Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Rolling Coal" getting spewed in southern Ohio

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Rolling Coal" getting spewed in southern Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 04:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by tajar66
I read an article awhile ago that the over all carbon footprint of a Prius out weighs any gas vehicle. True or not I don't know,so of the points of battery manufacturing and transportation of raw good sounded reasonable.
There *is* the issue of the "environmental friendliness" of battery manufacture and recycling. One likes to think it's done with regard for minimizing pollution. The same argument can be made for PV solar collectors. Or bicycles!
However, many of the same environmental impacts/carbon footprint issues apply to fossil fuel powered cars (maybe not so much batteries, but steel and aluminum production, plastics, tires, glass, etc. are much the same).
The question is whether the *overall* footprint is different. Over a vehicle's lifetime, the manufacturing footprint of a hybrid or electric car is probably compensated for sooner than a gas-powered car. I say "probably" because I don't have a source for that... but I would be very surprised if it's not true.
Steve
Old 09-11-17, 04:37 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Statistics can mean just about whatever you want them to mean (for and against hybrids/electrics and a host of other things).
Old 09-11-17, 07:05 PM
roogie

Bikes: Trek 1.2C, Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
BTW, do I know you from Hanks?
Yes, same one.

roog
Old 09-11-17, 08:25 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by roogie
Yes, same one.

roog
Old 09-11-17, 08:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Yep.

In California we've developed a vaccine, administered to male children at birth, that has just about wiped out the practice here. Good luck.
If only it was true.

I encounter these little bastards at least one or twice a month.
Old 09-13-17, 07:32 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Not so sure about "thankfully"... I drive a Prius!
Come to think of it, what about the Teslas, Leafs, and other electrics and hybrids? Why pick on only Priuses?
I haven't seen this in Chicago... and there are lots of hybrids.
Not so much "good" that they pick on anyone, but better the people being smoked out are less vulnerable road users, and the people they act like jacknuts to are in an enclosed and filtered environment.

As to why Priuses: they were the original "eco-friendly" car, bought up by evangelical environmentalists. South Park did a whole episode on their "smug". Teslas aren't really marketed towards environmentalists, they are more geared towards the performance/techy well-to-do crowd. I doubt most people even know what a Leaf is, they aren't really all that well known or identifiable from any other cheap econobox. Any other hybrid is rather indistinguishable from its non-hybrid counterparts unless you are looking for tiny little badges.
Old 09-13-17, 08:09 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Not so much "good" that they pick on anyone, but better the people being smoked out are less vulnerable road users, and the people they act like jacknuts to are in an enclosed and filtered environment.
True ^^. However, if you look, you will find videos posted by "good ol' boys" smoking cyclists and pedestrians. Not nice or harmless.

The other thing about the Prius is it's a funny looking thing (at least the older ones). I refer to mine as "The Silver Cockroach".
Steve
Old 09-13-17, 09:19 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
It's probably because the Prius was the first widely-sold hybrid, and those early models *were* pretty weird!
I don't take it as an insult at all. I'll take a lot of ribbing while I'm driving around averaging 45 - 50 MPG. The ribbing will mostly disappear when gas prices get back over $5 a gallon.
Steve
I'm also all for fuel economy. Up to 50 mpg is nothing new. I recall the old 1980's VW Rabbit 1.6L diesels also got the same fuel economy. But the biggest factor is how you drive it. Higher speed on the highway, fast starts and accelerating uphill are some ways to kill fuel economy pretty quickly. The Prius is probably better for city stop and go driving. And the Rabbit diesel is probably better for highway driving. Only thing that scares me with the Prius (or any battery powered car) is the replacement cost when the batteries start to lose their capacity. I think the replacement cost would be high enough to basically total your car at that point.

Edit: I'm pleasantly surprised that Toyota has a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. Also replacement seems to be around $3000 or less depending on where you go. I was thinking it would be higher...

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/...s-battery-dies

Last edited by ptempel; 09-13-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 12:21 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by ptempel
Only thing that scares me with the Prius (or any battery powered car) is...
I was concerned about the complexity of the car. I used to do my own oil changes, valve adjustments, and other relatively minor service procedures. No more! But I relaxed a bit when I realized that *huge* numbers of taxi cabs in Chicago are Priuses... not a good service life for a temperamental vehicle. I've had mine for 5 years and 50,000 miles and the only money I've spent was for oil changes and wiper blades.
Steve
Old 09-13-17, 12:46 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You mean 911? Can you get in trouble for excessive use of it?
Police also have a non-emergency number.
Old 09-13-17, 02:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You mean 911?
no, when I call the police to report something, I call the non emergency # of the closest police station & start by saying: "this is not an emergency" I have all the towns' police #s in the towns that I ride in my phone. too many times I've called to have the dispatcher say, that's not my town, you have to call such & such ...
Old 09-13-17, 04:55 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Thankfully, it is pretty much reserved for Priuses around me.

If one was repeatedly doing it to me, I'd think a water bottle into the mirror would be a good remedy. Mirrors on those trucks are not cheap, and I like to think that I can justify it as self-defense.
The problem is that those guys with the big trucks also tend to be carrying a gun somewhere under their bellies.

"Rolling coal" and worse has been a problem since I began riding a bike, a long time ago. And if there are fewer such trucks in California (where I spent many years riding), there are many others kinds of vehicles and drivers, who express their anger at sharing the road in other ways. I have never seen more road rage fights (people duking it out on the road) than I have in California.
Old 09-13-17, 09:07 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
The problem is that those guys with the big trucks also tend to be carrying a gun somewhere under their bellies.

"Rolling coal" and worse has been a problem since I began riding a bike, a long time ago. And if there are fewer such trucks in California (where I spent many years riding), there are many others kinds of vehicles and drivers, who express their anger at sharing the road in other ways. I have never seen more road rage fights (people duking it out on the road) than I have in California.

The problem lies in their ability to find said weapons under all that blubber in order to be effective in time to respond with any sense of immediacy! But, I tend to agree (and I've said before!) that it is wise not to go too far out of your way to antagonize bubbas.

As for California having the most road rage incidents, I suppose that is only to be expected since California is the most populous state in the nation by far.
Old 09-13-17, 10:03 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Sangetsu
I'd be willing to bet against it. Like most bullies, they are far more bark than bite.

In any case, if one were regularly smoking me out, there really isn't much stopping me from taking that same visible action before resorting to water bottle tossing.
Old 09-14-17, 03:12 AM
Sangetsu

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I'd be willing to bet against it. Like most bullies, they are far more bark than bite.

In any case, if one were regularly smoking me out, there really isn't much stopping me from taking that same visible action before resorting to water bottle tossing.
For whatever reason, when people are behind the wheel of a vehicle, they tend to become more aggressive than they might otherwise be. People who are normally easygoing and polite can become quite obnoxious. Bump shoulders with someone on a sidewalk, train, or bus, and there is usually a quick apology. Cut someone off on a road or highway, or impeding someone from driving as they want to drive often leads to stupidly aggressive, dangerous behavior. I was a cop in South Florida, and learned that finding a gun in one of these redneck trucks was as common as finding a box of snuff. It's part of the image.
Old 09-14-17, 09:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If they're sociopathic enough to modify their truck to produce excess pollution in order to smoke people on the side of the road out to get a few jollies, they're likely to also be carrying a firearm and probably wouldn't have qualms about using it.
Old 09-14-17, 10:17 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If they're sociopathic enough to modify their truck to produce excess pollution in order to smoke people on the side of the road out to get a few jollies, they're likely to also be carrying a firearm and probably wouldn't have qualms about using it.
Quite the over generalization, no? What if it is the guy in the 69 Camaro, who lights them up next to me when the light turns green and smokes out the intersection. I've seen that before, should I worry about a gun there, too?

Really no different than saying all kitted out roadies disregard traffic regulations to purposefully cause problems, thinking they are above the law.
Old 09-14-17, 11:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Hot rodding is a lot different than modifying an engine to deliberately spew black smoke on someone at the push of a button. One is a show of machismo, the other is totally antisocial and sociopathic behavior. I would not be offended by someone who peeled out at at a stop light, but someone who deliberately tries to pollute my lungs with partially burnt hydrocarbons is another story.
Old 09-14-17, 12:22 PM
jefnvk

Both are reckless actions to get a rise out of the user and elicit a response out of whomever is around them. One and the same in my book.
Old 09-14-17, 02:36 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's illegal, even in rural Ohio. From 2014
But roll coal on a public highway in view of a state trooper, and you are looking at a ticket for “excessive smoke.”

The section of the Ohio Revised Code that prohibits smokey vehicles also applies to loud mufflers. It’s enforced, too, Ohio State Highway Patrol records show. Since 2011, 67 tickets have been issued for either loud or smokey mufflers in Montgomery County, eight tickets in Clark, 15 in Greene, one in Darke, four in Miami, 10 in Warren and 20 in Butler.

Erie County must be a hot spot for muffler malfunction - either intentional or not - because it by far tops enforcement in the state with 261 tickets issued.

“Obviously, the Ohio Revised Code covers the fact that you can’t modify a vehicle to spew excessive smoke,” said Ohio State Patrol Spokesman Craig Cvetan “We have no jurisdiction on private property. If a trooper finds a vehicle out on the road like that, we will take enforcement action. Everybody has the same rights on the roadway, and you have the right to drive without inhaling excessive smoke.”
Federal Law also:
t is a violation of the [Clean Air Act] to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop the sale of defeat devices.

The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 09-15-17, 12:11 PM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roogie
Illegal in Colorado, plus it's very bad for diesel engines since diesel fuel cools the injectors. Very stupid practice.

roog

Messing with the emissions system can also void your vehicle warranty.