Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pre & post warm-up warmdown

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 10:46 PM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much if any do you do before and after a ride?

..A ride where you need to shower afterwards...
Old 04-27-17, 12:14 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Warm up on bike 2 miles slight decline from home, easy 150 watts, 105 bpm.

200 to 300 watts, 125 bpm until about mile 7. Legs don't really feel ready for power until after about 20 minutes.

Cool down: 200 to 300 watts for final 2 miles, then slow circles in front of home until hr under 100.

Every ride ends with 15 minute yoga routine and or dog walk.
Old 04-27-17, 10:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The warmup seems to occur naturally with a slow pace at the start. I don't do a cool down but stretch regularly, particularly hamstrings and quads. I also use a Fit Stick roller to roll out knotted muscles.
Old 04-27-17, 11:11 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
If it is cold out I run about 1 mile on the treadmill before I ride. Otherwise nothing.
Old 04-27-17, 12:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For races, I'll warm up on a trainer. Typically, the shorter the race, the longer the warmup. For crits, the cooldown is usually a lap or two of softpedaling. For road races, it's generally an easy ride back to the car.

For just rides, I don't have a set warm-up/cool-down regimen. It's usually just taken care of by riding casually through town on the way out to or back from the open road.
Old 04-27-17, 01:07 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by boshk

Originally Posted by berner
The warmup seems to occur naturally with a slow pace at the start. I don't do a cool down but stretch regularly…
For me, that’s a ride of minimum of ten miles, and my commute is a minimum of14 miles.
I only warm up, and then ride at cruising pace to the end. When I first started a training schedule for a century, I noted at what mile I spontaneously realized I felt completely warmed up, i.e. I did not consciously look for it, and it usually occurred at about 6 miles. My basic riding routine is:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...last year I developed for myself my"Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive CyclistTraining Routine,"…based on Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).” My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding.

The RPE scale ranges from 6 to17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about…My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70% [described as“hard”; 60% is“somewhat hard," and 80% is “very hard" (lactate threshold;breakpoint between hard but steady breathing and labored with gasping. 50% is "fairly light" (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)].

I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE. Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 01:13 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no real warmup. i spin mostly downhill on the busier streets and the ride starts at a quiet place maybe 2km away.

warm down? usually roll back home in pain and waiting to collapse
Old 04-27-17, 01:24 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Try to start on flat ground to warm up. Always a stretch routine at the end.
Old 04-27-17, 02:21 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It takes me so long to "warm up" anymore that I rarely put forth the effort. I just HOPE the ride doesn't start off to hard and try and hang on until I'm functioning properly. Always do a mile or so of light spinning to cool down. Seems to pay off the next day.
Old 04-27-17, 06:12 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Most day to day workouts, I do a 20 min warm up & 10 min cool down. I'm pretty religous about this for any ride in which I put out serious efforts, whether an interval workout or just a lively ride with friends. Every now and then if I'm going out on a casual/easy ride, I might not formally warm up or cool down.

For a TT, I do a very specific warm up on a trainer for 35-40 min and a 15-20 min cool down.
Old 04-27-17, 06:39 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... I noted at what mile I spontaneously realized I felt completely warmed up, i.e. I did not consciously look for it, and it usually occurred at about 6 miles.
Interesting. When I raced, I usually managed to get right about 6 miles in just by riding to the venue. When I moved to the suburbs and had to drive, a lap of Central Park was the same 6 mile warm-up. However, normally it seems to take about half an hour, which even at a modest 14-15 mph is more than 6 miles.

Last Sunday, however, it took more like 40 miles to find my form, but that may be largely attributable to the fact that it was mid 40's when I left the house and I'd insisted on wearing shorts.
Old 04-27-17, 06:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
It takes me so long to "warm up" anymore that I rarely put forth the effort. I just HOPE the ride doesn't start off to hard and try and hang on until I'm functioning properly.
Originally Posted by caloso
For just rides, I don't have a set warm-up/cool-down regimen. It's usually just taken care of by riding casually through town on the way out to or back from the open road.
Might as well have come out of my own head. Depending on the climate and the terrain, it can take me 20-40 minutes to warm up. I sorta try to limit the output on the last 2-3 miles heading home, but I seem to fail at that more often than not.
Old 04-27-17, 07:00 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8830 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,729 Posts
I recently added a 10 minute cool down ( or until heart rate drops to a bit above resting rate) after hard rides. I had a scary incident where I blacked out after a 25 mile max effort in very dry/hot conditions..

Apparently I have been lucky the past 29 years of riding and avoided the combination of dehydration and little/no cool down. I always knew that you were supposed to cool down to flush out lactic acid and recover better but it never seemed to matter much and I would be lazy and not always do it.

What happens is all the blood will stay in your legs if you sit down or stand in place and low blood sugar from improper eating before/during the ride and dehydration,thickening the blood, can knock you out. When you are fit your heart rate can drop pretty fast and the heart will not be able to circulate the blood to your head. The bottom line is eat right, stay hydrated and Cool down so the blood can flow back out of your legs to the rest of your body. As long as you do those three things you should not have problem. Please google something like "blacking out after a hard workout" to make sure you get the facts right. Apparently this is fairly common.

I now build in a 2-3 mile cool down on hard efforts. I usually do out and backs so I will go out 14 and back 11 and cool down for 3 or something similar.
Old 04-27-17, 07:31 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I recently added a 10 minute cool down ( or until heart rate drops to a bit above resting rate) after hard rides. I had a scary incident where I blacked out after a 25 mile max effort in very dry/hot conditions..

Apparently I have been lucky the past 29 years of riding and avoided the combination of dehydration and little/no cool down. I always knew that you were supposed to cool down to flush out lactic acid and recover better but it never seemed to matter much and I would be lazy and not always do it.

What happens is all the blood will stay in your legs if you sit down or stand in place and low blood sugar from improper eating before/during the ride and dehydration,thickening the blood, can knock you out. When you are fit your heart rate can drop pretty fast and the heart will not be able to circulate the blood to your head. The bottom line is eat right, stay hydrated and Cool down so the blood can flow back out of your legs to the rest of your body. As long as you do those three things you should not have problem. Please google something like "blacking out after a hard workout" to make sure you get the facts right. Apparently this is fairly common.

I now build in a 2-3 mile cool down on hard efforts. I usually do out and backs so I will go out 14 and back 11 and cool down for 3 or something similar.
When you work out your veins and arteries while dilate to allow more blood to circulate in your system as your heart pumps more blood (otherwise your blood pressure would increase too much). When you stop your workout, for most people, the veins and arteries will contract as the heart slows down, but for some, they stay dilated as the heart slows down. This drops the blood pressure and can lead you to pass out. The "passing out" is the way your system tells you to lie down so the blood can go back to your brain.

I'm the lucky type that his veins and arteries constrict is synchronized with hear rate drop. Had my blood pressure checked as I was doing a stationary bike work out until I maxed out last Winter. My BP stayed at around 140 until I went all out, where it climbed to 180 and HR at 177. My HR dropped nicely with my BP.

I'm 54, I personally never do cool downs, warm ups or stretching. I ride twice daily 20 km which takes me about 45-50 minutes each time, depending on winds.
Old 04-27-17, 09:13 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No warm up. No cool down. No stretching. No muscle rolling. I decide how long and far I want to ride and do that at the pace I feel is right on a given day. From the get-go. Except for a sore prostate on one or two occasions when I needed to optimize my saddle, I have never had a cycling related use injury. Crash injuries sure, but no use injuries.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-27-17, 09:46 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No warm up. No cool down. No stretching. No muscle rolling. I decide how long and far I want to ride and do that at the pace I feel is right on a given day.
This is pretty much what I do as well. Never thought about warming up before a ride, prolly would though if I were racing - which I dont.
Old 04-27-17, 10:11 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Most day to day workouts, I do a 20 min warm up & 10 min cool down. I'm pretty religous about this for any ride in which I put out serious efforts, whether an interval workout or just a lively ride with friends. Every now and then if I'm going out on a casual/easy ride, I might not formally warm up or cool down.
Mine is quite similar. I find my legs much more effective during the ride if I warm up properly and less soreness later with adequate cool down. Also find that the cool down leaves me in better shape immediately after a long hard ride. Rather than just collapsing, I'm adequately functional.

Same goes for running.
Old 04-28-17, 04:44 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't need to warm up beforehand or cool down after, you aren't doing it right.
Seriously, though, "warming up" is meaningless unless one intends to do something strenuous. Riding around for twelve hours may be exhausting, but it's not necessarily ever strenuous.
Old 04-28-17, 05:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by boshk

Before ...

Eat breakfast
Change into cycling kit
Gather up cycling gear and try to make sure I've got everything
Then either start off from wherever we are, or drive to the start ... and go.

Cycle 100+ km (those are the rides where we need to shower afterwards).

After ...

Shower and maybe stretch a little in the shower
Eat
Carry on with housework or homework or whatever.
Old 04-28-17, 06:40 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I ride with a group that goes pretty hard right out of the gate.
So I do a 20 minute light spin on the trainer before each ride.
No cool down.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-28-17, 07:18 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I'm generally not riding that hard anyways, but I will take it easier for the first couple of miles. A few miles from home I'll also wind it down a little. Much of this happens naturally due to the nature of my neighborhood (lots of stop signs and brick streets).
Old 04-28-17, 07:19 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I'm warming up right now...