Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 09-08-17, 07:00 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
oh wow. adjustable top tube. what could go wrong?

let's see though. it looks like an attempt to build a configurable superbike, mid-90s? the handlebars look like they're for a superman position, and at first I was going to suspect an O'bree Egg position was the purpose behind the others until (where's my cup of coffee?) I realized that the ones on the top tube aren't gonna steer the bike. So what the hell are they for?
Old 09-08-17, 07:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Maybe it is set up to add onto another bike for a make-shift tandem?
Old 09-08-17, 07:32 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

but why bother, because if you convert it to a single, how's somebody supposed to ride it with that thing welded to the top tube?

unless - i'm starting to see that maybe the toptube handlebar and the seattube are bolted to the top tube? they look welded, too, but maybe that's just a skirt of some sort.
Old 09-09-17, 08:12 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper to make a proper tandem and a single rather than that mess?

If you wanted to steer from the bullhorns you could have strings or a linkage to the steering bars. It wouldn't make it any weirder than it already is.

edit:
And I hope that extensible tube is keyed or ovalized. I can imagine some unpleasantness if it's round and it starts to slip.

On second inspection it looks like it would make a lousy back of a tandem because you'd be counting on the top tube for all the stiffness (lateral and vertical). It doesn't look like it's designed to bolt a downtube on the front of the BB.

Last edited by bitingduck; 09-09-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 09:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
Do you have the same as Planet X, Dolan, Velodrome Shop, Brooks, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Ribble, Merlin, etc.
No.

We can order from them, but they are not local to the US. It is an international transaction.

You don't have In and Out Burger??
Old 09-09-17, 10:37 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
There are web-order places in NA, it's just they're all mountain bike and road focused. Performancebike, nashbar, coloroadocyclist, ...

There are very few websites in NA that sell track stuff, and those that do have a very limited scope/brands. Ben's cycle is decent, and I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Business cycles was really good when it was around but the owner retired. Sadly, there actually used to be more track part availability 15+ years ago even though the sport was smaller then.
Old 09-09-17, 10:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

Retro-gression is pretty good. They are street fixie focused, but have a good selection of race gear as well. I've ordered quite a bit from them over the years (DA cranks, a set of Zen rings, fork, accessories, etc...). My last order was maybe 6 weeks ago. Their prices are the lowest I've seen.

https://www.retro-gression.com/

It's owned by @Scrodzilla here on bikeforums.
Old 09-10-17, 06:30 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
No.

We can order from them, but they are not local to the US. It is an international transaction.

You don't have In and Out Burger??
Had to google that, never heard of them.

What about any of the mainland Europe shops such as https://www.bike24.com/
Old 09-10-17, 11:37 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Poppit
Had to google that, never heard of them.

What about any of the mainland Europe shops such as https://www.bike24.com/
Poppit, we have large chain bicycle shops in the US like Performance Bike and Richardson Bike Mart, but they simply do not carry large selections of track racing equipment. You may see the fixie/track offering from a major manufacturer there (e.g. Specialized Langster), but you won't be able to get common race kit like: Shimano/Zen/FSA chainrings, Casco Warp 3 helmets, Mavic Ellipse, 3T Scatto, or Toshi/Velcro pedal straps.

In the US, cycling is a nice sport and track cycling is a niche within that niche sport. Living in Atlanta, which has a vibrant cycling race scene (Road, Criterium, CX, MTB, and Track) and 1 or 2 standard local bikes shop every 5-10 miles or so, track racing equipment is still hard to come by. The phrases I hear most often are, "No...we don't have that." and "We might be able to order it for you." If that's the case, I can order for myself for less money, have it here faster, and it will be delivered to my doorstep and I don't have to fight traffic to come pick up my parts. It's frustrating.

Even with such a vibrant scene, I still find myself often having to describe track racing to fellow COMPETITIVE CYCLISTS. "It's a 'VELO-drome'. It's an oval track...sorta like NASCAR. You may have seen it in the Olympics...."
Old 09-11-17, 01:31 AM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Whaddya guys make of this?
Looking at the amount of padding or tape on those top "bars" I'm going to guess it's a bike that was used for long sessions of aero testing. The bars may be to rest the shoulders/chest on so as the position can be dialed in without fatigue affecting it too badly and the rider getting sloppy with position
Old 09-11-17, 08:40 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by brawlo
Looking at the amount of padding or tape on those top "bars" I'm going to guess it's a bike that was used for long sessions of aero testing. The bars may be to rest the shoulders/chest on so as the position can be dialed in without fatigue affecting it too badly and the rider getting sloppy with position
that's a good hypothesis. the whole bike seems designed around quick changes to position. can't tell about the stem, but it seems like the height of the bars can be easily changed, and the overall reach can be changed with two hex bolts. definitely a lot less work than playing with different bike sizes, changing stems, looking for different angles, etc.
Old 09-11-17, 04:45 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
As it sits in the picture, it seems like the rider would need go-go Gadget arms to ride it.
Old 09-11-17, 05:13 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Looks like riders might end up with bruised inner legs from the big top tube if the bike was rideable.
Old 09-12-17, 07:48 AM
TDinBristol

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Looks like riders might end up with bruised inner legs from the big top tube if the bike was rideable.
It's a bike built to be used in either of the "Obree positions." Unbolt the front bars and shorten the top tube with the telescoping device, and you get the Obree "ski racer" position. Unbolt the top bars and lengthen the top tube and you have the "Superman" position. Both positions are now banned:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Graeme+Obree.jpg (55.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (10.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-12-17, 08:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

But the bars on the top tube can't steer the bike.
Old 09-12-17, 08:13 AM
TDinBristol

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
But the bars on the top tube can't steer the bike.
I'd guess there's a steering link that would set up somehow with the front of the fork - when the TT is shorter they would line up in a straight line. But there'd have to be some kind of rotation from the top bars.
Old 09-13-17, 12:13 PM
700wheel

I found this photo of an overgrown Velodrome. Anyone know where it is?
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4VelnfS9uT...odromejax1.JPG
Old 09-13-17, 12:22 PM
topflightpro

Jacksonville, Fla. https://www.facebook.com/JacksonvilleVelodrome/

https://jacksonville.com/sports/outdo...side-velodrome

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/trainin...me-ride-video/
Old 09-13-17, 09:59 PM
bitingduck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LA 2028 is now official

Rumors are that they plan to build a new velodrome for it that doesn't have pillars interrupting the sight lines. It's not obvious if it would be a third LA track or replace one of the existing ones.
Old 09-14-17, 08:34 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bitingduck
LA 2028 is now official

Rumors are that they plan to build a new velodrome for it that doesn't have pillars interrupting the sight lines. It's not obvious if it would be a third LA track or replace one of the existing ones.
Congrats!...and I'm sorry (hahaha)

The new athletic and housing facilities will be worth the temporary headache of the increased tourist traffic. Getting in and out of Atlanta was a huge PITA in 1996, but it was worth it.
Old 09-14-17, 10:04 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by carleton
Congrats!...and I'm sorry (hahaha)

The new athletic and housing facilities will be worth the temporary headache of the increased tourist traffic. Getting in and out of Atlanta was a huge PITA in 1996, but it was worth it.
You know, I don't remember it being that bad. I took a trip out of town during the week, and Hartsfield wasn't too awful.

I did get a little lost driving home from the Olympic Park the night of the bombing, I was there an hour prior. This was before cell phones and my mother was at home freaking out. I didn't know anything had happened until I got home, which was well after my allowed curfew.
Old 09-14-17, 10:20 AM
700wheel

LA 2028 is now official

My guess is that the StubHub Center Velodrome will be used as proposed by LA
https://la.curbed.com/2016/2/18/1108...-2024-ucla-bid
As I read somewhere Paris and LA being the sole bidders they are able to make demands on the IOC rather than visa versa.
Maybe the track will need resurfacing before 2028.
Unfortunately not much room to add bleachers.

It would be nice if USAC members could have first choice on tickets.

By the way I lived in the LA area during the 84 Olympics. The 7-11 track was close to my home and work place but had no problem traveling around LA on business as long as one avoided rush hour. The 84 game venues were located over a very wide area. Of course traffic has got heavier since 84.
Old 09-14-17, 10:31 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LA 2028 is now official

I have heard that they intend to demolish the building surrounding the track and enlarge it. It is not clear whether the track itself will be preserved or replaced. In any case, its 11 years from now, so anything is possible.
Old 09-14-17, 10:49 AM
topflightpro

Pretty sure first dibs are going to big corporate sponsors.
Old 09-14-17, 02:52 PM
bitingduck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My guess is that the StubHub Center Velodrome will be used as proposed by LA
https://la.curbed.com/2016/2/18/1108...-2024-ucla-bid
As I read somewhere Paris and LA being the sole bidders they are able to make demands on the IOC rather than visa versa.
Maybe the track will need resurfacing before 2028.
Given that it's in a temp and humidity controlled building, it will likely still be in pretty good shape. Maybe a light sanding.

Unfortunately not much room to add bleachers.
According to various things I heard when it opened, I thought the layout supported adding another 1000 or so temporary seats for spectators.

If by tickets you mean "opportunities to volunteer to make things run" that's probably true. Event tickets with seats will be another thing altogether.

The 84 game venues were located over a very wide area. Of course traffic has got heavier since 84.
I live far from the velodrome and if I'm still here in 2028 would have no trouble missing the impact of the games entirely, even though it's likely that there will be a lot going on a few miles away from me at the Rose Bowl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.