Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 11:29 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...doesn't anyone just eat any more.
No. You are either fueling or you are recovering.
Old 09-08-17, 11:38 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I am drinking chocolate pea drink as I type. Yup my daughter left some here. This is Evolve brand.

160 calories and 15g carbs, 20g protein - 10g of fibre, 3g sugar. It has alkalized cocoa powder, and cane sugar and also stevia extract for sweetener. I would rather have it less sweet, or more cane sugar. Nothing wrong with stevia that I've heard, I just don't like the taste and I think more sugar wouldn't hurt.

My opinion is protein is a bit high for an aerobic activity, I'd like more sugar over stevia for taste and for aerobic workouts (like the running I just did) is better.. I can't think it hurts much, this seems more like a post weight lifting drink.

Seems like good quality stuff though.
Old 09-08-17, 12:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
I got a chuckle out of this post. Have you though what is required for recovery after ordinary exercise? Not much, maybe a drink of water to re-hydrate if you haven't been drinking while riding. Vigorous exercise and a long ride. Perhaps a some carbohydrates to renew the stored glycogen that you use during your ride. Protein replacement? That doesn't make much sense as your body is not destroying muscle tissue at a massive rate. The feeling of getting tired is more the result of the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles. During vigorous exercise it builds up faster than the body can remove it so you get tired. Once you stop and rest, your body takes care of itself.

If you know the history of sports drinks like Gatorade, they were modeled after warm blooded Ringers solution. Biology labs use it to keep organs alive for short periods of time. It is supposed to be the exact same concentration of salts and carbohydrates as is in your cellular fluid. The thought was if you drink it you will maintain the salt balance and that would be an improvement over drinking water. The truth is it is very inexpensive to make so there is a lot of profit to be made on it. Thinks a few cents per gallon. The plastic bottle used to package it costs way more than the contents.

Most of the new plant based “milks” are mostly water and sugar with ground up nuts or other plant material. The prices are ridiculous. If you produce a gallon of milk, you need a cow, a place to house it, feed for the cow, milking equipment, refrigerated storage, transportation to a dairy, pasteurization and bottling, and finally a store to sell it. Milk is selling for $2.69 a gallon where I live. I've tried soy “milk” and almond “milk”. Both were far sweeter than regular milk. That may be why so many people drink them as we seem to be addicted to sweet foods.

If you don't like milk or can't tolerate it so be it. That's a valid reason for choosing something else. The idea that having once seen a dairy milking parlor or cows in the field will keep me from drinking milk is ridiculous. I spent 3 years living on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. There was nothing more delicious than a glass of milk drawn from the bulk cooler. It wasn't something I would consume in large quantities because the fat content was over normal whole milk. The dairy industry made a big mistake by not challenging the use of “milk” when it comes to plant based drinks. BTW, better give up pork and beef If you ever saw the way pigs are grown and how bad they smell, you might have the same idea.
Old 09-08-17, 01:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
...doesn't anyone just eat any more.
After a hard workout, chewing is too difficult.
Old 09-08-17, 04:04 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's one of the first days that it has cooled off in northern Cal in recent memory, the delicious ocean breezes are wafting in, again, from the Pacific and cleaning out all the smoke from the various wildfires. So, I said to hell with work and went out and hammered for about 80 miles or so today. It was just too beautiful to resist.

Now, I am unashamedly "recovering" with a big, cold glass of milk that comes packaged in a glass bottle, produced by the contented cows grazing on those gorgeous hills above Tomales Bay, north of San Francisco. In about 2 or 3 hour's time, I will be continuing my "recovery" with a couple pints of my favorite hop milk, also originating from the same general area.
Old 09-08-17, 04:08 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I got a chuckle out of this post. Have you though what is required for recovery after ordinary exercise? Not much, maybe a drink of water to re-hydrate if you haven't been drinking while riding. Vigorous exercise and a long ride. Perhaps a some carbohydrates to renew the stored glycogen that you use during your ride. Protein replacement? That doesn't make much sense as your body is not destroying muscle tissue at a massive rate. The feeling of getting tired is more the result of the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles. During vigorous exercise it builds up faster than the body can remove it so you get tired. Once you stop and rest, your body takes care of itself.

If you know the history of sports drinks like Gatorade, they were modeled after warm blooded Ringers solution. Biology labs use it to keep organs alive for short periods of time. It is supposed to be the exact same concentration of salts and carbohydrates as is in your cellular fluid. The thought was if you drink it you will maintain the salt balance and that would be an improvement over drinking water. The truth is it is very inexpensive to make so there is a lot of profit to be made on it. Thinks a few cents per gallon. The plastic bottle used to package it costs way more than the contents.

Most of the new plant based “milks” are mostly water and sugar with ground up nuts or other plant material. The prices are ridiculous. If you produce a gallon of milk, you need a cow, a place to house it, feed for the cow, milking equipment, refrigerated storage, transportation to a dairy, pasteurization and bottling, and finally a store to sell it. Milk is selling for $2.69 a gallon where I live. I've tried soy “milk” and almond “milk”. Both were far sweeter than regular milk. That may be why so many people drink them as we seem to be addicted to sweet foods.

If you don't like milk or can't tolerate it so be it. That's a valid reason for choosing something else. The idea that having once seen a dairy milking parlor or cows in the field will keep me from drinking milk is ridiculous. I spent 3 years living on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. There was nothing more delicious than a glass of milk drawn from the bulk cooler. It wasn't something I would consume in large quantities because the fat content was over normal whole milk. The dairy industry made a big mistake by not challenging the use of “milk” when it comes to plant based drinks. BTW, better give up pork and beef If you ever saw the way pigs are grown and how bad they smell, you might have the same idea.
BITD we knew the truth about folks like you: COMMIE PINKO SLIME! Why don't you love Murica? You can't fool us. There is no way to do without recovery drinks and foods...

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-08-17, 04:20 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
...just finished a recovery omelette. It contained mushrooms, onions, and smoked salmon.

Fortunately, I read the post about being too tired to chew, so the filling ingredients were diced bite sized.
I am thankful for the collective experience here in the road forum.
Old 09-08-17, 04:24 PM
Doge

Did I just get educated about my ignorance?
At least I own a lactic acid tester.
Old 09-08-17, 04:27 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Scarbo
... I will be continuing my "recovery" with a couple pints of my favorite hop milk, also originating from the same general area.
I thought milk was a color. I'm going to add milk to my chocolate pea shake to get the price up! Not the hop kind.
Old 09-08-17, 04:28 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by Doge
Did I just get educated about my ignorance?
At least I own a lactic acid tester.
...oh yeah ? oh yeah ?! Well I own a Cuisinart. So there.
Old 09-08-17, 04:32 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I thought milk was a color. I'm going to add milk to my chocolate pea shake to get the price up! Not the hop kind.

And what of chocolate milk?
Old 09-08-17, 04:32 PM
Doge

...oh yeah ? oh yeah ?! Well I own a Cuisinart. So there.
Chocolate pea powder only requires a shaker.
Old 09-08-17, 04:33 PM
Doge

And what of chocolate milk?
I'm not adding my Elysian Space Dust to that either.
Old 09-08-17, 04:34 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

And what of that delicious wine that the Germans call: Liebfraumilch? Hmmm?

Go do a Google Translate on that one and we're back to talking about teets, my friend.
Old 09-08-17, 04:45 PM
Doge

And what of that delicious wine that the Germans call: Liebfraumilch? Hmmm?

Go do a Google Translate on that one and we're back to talking about teets, my friend.
I really care a lot more about defining what a road bike is than what milk is.

But that chocolate pea protein is not looking so inexpensive.

I actually don't see it being called milk except by the OP who has left this thread. So we could discuss road bikes now...

Kid about age 12 or so would race with chocolate milk. One day he finished a hot race with dried chocolate milk from head too bike. He forgot and poured it over him to cool down.
He went to straight water after that. But yea, this is a recovery thread. So OT a bit.

Last edited by Doge; 09-08-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 09:18 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
No. You are either fueling or you are recovering.
Or unfueling
Old 09-08-17, 09:32 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
i'm lactose intolerant but I can handle Lactaid or other lactose-free milks but not a large glass at a time. A half-glass is my max. I'll have to try this pea milkjuice thing soon, if I start to need protein up post gym (usually Dec-May). I normally just eat food to replenish- rice, oatmeal, chicken, veggies etc. I'm still looking for a recovery drink.
Old 09-08-17, 09:39 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Or unfueling

...no fueling.
Old 09-08-17, 10:58 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 149 Posts
Here's what I've found.

If I eat my normal pre ride meal with whey protein, I'll crop dust you for a number of miles.

If I eat it with pea, or other plant based protein, you're mostly safe.

Take your pick.
Old 09-09-17, 03:49 PM
Doge

Just on the wee chance the OP is still reading or anyone cares.

The most effective proteins are animal product. Search PER or Protein efficiency ratio and you can find more information. If you find calcium casinate, or sodium calcium caseinate these cost more (3X?), don't dissolve as well, but are better digested by some. Whey protein is economical and what most powders use. You can get better PER, but normally need to go to meats. So for powders Casein has a 2.5, peas have a 1.2-1.42 (yellow).

As this thread is not about pre-meal, fueling or body building, rather recovery from an aerobic activity you really don't need all that protein.

I had some more after my ride today, to recover. I think it worked pretty well. I likely could have done as well with the heavy toast and dark chocolate, but I made a shake with the Fair Life milk and it was good.

Then I had an IPA...

Last edited by Doge; 09-09-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 06:18 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm actually amazed by how much before you were in since I believe this thread is still going at 120 replies. I popped back in to find out what's keeping the balloon aloft.
Old 09-09-17, 06:48 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by Ramona_W
I popped back in to find out what's keeping the balloon aloft.
... pea milk gives me terrible gas.
Old 09-10-17, 01:34 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 370 Posts
When did peas get nipples?
Old 09-10-17, 09:41 AM
Doge

I read the "milk" in the title, but I can find the word when I buy it, or when I mix it.
I believe the OP (who we have not heard from since post 1), just means the pea protein powder and milk - other than the color has nothing to do with it.
It is not a milk substitute and didn't come from a gland. It seems to be crushed peas and coco and stuff.

Or is there a milk in this someplace?
Old 09-10-17, 09:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I read the "milk" in the title, but I can find the word when I buy it, or when I mix it.
I believe the OP (who we have not heard from since post 1), just means the pea protein powder and milk - other than the color has nothing to do with it.
It is not a milk substitute and didn't come from a gland. It seems to be crushed peas and coco and stuff.

Or is there a milk in this someplace?
No milk, but not the powder either, in this case. Or so his post reads...to me. The way I read it, it is a liquid beverage offered in the cold dairy case along with the other veggie "milks" like soy and almond, but already sweetened and chocolatized like the packaged chocolate milk.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.