Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 09:47 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jacbo123
hi, does anyone have a clue as to when the 2018 line of sirrus comes out? looking at the 2017 expert carbon x1 but thinking it'll go on sale once the 2018 line is released.

another question, how much better would everyone say a carbon bike is compared to aluminum? I test rode a carbon sirrus at my lbs and couldn't believe how much I liked the bike, but couldn't tell if it was some kind of new bike placebo effect

I felt that difference right away as well. Much less vibrations with carbon, a smoother ride. It's real.
Old 05-25-17, 09:22 AM
n0thing

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by green123
I felt that difference right away as well. Much less vibrations with carbon, a smoother ride. It's real.
Agreed. I noticed it almost immediately.
Old 05-25-17, 02:02 PM
PTzach

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Sirrus friends! I recently picked up a 2014 Sirrus Sport Disc that has 700x28 Nimbus tires. As a beginner rider I'm pretty untrusting of how narrow they are for taking them off pavement. As I get better at riding, are these tires appropriate for gravel? If not, can you recommend some specific tires for me to look into that would be good on pavement and gravel?
Old 05-26-17, 06:44 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I have the same tires on my Specialized Sirrus and I have taken my bike on packed dirt trails without any issues.
Old 05-26-17, 08:25 AM
PTzach

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitoj
I have the same tires on my Specialized Sirrus and I have taken my bike on packed dirt trails without any issues.
Sounds like I just need to bike more and boost my confidence! Thanks
Old 05-27-17, 10:00 AM
Dizzo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got done with a ride on my 2016 carbon comp. really glad I got last years model with tiagra instead on the this years sport. I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference, but I always feel better when I paid a little more for better stuff.
Anyone one the fence about this bike should pull the trigger!
I'd post pics but URL is lame lol
Old 05-27-17, 01:02 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dizzo
Just got done with a ride on my 2016 carbon comp. really glad I got last years model with tiagra instead on the this years sport. I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference, but I always feel better when I paid a little more for better stuff.
Anyone one the fence about this bike should pull the trigger!
I'd post pics but URL is lame lol
I just received my 2017 X1, there were 14 mediums left when I ordered, I was considering waiting for next years model but I am really happy with the spec on this years, and every day I waited is another day I am not riding it.
Old 05-31-17, 08:50 AM
castmasterflash

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone change there factory provided 700x30 blackbelt tires to a 700x28 tire and have comments they'd like to share on performance/feel they noticed?

(pics make it better)

Likes For castmasterflash:
Old 05-31-17, 09:20 AM
skids929

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by castmasterflash
Anyone change there factory provided 700x30 blackbelt tires to a 700x28 tire and have comments they'd like to share on performance/feel they noticed?

(pics make it better)

I went up to 32s (Xlpor MSO) and it made the bike ride even smoother, and I rip it up off road now too. Not sure why you would want to go down to a 28 but check the rim, I think it can take one but not sure.
Old 05-31-17, 10:44 AM
castmasterflash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Skids - I've been setting my bike up more towards a road bike set up - aero bars, close ratio cassette, dropping the stem angle from +6 to -17, and some other things.

The 30's are smooth but "heavy" in road cycling terms - i just would like to get some real world feedback on what going from "heavy" to less heavy feels like and performs like.
Old 05-31-17, 10:47 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It can take it. I've had 25mm and 28mm tires on that wheelset.

I'm currently running Vittoria Open Pave CG IIIs in 27mm and I like it. It feels more nimble with the tire. Ride quality has suffered but I ride on paved trails and don't find it bad at all but I wouldn't recommend it for gravel use.
Old 05-31-17, 11:07 AM
castmasterflash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by n0thing
It can take it. I've had 25mm and 28mm tires on that wheelset.

I'm currently running Vittoria Open Pave CG IIIs in 27mm and I like it. It feels more nimble with the tire. Ride quality has suffered but I ride on paved trails and don't find it bad at all but I wouldn't recommend it for gravel use.
OK, thanks. By chance, did you ride these Axis 1.0's with the 450g 700x30 Specialized Espooir's, to compare to the other tires you've tried? Notice the tires being any faster from one to the next? do you think 27 is the sweet spot on comfort and speed?
Old 05-31-17, 11:38 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, thanks. By chance, did you ride these Axis 1.0's with the 450g 700x30 Specialized Espooir's, to compare to the other tires you've tried? Notice the tires being any faster from one to the next? do you think 27 is the sweet spot on comfort and speed?
I've had the stock Specialized tires on two different Sirrus bikes so I'm familiar with them. The bike feels a bit less floaty at speeds above 20mph and it feels more nimble cornering wise. I'm on the heavier side so acceleration differences weren't really felt. It definitely feels easier to toss around. I couldn't give you a good measure of average speed as my limitations are physical and nothing to do with the bike. The 27mm Vittoria, IIRC, measures out to basically be a 25mm.

I personally enjoy the feel of a narrower tire and am fine with giving up a bit of comfort to get it considering my riding conditions.
Old 05-31-17, 11:40 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I don't ride a carbon framed hybrid, but I've found 700x32's to be just about perfect for me on my Fuji.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-17, 11:51 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The 30's are smooth but "heavy" in road cycling terms - i just would like to get some real world feedback on what going from "heavy" to less heavy feels like and performs like.
With tires, "less heavy" normally means less of a puncture protection belt, and a thinner carcass overall, which usually results in better ride quality. My hybrid (not a Sirrus), came with 700x35 tires that weighed between 700 and 800 grams each, and had a tread liner that you could definitely feel in the tire when it was off the wheel. The sidewalls were relatively thin, and the tread area itself was pretty stiff. I replaced those tires with 700x42 tires that weigh only 420 grams. Yes, only 420 grams, for voluminous 42mm tires. They have very thin sidewalls and a tread layer that is also very pliable (no real liner). Result is a nicer ride, even when aired up to a similar pressure as the 35s. I can air these up to 80 psi and roll forever on pavement like a road tire, or I can run them at 30 psi and ride gravel and hardly not notice that it's not paved.

Depending on the size of the gravel, I wouldn't recommend anything narrower than 35mm. Sure, anything CAN be done on just about anything, but you gain a lot of stability with a wider tire, and you really don't lose much (if any) speed on the pavement. There's an unavoidable gain in cross section (in terms of aerodynamics), and usually a weight penalty compared with some super light 300g road tires, but I think a 420g 42mm tire is an EXCELLENT compromise for an all-surface hybrid.
Old 05-31-17, 12:36 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
I don't ride a carbon framed hybrid, but I've found 700x32's to be just about perfect for me on my Fuji.

Cheers!
I run the 700 x 32s on my Fuji as well, and like them, but I also run 700 x 28s on my Trek and I really can't tell the difference. I like the 28s because they're a bit lighter and I can run higher pressure too.
Old 06-01-17, 12:58 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine came with 25mm tires and I still run 25mm now Conti gp4000||
The biggest I can take is 28mm. Maybe next time?!
Old 06-01-17, 05:21 AM
Greaper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axis expert deep? Specifications?

Hi there, I own a Sirrus Expert Carbon 2017 size L...coming from an Elite Disc 2015 size M, which had to go because it was a bit small. The Carbon frame and CG-R post make the bike more comfortable...for sure, less vibration, road quality in and near Bucharest, Romania is crap. I am currently using a set of 2015 Vittoria Rubino Pro 622-28 with Vittoria light tubes that came from the Elite Disc Alu...and they are very fast, in comparison with the Espoir Sport and standard tubes...probably give me 2-3 km plus on average per hour and comfort is ok. They have about 1800km in them and no signs of terrible wear. They weigh 265g and 85g the tube vs Espoir 450g and 150g tube. Half a kg(500g) off bike weight

I need some info, can someone help me**********?

I cannot find specifications for the Axis Expert Deep wheelset....please help? Are they anygood? They sound and look much better then the Axis Classic on the Elite Disc Alu, but I didn't get the chance to weigh them without the shimano discs! To me they seem a bit sluggish and flexy!

Helllpppp!

Last edited by Greaper; 06-01-17 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 09:27 AM
castmasterflash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greaper
Hi there, I own a Sirrus Expert Carbon 2017 size L...coming from an Elite Disc 2015 size M, which had to go because it was a bit small. The Carbon frame and CG-R post make the bike more comfortable...for sure, less vibration, road quality in and near Bucharest, Romania is crap. I am currently using a set of 2015 Vittoria Rubino Pro 622-28 with Vittoria light tubes that came from the Elite Disc Alu...and they are very fast, in comparison with the Espoir Sport and standard tubes...probably give me 2-3 km plus on average per hour and comfort is ok. They have about 1800km in them and no signs of terrible wear. They weigh 265g and 85g the tube vs Espoir 450g and 150g tube. Half a kg(500g) off bike weight

I need some info, can someone help me**********?

I cannot find specifications for the Axis Expert Deep wheelset....please help? Are they anygood? They sound and look much better then the Axis Classic on the Elite Disc Alu, but I didn't get the chance to weigh them without the shimano discs! To me they seem a bit sluggish and flexy!

Helllpppp!
thanks, I'm looking either the 26mm specialized s-works turbo which would save 450g or the Conti GP4000s in 28mm which would save 330g of the stock Espoir's.

I don't know about the Axis Expert Deep wheelset but the Axis 1.0's weigh 1950g for the pair and I think the Axis 4.0's only weigh a little less at 1830g. haven't great things about any of the custom designed for Specialized only, Axis wheels...

I just put the CG-R post on my Sirrus last night btw, road it this morning (comp Power saddle) but didn't really notice much.
Old 06-01-17, 09:50 AM
Greaper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the hints with regard to the Axis wheels! I want to determine if a new set of sub 300euro wheels would represent an upgrade...I am thinking about the Fulcrum Racing 5 DB + 2xAshima Ai2 ARO-09 160mm discs.

I would choose the Vittoria Rubino Pro III 622-28 anytime of the day (if u can find any)...less expensive then the Contis (bought the set for the price of one conti) and very similar in performance according to some detailed tests that I have seen! Some guys in my riding club (with road bikes) also advised me to go for the rubinos because they lasted longer then the gp4000 II. weight and durability are fine for the first 1800km, no punctures until know and I use the vittoria lite tubes.

I ride the Romin Evo Expert Gel saddle in 143 width, and I had it since the Elite Disc, and the first impressions in the first 100-200km on my default routes are very positive with regard to the carbon frame and CG-R post. There are less vibrations and shocks delivered to me through the saddle...and I am using the same tires and the same saddle, also the same pedals and Giro Gauge mtb shoes. At this point having ridden over 600km on the new bike I just got used to the new thing, can”t compare it anymore with the alu frame. But I know that what I am describing is very subjective!

If anyone has some more input on the Axis Expert Deep wheels, please be so kind as to share them!!!

Last edited by Greaper; 06-01-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 10:59 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I believe the Sirrus disc line (up to at least my model the Elite Carbon, unsure about nicer models) runs a 9x100 quick release up front and a 10x135 quick release in the rear. The brakes are six bolt and you'll need them to have a Shimano compatible hub in the back.

Make sure the wheels you're shopping for match that. Mavics can come pretty customizable so you might start there. I believe a lot of the Fulcrum line is for road bikes and doesn't really work well with hybrids.
Old 06-03-17, 04:27 AM
Greaper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n0thing
I believe the Sirrus disc line (up to at least my model the Elite Carbon, unsure about nicer models) runs a 9x100 quick release up front and a 10x135 quick release in the rear. The brakes are six bolt and you'll need them to have a Shimano compatible hub in the back.

Make sure the wheels you're shopping for match that. Mavics can come pretty customizable so you might start there. I believe a lot of the Fulcrum line is for road bikes and doesn't really work well with hybrids.
Yep, the Fulcrum Racing 5 DB is 9x100+10x135.

Soon I will just take out the discs and tires from the wheels to see what is what. Cannot find any info on the web about the Axis Expert Deep.
Old 06-14-17, 04:35 PM
Nid

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my 2014, still riding it often. Got about 2,400 miles since I got it. Very comfortable for sure. I was wondering those sponsor by Specialized switched out theirs Tarmac for Rouaix during cobblestone stage. Now I understand it

Got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc coming.

Old 06-15-17, 07:20 AM
castmasterflash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nid
Love my 2014, still riding it often. Got about 2,400 miles since I got it. Very comfortable for sure. I was wondering those sponsor by Specialized switched out theirs Tarmac for Rouaix during cobblestone stage. Now I understand it

Got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc coming.

Sweet Ride! what size are those gatorskinz - 28mm? Do you like them, hows the performance/wear? I might be interested in buying your old rims if they are for sale when you get your new ones
Old 06-15-17, 05:58 PM
Nid

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet Ride! what size are those gatorskinz - 28mm? Do you like them, hows the performance/wear? I might be interested in buying your old rims if they are for sale when you get your new ones

Thanks

Those are 25, the current set are at 793 miles and still have a lot of life left on them. Not sure about performance, the OEM Specialized got cut pretty bad about 200 miles in and I switched to Gatorskin since. I didn't have a lot to comparing them too.

They are pretty tough for sure. I am pretty happy with them in wet and dry condition. I was comfortable enough to roll about 25-30 mph in the rain.

And just came back from LBS with my new wheels
I am still waiting on my Shimano XT Cassette and 140mm Avid G2 clean sweep tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.