Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Chains

Old 05-26-17, 12:09 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Resurrecting an old thread rather than creating a new one...

Ordered what I thought was a blingy standard Izumi track chain...got an Izumi Jet Black through. Not seen much comment on them here. Interested to know what folks thoughts are on them if they have any previous?
That is the ECO, which is an awesome chain.

Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
I have an Izumi Eco chain and wanted to know if I could use a KMC or similar quick connector link on the chain vs the standard pin so I could remove it and swap with another length chain.

Not sure Izumi sells a quick connector link, so thus my question.

thanks all
I don't know and I wouldn't try it. Why? If it works, no big deal. If it doesn't, there could be drama. Not worth it to save $16 (the cost of a new Izumi ECO chain).
Old 05-26-17, 12:25 PM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome. Thanks sir

Originally Posted by carleton

I don't know and I wouldn't try it. Why? If it works, no big deal. If it doesn't, there could be drama. Not worth it to save $16 (the cost of a new Izumi ECO chain).
Old 05-26-17, 12:39 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noted

Thanks alot for the thought.

Old 08-01-17, 12:26 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth. I've stretched too many ECO chains to remember, and I can put out a couple watts on a good day. I tried the Model V with hesitance and LOVE the thing.
Old 08-01-17, 03:40 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I've used the motorcycle-type clip link from KMC with Japanese chains before, no problems. Eventually that tiny screw wears out if you take the chain off the bike frequently (I wax), often before the chain does.
Old 08-09-17, 04:17 PM
kings run east

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
D.I.D. NJS: Very similar to the Izumi ECO, but costs $15 more.
It might be worth noting that the D.I.D. has a screwpin master link as well. I personally like these more than quick links, so it's worth the extra $ to me...

Just throwing this out there for others who are considering the Izumi ECO.
Old 08-19-17, 06:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The KMC chain I currently have on my bike has a quick link for easy removal. Have any of you guys ever used those to swap chains between bikes? I've done it on my road bike without issue, despite warnings that the quick links should only be used once. It looks like I may be getting a new frame, and I'm unclear whether this is a good or bad idea on a track bike - assuming the length is correct.
Old 08-19-17, 04:07 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by topflightpro
The KMC chain I currently have on my bike has a quick link for easy removal. Have any of you guys ever used those to swap chains between bikes? I've done it on my road bike without issue, despite warnings that the quick links should only be used once. It looks like I may be getting a new frame, and I'm unclear whether this is a good or bad idea on a track bike - assuming the length is correct.
New chain = new quick link.
Old 08-19-17, 04:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Like the old Regina Oro, I like full bushing chain .. I have 3/32 cogs on the Rohloff the Sturmey, and the Sachs i9..

I got some NOS chain 3/32 full bushing, .. next chain will be 1/8" because that is what is I found, full bushing..

[bushingless types hot punch out the inner link plate forming a partial bushing from the metal punched in to make the hole. (derailleur chain)]
Old 09-17-17, 01:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I've settled on the Izume ~$30 chains (one step up from the Eco I believe). Love 'em. Yes, tey are noisy, but they strike me as very solid and reliable and the least likely to throw off. (Big concern going down major hills. I've come down both descents off Crater Lake, the fun ride into Ashland, OR, nearly all of Portland's west hills descents, likewise the Chelem descents south of Portland.)

I run the black chain on my winter/city/rain fix gear, silver on my custom ti fix gear and gold on my recently "remodeled" Peter Mooney, now also fix gear. I ride the black chains and drive trains into the ground as I never change cogs to change gears. The shiny chains get far more attention as I ride many cogs on those bikes (and they share cogs). Use the Izume quick-link on the silver and just drive the pins back in on the Mooney as it has multiple chainrings set very close and the quick-link is too wide. Both the silver and gold chains sport 1/2 links as required. (Small point that bugs me - when I went to look for chains for all three bikes last spring, no shops had those Izumes or could get them. I had to order them from the UK. Prices were decent and the service fast, but - why not here in the US? I've been buying those chains locally for years.)

Ben
Old 09-18-17, 12:56 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've settled on the Izume ~$30 chains (one step up from the Eco I believe). Love 'em. Yes, tey are noisy, but they strike me as very solid and reliable and the least likely to throw off. (Big concern going down major hills. I've come down both descents off Crater Lake, the fun ride into Ashland, OR, nearly all of Portland's west hills descents, likewise the Chelem descents south of Portland.)

I run the black chain on my winter/city/rain fix gear, silver on my custom ti fix gear and gold on my recently "remodeled" Peter Mooney, now also fix gear. I ride the black chains and drive trains into the ground as I never change cogs to change gears. The shiny chains get far more attention as I ride many cogs on those bikes (and they share cogs). Use the Izume quick-link on the silver and just drive the pins back in on the Mooney as it has multiple chainrings set very close and the quick-link is too wide. Both the silver and gold chains sport 1/2 links as required. (Small point that bugs me - when I went to look for chains for all three bikes last spring, no shops had those Izumes or could get them. I had to order them from the UK. Prices were decent and the service fast, but - why not here in the US? I've been buying those chains locally for years.)

Ben
The KMC K710 or K710SL may meet all of your criteria:

- It's readily available at many local bike shops.
- Comes in multiple colors.
- Is very quiet.
- Is inexpensive.
- Has a quick release instead of a screw pin.
- It takes 1,300kg/2,800lbs to break the K710
- It takes 950kg/2,000lbs to break the K710SL
- There are SIXTEEN variants of the K710/K710SL available (keep clicking next til you see them)

However, it may be slightly (impercievably) heavier than the Izumi ECO. Both are favorites of mine.

Last edited by carleton; 09-18-17 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 04:55 AM
Cgrubb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two chain questions:

I have a Izumi super tough chain - 9 months use (4 hrs per week) - works fine but it is quite noisy - noisier than most other bikes, why?? Is it a chain issue or is it something else? Have tried adjusting the chain tension but seemingly makes no difference.

Secondly, how much chain tension is considered “ideal”? Obviously should not be too tight or too loose; 2-3 cm of slack up and down seems to be what most people go with - is this sensible??

Thanks
Old 11-30-17, 06:32 AM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Noise could be related to the quality of your cogs and chainrings. Carbon frames and disc wheels result in more chain noise too.

I go loose enough that there is no point in the rotation of the cranks where the chain is taught with no slack but tight enough that it can't be forced off the chainring by pushing the chain laterally.
Old 11-30-17, 07:30 AM
Baby Puke

I have always thought the Super Toughness was really noisy, too. I prefer the HKK if you want a Japanese chain. It's just as nice, a bit cheaper, and not as noisy.
Old 11-30-17, 08:35 AM
carleton
Elitist

As the others have stated, it's simply a noisy chain.

The KMC K710 is the most quiet chain I've used...and least expensive...and strongest. Crazy.

...but heaviest, too.
Old 02-15-18, 09:02 AM
V8V

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my bike up recently with an Izumi Standard track chain, but despite good lubrication and a straight chain line it was so noisy I actually found it a bit embarrasing when I was riding it on the track.

Based on recommendations here, have just switched to a KMC K710SL and the noise has completely gone, so another vote for the KMC 710 from me.
Old 02-15-18, 10:09 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Is it possibly just Izumi chains in general are noisy?

My ECO runs like a dream but there's no hiding it's noticeably noisier than the gold KMC it replaced
Old 02-15-18, 10:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Yes. Every Izumi I've used (V Supertoughness and ECO) has been noisy.

It's not a bad thing. It just is.

That noise is amplified by a rear disc, especially the Mavic Comete. Leading riders can hear you approach from behind.
Old 02-15-18, 07:08 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anyone know anything about the KMC City Hunter?

https://kmcchain.us/chain/cityhunter/
Old 02-16-18, 10:50 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Yes. Every Izumi I've used (V Supertoughness and ECO) has been noisy.

It's not a bad thing. It just is.

That noise is amplified by a rear disc, especially the Mavic Comete. Leading riders can hear you approach from behind.
Yeah, but that's a NICE noise! (I like it, but I'm, well, me....)
Old 08-14-18, 06:16 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My favorite chains:
- KMC K-710: This is a BMX freestyle chain that is over-built to withstand harsh BMX street riding. Strong, very quiet, but heavy and hard to remove links. I've broken chain-breakers trying to remove links. Best value.
- KMC K-710 SL: Same as above but lighter than the K710 via the cutouts in the plates. Costs maybe $5 more.
- Izumi ECO: This is my reference chain. My absolute favorite. Solid, strong, not heavy, fair amount of noise.
- D.I.D. NJS: Very similar to the Izumi ECO, but costs $15 more.
- Izumi V Supertoughness: Very similar to the ECO, has a nice screw pin master link, loudest of all of the above....but it's sorta bling. (not a great value at all)...and I'm OK with that Combined with a disc wheel, it actually sort of growls as you approach from behind during match sprints. I've had guys say, "I heard you approaching but I wasn't sure what was happening..."

There are lots of other great chains out there. I just stick to what I know personally.
Took your advise on the Izumi ECO and bought one today. Do you know where I can find spare master links for this chain? I am searching everywhere on the web an nothing comes up.
I raced on the KMC 410H all last week and had no issues.
K-

Last edited by krispenhartung; 08-14-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 07:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by krispenhartung
Took your advise on the Izumi ECO and bought one today. Do you know where I can find spare master links for this chain? I am searching everywhere on the web an nothing comes up.
I raced on the KMC 410H all last week and had no issues.
K-
I'd ask the folks at https://www.retro-gression.com
Old 08-15-18, 05:24 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd ask the folks at https://www.retro-gression.com
Their response: "a 1/8" KMC connector link will work." :-)
Old 08-15-18, 05:42 PM
Baby Puke

The whole master link is not available for the Japanese chains, but the tiny screw and locknut is. That said, the KMC motorcycle-type circlip master link also works.
Old 08-17-18, 12:16 PM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just FYI chains don't stretch over time. Chains are subject to stretch when load is applied but it's not something that changes over time. What people commonly refer to as "chain stretch" is caused by wear on the rollers both outside where they contact the cog/chainrings and on the inside where they contact the bushing (or in the case of a bushingless chain, the inner plates).

At this point I feel 1/8" chains, like thread on cogs, are simply a tradition thing. Given improvements in steel quality and manufacturing a 3/32" or even narrower chain can likely be stronger than a 1/8" chain could be 30+ years ago. Mountain bikes use 11 and 12 speed drive trains these days and see all kinds of extreme torque.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.