Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kuat NV Stolen Off Car Beware

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 11:10 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

My super expensive Kuat NV was stolen off the back of my car in broad daylight right in front of my house in Portland today. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that there are a rash of robberies of Kuat racks, as well as a neighbor's Yakima hitch mount.

I called the local used bike rack store (ReRack) to give them a heads up to look out for it, and was told they have fielded 3 calls this week about stolen Kuats. I won't be replacing it, as it would apparently just be stolen again.

I was only gone for an hour at noon, and live in a high traffic area, so the locks must be very vulnerable for it to go unnoticed. Please lock your racks up in the house.
Old 10-30-16, 02:01 AM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. At least they didn't get your bike, too. What lock were you using--the Kuat lock with the bend in the bar?
Old 10-30-16, 12:42 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was installed with the Kuat pin.
Old 10-30-16, 05:10 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is that pin locking?
Old 10-30-16, 05:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Pfft. I had two Thule systems stolen off the roof of my car in less than one year. They were both locked on. One had been on the roof for more than a decade. Appears they pried them off with a crowbar. I now have a Subaru Forester. No need for a rack.
Old 10-30-16, 11:30 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Is that pin locking?
The pin is locking, although apparently garbage. Can't really put a muddy Mt. Bike in my car, but sure won't be buying another Kuat. It was stolen on a busy afternoon, so the lock must be incredibly flimsy not to draw attention.

Rack Attack told me Thule makes a hitch mount (T2?) that is harder to steal. Does anyone have input?
Old 10-31-16, 07:55 AM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a buddy that came back from work to the Park and Ride to find not only his rack gone, but the hitch as well - just 4 bolts laying on the ground behind his car. So, just because the rack is locked to the hitch, doesn't mean someone can't get it, if they want it.
Old 10-31-16, 10:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted rack, so naturally when I see on a vehicle in a parking lot I will eyeball it. I'm amazed at the number of them that don't use a locking pin. The other odd thing is that few of them don't have any bikes on them. Why would you leave the rack mounted in your hitch when you use it infrequently?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-31-16, 11:04 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've been thinking about buying a hitch mounted rack, so naturally when I see on a vehicle in a parking lot I will eyeball it. I'm amazed at the number of them that don't use a locking pin. The other odd thing is that few of them don't have any bikes on them. Why would you leave the rack mounted in your hitch when you use it infrequently?
I use mine 2-3 times a week, and to be frank, would rather leave it in the hitch than throw it in the garage between uses.

I don't plan on re-selling, so some rust on the hitch doesn't bother me.
Old 10-31-16, 12:10 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Portland Or (and maybe all larger cities) has become brutally bad for bike theft, and apparently bike rack theft too. My bikes arent worth much but I still dont leave them unattended anywhere for even a few seconds. It seems like people who get caught stealing - bikes, packages off of porches, retail mechandise, etc - either just get a citation or a very quick jail stay and release. The result is rampant theft everywhere. It's pretty sad.
Old 10-31-16, 01:10 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

I use something like this to secure my hitch rack.
And it seems pretty sturdy and safe.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-31-16, 01:46 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
1up usa takes a special hex wrench to remove. They use to have a replacement policy for stolen racks but they dropped it last year or so. I chain mine to the hitch for extra security.
Old 10-31-16, 03:44 PM
T800CF

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, Giant Anthem 27.5 3, Giant Defy Composite 1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always leave my rack in the hitch during the summer time. I just sold Saris Superclamp and bought Kuat NV. I don't know how bad Kuat lock is but looks like both locks are pretty similar. If someone really want to steal the rack, no matter what lock you use, it can be gone in seconds.

Last edited by T800CF; 10-31-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 05:39 PM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're not going to find a better/more secure rack than the Kuat NV from what I can tell. It can be stolen 1 of 3 ways that I can think of. Picking the lock, cutting through the pin, or removing the entire hitch (held in by bolts to your car). Other than maybe a better key/lock, I don't know what a different brand rack could do differently.
Old 10-31-16, 10:42 PM
Canker

and behind that

If you don't have the funky hex wrench you aren't getting the rack off.
Old 11-01-16, 02:52 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Portland Or (and maybe all larger cities) has become brutally bad for bike theft, and apparently bike rack theft too. My bikes arent worth much but I still dont leave them unattended anywhere for even a few seconds. It seems like people who get caught stealing - bikes, packages off of porches, retail mechandise, etc - either just get a citation or a very quick jail stay and release. The result is rampant theft everywhere. It's pretty sad.
One would hope that the thieves are drug addicts, and not fellow cyclists. At least the drug addict has a sickness he/she's dealing with that offers a modicum of an excuse, as opposed to just being a low life scumbag stealing another riders bike/gear to make it his/hers. One also might wonder if getting caught stealing a 10K bicycle will end up with the same penalty as stealing a BSO. At some point it becomes "grand" theft no?
Old 11-01-16, 12:27 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker

and behind that

If you don't have the funky hex wrench you aren't getting the rack off.

Where is the cable tied to?
Old 11-01-16, 02:02 PM
Canker

I'd assume one of the hitch's safety chain attachments spots. The cable isn't there to stop thieves. It is there to stop the rack from sliding off on the off chance the 1up mounting systems fails.

Last edited by Canker; 11-01-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 02:19 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have the 1UP like above but mine is not very secure since it does not have that welded-in security piece. I live in a quiet cul de sac and have had no issues yet though chances are it would happen at a trailhead or in my mountain condo, I guess. Denver in the urban areas, is pretty bad with petty theft. The burbs and other outlying communities are still good. Heck, I left once for 3 days and my garage door was open for two days before a neighbor called me.

Elvo, it appears that you have a cable from the lock to maybe one of the rings on your hitch, as a retention backup. Is that right? If so, could you show us a picture from the side?
Old 11-01-16, 11:05 PM
Canker

Those are just pics I grabbed off the net because my own pic sucks

I have tape wrapped around the chain because I had a rattle I was trying to track down, same thing for the little stick on felt pads you may notice around the lock.
Old 11-02-16, 08:40 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I'll do something like this except with a plastic-covered cable, if I can find an appropriate one. I'll do it mainly as a backup retention system. Mine has never come loose but I will be going on rougher roads next year that are deep in the backcountry.
Old 11-02-16, 10:22 AM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bolt cutter will easily remove both of the padlocks (and then the chain just falls right off) on that setup. That or a good pry-bar (although it'd be hard to get enough clearance on that second padlock). It'll deter the majority of people, but a determined thief will have no problem with it (same goes with U-locks on bikes). As mentioned before though, it's likely even easier to just remove the hitch's bolts and take the whole setup. It only takes a few tools and 10 minutes either way.
Old 11-02-16, 11:27 AM
Chandne

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about theft. My reason was to simply have a backup retention in case the tightening ball ever comes loose. If I ever have to leave my bike on the rack (rare) I have a hardened steel cable lock that can simply not be cut with a bolt cutter (we tried) and it is apparently very difficult to pick or get leverage to pry anything. They would have to either cut the rack or take the rack off. Spendy to buy those locks but I'd rather spend $100-$200 on a lock than lose a $7K bike.
Old 11-02-16, 01:32 PM
Canker

Originally Posted by Maconi
A bolt cutter will easily remove both of the padlocks (and then the chain just falls right off) on that setup. That or a good pry-bar (although it'd be hard to get enough clearance on that second padlock). It'll deter the majority of people, but a determined thief will have no problem with it (same goes with U-locks on bikes). As mentioned before though, it's likely even easier to just remove the hitch's bolts and take the whole setup. It only takes a few tools and 10 minutes either way.
If you look back at the other pics I posted though that padlock on the rack itself covers a special hex head bolt you have to loosen to remove a 1up rack. They don't use a hitch pin. The chain isn't to stop thieves. The chain is only there to stop the rack from falling off if the 1up retention system fails which is very very rare but it does happen. I carry one of the special 1up hex wrenches with me so I could steal all the 1up racks I want but most thieves won't have one.

Nobody is going to steal the whole hitch and they are more of a PITA to take off than you think on a lot of cars. My current car has a bolt head inside the frame that would just spin if you tried to loosen it and my other car has 4 bolt heads inside the hatch that would just spin if you tried to loosen them. A thief would have to cut those bolts off or break into my car in the case of my VW to get those 4 bolts off and the exhaust is in their way too. At the very least it would take more than 10 mins of fighting to get those bolts out.

Last edited by Canker; 11-02-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 07:28 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I am having a hitch installed. How much trouble is it just to remove the rack each time after use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.