Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

The best headlights under $50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 07:37 AM
Cosmicyclist

Bikes: Giant Cypress LX (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Metro 550. It's very bright, not too heavy and I love the fact that it can be charged by USB, too.
Old 04-22-17, 08:40 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I bought one of these:

6200LM 3x CREE T6 LED Bicycle Bike Light Headlight Flashlight+Battery+Charger UK | eBay

I paid £16 which included shipping costs (approx $22 USD) ....

seller advertises it as 6200 lumens. What I can however say is that I have been using it for several weeks and commute at night, 5 days a week on very dark cyclepaths/back roads. I use it with the headband that was supplied and it has 3 settings (low, medium, high) ....

On low, it is very very bright and works brilliantly with the headband. I have only used it on the low setting

The battery pack is placed in my cycling jacket pocket. I have not tried mounting it on my handlebar as I don't like faffing around in the dark with rubber bands every time I need to mount or dismount it.

It came with the battery pack, charger, headband and rubber mounting straps. I have had a few cyclists asking me where I bought it and how much it costs. I use this in conjuction with my Cygolite Hotshot which is mounted on my rear pannier rack.

It's been one of my best buys so far
Great thread!!!

I did order a similar one (rated differently...) from Gearbest that should arrive next week. I hope its good! I love night riding and there some areas on my desired route where street lights are far in between and i need to be seen by crazy drivers. I hope its good and has a wide pattern! We will see, i mean for $18 worse case scenario it gets me by just fine for now and i can pass it down to my other bike.

Marsing X3 2500Lm Cree XML T6 LED Bicycle Light Set-20.97 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
Old 04-23-17, 12:05 PM
euclidean plane

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ty
Old 05-16-17, 11:03 AM
A0X0M0X0A

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get these super bright tactical Cree led flashlights on the web for under $10 if you look around.
they are super bright, they has a flash setting and some of them have 5 different power settings.

I get them from a site in china for about $5 without batteries, but they are the. same thing.
this one is on amazon for $10

Outlite A100 Portable Ultra Bright LED Handheld Flashlight with Adjustable Focus and 5 Light Modes

then you can get a $3 bike flashlight mount and you are ready to go.

this is at least what my son and I did and they work great.
although i am going to make a Velcro strap to hold the light in in case it ever pops out. It hasn't but it seems like it will.
Old 06-05-17, 02:03 AM
Summer06

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm new to this forum and i found this thread was started from 2008? wow, that's really a long time ago, people are really so interested in this kind of product?
Old 06-06-17, 08:54 AM
Lumin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lights

I like the Lumintrail lights. The LuminTrail LTC-7043 is $20 and does a good job for simple rides from A to B. If I'm going a short distance I usually will use this light for my bike.

But what's nice is they also have a 3000 lumen headlight for night riders. A friend of mine is doing an everesting adventure and he picked up that light for the night rides.

They usually have some good deals and are available on Amazon too so prime members get free shipping. Hard to beat that.
Old 07-30-17, 11:19 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Great thread!!!

I did order a similar one (rated differently...) from Gearbest that should arrive next week. I hope its good! I love night riding and there some areas on my desired route where street lights are far in between and i need to be seen by crazy drivers. I hope its good and has a wide pattern! We will see, i mean for $18 worse case scenario it gets me by just fine for now and i can pass it down to my other bike.

Marsing X3 2500Lm Cree XML T6 LED Bicycle Light Set-20.97 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
Here's the review I left a while ago regarding a similar light from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/review/RA7DY63...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Old 10-03-17, 02:51 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just received this set and for 26 bucks its a great deal. I ride in the early morning (4:30) and go out where there are no streetlights and this light on the low setting was better than what I was using before on high. Good amount of light and a pretty wide beam.

Not crazy about the mount but otherwise it's a great buy for someone looking for a low cost light. Even the tailight is pretty good. On high it's more noticeable than the Blitzu I have.
Old 10-03-17, 06:15 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It may be decent, but it gets an F from fakespot for the reviews. I tend to avoid Chinese knock off products with fake reviews.
Old 10-04-17, 11:40 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
This is just one reviewer of many. She's obviously being paid somehow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/am..._d_pdp?ie=UTF8

She hasn't found a product she doesn't like yet.........and all that buying activity LOL
Old 10-08-17, 11:25 AM
PeterMike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Here's the review I left a while ago regarding a similar light from Amazon:
Wow very helpful review, thanks
Old 10-10-17, 09:11 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
This is just one reviewer of many. She's obviously being paid somehow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/am..._d_pdp?ie=UTF8

She hasn't found a product she doesn't like yet.........and all that buying activity LOL
I can guarantee you are correct.

I'm a top 100 Amazon reviewer (who does NOT review free sample giveaway crap. I did for a little while a couple years ago until I realized what a scam it was and stopped AND deleted any review I'd done fro that junk)

Anyway I still get the emails begging me to review free stuff. Now they offer to repay me for the purcahse price via PayPal, which is VERY against Amazon's terms of service.

Here's the cut and pasted email I got on Sept 25th about this exact same trail camera your friend here reviewed...

https://www.amazon.com/Enkeeo-Wildli...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Are you interested in 90% discount trail CAMERA?
Could you help record a video on Amazon and social app?
And I will refund you 90% by paypal after you review it with video.
If you are interested in it,please give me your profile.
And i will tell you how to process.
For the record, Amazon DOES NOT CARE that this is going on.

I've sent Amazon notice that their platform is discredited with thsi crap with specific examples of sellers ignoring the terms of service. This is the latest response I got from the Amazon Executive Team. I bolded the important part where Amazon politely says "We're pushed this outside of what we choose to look at so we can claim plausible deniability now, so get lost"

Greetings from Amazon.com,

Hello, my name is Jake and I’m a member of the Amazon.com Executive Seller Relations Team. Jeff Bezos received your email and requested that I research this issue and respond on his behalf.

Thank you for writing to us with this potential fraudulent activity regarding selling on Amazon.

After researching your request, it appears that this email came to you outside of the Amazons platform. While we appreciate you bringing this information to our attention, unfortunately Amazon cannot take any immediate action against these types of infractions unless they are performed within our site. However, please be advised that I have gathered this instance and provided it to our Business Development team in order to better improve our systems.

We always encourage our Customers to exercise caution when dealing with such contacts. Should you feel that an offer from a third party violates the Amazon terms of service, you would be correct in not responding to them.

While this instance does not apply, we do encourage you to report any fraudulent activity that does take place on the platform. You may use the form below to report any future observed violations. Be sure to include as much detail as possible and all relevant information:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...uestions.html?

Thank you for your assistance in making Amazon.com a better place for both Sellers and Buyers.
Old 10-13-17, 07:18 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I recently bought this headlight/tailight combo from Nashbar and am very pleased with it.

Niterider Lumina Micro 450 / Sabre 50 Light Combo - Exclusive

I already had another even brighter Niterider headlight, but had been riding with PB Superflash (prob .5W) and Radbot 1000 tail lights.

The tail light in this combo set is very small and very light - way lighter than say the Radbot 1000. Before I turned it on I wasn't expecting much...but I was wrong. It's much brighter and casts a wider light than the Radbot or the PBSF. There are several modes - three different blinking modes and also two or three solid modes.

The headlight is more than adequate for my needs riding early mornings or into the early evenings. My other Niterider is a bigger heavier headlight, but this new one provides enough light that I don't even put it on high - usually use it on one the lowest of the main three setting (not the "be seen" setting).

There are similar Niterider combos for a bit more $ - but I like the balance of this headlight. My larger Niterider headlight has a tendency to slowly tilt forward if it's secured on a round part of the handlebar. The one with this combo is shorter and smaller and doesn't seem to have that tendency as much.

Anyway - for $50 this is IMO a very good combo for anyone looking for lights. USB rechargeable, and the charge seems to last a long time.

I have used the no-name headlights from Ebay/Amazon that have external battery packs. They provided adequate light, but the batteries didn't last long and relatively quickly could hold less and less charge.
Old 10-13-17, 10:01 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
The thread title should be "Good headlights..." not "Best headlights"--there are now 800+ headlights that are all "best".
Old 10-31-17, 04:25 PM
enes13mes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im making a list for lights will be up soon
Old 11-05-17, 11:26 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I've been using the Cygolite Dash 350 headlight for a little over a year. It's lightweight and sufficiently bright for my year-round commute.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-12-17, 09:25 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If $50 is the definition of cheap in this thread, whats the definition of good, effective and bright?

There are several evolutions of bike lamps:
  1. flashlight body with mount for use on handlebar
  2. offroad mtb lamp with round shaped reflector and low luminous flux (<200lm)
  3. offroad mtb lamp with round shaped reflector and medium luminous flux (200 - <900lm)
  4. offroad mtb lamp with round shaped reflector and high luminous flux (900 - 4500lm) examples: YinDing, Lupine
  5. bicycle lamp with reflector optics/cut-off beam and low illuminance (<40lx) examples: B&M Ixon, Cateye HL-EL500
  6. bicycle lamp with reflector optics/cut-off beam and medium illuminance (50-100lx) examples: B&M Ixon IQ Premium, Cateye Volt 80
  7. bicycle lamp with reflector optics/dual beam and high illuminance (150-380lx) examples: B&M Ixon Space, Supernova M99 series

The difference between headlamp and headlight can be told as follows:
"headlamp is the term for the device itself, while headlight properly refers to the beam of light produced and distributed by the device"
wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

So for class 5/6 there are now even chinese designed lamps without brand:
banggood.com/XANES-SFL04-750LM-T6-LED-German-Standard-Smart-Induction-Bicycle-Light-IPX4-USB-Rechargeable-Large-F-p-1217023.html
banggood.com/XANES-1500-Lumens-Led-Bicycle-Lights-MTB-Cycling-Front-Head-Lamps-Safety-Usb-Charge-Cycling-Light-p-1216450.html

Last edited by angerdan; 11-12-17 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-16-17, 07:46 PM
shadowsspy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont bother with buying a biking specific light i just spent like 30 bucks on a black diamon Ion headlamp about 100 lumens but it serves me better than a bike light i get more use out of a headlight especially when walking the bike trail or riding the bike trail.
Old 12-16-17, 08:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you guys still at it on this? after 33 pages?
Old 12-17-17, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you guys still at it on this? after 33 pages?
Available bike lights under $50 change every year or so. Some are discontinued. Others are reduced in price. Feedback in this thread two or more years ago may no longer be relevant. I still peek in at this thread occasionally to see what other folks have found recently.
Old 12-17-17, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I read all threads about lights. I'm obsessed with knowing how each light works.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-17, 05:14 AM
kahuamp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about those Vibiker headlights? the ones that have a single Led and a square beam? are they any good?
Old 12-18-17, 08:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nope, unknown ... send a link .. Busch & Muller have a shaped beam I have those. x 4 1 is a battery light. 3 are wired.
Old 12-18-17, 08:43 AM
kahuamp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Nope, unknown ... send a link .. Busch & Muller have a shaped beam I have those. x 4 1 is a battery light. 3 are wired.
Unfortunately I cannot post url until after 10 posts on the forum.

It's a light set from amazon, sometimes sold as Vibiker, sometimes as TopTrek or something like that.......
Old 12-18-17, 01:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuamp
Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about those Vibiker headlights? the ones that have a single Led and a square beam? are they any good?
The lights look okay and the prices are lower than average for comparable lights (in lumens). And the vendors are offering discounts. Might be worth a risk.

But I wouldn't pay attention to the many five star reviews on Amazon. Fakespot flags them as mostly fake, shills, etc., and gives the overall reviews a grade of F. Too bad because the lights may actually be okay, but the shill reviews lower the credibility of the seller and the product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.