 10-16-16, 01:53 PM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Here is my Gazelle Grand Tourist:

I bought it like a classic city/touring bike. but I have since swapped the stems, handlebars and a few other bits and pieces to make it fit me.

I'm converting it to a dropbar bike so I can use it for faster long range trips and put a nice front rack on for some camping trips.
Nice one I always liked this classic Gazelle colour
Old 10-16-16, 02:28 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by pullup
Nice one I always liked this classic Gazelle colour
It has definitely grown on me. I have seen very similar bikes in a beautiful metallic blue or red but this golden brown looks just great when it is outside in the sun.
Old 10-19-16, 04:24 PM
tsenyuta

Bikes: Coicc "Mосква 84"; Ciocc TT; Concorde Aquila; Colnago Mexico; Benotto 3000; Lotus Supreme

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I'm not sure if Concorde Aquila would qualify as Dutch, but it certainly has some Dutch component. This is my Aquila with full Dura Ace 7400 set.
Old 10-20-16, 05:52 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tsenyuta
I'm not sure if Concorde Aquila would qualify as Dutch, but it certainly has some Dutch component. This is my Aquila with full Dura Ace 7400 set.
Concorde is a certainly a Dutch brand. You have a very nice looking one, very understated for a Concorde.
Old 10-20-16, 02:06 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Posted elsewhere before, but deserves a mention in this thread. An early fifties Super Vittorio. From Jan Groot's shop in Alkmaar.

Old 10-21-16, 03:06 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by CuttersRidge
Some great bikes here,

There was an Eroba on CL, quickly snapped up, a Le Gran Prix I believe. It didn't look like an upper level bike, still interesting. I'm not sure if there are any Erobas in this thread, I have been looking.
There were at least a couple, in the first picture of this post. We could use more Erobas in this thread, though. Especially early ones.

Old 10-24-16, 07:42 AM
Dizono

Bikes: '86 Champion Mondial, +/- 2000s Alu TT-conversion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
Thanks very much for sharing this beauty! What a treat.

In 1976 I had a customer come through my workshop in California who had just returned to the U.S. from living in Nederland. He brought with him two Presto framesets. They had the distinctive Presto touches like the X brake bridge. One way they were different from this example is that they were not fitted with headplates, employed a transfer instead. Did they go back and forth between headplates and transfers? His framesets would have been made about 1974.
Beautiful bike, but these photos were taken only hundreds of meters from the Presto-shop. No photos of this bike at it's birthplace?
Old 05-23-17, 03:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I've been playing with relatively modern bikes recently. Finally got this '84 Batavus done. Some small rust spots, but otherwise a fine bike:

And just when I was finished with that, I ran into this late seventies Bontekoe. Not really a Dutch bike, as it's actually a re-branded Italian Alan:

Old 05-23-17, 11:53 PM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Nice non-fixie I am on the lookout for the right Batavus as well. Great riding bikes
Old 01-12-18, 07:41 AM
Dieptriest

Bikes: Batavus Professional '84 , MEKK Poggio '14, Peugeot PX8 '78, '70 Presto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presto1

Hello,

I’ve seen some nice Presto’s and other Dutch bikes here, super.
The one I’ve got seems to be an early model and cot no idea who build it but see some similarities with the Presto on page 3.
This one also have a typical Dutch mixed build, Campy, Shimano, SR, Surgino and other 70’s stuff.
The previous owners sold it as a RIH that they bought by Presto in Amsterdam?
They als told me that it was a youth model. (if I got it right, is an Size 52)

A want to overhaul it for my wife, she drives a 1984 Koga size 50 now and that one is an bit too small for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.